313 West 46th Street
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.larivistanyc.com/
- Phone: 2122451707
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday 12:00pm-4:00pm; Dinner Monday - Saturday 4:00pm-12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine
- Entertainment: Nightly piano music from 8pm till midnight
A word from La Rivista
"La Rivista" - what does it mean? in English it means review, or "the revue" as in a Broadway review. Different actors, singers, dancers, musicians, comedians. Hey it make sense La Rivista" located on Broadway’s famous restaurant row- we specialize in a review too. A revue of the finest dishes of the various regions of Italy. the pastas of Sicily and Naples, the lamb dishes of Abruzzi, risotto from Milan, and so on. Ladies and gentlemen for your dining pleasure we offer you the finest in Italian cuisine "with the flavor of Bologna" - a revue of the most popular dishes of the regions of Italy. Luciano and James Marchignoli.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
La Rivista reviews from OpenTable diners
45 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (26)romantic (14)special occasion (14)fit for foodies (9)great for lunch (8)late-night find (5)good for groups (5)notable wine list (3)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Solid Italian in Theatre DistrictTheatreFoodieVIPDined on 10/21/2014The food and service is good at this reliable stand-by in the theatre district. The lasagne is great. One criticism is the bread which is tasteless and stale.Special Features:
- Great prize fixed mealsAgulhaDined on 10/18/2014Excellent service Wonderful selection of apps, entrees, and delicious desserts Nice cheese and bread to start off with Wine selection was terrificSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Italian fooddiamarimpDined on 10/15/2014Enjoyed our lunch,food was great,service great, recommend fir lunch prior to theatreSpecial Features:
- Worked for usDaytripperDined on 10/15/2014We choose this restaurant to be close to the Roundabout Theater. The two of us chose a price fixed lunch. Husband liked his salad. I had lentil soup which was the best course of the meal for me - very tasty. I had the trout almondine which came with a few potatoes which were burnt. The fish was ok. Husband liked his chicken dish. The ricotta cheese cake was delicious as was the cappuccino which we had instead of coffee for an extra $10. Our waiter never cracked a smile but was good otherwise.Special Features:
- Once again a great meal !Heymrd1313Dined on 10/11/2014We eaten at La Rivista each time we return to New York for the Met Opera and Broadway and have never gone away without a great dining experience. The wait staff is attentive without being over bearing and the food is always first class.Special Features:
- Typical Times SquarePortiaVIPDined on 10/11/2014This is not a restaurant to try if you are looking for a great meal. Just if you want a not too bad meal and you're going to play nearby. The cold asparagus appetizer had been sitting in its sauce on a cold plate for quite some time before it arrived at the table. The chicken dish with artichokes was ample and tasty, though a bit overwhelmed by the lemon sauce, but only accompanied by two very small piecs of an overcooked potato. The italian cheesecake was pedestrian. Wines by the glass are not the best. Also, though repeatedly told that my husband had a dairy allergy, his dessert was brought with whipped cream. At first he was told to just leave it on the side, but after some insistence, the waiter returned it and brought one without.
- Great steaks!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/10/2014This is an Italian restaurant, and I hear the food is very good, but I went there for their Broadway Joe's steaks, which were delicious! The service was friendly and efficient. Nice list of Italian wines.Special Features:
- Great Food!EaggyDined on 10/7/2014First time here and will definitely return! Delicious crab salad and enough pasta to keep you filled through your theater experience which should follow your dinner! Highly recommend to all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great price fixe dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/28/2014Great food at a great price! I had beef medallions and my wife had fish and mussels. $30 each included appetizer and dessert for each of us. Great deal for NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014FOOD WAS EXCELLENT, STAFF VERY HELPFUL, WOULD DEFINATELY DINE THERE AGAINSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- idineVIPDined on 9/22/2014Certainly much improved since La Revista took over. The ambience is quite charming, the food is very good. It's a very good restaurant for pre-theater. Not too crowded but very satisfying.Special Features:
- Great Theater District ChoiceFrequentDinerVIPDined on 9/20/2014Thanks to Open Table, we found this restaurant near the theater we were planning to attend. It is a classic Italian restaurant. Not sure what the relationship is with Broadway Joe's, which almost turned us off. I'm glad we went in anyway. The food was excellent, the best osso bucco I've ever eaten. Service was prompt and attentive. Would definitely go back when we want a spot in the area.Special Features:
- boothbayVIPDined on 9/18/2014The veal marsala was excellent. Their veal selection has become more limited, but they still do a wonderful job. Also enjoyed spaghetti with clam sauce - lots of clams. The cheese with balsamic reduction which is served with the bread is also excellent.
- Pre theatreFoodistaVIPDined on 9/17/2014Staff very welcoming and pleasant Perfect for pre theatre meal Great choices for prix fixeSpecial Features:
- Theatre Lunch Spot46thStGemDined on 9/13/2014Great place for lunch before the afternoon theatre. Price fixe menu was extensive. Food was served beautifully, fresh salad, great veal and pasta dishes. Dessert was terrific. We will come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HepcatVIPDined on 9/10/2014When we got to Rivista, I was struggling with my Parkinson-issues. The waiters came out and helped me down the stairs that lead to the front door. They decided I would be happier with less walking so they seated my husband and I at a table outside. This was no small feat given that the tables were squeezed into the area in front of the door, as only New York can do it. We sat and were immediately asked about drinks. The waiter suggested a wine which proved to be delightful. My husband ordered penne arrabiata and a salad and I ordered farfalle with fresh tomatoes and artichokes. The meals were delicious. We had a chocolate mousse cake for dessert which was heavenly. The meal cost us less than $100 which we feel is pretty good.Special Features:
- Delicious Lunch!PhilCarDined on 9/6/2014Four of us ordered the Prix Fixe lunch and we weren't disappointed. Salmon was done just right, manicotti was flavorful with a fresh tasting tomato sauce, and the trout was tender and tasty. The caprese and garden salads were fine. A small dessert would have made the lunch perfect. Will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Theater prequilMontanaGoatsterDined on 9/3/2014A quick and easy place to go before the theater. My wife had the osso buco and I had a pasta dish. Both were very good. The osso buco actually would have been enough for both of us. Service was top notch.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/24/2014Excellent food. Wonderful service. Had a delightful experience. Worth going to. One of the best on Restaurant Row!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- experienceddinerDined on 8/17/2014Service was excellent. Very Diverse Menu with one dish better than the next. Risotto especially delicious, perfectly prepared. Nice atmosphere. Tables not right on top of one another. Would recommend for before or after theater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food... Ok serviceTexasTrojanVIPDined on 8/12/2014Good food. Great location. Good wine. So so service. We were trying to make a show time and had an hour to grab dinner. We seemed to continually be nudging our wait staff for basic stuff, waters, bread, drinks, and orders. Then follow up on progress. Overall though this Italian bistro reckoned back to old school ambiance. I would eat here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not greatRjnnDined on 8/9/2014Not great. Host was rude when we entered. Server was nice and food was average.
- Nothing spectacularDMF1902VIPDined on 8/3/2014Had pre-theater dinner on a Sunday. First disappointment was the wine list. No vintages are shown, so I had to send back the first bottle when I saw it was from a year that was quite poor. None of us chose the prix-fixe menu, which appeared to be a good value. My swordfish was a bit dry and the sauce was minimal, but overall good once I added some lemon. My wife was disappointed in her pasta vongole, which had very few clams. Our guest was happy enough with her branzini, but certainly not excited. On the other hand, the service was good. Attentive when it was needed, but relaxed when we had no specific needs.
- Pre - theatre spotFG67Dined on 7/31/2014Had to eat early to catch a 7pm show - convenient, and charming, cozy atmosphere - construction site next door unfortunately eliminated an outdoor dining option and was a bit annoying - numerous menu options, friendly, attentive service and overall good value -Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/30/2014Had an early lunch before a theater matinee. The service was courteous and attentive, and the food was excellent. We ordered from the fixed price menu so the value was outstanding as well. Would love to go back and try their dinner menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- La RevistaOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/19/2014We made reservations on a saturday evening at 7:30....while it was busy we were quickly seated at a very nice table........I have been going to this restaurant when I'm in the city and it never disappoints..........food great....piano at 8pm every Sat...........and more......excellent restaurant in theater district......Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loveopentableDined on 7/19/2014Great pre-theatre dinner. Service was excellent and food was too.I would recommend this to a friend.
- La Rivista 4th time still a charmauntgidgetVIPDined on 7/15/2014This was our 4th time at La Rivista and the food, service, ambience was every bit as great as the first time (at least 4 years ago). It was our 21 anniversary and it was a special dining experience. I highly recommend it!Special Features:
- LuciDined on 6/29/2014As usual, my dining experience was pleasurable, friendly, and delicious. This restaurant is always my "Go To" when visiting the city or going to a show on Broadway. I always recommend my friends that they find their way to La Ravista for a delightful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 712 reviews are from the La Rivista reviews archive.
- What a find!ImItalianDined on 6/21/2014We had the opportunity to dine at La Rivista following a Saturday matinee. It is conveniently located in the theatre district and it has a very warm and inviting atmosphere. The food is delicious from the crusty I talian bread to the delicious pecorino romano cheese and everything in between. We will definitely dine there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingBarrysVIPDined on 6/21/2014This is not the place it was years ago. Pre theater menu was limited - 1 salad dressing, poor quality.
- Great place for a pre-theatre lunchowlcoveDined on 6/21/2014My wife and I made our second pre-theater lunch at La Rivista and were again very pleased. There special lunch menu offers appetizer/soup and a choice of six entrees plus tea/coffee for $19.95 a great bargain in NYC. I ordered trout almondine and my wife a veal dish and both of us were pleased with the food and service. The place reminded us of small European bistros and offered a good selection of wines by the glass. We will definetely return. There is noisy construction work going on nearby on the street so a table farther back will facilitate conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food/Service just OK for NYC pricescarmarDined on 6/19/2014The experience was just OK. The food was OK and the service was OK. Nothing special or spectacular.
- Dinner For TwoSweetVioletDined on 6/7/2014An Italian eatery located on Restaurant Row. We were seated promptly and given three menus: The regular, nightly specials and a price fixed one. All three had plenty of choices. The prices were fair for New York. La Rivista is known for its Broadway Joe's steak. There is a small patio for outside dining. White linen tablecloths, fresh flowers and candlelight add ambience. The piano player provides excellent dinner music, beginning about 8p.m. Our table was comfortable. I got a pasta dish. My husband ordered veal scaloppini. His was a bit too salty. The restaurant has a cozy, romantic feeling. You can find a 20% off coupon in some of the books about the city in your hotel. We had an enjoyable meal and very good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Row StapleSusand966Dined on 6/7/2014La Rivista is the place to go when you want a consistently fine pre or post theater meal. There is a wide range of choices, and the ambiance and service is very good. For those on a budget they offer a prix-fixe menu with very good choices.
- La RivistaHotanez16Dined on 6/6/2014I have been here like 4 times and I love it. Food is excellent and service is great!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- greatbomber42Dined on 6/6/2014service and food was superb, we will be returning on our next ny tripSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Prix Fixe MenualwaysXOXODined on 6/5/2014My sister and I came to La Rivista for their prix fixe menu for a pre-theatre meal. It's a quiet place with a great ambience and decor. Service was very attentive and we were in no rush at all for our show. Food is delicious and I loved the variety of desserts to choose from. Definitely recommend La Rivista for anyone looking for rich Italian cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great theater district choiceSaratogiansDined on 5/30/2014La Ravista provides very good food and excellent service in a tasteful setting at reasonable prices. We only wish we could have stayed to hear the piano player. The only suggestion would be to have the live music start at 7 so those going to an 8:00 show could enjoy it for a while. We will definitely return when in NYC to see a show.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Losing it's touchROMEODined on 5/28/2014Having been to La Rivista many times. this visit was disappointing. Service was slow and the food, unremarkable. Not sure what the relationship to Broadway Joe's is all about - perhaps that is contributing to the decline. May be my last visit.