313 West 46th Street
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.larivistanyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 245-1707
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday 12:00pm-4:00pm; Dinner Monday - Saturday 4:00pm-12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine
- Entertainment: Nightly piano music from 8pm till midnight
A word from La Rivista
"La Rivista" - what does it mean? in English it means review, or "the revue" as in a Broadway review. Different actors, singers, dancers, musicians, comedians. Hey it make sense La Rivista" located on Broadway’s famous restaurant row- we specialize in a review too. A revue of the finest dishes of the various regions of Italy. the pastas of Sicily and Naples, the lamb dishes of Abruzzi, risotto from Milan, and so on. Ladies and gentlemen for your dining pleasure we offer you the finest in Italian cuisine "with the flavor of Bologna" - a revue of the most popular dishes of the regions of Italy. Luciano and James Marchignoli.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
La Rivista reviews from OpenTable diners
63 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (27)special occasion (16)romantic (14)fit for foodies (13)great for lunch (10)good for groups (6)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (4)notable wine list (4)great for brunch (2)great for outdoor dining (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Adequate, but nothing specialJohnDined on 11/22/2014Made reservations for four, selected la Rivista based on the menu and location. It is conveniently close to many Broadway theatres. Small but quant dining room which featured both a bar and a piano. The staff sat us efficiently and were rather regimented, one brought us fresh cheese, another water, and a third bread. The shortcoming was the food. We ordered appetizers of house cured bacon and fried calamari to share. Both were fine, but nothing special. For entrées my wide had the goat cheese ravioli, my son the bolognaise lasagna, his date had a Caesar salad, while I had a steak. Afterward we all agreed, the food was cooked fine but was not inspired. My steak was cooked well, but with it I’d ordered mushrooms which arrived late (the mushrooms were the best season thing served); Presented on the plate were steamed carrots and broccoli which was rather pedestrian but the vegetables had no seasoning. Kind of epitomized the meal. Sorry to say it, but the food was on par with an Apllebees or a TGI Fridays. Being in a neighborhood with scores of great restaurants, we’d hoped for more. If invited back to la Rivista to meet friends or for an occasion we'd go, but for our next dinner and show outing we’ll try any of a dozen other inviting options all on the same block.
- would not recommend...Swk5VIPDined on 11/21/2014price fix was reasonable and a number of choices. My food was ok (though not great), but husband's was oily and he couldn't even eat it. He ended up with stomach issues that whole night...didn't enjoy dessert either... would not recommend...
- True ItalianTravelinmanDined on 11/21/2014Very quaint neighborhood restaurant. Romantic and quiet with true Italian ambiance and food. Great menu selectionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for pre-theater eatingsireatsalotDined on 11/15/2014On a Saturday for lunch the restaurant was nearly empty - only 3 tables occupied. So why did we feel rushed by the staff ? I would have preferred a little more leisurely pace. The food was pretty basic - nothing fancy- but good. Prices were very reasonable. All in all it was pleasant and I would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem on Restaurant Row, NYCUSAFoodieDined on 11/8/2014We came to La Rivista after seeing a show and wer so pleased with the great ambiance, the service was amazing and even better was the piano player and locals there sitting, singing along with the piano. The food was tasty and our servers were attentive and helpful.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/8/2014Good menu with nice wide selection, including steaks and italian dishes. Was able to use a coupon obtained online for 20% off non price-fixed menu selections. Staff was efficient and accomodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- superb choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/5/2014Dinner before the show then dessert afterward with wonderful entertainment. What else can you ask for! James and his staff Re the best! .Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/1/2014table small for 4 people,food was better last timeSpecial Features:
- Enjoyable but saltyDeeHikerDined on 10/29/2014Food was very good. However, I took a star away b/c it was way too salty. I'll try again. Thank you!Special Features:
- My experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/28/2014Went to this restaurant on a recommendation Service was extremely slow even Though it was 10 o'clock at night Took 15 minutes to just get the menu Food was good and they had a piano singer who was very EntertainingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodNYCDinerDined on 10/25/2014I took my husband to dinner for his birthday prior to theatre. Wait staff were in a hurry and so-so. I put a request in Open Table for "special occasion and when I "reminded" it was my husband's birthday..."so, you want a candle in dessert?" in front of my husband. So much for subtleties! Oh well, food was good--not great, but good. It was close to the theatre!Special Features:
- Classy ItalianCoupleluv2dineDined on 10/24/2014Very intimate place. Excellent food. Service perfect. They get it right. We have been coming here every time we are in NYC for over 6 years and have recommended to others.Special Features:
- Solid Italian in Theatre DistrictTheatreFoodieVIPDined on 10/21/2014The food and service is good at this reliable stand-by in the theatre district. The lasagne is great. One criticism is the bread which is tasteless and stale.Special Features:
- Great prize fixed mealsAgulhaDined on 10/18/2014Excellent service Wonderful selection of apps, entrees, and delicious desserts Nice cheese and bread to start off with Wine selection was terrificSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Italian fooddiamarimpDined on 10/15/2014Enjoyed our lunch,food was great,service great, recommend fir lunch prior to theatreSpecial Features:
- Worked for usDaytripperDined on 10/15/2014We choose this restaurant to be close to the Roundabout Theater. The two of us chose a price fixed lunch. Husband liked his salad. I had lentil soup which was the best course of the meal for me - very tasty. I had the trout almondine which came with a few potatoes which were burnt. The fish was ok. Husband liked his chicken dish. The ricotta cheese cake was delicious as was the cappuccino which we had instead of coffee for an extra $10. Our waiter never cracked a smile but was good otherwise.Special Features:
- Once again a great meal !Heymrd1313Dined on 10/11/2014We eaten at La Rivista each time we return to New York for the Met Opera and Broadway and have never gone away without a great dining experience. The wait staff is attentive without being over bearing and the food is always first class.Special Features:
- Typical Times SquarePortiaVIPDined on 10/11/2014This is not a restaurant to try if you are looking for a great meal. Just if you want a not too bad meal and you're going to play nearby. The cold asparagus appetizer had been sitting in its sauce on a cold plate for quite some time before it arrived at the table. The chicken dish with artichokes was ample and tasty, though a bit overwhelmed by the lemon sauce, but only accompanied by two very small piecs of an overcooked potato. The italian cheesecake was pedestrian. Wines by the glass are not the best. Also, though repeatedly told that my husband had a dairy allergy, his dessert was brought with whipped cream. At first he was told to just leave it on the side, but after some insistence, the waiter returned it and brought one without.
- Great steaks!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/10/2014This is an Italian restaurant, and I hear the food is very good, but I went there for their Broadway Joe's steaks, which were delicious! The service was friendly and efficient. Nice list of Italian wines.Special Features:
- Great Food!EaggyDined on 10/7/2014First time here and will definitely return! Delicious crab salad and enough pasta to keep you filled through your theater experience which should follow your dinner! Highly recommend to all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great price fixe dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/28/2014Great food at a great price! I had beef medallions and my wife had fish and mussels. $30 each included appetizer and dessert for each of us. Great deal for NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014FOOD WAS EXCELLENT, STAFF VERY HELPFUL, WOULD DEFINATELY DINE THERE AGAINSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- idineVIPDined on 9/22/2014Certainly much improved since La Revista took over. The ambience is quite charming, the food is very good. It's a very good restaurant for pre-theater. Not too crowded but very satisfying.Special Features:
- Great Theater District ChoiceFrequentDinerVIPDined on 9/20/2014Thanks to Open Table, we found this restaurant near the theater we were planning to attend. It is a classic Italian restaurant. Not sure what the relationship is with Broadway Joe's, which almost turned us off. I'm glad we went in anyway. The food was excellent, the best osso bucco I've ever eaten. Service was prompt and attentive. Would definitely go back when we want a spot in the area.Special Features:
- boothbayVIPDined on 9/18/2014The veal marsala was excellent. Their veal selection has become more limited, but they still do a wonderful job. Also enjoyed spaghetti with clam sauce - lots of clams. The cheese with balsamic reduction which is served with the bread is also excellent.
- Pre theatreFoodistaVIPDined on 9/17/2014Staff very welcoming and pleasant Perfect for pre theatre meal Great choices for prix fixeSpecial Features:
- Theatre Lunch Spot46thStGemDined on 9/13/2014Great place for lunch before the afternoon theatre. Price fixe menu was extensive. Food was served beautifully, fresh salad, great veal and pasta dishes. Dessert was terrific. We will come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HepcatVIPDined on 9/10/2014When we got to Rivista, I was struggling with my Parkinson-issues. The waiters came out and helped me down the stairs that lead to the front door. They decided I would be happier with less walking so they seated my husband and I at a table outside. This was no small feat given that the tables were squeezed into the area in front of the door, as only New York can do it. We sat and were immediately asked about drinks. The waiter suggested a wine which proved to be delightful. My husband ordered penne arrabiata and a salad and I ordered farfalle with fresh tomatoes and artichokes. The meals were delicious. We had a chocolate mousse cake for dessert which was heavenly. The meal cost us less than $100 which we feel is pretty good.Special Features:
- Delicious Lunch!PhilCarDined on 9/6/2014Four of us ordered the Prix Fixe lunch and we weren't disappointed. Salmon was done just right, manicotti was flavorful with a fresh tasting tomato sauce, and the trout was tender and tasty. The caprese and garden salads were fine. A small dessert would have made the lunch perfect. Will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Theater prequilMontanaGoatsterDined on 9/3/2014A quick and easy place to go before the theater. My wife had the osso buco and I had a pasta dish. Both were very good. The osso buco actually would have been enough for both of us. Service was top notch.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/24/2014Excellent food. Wonderful service. Had a delightful experience. Worth going to. One of the best on Restaurant Row!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- experienceddinerDined on 8/17/2014Service was excellent. Very Diverse Menu with one dish better than the next. Risotto especially delicious, perfectly prepared. Nice atmosphere. Tables not right on top of one another. Would recommend for before or after theater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food... Ok serviceTexasTrojanVIPDined on 8/12/2014Good food. Great location. Good wine. So so service. We were trying to make a show time and had an hour to grab dinner. We seemed to continually be nudging our wait staff for basic stuff, waters, bread, drinks, and orders. Then follow up on progress. Overall though this Italian bistro reckoned back to old school ambiance. I would eat here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not greatRjnnDined on 8/9/2014Not great. Host was rude when we entered. Server was nice and food was average.
- Nothing spectacularDMF1902VIPDined on 8/3/2014Had pre-theater dinner on a Sunday. First disappointment was the wine list. No vintages are shown, so I had to send back the first bottle when I saw it was from a year that was quite poor. None of us chose the prix-fixe menu, which appeared to be a good value. My swordfish was a bit dry and the sauce was minimal, but overall good once I added some lemon. My wife was disappointed in her pasta vongole, which had very few clams. Our guest was happy enough with her branzini, but certainly not excited. On the other hand, the service was good. Attentive when it was needed, but relaxed when we had no specific needs.
- Pre - theatre spotFG67Dined on 7/31/2014Had to eat early to catch a 7pm show - convenient, and charming, cozy atmosphere - construction site next door unfortunately eliminated an outdoor dining option and was a bit annoying - numerous menu options, friendly, attentive service and overall good value -Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/30/2014Had an early lunch before a theater matinee. The service was courteous and attentive, and the food was excellent. We ordered from the fixed price menu so the value was outstanding as well. Would love to go back and try their dinner menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 718 reviews are from the La Rivista reviews archive.
- La RevistaOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/19/2014We made reservations on a saturday evening at 7:30....while it was busy we were quickly seated at a very nice table........I have been going to this restaurant when I'm in the city and it never disappoints..........food great....piano at 8pm every Sat...........and more......excellent restaurant in theater district......Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loveopentableDined on 7/19/2014Great pre-theatre dinner. Service was excellent and food was too.I would recommend this to a friend.
- La Rivista 4th time still a charmauntgidgetVIPDined on 7/15/2014This was our 4th time at La Rivista and the food, service, ambience was every bit as great as the first time (at least 4 years ago). It was our 21 anniversary and it was a special dining experience. I highly recommend it!Special Features: