La Plazuela at La Fonda on the Plaza
100 E. San Francisco Street
Santa Fe, NM 87501Neighborhood:
SouthwestPrice: $30 and under
La Plazuela at La Fonda on the Plaza
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.lafondasantafe.com/
- Phone: (505) 995-2334
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm; Breakfast: Monday - Sunday: 7:00am - 11:30am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican / Southwestern, Southwest, Contemporary Mexican
- Executive Chef: Lane Warner
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from La Plazuela at La Fonda on the Plaza
La Plazuela was the hotel’s original 1920s patio and it retains that sunlit Old World charm. Skylights flood the dining room with natural light and handsome carved furnishings, artisanal lighting, and our much-loved hand painted windows create a beautiful, inviting room to gather, to dine and to make memories in. The menu was crafted to showcase old favorites with New World influences and authentic New Mexican cuisine, and our award-winning wine list is exceptional. La Plazuela at La Fonda on the Plaza is Santa Fe’s gathering place. Come dine with us!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
La Plazuela at La Fonda on the Plaza - Best Restaurants in Santa Fe ›
La Plazuela at La Fonda on the Plaza reviews from OpenTable diners
107 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (57)fit for foodies (49)romantic (39)neighborhood gem (31)good for groups (26)great for lunch (22)great for brunch (17)notable wine list (13)hot spot (11)vibrant bar scene (10)kid-friendly (8)scenic view (4)late-night find (4)great for outdoor dining (4)Show More
- Nice find on a cold nightsuezDined on 11/12/2014We chose La Plazuela because of the menu and because we could walk from our hotel on a cold night. The menu is great, southwest for me, more standard fare for hubby. Service was prompt and friendly with good suggestions for dinner and wine. The dining room is classic southwest, very open with a water feature. Probably not a "hip" spot, but perfect for us since we wanted quiet romantic. The food and wine were great, we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Meal in Every WayWinfieldManVIPDined on 11/11/2014My wife and I knew the restaurant was highly rated when we opted to dine there, but we were taken aback by just how excellent it was. The food itself was outstanding: filet on enchilladas and meatloaf. Highly recommend both. And we started with a shrimp cocktail and chowder before the entrees. My ONLY criticism is that the chowder could have been hotter. But the taste!! Had my eyeballs rolling in their sockets. Definitely a restaurant to try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent.2foodiesDined on 11/11/2014Love to go here just about anytime. Delicious food for every taste bud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Oustanding, Service Excellentwellsie7VIPDined on 11/10/2014And the setting is wonderful too. Best chili rellenos ever! Great margaritas and our waitress was fantastic! Great last meal in Santa Fe. Hope to go back for a third time! The room really feels like a hacienda plaza, without being at all tacky or overdone. Chairs were super comfortable! And prices were not outrageous.Special Features:
- Center of Santa Fe ActionCurlysueDined on 11/9/2014Located in the historical La Fonda hotel steps from the Basilica and the square, this is a fantastic place to dine in Santa Fe and sample the northern New Mexico cuisine as well as other options. Great ambience, great decor, great food and friendly waiters. Tableside guacamole is a great place to start when ordering. Pork carnitas tacos were fab and GF options are also available. Great hand shaken margaritas delight! Cost is very reasonable for a wonderful NM experience in dining. :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GoodWER2014VIPDined on 11/9/2014Consistently good food and attentive service. The price point is amazing for what you get. The tableside guacamole is a must. The Chicken tortilla soup unfortunately tends to have had bones in it the 2 times I have ordered it. They charge you for extra chips for your guacamole (unfortunate because half our chips came out super tiny and we couldn't pick them up, so we ordered more) The management is always great and took off the tortilla soup from our ticket. We always have the fajitas and they are amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great service & food at great priceDeliciousnessVIPDined on 11/8/2014LOVED both the corn & green chili chowder and the quail tacos. Will go back again. WaiterAngelfriendlyprofessional;maitre'ds too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday ClubMMPSFDined on 11/6/2014Thank you for the birthday club free entree, it made my week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Attractive setting--nice menuFamilyfunVIPDined on 10/31/2014Beautiful setting within the hotel. Service was prompt and friendly. Nice menu selections--Prime Rib was perfectly cooked--ditto for my wife's filet. Fun evening. Only menu item that I thought was overpriced was $5.00 per shrimp for the shrimp cocktail--as most contain 4 shrimp a total of $20.00 seemed excessive. Otherwise thought menu was reasonable for this class of restaurant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic MexicanBonvivantDined on 10/31/2014We enjoyed classic Mexican dishes with authentic sides in generous servings at a very reasonable price, served in a courtyard with soaring ceilings. Service was first-rate: when my wife asked about enchiladas vs chile relleno, the server brought her both! The house margarita was also the best I have ever had. We recommend La Plazuela heartily.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Center of it all!JerryJDined on 10/30/2014The location is amazing....right in the center of the CITY and the Best of its "high places charm" as well as it's wonderful history and storied past/future. Capital place for a Capitol City. The menu has a strong range of garden fresh as well as New Mex Mex. There will rustle you up a large portion of guacamole right at your table from the avocado parts and spices/veg. We had the beers and martini specials too which were well concocted and reasonably priced. Service was special too! We will be back there soon!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/30/2014Exceptionally nice. Outstanding on all counts - - food, ambiance and service.Special Features:
- Try the ChowderOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/28/2014Amazing Roasted Corn-Poblano Chowder soup even for the most timid that fear anything spicy. I look forward to dining there again when in Santa Fe.Special Features:
- Good eating at La PlazuelaDondePaloAltoDined on 10/27/2014Food and service are very good at La Plazuela, the main restaurant in La Fonda on the plaza in Santa Fe. Traditional New Mexican-style dishes incorporating Hatch green and red chile, pozole, blue corn, tamales, sopapillas, etc. are especially good. This restaurant is a good choice for lunch or dinner if you are in old Santa Fe.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Several locals talk about if they just show up without a reservation the greeting is very rude when there are many tables available. With the low economy I would suggest that you change the attitude of the greeters. Your greeters even when you have a reservation are not that good. It is like checking into a prison. However the food, the ambiance and the wait persons are wonderful especially Angel the waiter. I own an insurance agency. La Plazuela is also dependent on LOCALS during the winter. Please reeducate the greeters. Their hello makes the first impression. La Fonda has the best breakfast in town. I was recently speaking with an attorney friend of mine who said he was fed up with the people who escort you to your table.Special Features:
- Great Place2muchfunDined on 10/24/2014My best friend & I had a wonderful dinner, the ambiance can't be beat! All the staff were exceptional especially our waiter. We enjoyed the food,wine, atmosphere,& most of all, the staff did not rush you & allowed us to have a wonderful evening we will not forget. We will definitely be back!! Thank you for having such a wonderful place to go & make everyone feel special. This place has it all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great part of Santa Fe!neighborDined on 10/23/2014The dining environment is beautifully designed from breakfast to dinnertime. Food at both meals was incredible and staff were really friendly. Would highly recommend this for Santa Fe visit.Special Features:
- Great Food Beautiful surroundingsmarybsDined on 10/15/2014La Plazuela is in the historic (it may be historic, but not that old since it was built in 1923 and the Palace of the Governors across the plaza was built in 1610. Yes, that is ten years before the pilgrims landed.) La Fonda Hotel at one corner of the Santa Fe Plaza. I have enjoyed it before on trips to Santa Fe, but now the food is amazing. Four of us shared a tempura squash blossom appetizer and loved it. One of us is a vegetarian and was amazed by the variety of dishes she could choose from. She got the vegetarian taco plate and one of us ordered the cauliflower steak. They both were happy they did. The service was perfect and the room is lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Freezing dining roomOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/3/2014The dining room was so cold that even receiving our food on warm plates did not matter. The food got cold by the second bite. We complained to the restaurant manager but his hands were tied he said. he said he was told to keep the temp at 68F. The temp was no where close to 68F but closer to 60F. Cold enough to have to wear a sweater and fleece jacket over it. The good food and nice wine were completely spoiled by the frigid dining room.
- Never lets us downFbeanVIPDined on 9/28/2014My husband & I travel to Santa Fe several times a year. We always return to La Plazuela usually for several dinners. We tried many of their selections including the steak, fish, & chicken & farmers selection. They have all been excellent. The atmosphere is festive & relaxing. This restaurant holds it's own with some of the more famous fine dinning restaurants in Santa Fe. I can't wait to return.Special Features:
- Amazing Hotel RestaurantOHEngVIPDined on 9/25/2014Have never been disappointed at La Plazuela. Classic Southwest food, impeccably prepared and excellent service. Great classic space in an old hotel (La Fonda). Everyone in our group of four went away well pleased. Extensive wine list that covers many price points. Chile relleno with green chili sauce and the accompanying posole were tasty without being overly spice. The vegetarian in the group was very pleased with the Cauliflower steak and accompanying grilled veggies. Don't miss the renovated Tower Bar at sunset!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic Old Santa FeTackVIPDined on 9/25/2014La Plazuela is the dining room of the old La Fonda Hotel and serves a good selection of New Mexican food, as well as an array of other choices. The setting is quite beautiful, the place always very busy and the food well prepared. Also, the prices are exceptionally reasonable, as my wife and I were able to dine, including alcoholic beverages, for less than $70.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty goodwinehick239Dined on 9/25/2014We went for dinner after a very long day. The service was very efficient. The room was a bit noisy but not overwhelming. As far as the food went I started with the tortilla soup which was definitely homemade but a bit bland. For the main course I had the filet and enchiladas. Both were very good. A decent wine list as well. I was not blown away, hence the 3 stars, however I would eat here again. Very convenient location BTW.Special Features:
- nice eveningCindyDined on 9/18/2014We love Santa Fe'. La Plazuela is located in an historic hotel so the ambiance is great from that perspective. I would have preferred this restaurant to be a little more quiet for dinner. In my view it would be better for breakfast/lunch (I have done this on an earlier visit) The food is good, but not memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- runnercw41Dined on 9/14/2014Intimate, quiet dining. The food was very well-prepared, if a little pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb find in Santa FepaljoeysmomVIPDined on 9/13/2014My BF and I came to Santa Fe to celebrate my birthday. Found this resturant on Open Table and decided to give it a try. The dining room is very posh and pretty. We had exceptional service on the 2 nights we fined here, The first night we asked for chips and salsa which were not onthe menu. They happily obliged with warm chips and tasty salsa. BF and I split a Caesar salad which was yummy. Portions here are Very Large so splitting entrees is a good idea even if you are big eaters like us. We had the tamales, chicken, and the fajita's all extra large plates and absolutely delicious. They have very good bread and rolls as well. We often go out for fine dining and this place is definitely in my top 5 for overall dining. A true gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reminds us of a national park lodge4thgenerationLouisianaDined on 9/7/2014Ate late on a Sunday night. Rellenos were wonderful with the green sauce. Wife's house margarita was the only thing that left something to be desired.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great experienceAlmaVIPDined on 9/7/2014I thoroughly enjoyed my dinner at La Plazuela. My waitress Aviva was attentive, but not intrusive. The tableside guacamole is worth it, even if you are dining alone. It was delicious, even the next day as a snack. The chile rellenos were the best I had in Santa Fe - lightly fried and still crunchy when served. I'd go back just to enjoy them again, though there are many more great sounding items on the menuSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/31/2014Great restaurant and reasonably priced. I had enchiladas and they were outstanding. Very accommodating service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef needs more trainingTheperfectbelleDined on 8/31/2014This is my second time at this restaurant, the first time everything was perfect! The food was amazing. I went back after about 6 months and my how things had changed. I ordered a similar dish - the filet mignon - however this time the filet was over-cooked. I asked for medium and it was burnt on the outside and nothing was pink in the middle. I returned it and the second one was much better but still a little over-cooked. By this point however my whole table had dinner and was waiting on me to finish so I just ate it to get out of there. My husband had the elk filet, and again the cook did not have any consistency in the preparation. He asked for medium rare and of the three filets - none met this requirement. We were so disappointed.
- Good hotel restaurantsterlisrVIPDined on 8/30/2014The restaurant was cute and the food was good. It wasn't exactly a spot for foodies, but definitely worked for us. The tableside guacamole was great.
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/28/2014We had the best time. Angel was able to make great recommendations of the food and wine, his knowledge was extensive. The rooms ambiance is beautiful with the amber chandler and tree lights. The food is outstanding, flavors of Northern New Mexico. The wine list is extensive with over 100 selections, great pricing too. We can't wait to return when we visit Santa Fe again. Thank you so much for the hospitality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service needs ImprovementDisappointedDined on 8/24/2014The service on this night was extremely bad. Took 10 minutes for waiter to finally take order. Didn't see him again for over 30 minutes. Had to go to reception with glass in hand to ask for a refill for my drink (soda). The guacamole or avocados were brown on the inside. When we asked the server about it, he simply stated this is how they came on that day and proceeded to make the salad (he wasn't eating it of course). The entrees were served about an hour from the time the order was placed. This is a popular restaurant but on this Sunday night they were not crowded and the quality of food and service was way poorer than when they are busy.
- Old Mexico on the PlazaFoodfor2Dined on 8/24/2014La Plazuela never disappoints. If one enjoys great food, excellent service and the feeling of dining in old Mexico, this restaurant is a must. We had the chile rellenos and cheese enchiladas, both cooked to perfection ( I am quite fussy about rellenos). They must be encased in a light, crispy batter - not soggy. These were some of the best I have ever had. The red chile was properly spicy with a good "after burn".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New favorite in Santa Fe!Localgal235Dined on 8/24/2014Reasonably priced. Friendly, knowledgable and attentive staff. Wonderful variety of meals for all palates. I'm a local here and will be back!!Special Features:
- Soutwest gourmetTiburonhombreDined on 8/23/2014Set in a classic Santa Fe hotel, the restaurant has an interesting mix of SW style favorites, standard fare and even wild game. Deep fried squash blossoms stuffed with chees are an exotic appetizer;Special Features:
- TimelessJJ34Dined on 8/23/2014La Fonda is a timeless classic in true Santa Fe fashion. Great atmosphere, great food, and great attentive service. Recommended for any time of day. One of the top tables in Santa Fe (and that's not easy to do.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Southwest fareTryonDined on 8/20/2014We had the fajitas for 2 and it was a lot of food. Great tasting especially the posole. Great food for a hotel restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful glocljc1Dined on 8/20/2014The gloc was perfect; they roast the garlic and peppers, and prepare it in front of you. That gives a person the chance to customize it. The hominy was also perfectSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/18/2014First off my review is too long to post here in detail. Our service was terrible and the food wasn't nothing to rave about or write home about. One small detail I will add with the given amount of space about the service is that when we declined dessert we were charged for a dessert. We will not be returning. And, I would not recommend this place to family or a friend.Special Features: