605 Hudson Street
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.laripailleny.com/
- Phone: (212) 255-4406
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:45am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Contemporary French
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wine Bar
- Catering: French bistro
A word from La Ripaille
Opened in 1980, La Ripaille is one of the oldest restaurants in West Village. Some of the regulars have been coming for as long as 25 years. We want everyone to feel welcome here, whether it’s the celebrities who frequent, the children for whom we provide games & crayons, or the people who live in the Village. The owner, Alain Laurent, is integral in the day-to-day processes of La Ripaille. He daily scours the market for the freshest produce, often choosing the day’s specials based on his finds. This keeps the specials seasonal & unique. He decorates the ever changing wine list with the best wines available. The restaurant itself is beautiful, with a terrace for the summer & a fireplace in the back for the winter. The candlelit tables light up French posters and paintings & fresh flowers decorate each table. For a taste of history and delicious French cuisine, visit La Ripaille. We have a seat just for you.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
La Ripaille reviews from OpenTable diners
34 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (21)romantic (19)fit for foodies (13)special occasion (10)great for brunch (3)late-night find (3)notable wine list (3)great for lunch (3)good for groups (2)great for outdoor dining (2)hot spot (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- A real french restaurantValFromParisVIPDined on 11/11/2014La ripaille is a real French restaurant, owned by a really nice French guy. You can find many French dishes and wines on their menu. Don't hesitate to go there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great neighborhood resturantDianeBDined on 11/8/2014Very cozy and accessible west village french restaurant with classic French bistro menu. Good wine list, nice service and tables a generally always available. Great place to relax after busy day in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Halloween "Celebration"mikewrcDined on 10/31/2014The plan was having dinner with my girlfriend and head on to Halloween celebrations but it didn't go as we planned! Ok, i'm always very objective about reviews and must say the food was good and the staff are very polite and nice ! But seriously waiting for 15+ minutes to get a menu's when the place is half full and not busy! After we got the menu's waited another 10 min to get to hear the specials from the manager/owner I guess, cause the waiters can't do it without his permit!.Plus another 7 minutes wait to get our order going! 32+ minutes just for order to be taken! At the end took like 10+ minutes to pay the bill when there are only 2 tables left ... Even the best food can't compensate for the long waiting time .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cute and Personal French RestaurantdatenightVIPDined on 10/29/2014The service was very welcoming and friendly. The small restaurant is cozy, but comfortable. The dinner was delicious. We both had a vegetable soup special that was very good. Dinner was plated nicely and tasted wonderful - we had the bass and the chicken paillard. As we went on a weeknight when they were not busy, they did not rush us out so we could have a long conversation even after our meal ended.Special Features:
- Great local restaurantLuvgoodfoodVIPDined on 10/25/2014We continue coming here for the the great food and excellent service. The restaurant is very Corey reminiscent of a French bistro. Alain the host is a raconteur and welcoming person.Special Features:
- Good French regional foodWestVillageFoodLoverDined on 10/23/2014Classic French country food that you don't find in NYC anymore. Charming and reliable West Village restaurant that shouldn't be overlooked in favor of the 'scene'y spots. Fish cooked perfectly. Soup was delicious. Owner/greeter/maitre d' was personable and very welcoming. He knows his food and wine in the style of, well, French proprietors. We will return here.Special Features:
- French without FrenzygothamfeederDined on 10/18/2014Neighborhood anchor by virtue of it's long lease.. and a survivor of the W Village and nearby Meat packing overhype. Also, very good basic French food, with ever present proprietor busily, merrily hazing young waitstaff between greeting diners, "s'ils vouz plait, mes enfants!"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never fails to satisfyFoodieDined on 10/13/2014This little gem is an 'evergreen', and for good reason! Delicious, traditional French cuisine. A warm, friendly ambiance. Great service. Reasonable prices. Cosy and warm inside. Outdoor seating if the weather is fine. Not many places can survive for 25 years in a city of how many restaurants? And how many NEW restaurants? We keep coming back here after trying other places, and being disappointed. We can always depend on a dinner at La Ripaille. It's always great. And Alain, the French/ New Yorker host, is such a great New York character. He looks after us so well. We love him! And his restaurant.Special Features:
- Delightful surpriseJoanVIPDined on 10/13/2014First time in this 35 year old restaurant reminiscent of Paris--menu, preparation, wait staff and managerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best date nightFoodieDined on 10/10/2014We found this charming secret hideaway by chance and what a gem! The food was delicious and the ambience just perfect. The service was attentive but not intrusive, and they matched the wines to our meals. And wines were very reasonably priced. The owner is a welcoming, old school host who made us feel really special. We loved it so much we are going back tomorrow night to try more of the delicious French menu. Best food this side of Paris. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Felt CheatedOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/4/2014Have been going to La Ripaille for years as our date night place. Had friends visiting from out of town and decided to book a table for 6 people. Arrived at the restaurant and had to wait for 25 minutes for a table to open up. Why bother making reservations? The quality has gone down - the food was quite bland and lacked the flavor of the past. Additionally several wines on the wine list were not available and the owner said he would recommend some other suitable choices. When we got the bill, we noticed that those suitable choices were twice as expensive as our original selections. That made me feel cheated. We will not be going back!Special Features:
- Too loud, too slow, decent food.june30roseDined on 9/26/2014I've enjoyed this restaurant for decades, but I was disappointed. The service was friendly but slow, the music was loud and inappropriate for a nice restaurant, the food good but portions small. Overall, the music was the worst part. Sad to see this happen to a solid old standby in my neighborhood.
- Paris in West VillageNickVIPDined on 9/18/2014Simply lovely. Reminded of my days in Paris. Went for birthday celebration, which was wonderful. Alain was personable and a great host. Food very tasty. Will return...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A taste of ParisFashionista365VIPDined on 9/13/2014I did feel transported to a little corner of Paris tucked away in NYC. Everyone was very friendly and accommodating. The food was delicious, the wine was crisp, the staff was warm and pleasing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal and great atmosphereJohnDined on 9/12/2014I was looking for a table for two on a Friday evening quite last minute - it was Thursday afternoon. We loved the place - the food was very good, the selection excellent, and the service and atmosphere perfect for our liking. Knowing how our tastes differ from many, I would describe the atmosphere as very informal and very laid back and friendly-this is not stuffy French. The owner was a lot of fun - pleasant, laughing with a fun sense of sarcasm. We absolutely loved the place although I would warn people that if they are looking for a more "formal" setting for a meal, this may not be for them. I simply love a restaurant where I can eat an appetizer, entree, and dessert and feel satisfied, but not insanely full. Will be back, for sure.Special Features:
- Pleasant enough brunchEmilyVIPDined on 9/7/2014This is just a neighborhood spot that was convenient to where I needed to be that afternoon. No complaints. Nothing special, not a data-type place, not really a spot for food geeks. But reasonably tasty, reasonably priced, pleasant staff.
- Uncomfortable and disappointinggattoVIPDined on 9/6/2014After reading all the great reviews about the service here, it seems as if I dined at a different restaurant. It took the disorganized staff 30 minutes to give us menus. No bread until I went to the bar to ask for it. Our table was so unnecessarily close to the one adjacent, the servers bumped our chairs every time they walked by. People were actually wearing table cloths the AC was so high, despite our request that it be lowered several times. Food nothing special. Scallop entree tasty but minuscule. Grilled chicken and brie sandwich arrived without brie. Dinner salad was bland with tasteless dressing. On the single positive note, desserts were good. 30 mins after requesting it, our bill arrived with a $60 error.
- The following 248 reviews are from the La Ripaille reviews archive.
- DisappointedTravelingDinerDined on 7/14/2014I had a 11:45 am lunch reservation on July 14, 2014. To our extreme disappointment when we arrived, the restaurant was closed. The experience was to have been a special treat for my grandson during our visit to NYC. Instead, we ate at MeMe Mediterranean Restaurant in the next block and had an excellent lunch.
- Overpriced WineOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014The wine by the glass was vastly overpriced given the level of its quality.Special Features:
- Hidden Gem in the West VillageWallyVIPDined on 6/9/2014My daughter and I were looking for a good French restaurant near the Village and found La Ripaille on Open Table. We had a wonderful dining experience, starting with a special goat cheese appetizer, perfectly prepared entrees of veal and duck, and a great bottle of Burgundy off a reasonably priced wine list. The service was perfect and the proprietor could not have been more friendly. It felt like dining in Paris except for the attitude and the price. This is the kind of establishment visitors to New York should experience, rather than the uptown places that charge twice the price (or more) for half the character. Merci, Messr. Laurent.Special Features:
- Great findalwayshungryDined on 6/7/2014Small but charming. Service was friendly and efficient. Food was excellent. Only complaint - the portions were on the small side, which made the cost even more so.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambience, fabulous foodPickyEaterDined on 5/29/2014We chose the restaurant because it was in the general vicinity of another engagement and also because my Niece lives in Greenwich and would be able to join us. On another site the La Ripaille was rated five stars so we decided to make our reservation. The owner was so warm and enthusiastic about our party of four adults and a baby. What a nice surprise! The ambience was wonderful and the staff was so attentive. The food was amazing, we ordered the Goat Cheese appetizer three more times, it is a must. It is such a warm and comfortable environment and everyone was so attentive! Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Delightful ExperienceWaltersMuseumPatronsVIPDined on 5/24/2014We were in town from Baltimore and found the restaurant on Open Table. It is a charming bistro with delicious food and a warm and friendly staff. Everything from our appetizers to dessert was excellent. Well worth checking out for a pleasant, fairly casual evening in a space where it's easy to have a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- C'est magnifique!SouthernTravelerDined on 5/12/2014La Ripaille is a little bit of Paris tucked away on a busy block of the West Village. Walk through the door into a charming restaurant. Not only is the decor authentically French, so is the food: prepared with care, delicious, beautiful. The service is professional, but welcoming. My husband and I try to go whenever we're in New York. We took friends on our last visit and they were also delighted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a piece of old ParisPantagruelleDined on 5/8/2014delightful (very) little bistro, like you find only in certain old neighborhoods in Paris. BEST than the food is the owner, Laurent, who loves to talk to his custumers, specially about soccer! he has travelled a lot, lived in Portugal, speaks Portuguese with a cute accent, and has many funny stories to tell. Go to the bar for a drink, ask Laurent what you should have for dinner, what wine, etc. Who said French people are unfriendly? I lived in Paris and can say: it all depends on YOUR attitude.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/3/2014Great service and food. Quiet, pleasant dining experience. The manager & servers were extremely attentive.Special Features:
- We LOVE La RipailletimmmykVIPDined on 5/2/2014Alain has been making us feel special and welcome for 20 years. Everything from the moment we enter until we leave is always charming, delicious and relaxing. La Ripaille is our FAVORITE place in the West Village bar none. Our FAVE place in the city.Special Features:
- Fantastic Neighborhood GemChrisVIPDined on 4/28/2014La Ripaille consistently offers up delicious French food and fun, friendly service. My wife and I go there whenever we can. It is a smallish place with deep roots in the neighborhood. You will be made to feel like family. Your time there will truly be an experience.Special Features:
- Great French foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/26/2014We had dinner for two, and started early around 7pm. The owner was present, very knowledgeable and friendly. He was training up a new set of staff that evening, so they were a little green (thus the slightly lower service rating) but I have no doubt that in short order they will be up to the quality level needed. However, the owner, acting as host, ensured that we were well taken care of. We had specials: Asparagus w/ creme Anglais, mussels in garlic sauce, for appetizers; duck breast, and bass for main course. The food was absolutely delicious, and the serving size small, allowing us to have plenty of room for equally delightful desserts: pear cake and apple torte.Special Features:
- Wonderful dinnerStrangeDinerDined on 4/23/2014What a lovely spot for dinner! The food is terrific, and the service is great. We love this place!Special Features:
- Best anniversary dinnerbucktheiguanaDined on 4/16/2014Alain was such a wonderful host for our five-year anniversary dinner. The food was delicious and the wine selections were inspired. And, best of all, you could order a bottle of wine with your meal and it won't break the bank. We loved it and are looking forward to coming back.Special Features:
- always delicious - the salmonDogsVIPDined on 4/12/2014always delicious - the salmon is absolutely divine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Felt the vibrancy as. If IDivineDined on 4/1/2014Felt the vibrancy as. If I were in France. The owner came to the table, exchanged some humor and made us feel like we were in a neighborhood restaurant where everyone knows everyone. Servers were quite accommodating and personable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like being in France. LovedOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/21/2014Like being in France. Loved the food - especially the asparagus in a divine light hollandaise sauce -- perfect. Charming owner and delightful staff helped make for a lovely evening out with friends.Special Features:
- Feels like you're in EuropeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/15/2014Love the food and the ambience, but the wait was a little long (considering we had a reservation and our table was sitting there unattended for about 15 minutes). Apart from that (and the waitstaff being a tad slow - adding to the absolute European flair here, of course), it was a wonderful experience and I will absolutely be back many times.Special Features:
- Owner and staff were veryKayadog69Dined on 3/15/2014Owner and staff were very personable and attentive. Great French flair and delicious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent food, friendly staffDolphin70Dined on 3/14/2014Top notch food, everyone very friendly, especially owner. Sound level very acceptable for intimate conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French food done rightCWrightVIPDined on 3/6/2014Have been here three times, and have not been disappointed yet. Enjoyed it enough to bring an out of town guest. I haven't been to many Manhattan restaurants' I would be willing to take my friends. It gives me faith that there are places that are not mediocre.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood findnewyorkerdinerDined on 2/23/2014This was a great neighborhood find. The restaurant is quite charming. It looked and feel like a place you would find in Paris. The owner and staff were quite attentive to us during the whole meal. We came here for brunch. Will definitely come back for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real restaurantGs60Dined on 2/6/2014Not part of a chain. A rare find in New York anymore- a small restaurant with great ambiance and food. Affordable and enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.