538 Seabright Avenue
Santa Cruz, CA 95062Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://lapostarestaurant.com/
- Phone: (831) 457-2782
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5pm - 9:00pm Friday - Saturday: 5pm - 9:30pm Sunday: 5pm - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Katherine Stern
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: la Posta offers special menus for large parties. Please contact the restaurant for parties of more than 12 guests. The entire restaurant can be reserved for seated parties up to 60. Please contact the restaurant for details.
- Private Party Contact: Emily Avila 8314572782
- Entertainment: Italian music every Tuesday from 7pm until 9pm
- Special Events: Tuesday is Neighborhood Night - join us for our pizza and pasta specials, enjoy the live Italian folk music and see all of your neighbors! Thursday is Gault School Night - Eat well by doing good. Every Thursday, a percentage of your dining dollar will be donated to Gault School - the elementary school located just down Seabright Avenue!
A word from la Posta
la Posta serves fresh, seasonal meals with authentic Italian style. Join us for dinner and select from our pan-Italian menu which features fresh, house-made pastas, brick-oven breads, pizzas, and salumi. We strive to present meals that are farmed and harvested sustainably. Because we serve local and organic ingredients, depending upon the bounty of Santa Cruz' farming community, our menu changes frequently and features an wide array of specials. La Posta’s all-Italian wine list offers a baker’s dozen of wines by the glass or taste, the well informed list includes autochthonous varieties from artisan producers throughout Italy. La Posta adheres to the Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch and is certified in the City of Santa Cruz Green Business Program.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
la Posta - Best Restaurants in Santa Cruz ›
la Posta reviews from OpenTable diners
115 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (90)neighborhood gem (89)special occasion (44)notable wine list (43)romantic (30)hot spot (16)good for groups (10)kid-friendly (7)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Best Restaurant in Santa CruzBanducciDined on 11/25/2014At least that's what the Zagat Guide thinks, and we agree. Highlly innovative dishes coupled with reasonable prices. The dishes are so innovative that ordering is a challenge, but we have gone here at least ten times and have never been disappointed. A wonderful find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Even better than we remembered!AllyDined on 11/25/2014We discovered LA Posta several years ago and decided to stop in Santa Cruz this trip just to have dinner there. We were so right in making the stop! They now make their own bread and it was delicious. Fresh crab ravioli with a delicate sauce and a handful of fried nettles thrown on top Were perfect. The pizza with crisp italian bacon, mozzarella and a splattering of fried nettles was one of the finest pizzas we have ever had. The music on Tuesday nights is provided by a retired UC professor couple who play guitars and sing. Great place to eat! Plus we had the luck of sitting next to a world famous jazz bass player, his wife And child. This restaurant is a must go to stop when in Santa Cruz area!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently great!MBrodyVIPDined on 11/8/2014I have dined here many times. The food and service are consistently admirable. This last time, I will group share a margarita pizza as an appetizer. It was great. We all had heirloom lettuce salads with shaved Parmesan. Farm to table fresh with an wonderful light dressing. I then had to special, prosciutto wrapped quail. Fantastic! My companions have the Porkchop, which wise done to perfection. A delicious dinner.Special Features:
- good local eateriesfoodie2Dined on 11/7/2014Food is great. Service is great. Not totally familiar with location/immediate neighborhood. We dine out 1-2 times a week...this will be on our regular dine out list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous food, slow servicecinderellaDined on 11/6/2014We had crostini for the appetizer. 3 different kinds, really good. We both had a different kind of pizza, which were excellent! Highly recommend. That service was slow all night. Very friendly staff.Special Features:
- Dependably good neighborhood spotShockingAmbroseDined on 11/6/2014The four of is in our party had a satisfying and interesting dinner. We all chose various pizzas after trying several starters. All dishes were well conceived and prepared. It has become a regular place for us. If you have breakfast or lunch next door at Linda's Seabreeze Cafe and then dinner at La Posta you'll have eaten well that day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- semifoodieDined on 11/6/2014This is a great place for foodies, but the menu is so full of words and food items unknown to the general public that it is somewhat intimidating and pretentious. The food was prepared excellently although portions were small. Our particular waitress was not that helpful, but I think she was trying and was new. We asked to substitute one salad dressing for another and at first she said "no substitutions." We pushed her on it and she said she was told there would be an "upcharge." This seemed petty for a classy foodie restaurant. In the end I don't think there was any upcharge on the bill. This is a great neighborhood locale with excellent food. I would not recommend it for a group with people in it who do not like to try new things.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go !AfficianadoDined on 11/4/2014Amazing and inventive menu. Local ingredients prepared with loving care. Wonderful staff. Bodacious wine list. Don't miss eating at this neighborhood gem.Special Features:
- Seabright Gemluv2eatDined on 11/4/2014One of our favorite Santa Cruz area restaurants. The food is fresh, flavorful and interesting. My husband had the Berkshire pork chop with escarole, braised turnips and roasted quince, and said it was one of the best he had ever eaten. Perfectly prepared - moist and delicious. I had a simple salad of lightly dressed greens and shaved parmesan. It was wonderful. Just what a good starter should be - light and tasty. I then had the Pizza Zucca - with autumn squash, wild nettles, fontina and walnuts. Again, the flavors were great - interesting and innovative. Bread was also served with the meal and it is some of the best bread in Santa Cruz. It is made in-house and I just wish they had the capacity to make enough to sell it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Daring chef specialsOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/2/2014Mixed food values, but great specials elaborating courageous attempts at new delicious choices for our tastes. Bravo!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice findhistandardgalDined on 11/1/2014Recently spent a weekend in Santa Cruz and was lucky enough to stop by la Posta for dinner. The food was very good, well seasoned, and creative. I had the autumn salad followed by the squid. My partner had the persimmon/prosciutto antipasta followed by the tagliatore pasta dish. Our waiter mistakenly brought us the wrong bottle of wine, but the bottle he brought turned out to pair very nicely with our dishes. Overall, a very well crafted restaurant with a nice selection of options (even for the pescatarians among us). However, I was disappointed that there were no chickens in the rear parking lot. After reading other reviews about the chickens we were looking forward to saying "hello" to the ladies.Special Features:
- She's backOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Since the head cook returned from maternity leave, the food at La Posta has returned to the status of stunning. Varied and unusual dishes presented beautifully with deep and lingering flavors and textures, attentive staff ornaments truly remarkable dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good, but overpricedGrumpyProfDined on 10/28/2014We've not eaten at La Posta before, despite its reputation, because of the location and the price—there are good, cheaper restaurants that don't take us an hour to walk to. We decided to try it out during restaurant week, with the cheap fixed menu. We had an early reservation, so the restaurant was very quiet when we arrived, but was quite noisy by the time we finished—not a good place for a quiet conversation. The decor is somewhat "college town" with old rugs on a bare concrete floor where old tiles have been ripped up. The food was good (though the lentils were refrigerator cold), but not so special that the prices were justified. If you have the money, the food at La Posta is good, but you can get as good for less elsewhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a tasty discoveryFriendDined on 10/28/2014Love having this gem of a place in the neighborhood. Special tastes combos await. Love going there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fascinating menuappreciativeDined on 10/26/2014Very interesting sauces and preparation of pasta--anchovies and nettles with spinach tagliatelli. Delicious. The mix of vegetables in the salad was intriguing and tasty.Special Features:
- Birthday Dinner Fir The GrandsonOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/26/2014Perfect choice...great service, ambiance, food. Waitress brought him a dessert with a candle without being asked. Love this place!Special Features:
- Great Dining Experience!DaisyDined on 10/23/2014Service is always great here. Friendly, attentive, and informative. The food is seasonable and always excellent. Great wine list. I always ask the waiter to recommend a pairing and have never been disappointed. Their house made bread is the best in town! Also recommend their Americano coffee!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious ExperienceYummyDined on 10/23/2014What a gem. We were greeted with enthusiasm, seated right away, and had water and warm homemade bread on our table within 5 minutes. Everything on the menu had the most delicious descriptions and were all organic. The vegetable salad was a delicious surprise, and the homemade pasta a must. They sure pack a lot of flavor in each bite.Special Features:
- European flairCarlysleDined on 10/21/2014Best salad I've had outside Europe - and it's just lettuces, oil, vinegar, salt & pepper. In the hands of a kitchen staff who select the perfect oil and vinegar and get all the proportions exactly right. My wife's salad (a different one) was similarly impeccable. Main courses were perhaps slightly less stunning but still highly satisfactory. Reasonable corkage fee but the restaurant's own all-Italian wine list looks like fascinating territory to explore. We were in town on a short trip but hope we'll have a chance to come back soon and try the pizzas!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Food in Santa CruzBanducciDined on 10/14/2014Although this meal did not live up to our (many) previous experiences, which is fine because we appreciate La Posta's innovative menu. In this case I ordered a dish containing chicken, which turned out to be fried. So the lesson is to always question the server about how a disk is prepared. Also, ask for a table in the middle of the room (better acoustics). The young man who bussed our table (tall, nice looking) turned out to be more knowledgeable than the waiter (he should b promoted).Special Features:
- Unique Combinations of FlavorsTomRDined on 10/12/2014Wife and I went there for an anniversary dinner... basically on the reviews read on OpenTable. To say the least we were not disappointed. Reading the menu, we didn't expect the the food to be much different from other restaurants. But it was quite a bit different... I guess we should have known by the small organic garden they had in their back parking lot along with 5 live chickens roaming around back there. From their albacore appetizer special, to their chicken spinach rotolo and lamb sausage w/ cannellini beans... the ingredients of each course were good by themselves... but put them all together, the unique flavor bursts in your mouth. Something I haven't experienced since the French Laundry. You need to experience it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lost an edge?MoongoddessDined on 10/10/2014We have dined here many many times but due to travel, etc had not been in a few months. This recent experience was less stellar. LaPostas menu typically includes unusual but fabulous food combinations but this time around the menu lacked that edge. In addition the service was okay but pedantic- again lacking the edge that usually sets this place apart. Hopefully just an off night.Special Features:
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/10/2014My husband and I love the food here. The servers are very friendly and know the menu inside and out. Can't wait for our next visit!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/5/2014Each food item terrific with interesting combinations of fresh ingredients, lightly cooked. Good wine list plus inexpensive house wine option. Good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- chow downOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/4/2014La Posta was excellent. I went there because of the reviews I read and they were right. Service and food were great. Would highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Outstanding Dinner on 10/4/14JandADined on 10/4/2014Our party of four had an outstanding dinner on Saturday, October 4. From appetizers to salads to entrees, there wasn't a single miss. A highlight was the Jimmy nardello peppers in the whole wheat pappardelle dish - amazing flavor. Exceptional wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!cathyDined on 9/27/2014We had a great time here. The food was excellent--padron peppers, chicken paparadelle, pork shank, pizza---and the service by "John Oliver" as good as it comes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- local1local1Dined on 9/27/2014La Posta has overcome some early issues with service and consistancy to become one of our favorite restaurants. The food is always very good, sometimes fantastic; the waitstaff is generally experienced and pleasant- attentive without being overbearing. It's a great dining room, intimate but not cramped, and we've never had an issue with noise. All in all, it's one of our go-to restaurants in Santa Cruz.Special Features:
- Fresh and FlavorfulMarinaLocalDined on 9/25/2014Started eating here a couple of months ago and now go back regularly. Love the specials. Note the hens in the backyard that provide eggs for the pasta.Special Features:
- Never disappointsStaceyVIPDined on 9/25/2014La Posta is the best Italian restaurant in Santa Cruz, hands down. The menu changes seasonally so that each time you dine here you're surprised by new tastes. We loved the braised pork shank and the homemade charcuterie is wonderful. Try it all, you won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Manga MagnificoAfficianadoDined on 9/23/2014We took a friend who grows her own vegetables...a real locavore. She and we had a blast, loved the tastes, appreciated the great wine, enjoyed the music, and relaxed with all the good service. La Posta is a Central Coast gem !Special Features:
- ClayDined on 9/21/2014Like this place more and more. I'm a vegetarian so I don't have an opinion on the meat stuff. However, the salads are consistently creative, colorful, intriguing and delicious. Really great and many to choose from. Plenty of small plates that are vegetarian friendly and always at least one entree. Their fresh baked bread is to die for.Special Features:
- Very pleasant dinner for fourCulinary2VIPDined on 9/21/2014Very pleasant dinner for four -- interesting cuisine, local ingredients, eclectic wine list, outstanding fresh bread, friendly competent staff.Special Features:
- Second visit better than firstDineoutqueenVIPDined on 9/18/2014The gnocchi was so delicious. Great pork Ragusa preparation. Very nice house red wine. Pork shank was melt in your mouth delicious as well. Such a great food experience. Seating needs some seat cushions though. Hard wood. Begins to get to you afterfirsthour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tuesday Night deals are greatShockingAmbroseDined on 9/16/2014We've gone to La Posta several times recently on Tuesday evenings for the neighborhood special deal - for 15 bucks you get to choose any pasta dish or pizza, and they give you a glass of wine. The pastas and pizzas here are always good and interesting so its a terrific deal. And they have some live music too on Tuesdays too. Nothing fancy - just a couple of acoustic players- but it adds to the atmosphere. Lots of energy on these nights which makes it loud, sometimes too loud. When they opened years ago it was terribly loud - too many hard surfaces - but they added some padding to the ceiling which helps. Still it can be a challenge sometimes to hear what your companions are saying. Nevertheless, we keep going back for the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodmichaelDined on 9/16/2014It's all about the food. Great use of the pizza oven. Menu changes very often. Great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian with a flairMBrodyVIPDined on 9/13/2014I have dined here a number of times. Seems to get better every time. Every dish was spectacular. Service was exemplary. The pizzas are thin and crispy with special ingredients. The fig, ricotta pizza was yummy. Their roasted squid casserole with beans and nuts in a smoked paprika sauce was amazing. Excellent wine selections too. The other diners at our table all loved their dishes too.Special Features:
- Trying too hardJustMeDined on 9/13/2014I ordered the squid and it came stewed in some type of red sauce, which wasn't apparent from the description. It was too spicy and salty, paprika being the main culprit. The salad was very good, with some good crunchy nuts and fresh ingredients. I did tell the waitperson that I didn't enjoy the entree and she brought a dessert on the house which was a nice gesture. But having an entree that really wasn't very good put a damper on the whole meal, sorry. Each entree was something very unusual, almost hard to identify, and in this case "different" is not "better."
- #1 in Santa Cruz CountyClareDined on 9/9/2014Yes, I think La Posta is the #1 restaurant in Santa Cruz County.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014Food was excellent! Not that big of place. Probably not good for groups larger than 6 - 8 people.Special Features: