538 Seabright Avenue
Santa Cruz, CA 95062Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://lapostarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 8314572782
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5pm - 9:00pm Friday - Saturday: 5pm - 9:30pm Sunday: 5pm - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Katherine Stern
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: la Posta offers special menus for large parties. Please contact the restaurant for parties of more than 12 guests. The entire restaurant can be reserved for seated parties up to 60. Please contact the restaurant for details.
- Private Party Contact: Emily Avila 8314572782
- Entertainment: Italian music every Tuesday from 7pm until 9pm
- Special Events: Tuesday is Neighborhood Night - join us for our pizza and pasta specials, enjoy the live Italian folk music and see all of your neighbors! Thursday is Gault School Night - Eat well by doing good. Every Thursday, a percentage of your dining dollar will be donated to Gault School - the elementary school located just down Seabright Avenue!
A word from la Posta
la Posta serves fresh, seasonal meals with authentic Italian style. Join us for dinner and select from our pan-Italian menu which features fresh, house-made pastas, brick-oven breads, pizzas, and salumi. We strive to present meals that are farmed and harvested sustainably. Because we serve local and organic ingredients, depending upon the bounty of Santa Cruz' farming community, our menu changes frequently and features an wide array of specials. La Posta’s all-Italian wine list offers a baker’s dozen of wines by the glass or taste, the well informed list includes autochthonous varieties from artisan producers throughout Italy. La Posta adheres to the Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch and is certified in the City of Santa Cruz Green Business Program.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
la Posta - Best Restaurants in Santa Cruz ›
la Posta reviews from OpenTable diners
92 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (66)neighborhood gem (63)special occasion (34)notable wine list (31)romantic (27)hot spot (10)good for groups (6)vibrant bar scene (3)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Sometimes spotty, this time greatcelesteVIPDined on 8/24/2014Have had some disappointing meals here and some very good ones. The most recent was excellent - all 3 courses! Nice service too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always...differentLocavoreDined on 8/23/2014We have been to la Posta several times. Each time the limited menu is different. I mean that in two ways. The menu changes and the dishes are, well, not what we consider traditional. They use both standard and unusual ingredients in unusual recipes. If someone goes here and is expecting a traditional upscale Italian dining experience, they may be disappointed. They usually do have some neat specials, but if you go late on a weekend nite, be prepared for the good specials to be sold out. All in all, recommended but be prepared for an unusual menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- la Posta consistently delviersmjabbettDined on 8/23/2014As always, dinner at la Posta restaurant in the Seabright neighborhood of Santa Cruz, near the yacht harbor, was a wonderful experience. Catherine's cuisine is interesting, varied, and always very well prepared and presented. Jennifer manages the floor with grace, flexibility (we suddenly had a 5th member of our group and she found a way to accommodate us without inconveniencing other diners), and aplomb. The wait staff are well trained, helpful, and pleasant, which always adds to the dining experience.Special Features:
- Love this place!WineFoodieVIPDined on 8/15/20142nd visit with consistent results. Food, service, and short but brilliantly curated wine list - all fabulous. Special mention - their bread, which is baked in their wood fired oven, is heavenly. Love what they're doing here. Perfect approach to high end dining in a Santa Cruz.Special Features:
- service still needs helpbettymentoDined on 8/12/2014I continue to wonder why the servers and hostess staff have such an attitude. This is a really good little restaurant but it's not a 5 star michelin establishment. A little humility would go a long way with these folks.Special Features:
- greatfood77greatfood77Dined on 8/10/2014Tasty food and the bread is great too! Friendly service and nice atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and Service Top-NotchgqtwineVIPDined on 8/7/2014Dinner at La Posta is always memorable with seemingly simple dishes constructed in imaginative and delicious ways. Great service (this visit it was Lindsey) adds to the great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/3/2014Great staff, welcoming atmosphere, nuanced interesting menu, and the food was delicious. We will recommend La Posta.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty and TastyCateVIPDined on 7/26/2014This was a lovely meal. Our pastas were fresh and attactive and delicious. The wine was reasonably priced. The service was attentive and friendly. We will definitely return on our next Santa Cruz visit. The only two negatives were: the salad (a special) was a bit overdressed (vinagrette), and there was no bar. I love a martini on a Saturday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A culinary treatPapaYogiVIPDined on 7/22/2014We are regular diners at La Posta and have never been disappointed. The homemade bread is so good you could make a meal out of it. Their daily specials are not to be missed and the homemade pasta is out of this world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Healthy and freshOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014The food is healthy and fresh and you can tell they scour the local produce for good finds. I had the lasagnetta and it was very good, but not fantastic. The grilled little gem salad, however, was fantastic. That was a home run. The wine list is Italian and pretty extensive.Special Features:
- Great experienceLobos1Dined on 7/12/2014We came up from the other end of the bay and were glad we did. Everything was outstanding - appetizers, entrees, service, ...We'll be back soon.Special Features:
- Great Ambience, Food Hit or MissFructophileDined on 7/10/2014This is a beautiful restaurant with a wonderful old-world ambience. The service is unfailingly pleasant and friendly. The wine list is difficult to decipher unless one is an expert on Italian wines, but the servers are very familiar with the wines and are always able to make an appropriate recommendation. We have found the food to be inventive, and on most visits, quite wonderfully prepared, but recently, the execution has been spotty: at our last visit, a house-cured salmon appetizer was far too salty for all three of us at the table, and the chicken saltimboca was almost too dry to eat. Perhaps an off night for the chef.Special Features:
- A Perfect Evening OutGitDownDined on 7/8/2014My dear cousin and I just enjoyed another fabulous Neighborhood Night at La Posta. Upon entering, we were instantly transported to an Italy of yore by the romantic musical stylings of guitar-and-mandolin duo The Rhythm Rangellers, who roved around the restaurant serenade-style as we ate. My cousin and I each ordered a pasta dish and glass of house wine (the $15 Neighborhood Night special) and we swooned over the savory breadcrumbs, locally caught shrimp, and buttery leeks gracing our scrumptious meal. For dessert we shared an affogato, which fueled our subsequent dance floor mania at 7 Come 11 at the Crepe Place. I'd recommend this evening to anyone--and it happens every Tuesday in Santa Cruz! How much better can it get?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tuesday NiteFood4meDined on 7/8/2014Brought guests from Phoenix for your special Neighbors nite. We were not disappointed! Pizza, salad and wine were delicious, as ususal. Great place to bring vistors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsYum831Dined on 7/6/2014I love the house made bread, pizza is excellent, recently had a great pea risotto. They use best ingredients. It's always good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KikiVIPDined on 7/5/2014Is pretty good consider in a small town like Santa CruzSpecial Features:
- dinner at la postalocal1Dined on 7/5/2014Another great meal at la posta. Certainly one of, if not THE best restaurant in town. Service was pleasant- attentive but not overbearing. The food was delightful, and the space is comfortable. Always a treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special neighborhood restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014I had wanted to eat here for years as this is in my neighborhood. While I would suggest a few minor changes overall, it was a memorable dining experience. The establishment is very welcoming and they go to great lengths to have fresh, homemade, delicious food.Special Features:
- Woodburning oven makes it the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/26/2014I love the wood oven-baked bread, the menu, and the waitstaff that is friendly and help with decision regarding wine.Special Features:
- Such good food!foodiefreakDined on 6/24/2014The ambiance was great, the waitstaff was professional and friendly and the food was FANTASTIC! I would recommend this hidden Santa Cruz gem to anyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/24/2014The service was great. Wonderful staff, including (in order encountered) hostess, bartender and waiter. The two musicians added a lot to the wonderful ambiance. Looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- nonameVIPDined on 6/20/2014Another great dinner at la Posta. Enjoyed the special beet salad, the pasta with summer squash and green beans and the snap peas and spinach with pancetta. Wonderful desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- la Posta for a surpriseTatianaDined on 6/14/2014Had we not been recommended to try la Posta, we wouldn't have gone there based on the simple exterior. But, fortunately a friend said to go, and to make reservations. The menu items were really different and each one had something that was interesting. I had a pizza with nettle pesto, ricotta, capers and some nice heat from chile peppers. It was gorgeous and burst with flavor. My husband had the roast pork which was tender, moist and topped with cherries. My daughter had the fig and prosciuotto pizza which was a little too rich and sweet for me, but she loved it. Our assistant waiter was wonderfully fun and professional. The vibe was lively and it seemed that many people were familiar to the staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great taste!lovefoodDined on 6/14/2014My husband and i came to La Posta for the first time June14, 2014. Friends recommended it. The food was really wonderful. I had the chicken and it was superb and my husband said his pork tenderloin was the best he ever had. The only critical thing we have to say is that both of the dishes we had were heavier on the salt than we like. My husband salts everything but his dish had too much salt. Chef maybe consider lessening the salting.Special Features:
- Best Food in Santa CruzBanducciDined on 6/13/2014We have eaten at La Posta at least five times, and have never been disappointed by the food. The dishes are both imaginative and delicious. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- DeliciousthemusicladyDined on 6/6/2014I loved this restaurant. Everything was so good!!!!Special Features:
- Comfortable neighbourhood placeplace7Dined on 6/4/2014la Posta is my favourite place for dinner in Santa Cruz. The food is very good, the service is professional. The wine list (and glassware) is one of the best in Santa Cruz. The focus of the wine list is Italian wines and they are well curated. The food is California/fresh/modern with a rustic element.Special Features:
- Great food!sanjDined on 5/31/2014We've been to La Posta a few times and always had a good meal. We have now had the same server the last 2 times (coincidence) and both times been underwhelmed by his wine selections / suggestions. He always recommends only the most expensive wines on the menu. Both times we have gotten someone else (bartender the first time and hostess the second time) to give us ideas - which were all great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodSCBearsDined on 5/28/2014Tried LaPosta for the very first time. Great food, nice neighborhood, however, service was fine, but bland. Restaurant could have been a bit more upbeat with nice music, instead, rather quite and lacked personality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- another great mealClover88VIPDined on 5/23/2014We arrived late because of a traffic jam (we called to say we'd be 15-30 minutes late) and it was no problem. My spouse had the fish stew for the second time in the last 10 days because he enjoyed it so much last time. I had the special pizza and the farm salad. While I like many of the menu choices, I think you will always enjoy the specials: fresh, inventive dishes.Special Features:
- Disappointing meal at La PostaPhotoGirlDined on 5/23/2014The bread is fantastic but it was downhill from there. The ravs with fava beans and mint were ok but not as creative as I had hoped. My husband's seafood stew, though expensive, had little seafood and an insipid, thin sauce. My salmon, although fresh, had some unidentified white stuff glopped on which they didn't know what it was until checking (greek yogurt they said) but it tasted like supermarket mayo. Under the salmon was a mix of lentils and other ingredients which was nothing to write home about. We chose not to have dessert because the menu was uninspired. I put that it was our 39th anniversary on the open table form and no one even acknowledged that!
- Great food & wine, friendly serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/23/2014Small menu but excellent food, great wine list, great food for the price! Attentive service. Unpretentious. I like it even better than its sister restaurant (Soif).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Real GemBiscottigirlDined on 5/20/2014I'd been hearing nothing but good stuff about La Posta. It was all true. The staff was friendly and very professional. I had a zillion questions and our waiter had all the answers. The dining room is inviting, clean and casual. The food is beautiful. There is a tremendous amount of thought, skill and work put into each dish but the plate is unpretentious. Every bite absolutely delicious. Real food prepared with respect.Special Features:
- Try the specialsClover88VIPDined on 5/17/2014The fresh ingredients and thoughtful preparations make the specials a great meal; never a risk to try them.Special Features:
- Neighborhood nightFood4meDined on 5/13/2014Can't beat the Tuesday night specials! Specialty pizzas-so many to choose from. Had the artichoke, fava bean, caper and it was fabulous! Bartender very friendly and knowledgeable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply PerfectJakeDined on 5/13/2014This is not a fancy place but a very good place. Each dish was thoughtfully and carefully prepared. Clearly a place for locals but we were made to feel at home right away. It appears that everything is prepared in-house: bread,pasta etc. If you found this in Italy you would be smug. A good solid restaurant with earned self confidence.Special Features:
- creative, delicious local italiandineomiteDined on 5/9/2014Wife and I dined at 8pm on a Saturday, had a wonderful full course meal. Antipasti were spectacular, epecially smoked duck breast with kumquat/shaved fennel. The earthy lamb shank pasta and patata pizza were loaded with unexpected contrasts. The Sardinian-style seafood stew was beautifully composed, although a few of the mussels and clams were unopened. A slighly lighter touch with the sea-salt would be appreciated by some diners -- we were noticeably thirsty when we got back to our hotel. The special dessert, a light almond-lemon cake with pine nuts and rosemary, accompanied by creamy espresso, was a hit at our table. Definitely worth a return visit and a detour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unbelievably great!StaceyVIPDined on 5/8/2014We live within walking distance of La Posta. Lucky for us because it's a stand out in Santa Cruz. The food equals any big city restaurant and surpasses most. We enjoyed the house made charcuterie, saffron infused lamb cannelloni and house made sausages. Truly everything was perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super!ChristaDined on 5/6/2014I don't think of Santa Cruz as a foodie mecca, so had limited expectations. SF Chron had given La Posta a great review, so that elevated expectations somewhat. La Posta wildly exceeded expectations in food and service categories. The ambiance was fine, but not memorable. All our dishes from salad to pasta to dessert were outstanding. Very fresh ingredients, thoughtfully combined. Also it was a Tuesday night. There was a fun duo that started playing at 7. And you get a free glass of wine with a pasta dish, which seemed very generous. For the cost of the meal, this place was incredible.Special Features: