313 West 46th Street
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.larivistanyc.com/
- Phone: 2122451707
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday 12:00pm-4:00pm; Dinner Monday - Saturday 4:00pm-12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine
- Entertainment: Nightly piano music from 8pm till midnight
A word from La Rivista
"La Rivista" - what does it mean? in English it means review, or "the revue" as in a Broadway review. Different actors, singers, dancers, musicians, comedians. Hey it make sense La Rivista" located on Broadway’s famous restaurant row- we specialize in a review too. A revue of the finest dishes of the various regions of Italy. the pastas of Sicily and Naples, the lamb dishes of Abruzzi, risotto from Milan, and so on. Ladies and gentlemen for your dining pleasure we offer you the finest in Italian cuisine "with the flavor of Bologna" - a revue of the most popular dishes of the regions of Italy. Luciano and James Marchignoli.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
La Rivista reviews from OpenTable diners
38 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (19)romantic (13)special occasion (13)fit for foodies (8)great for lunch (8)good for groups (5)late-night find (5)great for outdoor dining (4)notable wine list (4)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Theatre Lunch SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/13/2014Great place for lunch before the afternoon theatre. Price fixe menu was extensive. Food was served beautifully, fresh salad, great veal and pasta dishes. Dessert was terrific. We will come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HepcatVIPDined on 9/10/2014When we got to Rivista, I was struggling with my Parkinson-issues. The waiters came out and helped me down the stairs that lead to the front door. They decided I would be happier with less walking so they seated my husband and I at a table outside. This was no small feat given that the tables were squeezed into the area in front of the door, as only New York can do it. We sat and were immediately asked about drinks. The waiter suggested a wine which proved to be delightful. My husband ordered penne arrabiata and a salad and I ordered farfalle with fresh tomatoes and artichokes. The meals were delicious. We had a chocolate mousse cake for dessert which was heavenly. The meal cost us less than $100 which we feel is pretty good.Special Features:
- Delicious Lunch!PhilCarDined on 9/6/2014Four of us ordered the Prix Fixe lunch and we weren't disappointed. Salmon was done just right, manicotti was flavorful with a fresh tasting tomato sauce, and the trout was tender and tasty. The caprese and garden salads were fine. A small dessert would have made the lunch perfect. Will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Theater prequilMontanaGoatsterDined on 9/3/2014A quick and easy place to go before the theater. My wife had the osso buco and I had a pasta dish. Both were very good. The osso buco actually would have been enough for both of us. Service was top notch.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/24/2014Excellent food. Wonderful service. Had a delightful experience. Worth going to. One of the best on Restaurant Row!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- experienceddinerDined on 8/17/2014Service was excellent. Very Diverse Menu with one dish better than the next. Risotto especially delicious, perfectly prepared. Nice atmosphere. Tables not right on top of one another. Would recommend for before or after theater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food... Ok serviceTexasTrojanVIPDined on 8/12/2014Good food. Great location. Good wine. So so service. We were trying to make a show time and had an hour to grab dinner. We seemed to continually be nudging our wait staff for basic stuff, waters, bread, drinks, and orders. Then follow up on progress. Overall though this Italian bistro reckoned back to old school ambiance. I would eat here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing spectacularDMF1902VIPDined on 8/3/2014Had pre-theater dinner on a Sunday. First disappointment was the wine list. No vintages are shown, so I had to send back the first bottle when I saw it was from a year that was quite poor. None of us chose the prix-fixe menu, which appeared to be a good value. My swordfish was a bit dry and the sauce was minimal, but overall good once I added some lemon. My wife was disappointed in her pasta vongole, which had very few clams. Our guest was happy enough with her branzini, but certainly not excited. On the other hand, the service was good. Attentive when it was needed, but relaxed when we had no specific needs.
- Pre - theatre spotFG67Dined on 7/31/2014Had to eat early to catch a 7pm show - convenient, and charming, cozy atmosphere - construction site next door unfortunately eliminated an outdoor dining option and was a bit annoying - numerous menu options, friendly, attentive service and overall good value -Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/30/2014Had an early lunch before a theater matinee. The service was courteous and attentive, and the food was excellent. We ordered from the fixed price menu so the value was outstanding as well. Would love to go back and try their dinner menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- La RevistaOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/19/2014We made reservations on a saturday evening at 7:30....while it was busy we were quickly seated at a very nice table........I have been going to this restaurant when I'm in the city and it never disappoints..........food great....piano at 8pm every Sat...........and more......excellent restaurant in theater district......Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loveopentableDined on 7/19/2014Great pre-theatre dinner. Service was excellent and food was too.I would recommend this to a friend.
- La Rivista 4th time still a charmauntgidgetVIPDined on 7/15/2014This was our 4th time at La Rivista and the food, service, ambience was every bit as great as the first time (at least 4 years ago). It was our 21 anniversary and it was a special dining experience. I highly recommend it!Special Features:
- LuciDined on 6/29/2014As usual, my dining experience was pleasurable, friendly, and delicious. This restaurant is always my "Go To" when visiting the city or going to a show on Broadway. I always recommend my friends that they find their way to La Ravista for a delightful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a find!ImItalianDined on 6/21/2014We had the opportunity to dine at La Rivista following a Saturday matinee. It is conveniently located in the theatre district and it has a very warm and inviting atmosphere. The food is delicious from the crusty I talian bread to the delicious pecorino romano cheese and everything in between. We will definitely dine there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingBarrysVIPDined on 6/21/2014This is not the place it was years ago. Pre theater menu was limited - 1 salad dressing, poor quality.
- Great place for a pre-theatre lunchowlcoveDined on 6/21/2014My wife and I made our second pre-theater lunch at La Rivista and were again very pleased. There special lunch menu offers appetizer/soup and a choice of six entrees plus tea/coffee for $19.95 a great bargain in NYC. I ordered trout almondine and my wife a veal dish and both of us were pleased with the food and service. The place reminded us of small European bistros and offered a good selection of wines by the glass. We will definetely return. There is noisy construction work going on nearby on the street so a table farther back will facilitate conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food/Service just OK for NYC pricescarmarDined on 6/19/2014The experience was just OK. The food was OK and the service was OK. Nothing special or spectacular.
- Dinner For TwoSweetVioletDined on 6/7/2014An Italian eatery located on Restaurant Row. We were seated promptly and given three menus: The regular, nightly specials and a price fixed one. All three had plenty of choices. The prices were fair for New York. La Rivista is known for its Broadway Joe's steak. There is a small patio for outside dining. White linen tablecloths, fresh flowers and candlelight add ambience. The piano player provides excellent dinner music, beginning about 8p.m. Our table was comfortable. I got a pasta dish. My husband ordered veal scaloppini. His was a bit too salty. The restaurant has a cozy, romantic feeling. You can find a 20% off coupon in some of the books about the city in your hotel. We had an enjoyable meal and very good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Row StapleSusand966Dined on 6/7/2014La Rivista is the place to go when you want a consistently fine pre or post theater meal. There is a wide range of choices, and the ambiance and service is very good. For those on a budget they offer a prix-fixe menu with very good choices.
- La RivistaHotanez16Dined on 6/6/2014I have been here like 4 times and I love it. Food is excellent and service is great!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- greatbomber42Dined on 6/6/2014service and food was superb, we will be returning on our next ny tripSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Prix Fixe MenualwaysXOXODined on 6/5/2014My sister and I came to La Rivista for their prix fixe menu for a pre-theatre meal. It's a quiet place with a great ambience and decor. Service was very attentive and we were in no rush at all for our show. Food is delicious and I loved the variety of desserts to choose from. Definitely recommend La Rivista for anyone looking for rich Italian cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great theater district choiceSaratogiansDined on 5/30/2014La Ravista provides very good food and excellent service in a tasteful setting at reasonable prices. We only wish we could have stayed to hear the piano player. The only suggestion would be to have the live music start at 7 so those going to an 8:00 show could enjoy it for a while. We will definitely return when in NYC to see a show.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Losing it's touchROMEODined on 5/28/2014Having been to La Rivista many times. this visit was disappointing. Service was slow and the food, unremarkable. Not sure what the relationship to Broadway Joe's is all about - perhaps that is contributing to the decline. May be my last visit.
- Great Italian in Theater DistrictChilady2VIPDined on 5/24/2014A wonderful experience--well-paced for pre-theater dining. I had a delicious Caesar salad and pasta arrabiata. My husband dined off the Prix fixe menu and each course was wonderful. Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 700 reviews are from the La Rivista reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/3/2014Service was slow we had to take our dessert to go. We didn't know who our waiter was. And not once did someone ask how our meal was.
- DisappointedPhnxBlyDined on 4/26/2014The service was fast & the staff pleasant. Unfortunately the food left much to be desired. The veal parmesan was chewy, rather than pasta it came with a single small red potato. The fettuccine bolognese lacked flavor & the cost of the meal was quite expensive. This was my mom's first trip to NY for dinner & a show & the meal was not up to par.
- BobbyDined on 4/26/2014Our service was quite poor, our waiter said we could only order wine. However, they have a full bar. I don't know. he wasn't very attentive and I sat there for a long time wanting another glass of wine. It was like pulling teeth trying to get another drink order. The check even took longer. Ugh! The next night we went to 5 guys for dinner and loved it. Ha Ha
- Always right.Stevek45VIPDined on 4/25/2014In all of the years I have gone to La Rivista, I have never had a bad meal or experience. They get it right every time. Classic, old school restaurant with tremendous service. Don't see it in the menu, they will make it for you.I would recommend this to a friend.
- boothbayVIPDined on 4/25/2014Their expansion of their steak menu has resulted in a reduction of pasta and other meat choices; however, there are still plenty of options on the prix fixe menu and the Specials of the Day. The parmesan cheese with reduced balsamic is a nice touch at the beginning of the meal. Veal is a specialty and wonderfully prepared as are the fish dishes. Service is attentive and professional.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food/service - small portionsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/23/2014Went to dinner pre-theater. Great location for a west side theater despite construction directly next door (out of restaurant's control). Service was excellent and food tasty. Even though a "restaurant row" restaurant, seating & noise level were reasonable - most are jammed together. Our only major complaint is that portion sizes were too small. My husband ordered a special of beef ribs and left hungry - only about 3-4 oz of meat once bone removed. Not nearly enough for him. I had a price fixe chicken entrée and left a bit hungry myself and I normally am very full. Will try another restaurant next time.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/23/2014Very good food and service. Delicious meals and great wide choice on menu for everyone and very reasonable choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great return meal.Heymrd1313Dined on 4/19/2014This was our second time at La Rivista and again we were not disappointed with anything. With all of the great places to eat in this end of town you can't go wrong eating here.Special Features:
- This place is really badMarkESackettVIPDined on 4/14/2014It's so sad honestly...tonight the food was worse than usual. I only come here occasionally to hear the older piano players. They used to make a decent Pesto but now it's off the menu and the restaurant has merged with an equally bad steak house next door. The last time I was here a number of months back I brought 8 friends. The waiter screamed at one of my guests saying he deserved a bigger tip. The owner/manager began then screaming at him in front of the entire restaurant and never apologized to us. I have seen the manager/owner berate staff many times and honestly tonight was the last chance for this tired old place. The irony of "restaurant Row" in NYC is that it has some of the worst food in all of NYC!
- Very NiceandrewtxDined on 4/13/2014Two friends and I ate here twice last weekend (Friday and Sunday). Additionally, I have eaten here quite a few times over the years. The over-all experience was very good. I've never been disappointed with anything I've gotten here. The wait staff is very attentive and the location is great (not far from Times Square). I would recommend La Rivista to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistantly Goodboomer49VIPDined on 4/11/2014LOVE, LOVE this restaurant!! Great service, food and atmosphere.
- Perfect for pre-theater diningEmJulesDined on 3/29/2014A great little restaurant to grab dinner before a show. Cute atmosphere with very attentive waitstaff, and good classic Italian menu.Special Features:
- Loved it, loved it, loved itTashaVIPDined on 3/26/2014It was charming, welcoming and a wonderful find. The service was excellent and our food terrific. We chose from the prix fixe menu. The portions were slightly smaller but quite enough food to satisfy us and not feel over stuffed before our show. To top it off there was a nice selection from the dessert tray. We had a slight misunderstanding with one of the dessert orders but the matre'd was quick to solve it and replace it. I would definitely return and look forward to trying more dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go there every trip to NYCBruceDined on 3/19/2014We have been going to La Rivista each trip to NYC---business or pleasure. Each meal has been tremendous. We've suggested this to several friends and business associates who have each had tremendous experiences.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.