538 Seabright Avenue
Santa Cruz, CA 95062Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://lapostarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 8314572782
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5pm - 9:00pm Friday - Saturday: 5pm - 9:30pm Sunday: 5pm - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Katherine Stern
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: la Posta offers special menus for large parties. Please contact the restaurant for parties of more than 12 guests. The entire restaurant can be reserved for seated parties up to 60. Please contact the restaurant for details.
- Private Party Contact: Emily Avila 8314572782
- Entertainment: Italian music every Tuesday from 7pm until 9pm
- Special Events: Tuesday is Neighborhood Night - join us for our pizza and pasta specials, enjoy the live Italian folk music and see all of your neighbors! Thursday is Gault School Night - Eat well by doing good. Every Thursday, a percentage of your dining dollar will be donated to Gault School - the elementary school located just down Seabright Avenue!
A word from la Posta
la Posta serves fresh, seasonal meals with authentic Italian style. Join us for dinner and select from our pan-Italian menu which features fresh, house-made pastas, brick-oven breads, pizzas, and salumi. We strive to present meals that are farmed and harvested sustainably. Because we serve local and organic ingredients, depending upon the bounty of Santa Cruz' farming community, our menu changes frequently and features an wide array of specials. La Posta’s all-Italian wine list offers a baker’s dozen of wines by the glass or taste, the well informed list includes autochthonous varieties from artisan producers throughout Italy. La Posta adheres to the Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch and is certified in the City of Santa Cruz Green Business Program.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
la Posta - Best Restaurants in Santa Cruz ›
la Posta reviews from OpenTable diners
97 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (72)neighborhood gem (71)notable wine list (33)special occasion (32)romantic (27)hot spot (10)good for groups (8)kid-friendly (5)vibrant bar scene (2)late-night find (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Excellent!cathyDined on 9/27/2014We had a great time here. The food was excellent--padron peppers, chicken paparadelle, pork shank, pizza---and the service by "John Oliver" as good as it comes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- local1local1Dined on 9/27/2014La Posta has overcome some early issues with service and consistancy to become one of our favorite restaurants. The food is always very good, sometimes fantastic; the waitstaff is generally experienced and pleasant- attentive without being overbearing. It's a great dining room, intimate but not cramped, and we've never had an issue with noise. All in all, it's one of our go-to restaurants in Santa Cruz.Special Features:
- Never disappointsStaceyVIPDined on 9/25/2014La Posta is the best Italian restaurant in Santa Cruz, hands down. The menu changes seasonally so that each time you dine here you're surprised by new tastes. We loved the braised pork shank and the homemade charcuterie is wonderful. Try it all, you won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh and FlavorfulMarinaLocalDined on 9/25/2014Started eating here a couple of months ago and now go back regularly. Love the specials. Note the hens in the backyard that provide eggs for the pasta.Special Features:
- Manga MagnificoAfficianadoDined on 9/23/2014We took a friend who grows her own vegetables...a real locavore. She and we had a blast, loved the tastes, appreciated the great wine, enjoyed the music, and relaxed with all the good service. La Posta is a Central Coast gem !Special Features:
- Very pleasant dinner for fourCulinary2VIPDined on 9/21/2014Very pleasant dinner for four -- interesting cuisine, local ingredients, eclectic wine list, outstanding fresh bread, friendly competent staff.Special Features:
- ClayDined on 9/21/2014Like this place more and more. I'm a vegetarian so I don't have an opinion on the meat stuff. However, the salads are consistently creative, colorful, intriguing and delicious. Really great and many to choose from. Plenty of small plates that are vegetarian friendly and always at least one entree. Their fresh baked bread is to die for.Special Features:
- Second visit better than firstDineoutqueenVIPDined on 9/18/2014The gnocchi was so delicious. Great pork Ragusa preparation. Very nice house red wine. Pork shank was melt in your mouth delicious as well. Such a great food experience. Seating needs some seat cushions though. Hard wood. Begins to get to you afterfirsthour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tuesday Night deals are greatShockingAmbroseDined on 9/16/2014We've gone to La Posta several times recently on Tuesday evenings for the neighborhood special deal - for 15 bucks you get to choose any pasta dish or pizza, and they give you a glass of wine. The pastas and pizzas here are always good and interesting so its a terrific deal. And they have some live music too on Tuesdays too. Nothing fancy - just a couple of acoustic players- but it adds to the atmosphere. Lots of energy on these nights which makes it loud, sometimes too loud. When they opened years ago it was terribly loud - too many hard surfaces - but they added some padding to the ceiling which helps. Still it can be a challenge sometimes to hear what your companions are saying. Nevertheless, we keep going back for the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodmichaelDined on 9/16/2014It's all about the food. Great use of the pizza oven. Menu changes very often. Great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian with a flairMBrodyVIPDined on 9/13/2014I have dined here a number of times. Seems to get better every time. Every dish was spectacular. Service was exemplary. The pizzas are thin and crispy with special ingredients. The fig, ricotta pizza was yummy. Their roasted squid casserole with beans and nuts in a smoked paprika sauce was amazing. Excellent wine selections too. The other diners at our table all loved their dishes too.Special Features:
- Trying too hardJustMeDined on 9/13/2014I ordered the squid and it came stewed in some type of red sauce, which wasn't apparent from the description. It was too spicy and salty, paprika being the main culprit. The salad was very good, with some good crunchy nuts and fresh ingredients. I did tell the waitperson that I didn't enjoy the entree and she brought a dessert on the house which was a nice gesture. But having an entree that really wasn't very good put a damper on the whole meal, sorry. Each entree was something very unusual, almost hard to identify, and in this case "different" is not "better."
- #1 in Santa Cruz CountyClareDined on 9/9/2014Yes, I think La Posta is the #1 restaurant in Santa Cruz County.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014Food was excellent! Not that big of place. Probably not good for groups larger than 6 - 8 people.Special Features:
- farm freshvisitorDined on 9/5/2014Lots of nettles. Everything was a little on the spicy side for kids but yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian Foodin Santa CruzOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/3/2014On of the Santa Cruz gems. Excellent food in a very nice settingSpecial Features:
- Right in Our Own Neighborhood !AfficianadoDined on 9/2/2014Katherine Stern's incredible and changing menus at La Posta, a Seabright Avenue gem, are unsurpassed in Santa Cruz. Wonderful, helpful staff, a superb wine list and live music with The Rhythm Ranglers (playing toe tapping Medeterrean string music) on Tuesday nights make this a "must go" destination...and its affordable ! Don't miss the dessert offerings. With confidence, I know you'll enjoy this great place.Special Features:
- Sometimes spotty, this time greatcelesteVIPDined on 8/24/2014Have had some disappointing meals here and some very good ones. The most recent was excellent - all 3 courses! Nice service too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always...differentLocavoreDined on 8/23/2014We have been to la Posta several times. Each time the limited menu is different. I mean that in two ways. The menu changes and the dishes are, well, not what we consider traditional. They use both standard and unusual ingredients in unusual recipes. If someone goes here and is expecting a traditional upscale Italian dining experience, they may be disappointed. They usually do have some neat specials, but if you go late on a weekend nite, be prepared for the good specials to be sold out. All in all, recommended but be prepared for an unusual menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- la Posta consistently delviersmjabbettDined on 8/23/2014As always, dinner at la Posta restaurant in the Seabright neighborhood of Santa Cruz, near the yacht harbor, was a wonderful experience. Catherine's cuisine is interesting, varied, and always very well prepared and presented. Jennifer manages the floor with grace, flexibility (we suddenly had a 5th member of our group and she found a way to accommodate us without inconveniencing other diners), and aplomb. The wait staff are well trained, helpful, and pleasant, which always adds to the dining experience.Special Features:
- Love this place!WineFoodieVIPDined on 8/15/20142nd visit with consistent results. Food, service, and short but brilliantly curated wine list - all fabulous. Special mention - their bread, which is baked in their wood fired oven, is heavenly. Love what they're doing here. Perfect approach to high end dining in a Santa Cruz.Special Features:
- service still needs helpbettymentoDined on 8/12/2014I continue to wonder why the servers and hostess staff have such an attitude. This is a really good little restaurant but it's not a 5 star michelin establishment. A little humility would go a long way with these folks.Special Features:
- greatfood77greatfood77Dined on 8/10/2014Tasty food and the bread is great too! Friendly service and nice atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and Service Top-NotchgqtwineVIPDined on 8/7/2014Dinner at La Posta is always memorable with seemingly simple dishes constructed in imaginative and delicious ways. Great service (this visit it was Lindsey) adds to the great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/3/2014Great staff, welcoming atmosphere, nuanced interesting menu, and the food was delicious. We will recommend La Posta.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty and TastyCateVIPDined on 7/26/2014This was a lovely meal. Our pastas were fresh and attactive and delicious. The wine was reasonably priced. The service was attentive and friendly. We will definitely return on our next Santa Cruz visit. The only two negatives were: the salad (a special) was a bit overdressed (vinagrette), and there was no bar. I love a martini on a Saturday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A culinary treatPapaYogiVIPDined on 7/22/2014We are regular diners at La Posta and have never been disappointed. The homemade bread is so good you could make a meal out of it. Their daily specials are not to be missed and the homemade pasta is out of this world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Healthy and freshOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014The food is healthy and fresh and you can tell they scour the local produce for good finds. I had the lasagnetta and it was very good, but not fantastic. The grilled little gem salad, however, was fantastic. That was a home run. The wine list is Italian and pretty extensive.Special Features:
- Great experienceLobos1Dined on 7/12/2014We came up from the other end of the bay and were glad we did. Everything was outstanding - appetizers, entrees, service, ...We'll be back soon.Special Features:
- Great Ambience, Food Hit or MissFructophileDined on 7/10/2014This is a beautiful restaurant with a wonderful old-world ambience. The service is unfailingly pleasant and friendly. The wine list is difficult to decipher unless one is an expert on Italian wines, but the servers are very familiar with the wines and are always able to make an appropriate recommendation. We have found the food to be inventive, and on most visits, quite wonderfully prepared, but recently, the execution has been spotty: at our last visit, a house-cured salmon appetizer was far too salty for all three of us at the table, and the chicken saltimboca was almost too dry to eat. Perhaps an off night for the chef.Special Features:
- A Perfect Evening OutGitDownDined on 7/8/2014My dear cousin and I just enjoyed another fabulous Neighborhood Night at La Posta. Upon entering, we were instantly transported to an Italy of yore by the romantic musical stylings of guitar-and-mandolin duo The Rhythm Rangellers, who roved around the restaurant serenade-style as we ate. My cousin and I each ordered a pasta dish and glass of house wine (the $15 Neighborhood Night special) and we swooned over the savory breadcrumbs, locally caught shrimp, and buttery leeks gracing our scrumptious meal. For dessert we shared an affogato, which fueled our subsequent dance floor mania at 7 Come 11 at the Crepe Place. I'd recommend this evening to anyone--and it happens every Tuesday in Santa Cruz! How much better can it get?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tuesday NiteFood4meDined on 7/8/2014Brought guests from Phoenix for your special Neighbors nite. We were not disappointed! Pizza, salad and wine were delicious, as ususal. Great place to bring vistors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsYum831Dined on 7/6/2014I love the house made bread, pizza is excellent, recently had a great pea risotto. They use best ingredients. It's always good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KikiVIPDined on 7/5/2014Is pretty good consider in a small town like Santa CruzSpecial Features:
- dinner at la postalocal1Dined on 7/5/2014Another great meal at la posta. Certainly one of, if not THE best restaurant in town. Service was pleasant- attentive but not overbearing. The food was delightful, and the space is comfortable. Always a treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special neighborhood restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014I had wanted to eat here for years as this is in my neighborhood. While I would suggest a few minor changes overall, it was a memorable dining experience. The establishment is very welcoming and they go to great lengths to have fresh, homemade, delicious food.Special Features:
- Woodburning oven makes it the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/26/2014I love the wood oven-baked bread, the menu, and the waitstaff that is friendly and help with decision regarding wine.Special Features:
- Such good food!foodiefreakDined on 6/24/2014The ambiance was great, the waitstaff was professional and friendly and the food was FANTASTIC! I would recommend this hidden Santa Cruz gem to anyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/24/2014The service was great. Wonderful staff, including (in order encountered) hostess, bartender and waiter. The two musicians added a lot to the wonderful ambiance. Looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- nonameVIPDined on 6/20/2014Another great dinner at la Posta. Enjoyed the special beet salad, the pasta with summer squash and green beans and the snap peas and spinach with pancetta. Wonderful desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.