La Rondalla Mexican Restaurant and Bar
901 Valencia Street
San Francisco, CA 94110Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
La Rondalla Mexican Restaurant and Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.larondallasf.com/
- Phone: 4158298444x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Tuesday through Sunday 11:30am until 3pm
Dinner Tuesday through Thrusday 4pm until 2:30am
Dinner Friday and Saturday 4pm until 3:30am
Dinner Sunday 4pm until 12a
Happy Hour 4pm until 7pm - Monday through Friday.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from La Rondalla Mexican Restaurant and Bar
Re-opening of La Rondalla!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
La Rondalla Mexican Restaurant and Bar - Best Restaurants in Mission ›
La Rondalla Mexican Restaurant and Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
23 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.3Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (11)good for groups (10)vibrant bar scene (8)late-night find (7)hot spot (6)special occasion (3)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (2)Show More
- Glad to see La Rondalla is BackSpencerVIPDined on 9/6/2014It seems like an eternity that this restaurant was closed, so we were a bit skeptical that (a) our memory of it was accurate, and (b) that it could still deliver. We were pleasantly surprised. The food was quite good -- not amazing but good -- and the margaritas as well. The restuarant has been a bit over-renovated and most of the charm and character removed. No more Christmas lights, which is part of what they were so famous for. The lighting is a bit too bright and the wall decorations too spare. But all in all, we are glad to see this neighborhood icon back in the saddle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- service not goodkateDined on 9/5/2014My girl friend and I went for a late night dinner. At the staff was slammed and pretty much ignored us. The foos was ok. I wouldn't return as there are many good options in the area.
- Loved it!FoodfanDined on 7/26/2014We ate dinner here with a group of friends. We were in the mood for margs and mexican food, and we were not disappointed! The food and drinks were delish and the staff were so friendly! We will definitely go back!Special Features:
- Late on a week nightRegularDinerVIPDined on 7/9/2014Was able to stop by for a margarita and a tasty tostada --- something light. Found parking on the street nearby. It worked out well and the food was nice and fresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New TraditionsVampyreVampDined on 7/1/2014La Rondalla was a Mission neighborhood cornerstone with its hard working waitresses who gave the place a sense of home, the curled-edged photos on the wall and the colourful holiday lights. Even though the lights looked like they'd been there since the restaurant first opened they made it feel like there was alway a party. There is a lovely photo of the original owners but the snapshots were a living history. The margaritas are just as good today as before and the food too but the place looks almost like any other place with its brightly painted pictures of mythologized images. It almost loses its "dive" status. I'm thrilled it has reopened, I've been peeking in the window faithfully, but I miss the holiday lights!Special Features:
- Not what I'd hoped.sanzVIPDined on 6/17/2014One cannot expect the dining experiences of the past to be recreated in the present. That just doesn't happen. And I won't bore you with tales of La Rondalla of yesteryear. Suffice it to say that I grew up on 24th Street, starting in the fifties, and the Mission was the neighborhood, playground. We had lunch at La Rondalla during the World Cup excitement. I was very okay with the serious noise, and quite happy with the excellent televisions. The service wasn't great, but it was the food that made me decide that I wouldn't go back. It was bland; one item tasting just like the others. There was nothing authentic or distinct in flavor, and the food items were covered with a CHEDDAR cheese blend. Who does that to Mexican food?!?!Special Features:
- It's back!!!NVfoodieVIPDined on 5/25/2014La Rondalla is back and better than ever. The remodel is beautiful and food it still outstanding. The Margaritas are fantastic and will knock you out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- La Rondalla is BackRegularDinerVIPDined on 5/23/2014Wonderful that this restaurant is back in business after a long rest and festive remodel. This restaurant has great original Mission District ambiance with consistently traditional and relatively healthy (could always use less salt for me) Mexican food that is prepared fresh (original cook is back with a new kitchen). They have a nice new bar and they still have the margarita's by the pitcher. Welcome back, La Rondalla, and best wishes.Special Features:
- reunionnightsDined on 5/23/2014A close group of friends used to meet here many years ago for our weekly "carne asada nights". We had been looking forward to the reopening. A group of six of us (the fellas) sat at a community table in the bar area. Not sure if our experience would have been as good in the dining area. Our Carne Asada was as delicious as before although now they have two versions. We had the La Rondalla Especial Carne Asada. The owner was happy to see us all again after so many years, and we had a great time. It is a lot louder than before but since we were in the bar area it just added to the fun. The Mariachis were as good as ever. Finding parking is a bit of a challenge. Great to have it back in our old 'hood.Special Features:
- La Rondalla is backSmokeDined on 5/23/2014Back in my hippie days in the early 1970's I would sit at counter and eat rice, beans and tortilla's for a couple of dollars. In the late 70's thru 90's I would eat the great chicken tacos and drink the wonderful margaritas made by the maestro with the pencil thin mustache. When La Rondalla closed we all had hopes for it reopening. If finally did. It is not a "gourmet place" and neither is it a taqueria. It is the best straight forward Mexican restaurant and bar in The City.Special Features:
- The following 4 reviews are from the La Rondalla Mexican Restaurant and Bar reviews archive.
- FoodAdventurerDined on 5/15/2014Great service, fun atmosphere, strong and cheap drinks--but so-so food. Probably best for happy hour before a meal somewhere else. If you want great Mexican food, this isn't the spot but for a night to remember (or forget, depending on number of drinks!), this might be it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No aqui aqui4sustainabilityVIPDined on 5/11/2014Despite our Open Table confirmation email, La Rondalla was closed. It looked as though it wasn't even open for business. Our friend drove 50 miles to join us in what we had hoped would be both a celebration and indulgence in nostalgia. Three of us were left standing on 20th& Valencia on Mother's Day with no place as backup. I blame Open Table and La Rondalla equally. The ratings above are meaningless but required for me to get this online.
- Lots of improvements neededTrblVIPDined on 5/10/2014Terrible experience. Would not go back or recommend. Too bad as was excited they reopened. It took forever to place our orders. 3 of 4 meals arrived, 4th person told as other meals arrived that thier choice was not available, more waiting. 3 of us ate cold dinners as a result. We ordered a pitcher of Matgaritas which we reminded them about 3 times. Same for for chips, guacamole and water. Wait staff eating food out if chip bowls as delivered to table and approached our table with mouth full of food-chewing as they talked to us. Mariachis should have stayed home- bad music and way too loud. Credit card bill arrived with no pen.Special Features:
- Glad they're backWeezyDined on 5/2/2014So good to have them open again, but did hope the food would be improved, we will try again. The agave margarita had good flavor, could use a little more tequila. The servers were extremely nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.