605 Hudson Street
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.laripailleny.com/
- Phone: 2122554406
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:45am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Contemporary French
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wine Bar
- Catering: French bistro
A word from La Ripaille
Opened in 1980, La Ripaille is one of the oldest restaurants in West Village. Some of the regulars have been coming for as long as 25 years. We want everyone to feel welcome here, whether it’s the celebrities who frequent, the children for whom we provide games & crayons, or the people who live in the Village. The owner, Alain Laurent, is integral in the day-to-day processes of La Ripaille. He daily scours the market for the freshest produce, often choosing the day’s specials based on his finds. This keeps the specials seasonal & unique. He decorates the ever changing wine list with the best wines available. The restaurant itself is beautiful, with a terrace for the summer & a fireplace in the back for the winter. The candlelit tables light up French posters and paintings & fresh flowers decorate each table. For a taste of history and delicious French cuisine, visit La Ripaille. We have a seat just for you.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
La Ripaille reviews from OpenTable diners
28 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (20)romantic (15)fit for foodies (13)special occasion (10)notable wine list (5)great for brunch (4)good for groups (4)great for outdoor dining (4)great for lunch (3)late-night find (2)hot spot (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- DisappointedTravelingDinerDined on 7/14/2014I had a 11:45 am lunch reservation on July 14, 2014. To our extreme disappointment when we arrived, the restaurant was closed. The experience was to have been a special treat for my grandson during our visit to NYC. Instead, we ate at MeMe Mediterranean Restaurant in the next block and had an excellent lunch.
- Overpriced WineOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014The wine by the glass was vastly overpriced given the level of its quality.Special Features:
- Hidden Gem in the West VillageWallyVIPDined on 6/9/2014My daughter and I were looking for a good French restaurant near the Village and found La Ripaille on Open Table. We had a wonderful dining experience, starting with a special goat cheese appetizer, perfectly prepared entrees of veal and duck, and a great bottle of Burgundy off a reasonably priced wine list. The service was perfect and the proprietor could not have been more friendly. It felt like dining in Paris except for the attitude and the price. This is the kind of establishment visitors to New York should experience, rather than the uptown places that charge twice the price (or more) for half the character. Merci, Messr. Laurent.Special Features:
- Great findalwayshungryDined on 6/7/2014Small but charming. Service was friendly and efficient. Food was excellent. Only complaint - the portions were on the small side, which made the cost even more so.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambience, fabulous foodPickyEaterDined on 5/29/2014We chose the restaurant because it was in the general vicinity of another engagement and also because my Niece lives in Greenwich and would be able to join us. On another site the La Ripaille was rated five stars so we decided to make our reservation. The owner was so warm and enthusiastic about our party of four adults and a baby. What a nice surprise! The ambience was wonderful and the staff was so attentive. The food was amazing, we ordered the Goat Cheese appetizer three more times, it is a must. It is such a warm and comfortable environment and everyone was so attentive! Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Delightful ExperienceWaltersMuseumPatronsVIPDined on 5/24/2014We were in town from Baltimore and found the restaurant on Open Table. It is a charming bistro with delicious food and a warm and friendly staff. Everything from our appetizers to dessert was excellent. Well worth checking out for a pleasant, fairly casual evening in a space where it's easy to have a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- C'est magnifique!SouthernTravelerDined on 5/12/2014La Ripaille is a little bit of Paris tucked away on a busy block of the West Village. Walk through the door into a charming restaurant. Not only is the decor authentically French, so is the food: prepared with care, delicious, beautiful. The service is professional, but welcoming. My husband and I try to go whenever we're in New York. We took friends on our last visit and they were also delighted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a piece of old ParisPantagruelleDined on 5/8/2014delightful (very) little bistro, like you find only in certain old neighborhoods in Paris. BEST than the food is the owner, Laurent, who loves to talk to his custumers, specially about soccer! he has travelled a lot, lived in Portugal, speaks Portuguese with a cute accent, and has many funny stories to tell. Go to the bar for a drink, ask Laurent what you should have for dinner, what wine, etc. Who said French people are unfriendly? I lived in Paris and can say: it all depends on YOUR attitude.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/3/2014Great service and food. Quiet, pleasant dining experience. The manager & servers were extremely attentive.Special Features:
- We LOVE La RipailletimmmykVIPDined on 5/2/2014Alain has been making us feel special and welcome for 20 years. Everything from the moment we enter until we leave is always charming, delicious and relaxing. La Ripaille is our FAVORITE place in the West Village bar none. Our FAVE place in the city.Special Features:
- The following 238 reviews are from the La Ripaille reviews archive.
- Fantastic Neighborhood GemChrisVIPDined on 4/28/2014La Ripaille consistently offers up delicious French food and fun, friendly service. My wife and I go there whenever we can. It is a smallish place with deep roots in the neighborhood. You will be made to feel like family. Your time there will truly be an experience.Special Features:
- Great French foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/26/2014We had dinner for two, and started early around 7pm. The owner was present, very knowledgeable and friendly. He was training up a new set of staff that evening, so they were a little green (thus the slightly lower service rating) but I have no doubt that in short order they will be up to the quality level needed. However, the owner, acting as host, ensured that we were well taken care of. We had specials: Asparagus w/ creme Anglais, mussels in garlic sauce, for appetizers; duck breast, and bass for main course. The food was absolutely delicious, and the serving size small, allowing us to have plenty of room for equally delightful desserts: pear cake and apple torte.Special Features:
- Wonderful dinnerStrangeDinerDined on 4/23/2014What a lovely spot for dinner! The food is terrific, and the service is great. We love this place!Special Features:
- Best anniversary dinnerbucktheiguanaDined on 4/16/2014Alain was such a wonderful host for our five-year anniversary dinner. The food was delicious and the wine selections were inspired. And, best of all, you could order a bottle of wine with your meal and it won't break the bank. We loved it and are looking forward to coming back.Special Features:
- always delicious - the salmonDogsVIPDined on 4/12/2014always delicious - the salmon is absolutely divine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Felt the vibrancy as. If IDivineDined on 4/1/2014Felt the vibrancy as. If I were in France. The owner came to the table, exchanged some humor and made us feel like we were in a neighborhood restaurant where everyone knows everyone. Servers were quite accommodating and personable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like being in France. LovedOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/21/2014Like being in France. Loved the food - especially the asparagus in a divine light hollandaise sauce -- perfect. Charming owner and delightful staff helped make for a lovely evening out with friends.Special Features:
- Feels like you're in EuropeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/15/2014Love the food and the ambience, but the wait was a little long (considering we had a reservation and our table was sitting there unattended for about 15 minutes). Apart from that (and the waitstaff being a tad slow - adding to the absolute European flair here, of course), it was a wonderful experience and I will absolutely be back many times.Special Features:
- Owner and staff were veryKayadog69Dined on 3/15/2014Owner and staff were very personable and attentive. Great French flair and delicious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent food, friendly staffDolphin70Dined on 3/14/2014Top notch food, everyone very friendly, especially owner. Sound level very acceptable for intimate conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French food done rightCWrightVIPDined on 3/6/2014Have been here three times, and have not been disappointed yet. Enjoyed it enough to bring an out of town guest. I haven't been to many Manhattan restaurants' I would be willing to take my friends. It gives me faith that there are places that are not mediocre.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood findnewyorkerdinerDined on 2/23/2014This was a great neighborhood find. The restaurant is quite charming. It looked and feel like a place you would find in Paris. The owner and staff were quite attentive to us during the whole meal. We came here for brunch. Will definitely come back for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real restaurantGs60Dined on 2/6/2014Not part of a chain. A rare find in New York anymore- a small restaurant with great ambiance and food. Affordable and enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood lovedonlopeaguirreVIPDined on 2/1/2014This place doesnt overwhelm you, but the food is always very good and the service is exceptional. The wines are fine and well priced, and you can almost always get a last minute table. The specials are just that - special, but the real winner on the menu is the mushroom / pastry appetizer. Its ridiculous. Get it in your belly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- another wonderful dinnerdelishVIPDined on 2/1/2014went with another couple so we could spend a few hours in Paris perfect neighborhood gem...small, intimate food and service were great--highly reco the sea bass with mushromms and the brie to start--they never rushed us and out table was waiting when we arrived we will keep going back for warm, fun dinnersSpecial Features:
- Perfectly Delicious! Must try!CarlyVIPDined on 1/18/2014We have been trying restaurants all over the city, and this one is our new favorite! The food is creative, yet simple. We both took our first bite, and had WOW moments! The duck is incredible. Presentations of all courses are beautiful. The service was the best part! We had several staff taking care of us, and a very sweet, enthusiastic owner to guide us. We enjoyed the meal and service. Authentic French food and staff. Love!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food and hostJohnnyGVIPDined on 1/18/2014It cozy restaurant with wonderful food and Attentive service. The host/owner made sure everything was done right. Would definitely come backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to go back. ItOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/11/2014Can't wait to go back. It is the just the type of Gench bistro,one hopes to find in NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- classic old-school FrenchrobasenDined on 12/27/2013...but without the stereotypical snooty service - this is a favorite of ours, with all the classic elements. Professional service, combination of French classic fare plus market fresh daily specials. Older crowd, with quiet, romantic candle-lit French countryside ambiance. Excellent food, reasonable prices for the quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Higher Christmas price not worth itOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/25/2013I was initially disappointed as the restaurant was more simply decorated than pictures I had seen online. Still nice enough with good music and table candles. Our waiter was good, very attentive without being too intrusive. I had seen the menu online and was disappointed to see the whole menu had been doubled in price for Christmas. This would have been understandable if the food was high quality but it wasn't. The food was tasty, yet small portions (especially the only vegetarian option, risotto) but it seemed more home cooking than fine dining and for $25 - $30 for a main, I expect a bit better. Chocolate mousse for dessert was not good. As we left we were hassled for a higher tip which just left a bitter taste in my mouth.Special Features:
- West Village GemJohnBDined on 12/25/2013Every aspect of this West Village gem is excellent...its tucked away in the Village, but should be on the Champs Elysee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CharmingRocketDined on 12/21/2013Our first time to this neighborhood gem and "charming" would sum up the entire evening. The wait staff was extraordinarily attentive and extremely helpful in guiding us on our dinner and wine selection. The food was absolutely delicious and the wine completed the meal. It was great hearing the neighboring tables all describe their meals as "delicious" as well. When we heard La Ripaille was listed as a top ten romantic restaurant in the city, we just had to give it a try. Absolutely true. Glad we made the reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerdelishVIPDined on 12/14/2013Ambiance was wonderful - walked into a Paris cafe Service and good very good - recommend the snapper Great place for intimate dinner - small but they never rushed usSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a find!afoodieDined on 12/14/2013My only hesitation in writing this review is that others will flood this small restaurant and I'll never get another reservation! 9 of us gathered on a snowy night coming from Vt, Florida, Ohio and DC. In this multi-generational group we have a vegetarian, a picky eater and some foodies. We ALL had a delicious meal, service that was attentive, but unobtrusive (very hard to find) in a lovely, small and well decorated restaurant. Merci.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit overdue for a revampJeffVIPDined on 12/12/2013Restaurant has been in business in this spot for >30 years, and has a loyal local clientele. This was my first time there and the service was fantastic - the kind of French charm and attention to detail Americans imagine but which is extremely rare in France itself. However, I would say my dish was overpriced and unimaginative bistro fare. Twenty years ago this place was probably a miracle; now, many imitators are surpassing its kitchen. The ambience and location cannot be quibbled with however.Special Features:
- The food was fantastic andOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/7/2013The food was fantastic and the wine was wonderful. The owner and staff were very pleasant. The four of us all enjoyed our meals. A small and charming location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, but...vCakiaDined on 11/22/2013I had a wonderful experience at this restaurant. However, when the waiter asked to hang up my date's coat, her phone was stolen. She used the phone's GPS to find the restaurant, so we are fairly confident that it was taken while at the restaurant. I would recommend diners to avoid leaving items in their coat when they check it in; I would also recommend the restaurant take precautions to warn customers to keep their valuable belongings with them. That being said, this was an absolutely wonderful dinner. The food was incredible. The ambiance was great. Even with her phone being stolen, my date has still maintained that it was a perfect evening. I wanted to treat her to a nice night out. It mostly was...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- greatpeterDined on 11/8/2013The food was delicious. Nice relaxing ambiance and great service.Special Features:
- CharmingJonFDined on 11/8/2013Lovely neighborhood restaurant. A little Paris in the West Village. We will be back.Special Features:
- Favorite restaurant EVERMelonDined on 11/8/2013I was speechless the moment I walked into the restaurant. It was a small restaurant, could be considered tiny. But, it was beautiful! The decor was amazing, the music definitely set the mood. I thought it was so romantic! It was definitely appropriate for a nice dinner with my boyfriend. We ordered the cream of mushroom soup (amazing: there was even a slice of mushroom in it!), mussels (very nice broth), risotto with truffle oil (boyfriend's choice), tiger shrimp linguini (my choice), creme brulee (boyfriend's) and homemade sorbet (mine). There was fresh bread in the beginning of the meal, as well. The service was amazing. The food was amazing. There is no way I wouldn't come back here again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.