La Paz Restaurante + Cantina
1110 Metropolitan Ave Suite 130
Charlotte, NC 28204Neighborhood:
Mexican / SouthwesternPrice: $30 and under
La Paz Restaurante + Cantina
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.lapazcharlotte.com/
- Phone: 7043326322
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 5:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican / Southwestern, Mexican, Contemporary Mexican
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from La Paz Restaurante + Cantina
Welcome to the new home of La Paz. This 5,000 square foot restaurant offers the best of what Charlotte has to serve. From our large full service bar, family style booths, to our 80 person dinning room that can also be used from private events, La Paz can cater to any need! La Paz is Charlotte's oldest Mexican restaurant and treats it's guests to the highest quality of freshly prepared Mexican / Southwestern cuisine. Fresh Salsa and warm chips great you as you arrive. Table side gaucamole kicks off your dinner, and as you sit back and relax with a large hand made Margarita or a specialty cocktail, one of our signature main courses will fill you up and satisfy even the strongest of hungers! So bring your friends, family and an appetite and leave the rest to us!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
La Paz Restaurante + Cantina reviews from OpenTable diners
- Unexpectedly AwfulLadybirdDined on 7/13/2014Food was not good. Ordered guacamole and it was clearly something that came out of a plastic bag. Nothing seemed fresh or notable by any means! Huge disappointment!!
- The following 84 reviews are from the La Paz Restaurante + Cantina reviews archive.
- HappyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/12/2014Food, Margaritas and service all very satisfactory. Will dine here again.Special Features:
- disappointingspeedygonzalesDined on 4/18/2014We have been going to La Paz for many years, but it is not the same since the location has moved to Midtown. Food was not as good as it used to be, service was slow, even though restaurant was not crowded for a Friday night.
- foodiegirlVIPDined on 4/3/2014Fairly quality of food.....would be great to get more authentic menuSpecial Features:
- We made a reservation forOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/29/2014We made a reservation for 7:15 when we arrive we were seated. However we saw a waitress around 7:30 who brought us our water. She was very busy and the restsurant seemed understaffed for the two large parties that were in the adjacent room. She took our order at 7:40 and apologized for our wait. My food arrived at 8:30. By this time I was full on chips and salsa and boxed my dinner to take home. The food was just ok. I wish our hostesses had made us aware if the wait and given us the option of staying or leaving. This is my first time trying this restaurant and I chose it based on location. I will not done here again.Special Features:
- Avoid at all costsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/29/2014I guess when our family pulled up to valet and were told we would have to pay $10 for them to park a lapaz customer we should have left. Our server took our orders, brought us chips and then never came back for 40 minutes. when he did show up, he stated our food would be right out and wouldn't look at us and quickly left. At an hour, i went and talked to the hostess who seemed shocked we hadn't been served and i guess went to check on our food but we never saw her again (i noticed that other 2 groups of diners that came in behind us had already eaten). we left after trying to pay for our drinks with our server that i had to track down. he gave me an attitude and no apology. Awful family evening ruined. will NEVER eat there again.
- Not goodEAHDESIGNDined on 2/15/2014Found food to taste like it came out of the freezer. Yuck
- Just o.k.mroliveDined on 1/17/2014My first trip back to La Paz in a while. The service was good the food was not bad but just o.k. With so many options in Charlotte, I likely will choose others for a while.
- Disappointing experience all aroundpwebDined on 12/31/2013We chose LaPaz as our new years eve meal. . .wish we'd never gone there. The service was poor. . .we waited 10 to 15 for each drink we ordered. They tout their margaritas and for $10 you expect them to be stellar -- they were less than average and small in quantity. Food was mediocre and luke warm upon arrival. Waitress was impersonal, inattentive and capped off a less than adequate experience. Too bad because the location is prime for a fine offering. . .couldn't have been more disappointed. pweb
- Great for New Years EvePartyof2Dined on 12/31/2013The food took longer to get than most mexican restaurants and this is how you know it's fresh! Great food and experience! Can't complain about anything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time here and we reallyOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 12/18/2013First time here and we really enjoyed it. Lots of space - a group was having a holiday party in this huge open room. Great food, will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good tex mex foodExplorerVIPDined on 11/9/2013Excellent service with decent mexican food in a nice location near downtownSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerLovestoeatoutVIPDined on 10/12/2013Dined with friends and enjoyed our dinner as we always haveSpecial Features:
- Great Mexican FoodVann53Dined on 7/6/2013This was the best Mexican food we had ever had. Prices were great. Waiter was very attentive. Will be back again soon! Well worth the drive from Gastonia.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food bad serviceNeetsoDined on 5/11/2013First off the restaurant was so cold you couldn't enjoy your meal. The bartender was our waiter. He took the order and never came back until the end. Another person actually brought out our food. We ran out of drinks. There was only 5 people at the bar but he was too busy flirting to take care of the other tables. The table near ours was also complaining about the service. The food was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- La Paz DisappointsMommaMouseVIPDined on 4/27/2013La Paz overall was a very disappointing experience. The food is sub par. The service borderlined on awful. The restaurant wasn't even full and it took an unusually long time for our food let alone even to be waited on. Our server pretty much tossed our bill on the table. I wouldn't recommend La Paz at all. Much better Mexican restaurants in Charlotte than are more deserving of going to.
- A BIG Disappointment!FoodieDined on 4/12/2013I have been going to La Paz for 30 years. This is the 3rd location. What a huge disappointment.It is loud,noisy and a terrible atmosphere. The chips were soggy..like water had hit them. REALLY soggy. They serve margaritas in a water glass. Seriously, a mexican restaurant should have margarita glasses. Their logo and ads show margarita glasses. I'm sorry but I want ambiance as well as good food and good service. The service was just ok. We had a new server so I'll forgive him not being up to my standards. The fajitas were very good but only come with 3 shells. We ordered 3 more and still had food left. When the sun is going down it shines straight into your face in all most all of the booths. Overall a big disappointment. Won't be backSpecial Features:
- Having been to LaPaz all theLSW77Dined on 4/7/2013Having been to LaPaz all the way back to its earlier days in Charlotte, and to it through its transition on South Blvd., I was intrigued to go in its new incarnation. Sadly, it was a complete disappointment. The food has become very average, not even measuring up to the standards set by most other "Tex-Mex" operations in Charlotte, and even below some of those that are known well. The service was very average, as well, with wait time before serving bordering on "too long." Our experience was so average, we will not be returning. There are just too many better choices that can be made, especially considering that the prices are on the high side, probably due to its location in the Metropolitan complex.
- Awesome Food but Awful ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/23/2013Food was really good. However, the service was pathetic. Open Table did show us that a table was available @8:30 PM. When we reached there on time, we were asked to wait. The expected wait time was 15-20 Mins. The Maitre d' did not pay any attention while we were waiting. She seemed less functional in her work. This overall killed the experience.
- Nothing specialRealfoodloverVIPDined on 3/23/2013Very disappointed in the overall experience. Have been to La Paz at previous locations and loved it. This visit left us feeling underwhelmed. The food was nothing special and lacked flavor. The service was not attentive and our server didn't even check back on us for drink refills. Not planning a return visit.
- Great Food, Not so Great Service.OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/22/2013I really enjoyed La Paz. Their food is very good, but both times I have been there the services is poor to fair. The servers do not pay much attention. There needs to be more servers in the bar area because the bartender was extremely occupied with the bar area, and we barely saw him. The queso dip was great both times and had the perfect amount of spice. The quesidillas and enchiladas and tacos are delicious as well. I really enjoyed the food and would go back there, but when I have plenty of time to dine. Also, the drinks are really good, including their Mojito and Margarita.Special Features:
- If one had been to the originalDiningaroundVIPDined on 3/21/2013If one had been to the original La Paz in Myers park...it's hard to compare as nothing seems to compare with the original and I tend to compare. I miss the delicious Green sauce and incredible bean dip at the original....but, yes, I know it is no longer here (sigh) and I muct move on! The new location at Metropolitan is sleek and nicely designed. The service was good and prompt although we are pretty sure that he was new. Salsa and chops were good, the guacamole particularly nice and salads very good. We dined on the apps and main course salads on this trip and value was good. A number of marguarita options....everyone at our table was pleased. Good experience...it just has a hard time time measuring up to the old La Paz for us oldtimers.Special Features:
- Food was consistently goodLuv2eatoutDined on 2/15/2013Food was consistently good and service was excellent... Would definitely recommend..Special Features:
- Great MexicanOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2013Great meal, good service, great value for the quality and quantity of food. Look forward to visiting again!Special Features:
- Our evening and meal wouldrickVIPDined on 2/8/2013Our evening and meal would have been terrific except we were seated at a semi-circular table which faced an over flowing garbage can about 3 feet from our table. I could see you using this table for a walk-in diner's last choice...but we had reservations and very surprised we were given such a table. There were no other tables available. How could anyone really enjoy a meal while facing garbage and cash registers? Perhaps you should consider removing this table. I'm not sure we will return even though our waitress was very good and fajitas tasty.
- Thumbs up!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 11/28/2012Our food was excellent and our server was wonderful.Special Features:
- Food did not seem fresh, chimichangOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/17/2012Food did not seem fresh, chimichanga was soggy not crisp.. fajitas were not sizzling house margarita had a teaspoon of tequila....
- Poor service. Don't bother.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/10/2012Service was terrible. It took at least 10-15 min to get a glass of water. Appetizer (just a bowl of soup) took forever (I even had to ask if it was coming). Order was entered wrong (although readily corrected). Margaritas had little alcohol in them, yet pricey. Won't go back.
- The restaurant was only halfAdventureCatVIPDined on 11/9/2012The restaurant was only half full. The waitress kept tellin us the bar was backed up and then the kitchen was backed up. One person in our party didnt get served food until 20 minutes after our table (and we were done eating). I asked to see the manager three times and finally caught him on the way out. He told me they were short staffed and didnt seem to care that we had had a bad experience. This is a prime location and in the past has been very good. Nonetheless I will not make another reservatiom there because of this poor experience. I'm sad for them and hope they can get things together.
- Thumbs up!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/12/2012The food is always very good at La Paz. Our waiter was excellent!Special Features:
- Still fabulous.OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/28/2012We've been eating at La Paz since it was on Providence. This location is great ... food is still delicious, fast and reasonably priced. The service is outstanding. We ate outside on a beautiful night and got to listen to the live music coming from the stage at the Metropolitan development. Definitely recommend!Special Features:
- I was a little disappointed.ElsenorVIPDined on 7/30/2012I was a little disappointed. I guess my expectations were too high. The food was ok, but not great Mexican. Portion sizes are huge. Excellent, friendly service.Special Features:
- Food was ok, but do NOT getMDFoodieinNCVIPDined on 7/14/2012Food was ok, but do NOT get the mojitos. It was like someone shredded mint and it tasted so awful we had to send it back. Nice outdoor seating though.Special Features:
- We go to La Paz a lot butOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/12/2012We go to La Paz a lot but we may not go back for a while. The food quality is going down hill although it is still decent its not as good as it used to be. Hopefully they get it turned around because when they are good the food is great.
- La Paz has always been a greatKarenVIPDined on 6/29/2012La Paz has always been a great Restaurant and it didn't disappoint in its newlocaiinl our server was attentive and the food was delicious.Special Features:
- The chicken tacos had no flavorOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/23/2012The chicken tacos had no flavor and the guacomole was horrible. Shrimp fajitas were decent.
- Food was fabulous--the spinachCLTattyDined on 6/22/2012Food was fabulous--the spinach con queso was outstanding. The house margarita left something to be desired--I'd recommend getting a little bit higher end marg if you want a good one.Special Features:
- Food was fine, but not great.Jcl4boysDined on 6/16/2012Food was fine, but not great. Out of hot sauce and a few of the beers listed. There are enough other good restaurants around that we probably won't go back.Special Features:
- Avoid!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/12/2012I always thought it was difficult to mess up Mexican food.....I was wrong! This place is just flat out not good. The food is bad, the service is bad, the space is bad. Just not a good experience at all. I thought it might be an off night but have been there three times and it is consistently bad.
- We were very disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/12/2012We were very disappointed with our La Paz experience. The decor is nice and the drinks were good but the food and service were horrible. We had a reservation, but were told to wait and saw walk-ins seated before our group (of 4). When we were finally seated 20 minutes after our reservation time there were numerous open tables...very confusing. We were placed at a booth next to a prep station, so I am not sure why we waited for an inferior table. The steak was like shoe leather, the shrimp mushy. We will not be back. Our fond memories of the old La Paz will never be repeated.