La Plazuela at La Fonda on the Plaza
100 E. San Francisco Street
Santa Fe, NM 87501Neighborhood:
SouthwestPrice: $30 and under
La Plazuela at La Fonda on the Plaza
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.lafondasantafe.com/
- Phone: 5059952334
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm; Breakfast: Monday - Sunday: 7:00am - 11:30am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican / Southwestern, Southwest, Contemporary Mexican
- Executive Chef: Lane Warner
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from La Plazuela at La Fonda on the Plaza
La Plazuela was the hotel’s original 1920s patio and it retains that sunlit Old World charm. Skylights flood the dining room with natural light and handsome carved furnishings, artisanal lighting, and our much-loved hand painted windows create a beautiful, inviting room to gather, to dine and to make memories in. The menu was crafted to showcase old favorites with New World influences and authentic New Mexican cuisine, and our award-winning wine list is exceptional. La Plazuela at La Fonda on the Plaza is Santa Fe’s gathering place. Come dine with us!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
La Plazuela at La Fonda on the Plaza - Best Restaurants in Santa Fe ›
La Plazuela at La Fonda on the Plaza reviews from OpenTable diners
101 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (50)fit for foodies (40)romantic (33)neighborhood gem (24)great for lunch (24)good for groups (23)great for brunch (13)notable wine list (12)hot spot (10)kid-friendly (8)vibrant bar scene (8)great for outdoor dining (5)scenic view (4)late-night find (4)Show More
- Great Food Beautiful surroundingsmarybsDined on 10/15/2014La Plazuela is in the historic (it may be historic, but not that old since it was built in 1923 and the Palace of the Governors across the plaza was built in 1610. Yes, that is ten years before the pilgrims landed.) La Fonda Hotel at one corner of the Santa Fe Plaza. I have enjoyed it before on trips to Santa Fe, but now the food is amazing. Four of us shared a tempura squash blossom appetizer and loved it. One of us is a vegetarian and was amazed by the variety of dishes she could choose from. She got the vegetarian taco plate and one of us ordered the cauliflower steak. They both were happy they did. The service was perfect and the room is lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Freezing dining roomOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/3/2014The dining room was so cold that even receiving our food on warm plates did not matter. The food got cold by the second bite. We complained to the restaurant manager but his hands were tied he said. he said he was told to keep the temp at 68F. The temp was no where close to 68F but closer to 60F. Cold enough to have to wear a sweater and fleece jacket over it. The good food and nice wine were completely spoiled by the frigid dining room.
- Amazing Hotel RestaurantOHEngVIPDined on 9/25/2014Have never been disappointed at La Plazuela. Classic Southwest food, impeccably prepared and excellent service. Great classic space in an old hotel (La Fonda). Everyone in our group of four went away well pleased. Extensive wine list that covers many price points. Chile relleno with green chili sauce and the accompanying posole were tasty without being overly spice. The vegetarian in the group was very pleased with the Cauliflower steak and accompanying grilled veggies. Don't miss the renovated Tower Bar at sunset!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic Old Santa FeTackVIPDined on 9/25/2014La Plazuela is the dining room of the old La Fonda Hotel and serves a good selection of New Mexican food, as well as an array of other choices. The setting is quite beautiful, the place always very busy and the food well prepared. Also, the prices are exceptionally reasonable, as my wife and I were able to dine, including alcoholic beverages, for less than $70.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty goodwinehick239Dined on 9/25/2014We went for dinner after a very long day. The service was very efficient. The room was a bit noisy but not overwhelming. As far as the food went I started with the tortilla soup which was definitely homemade but a bit bland. For the main course I had the filet and enchiladas. Both were very good. A decent wine list as well. I was not blown away, hence the 3 stars, however I would eat here again. Very convenient location BTW.Special Features:
- nice eveningCindyDined on 9/18/2014We love Santa Fe'. La Plazuela is located in an historic hotel so the ambiance is great from that perspective. I would have preferred this restaurant to be a little more quiet for dinner. In my view it would be better for breakfast/lunch (I have done this on an earlier visit) The food is good, but not memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- runnercw41Dined on 9/14/2014Intimate, quiet dining. The food was very well-prepared, if a little pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb find in Santa FepaljoeysmomDined on 9/13/2014My BF and I came to Santa Fe to celebrate my birthday. Found this resturant on Open Table and decided to give it a try. The dining room is very posh and pretty. We had exceptional service on the 2 nights we fined here, The first night we asked for chips and salsa which were not onthe menu. They happily obliged with warm chips and tasty salsa. BF and I split a Caesar salad which was yummy. Portions here are Very Large so splitting entrees is a good idea even if you are big eaters like us. We had the tamales, chicken, and the fajita's all extra large plates and absolutely delicious. They have very good bread and rolls as well. We often go out for fine dining and this place is definitely in my top 5 for overall dining. A true gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reminds us of a national park lodge4thgenerationLouisianaDined on 9/7/2014Ate late on a Sunday night. Rellenos were wonderful with the green sauce. Wife's house margarita was the only thing that left something to be desired.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great experienceAlmaVIPDined on 9/7/2014I thoroughly enjoyed my dinner at La Plazuela. My waitress Aviva was attentive, but not intrusive. The tableside guacamole is worth it, even if you are dining alone. It was delicious, even the next day as a snack. The chile rellenos were the best I had in Santa Fe - lightly fried and still crunchy when served. I'd go back just to enjoy them again, though there are many more great sounding items on the menuSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/31/2014Great restaurant and reasonably priced. I had enchiladas and they were outstanding. Very accommodating service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef needs more trainingTheperfectbelleDined on 8/31/2014This is my second time at this restaurant, the first time everything was perfect! The food was amazing. I went back after about 6 months and my how things had changed. I ordered a similar dish - the filet mignon - however this time the filet was over-cooked. I asked for medium and it was burnt on the outside and nothing was pink in the middle. I returned it and the second one was much better but still a little over-cooked. By this point however my whole table had dinner and was waiting on me to finish so I just ate it to get out of there. My husband had the elk filet, and again the cook did not have any consistency in the preparation. He asked for medium rare and of the three filets - none met this requirement. We were so disappointed.
- Good hotel restaurantsterlisrVIPDined on 8/30/2014The restaurant was cute and the food was good. It wasn't exactly a spot for foodies, but definitely worked for us. The tableside guacamole was great.
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/28/2014We had the best time. Angel was able to make great recommendations of the food and wine, his knowledge was extensive. The rooms ambiance is beautiful with the amber chandler and tree lights. The food is outstanding, flavors of Northern New Mexico. The wine list is extensive with over 100 selections, great pricing too. We can't wait to return when we visit Santa Fe again. Thank you so much for the hospitality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service needs ImprovementDisappointedDined on 8/24/2014The service on this night was extremely bad. Took 10 minutes for waiter to finally take order. Didn't see him again for over 30 minutes. Had to go to reception with glass in hand to ask for a refill for my drink (soda). The guacamole or avocados were brown on the inside. When we asked the server about it, he simply stated this is how they came on that day and proceeded to make the salad (he wasn't eating it of course). The entrees were served about an hour from the time the order was placed. This is a popular restaurant but on this Sunday night they were not crowded and the quality of food and service was way poorer than when they are busy.
- Old Mexico on the PlazaFoodfor2Dined on 8/24/2014La Plazuela never disappoints. If one enjoys great food, excellent service and the feeling of dining in old Mexico, this restaurant is a must. We had the chile rellenos and cheese enchiladas, both cooked to perfection ( I am quite fussy about rellenos). They must be encased in a light, crispy batter - not soggy. These were some of the best I have ever had. The red chile was properly spicy with a good "after burn".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New favorite in Santa Fe!Localgal235Dined on 8/24/2014Reasonably priced. Friendly, knowledgable and attentive staff. Wonderful variety of meals for all palates. I'm a local here and will be back!!Special Features:
- Soutwest gourmetTiburonhombreDined on 8/23/2014Set in a classic Santa Fe hotel, the restaurant has an interesting mix of SW style favorites, standard fare and even wild game. Deep fried squash blossoms stuffed with chees are an exotic appetizer;Special Features:
- TimelessJJ34Dined on 8/23/2014La Fonda is a timeless classic in true Santa Fe fashion. Great atmosphere, great food, and great attentive service. Recommended for any time of day. One of the top tables in Santa Fe (and that's not easy to do.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Southwest fareTryonDined on 8/20/2014We had the fajitas for 2 and it was a lot of food. Great tasting especially the posole. Great food for a hotel restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful glocljc1Dined on 8/20/2014The gloc was perfect; they roast the garlic and peppers, and prepare it in front of you. That gives a person the chance to customize it. The hominy was also perfectSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/18/2014First off my review is too long to post here in detail. Our service was terrible and the food wasn't nothing to rave about or write home about. One small detail I will add with the given amount of space about the service is that when we declined dessert we were charged for a dessert. We will not be returning. And, I would not recommend this place to family or a friend.Special Features:
- Prime Rib DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/17/2014I've had lots of prime rib, but this was easily one of the best! Tender, juicy and wonderful!!Special Features:
- A great dinnerPatti09Dined on 8/11/2014My husband and I had a very nice dinner. The restaurant was very busy at our reservation time, so we went to the bar for a fabulous margarita. We returned later and were shown to our table immediately. Service was very good. Our waitress was busy but managed several tables effortlessly. The food was very good. I am not really fond of posole, but there was a helping of it on my plate and it was delicious.Special Features:
- Spectacular mealMNtravellerDined on 8/9/2014My friend had the elk steak, which I got to taste. It was exceptionally good -- great flavor, perfectly cooked. The server was incredibly accommodating with his requests for substitutions of the sides that came with it. I couldn't decide between the rellenos and tamales, and the server offered to do a plate of one of each. Now that's a great server! The relleno was the best I have ever had -- and I have had hundreds. Everything about the experience was fantastic. I'm really glad we had reservations, too, because they were completely full. We are definitely going back to La Plazuela when we return to Santa Fe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Below ExpectationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/6/2014The food was average which really surprised me, given the write-ups I've seen. Service was very poor and slow. It was a pretty "courtyard" like dining room, which is unique. Nothing stands out with the menu. It was supposed to be a birthday celebration, so was a bit disappointed with the overall experienceSpecial Features:
- Amazing...againduncansoonerDined on 8/4/2014We have eaten here on our last 2 trips to Santa Fe. It has become a tradition of sort. The food was amazing. The service is impeccable and the overall experience is top shelf.Special Features:
- A very pleasant experienceheaderDined on 8/1/2014Our first time at this particular restaurant in Santa Fe although we've eaten in their bar many times. It was delicious, well-prepared, with excellent service. The room is beautiful and light with lovely glass panels all around. We will return.Special Features:
- Great spot!TavrofanVIPDined on 7/29/2014It was a great find while visiting Santa Fe. Decoration was beautiful, food was taste, service was great. We had a nice big table for 2 of us. It's in the same building as La Fonda hotel and some stores so it's fun to walk around.Special Features:
- SO BUT.........NOT NOTEABLE FOODGoodeatsDined on 7/28/2014I love la Fonda but the service was so slow we began at 6pm and it was almost 9 before we left.....terribly slow service. And then the food was disapointing. My Sea Bass was not really tasty or moist, I dine out all the time and have had recently had fabulous see food at Midtown Bistro. I will always love the ambiance here and the history but will choose another place got dine on my birthday.Special Features:
- Summer BreakGranManDined on 7/17/2014Loved the atmosphere and the food. Service was good and staff was friendly. My family really enjoyed it and we would definitely stop by again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!PleasedVIPDined on 7/12/2014La Plazuela is our favorite restaurant in Santa Fe! Terrific enchiladas and margaritas! Breakfast, lunch, and dinner are all great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful roomJcaveDined on 7/12/2014This spot in the center of the La Fonda is one o the most attractive dining rooms in he city. Food is good and service excellent.Special Features:
- Great MargaritasRobinDined on 7/11/2014Food was good. Margaritas were great. Much better than another place in town that is supposed to have the best margs. Pleased with service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Northern New Mex cuisineMonarchBeachBumDined on 7/10/2014This is our first time to Santa Fe and didn't want to end up with a commercialized New Mexican cuisine. We were looking for authentic Northern New Mexican food near the Plaza. This place did not dissapoint. Try the beef enchiladas and the pork tamales. Yum.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummySperson18VIPDined on 7/10/2014We really had an excellent meal. We all chose to stick with the Mexican Flare including Margaritas and everything was great. We all shared tastes of each others food and raved about them all. We would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/3/2014We had the best time. Stormi was great, she was fun and very attentive. The food was outstanding, from the first bite to the last. We will be back soon. Great wine list too.Special Features:
- hight class mexican cookingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/25/2014Classical mexican food adapted to the new way of cooking, the taste are more complex and subtile with a n interesting use of product that i discover :green rice, grilled bean,a type of cornvery tastywith big grains. It is more expensive that a classical mexical but the price is correct regarding to the qualitySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 548 reviews are from the La Plazuela at La Fonda on the Plaza reviews archive.
- Great Santa Fe restaurantChicagofavsVIPDined on 6/22/2014We visited this restaurant on a recent visit to Santa Fe at the recommendation of a friend. We had wonderful drinks at the rooftop bar and then a delicious dinner in the beautiful hotel . The staff were efficient , friendly and professional. We will return to this beautiful restaurant again on our next visit to Santa FeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Southwest inspiredSteveVIPDined on 5/29/2014We were in Sante Fe sightseeing and taking in the cuisine of the region. The dishes here at La Plazuela were New Mexican and Southwestern inspired specialties, just what we were looking for. Tamales and enchiladas were savory and smothered with cheese and sauces of the region. The delicate green and bolder red chile sauces were truly delicious. The hominy and bean side dishes were very good, as well. Our server, Ian, was very attentive and had been the bartender here for several years. He recommended a jalapeño margarita that was very interesting with the bite of pepper and a great accompaniment to my meal. The decor is delightful with all the surrounding panes of glass painted with a southwest or American Indian motif. Must do.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.