4921 Cordell Avenue
Bethesda, MD 20814Neighborhood:
Bethesda / Chevy Chase
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.lapanetteria.com/
- Phone: (301) 951-6433
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 2:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 2:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 3:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: La Panetteria feature beautiful settings for private parties, events and gatherings for groups of 25-35, 35-42 and 45-65. We offer group menus to fit any budget. We personalize the menu for your function. There are no pre selections and the guests pick the main course from the personalized menu. Rehearsal dinners are our specialty.
- Private Party Contact: Harry Khayami 3019516433
A word from La Panetteria
La Panetteria has been a Bethesda Landmark for more than 35 years. It has won accolades from food critics and many loyal customers for its superb menu and impeccable service. Cozy, old-fashioned Italian restaurant, serves both northern and southern Italian specialties, with homemade pasta, fresh seafood, veal and chicken dishes and best white pizza in the area. The restaurant invites diners in with a tree shaded street front awning, and an Old Italy atmosphere enhanced by a sunlit indoor atrium with graceful hanging baskets and period paintings on white washed stucco walls. The ceramic tile floor and white tablecloth complete the ambience of a true trattoria. The menu is extensive and features a wide variety of classic Italian dishes, plus daily specials like risottos, veal shank, seafood lasagna, rolattini and Zuppa. If you have a favorite Italian dish you will find it on the menu. La Panetteria means ‘the bakery’ in Italian and all the bread is baked fresh daily.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
La Panetteria - Best Restaurants in Bethesda / Chevy Chase ›
La Panetteria reviews from OpenTable diners
48 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (34)romantic (15)special occasion (14)good for groups (13)fit for foodies (11)great for lunch (9)kid-friendly (5)notable wine list (5)great for outdoor dining (1)great for brunch (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- We always have a wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/8/2010We always have a wonderful time at La Panetteria. The staff are friendly and efficient. The food is delicious. We go there for a quiet dinner sometimes; with friends; and have held larger events there as well (up to 80 people). The owners are most accommodating and gracious.Special Features:
- On a rainy Sunday eveningThadVIPDined on 10/3/2010On a rainy Sunday evening we had no problems getting seated even though we arrived almost an hour early. The staff was all very friendly and efficient. Our table was small for four but the wait staff was very prompt in removing unneeded dishes. The trout and three veal dishes were absolutely excellent and priced very fairly. The service was good and we all enjoyed olurselved thoroughly. This is a "keeper."Special Features:
- La Panatteria was lovely.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/3/2010La Panatteria was lovely. An extensive menu, and everything we had off of it was good, except the veal chop. For some reason, the veal chop was difficult t ocut, full of gristle. At the very first complaint, the wiater took it away, asking what the diner preferred to order - no questions, no issues. If the restaurant has a flaw its that the wine list is kind of limited. We wil lgo back again.Special Features:
- Delicious food, attentiveOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/2/2010Delicious food, attentive waitress, cozy atmosphere. Tiramasu was the BEST I have had anywhere. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- The restaurant doesn't comeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/25/2010The restaurant doesn't come across as being crowded according to other reviews. However, we felt like we were crammed into a table with other people jammed in right next to us. If you like your personal space or are uncomfortable in closely packed areas, this restaurant may not be the best for you. The food was good although the service was somewhat slow and the waiter was surly. Maybe he had a bad night so we won't mark them down for that.Special Features:
- outstanding food & great value.yumyumVIPDined on 9/25/2010outstanding food & great value. we had the 2 for $45 3-course special menu - choice of appetizer, soup or salad, entree & dessert. all very delicious & full-size portions. Appetizer of white pizza was a whole personal size pie, thin crust. Ossobuco was devine.Special Features:
- Great, reasonably priced ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/18/2010Great, reasonably priced Italian restaurant! I prefer this restaurant over the other handful of Italian restaurants on Cordell. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Food was great - veal andOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/17/2010Food was great - veal and fish dishes. Service was hyper-attentive.Special Features:
- The food was excellent forOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/14/2010The food was excellent for the price. The wait staff was outstanding! Would recommend for anyone for almost any occasion.Special Features:
- Food and service was amazing.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/11/2010Food and service was amazing. Parmesan cheese and homemade pasta was delicious. Thanks!!Special Features:
- Great find in downtown BethesdaOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/11/2010Great find in downtown Bethesda and reasonable. Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- A decent neighborhood restaurant.manfrommdVIPDined on 9/4/2010A decent neighborhood restaurant. Nothing spectacular, but not disappointing either.Special Features:
- Two of the party of threeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/4/2010Two of the party of three ordered a lobster and crab pasta dish and could only taste "tomato and cheese." However, my lamb shanks were very good. We did mention the fact to the waiter who said he had not had any other comments. However, he did bring us dessert "on the house" immediately. My recommendation, always return the food if it is not up to your expectations after "one" bite. No restaurant will ever refuse to replace a meal if the complaint is handled nicely.
- LaPanetteria offers a fineJJMDVIPDined on 9/3/2010LaPanetteria offers a fine selection of Italian foods, which are good, but not great. The salad seemed like something I would buy at Safeway as opposed to a resaurant. The prices are great for the meals you get. I enjoyed the lasagna while my friend enjoyed the lobster and pasta. If you're looking for a good place for lunch in the area, this is a good spot.Special Features:
- Nice restaurant in the neighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/1/2010Nice restaurant in the neighborhood - good pizza and pasta at resonable prices. House wine (chianti) was good for pizza. Extremely good service, friendly and attentive. Was on short notice and we were happy to find this restaurant. Recommended.Special Features:
- The food was disappointinglyOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/28/2010The food was disappointingly awful, very salty, and uninspired. Not at all like we remember it from 2 years ago.
- The food was really good.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/22/2010The food was really good. The risotto (vegetarian menu option) is highly recommended. So is the 3-colored-penne pasta. The sauces were really good too. The bread served as complimentary at the beginning was really different and good. However the restaurant can do more to accommodate more vegetarian options. After all melanzane/ eggplant which appears in 3 of the 4 veg options isn't the only vegetable! Also the sauces were really nice but some people (like me) like the sauce to have a little bit of spice-kick. It will help if the diner can request the server to make the sauce with a spicy range of mild/medium/spicy. Overall- a great dining experience with the food-ambiance-service. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Good food and wine at reasonableJeffKDined on 8/22/2010Good food and wine at reasonable prices. A solid Italian bistro with excellent service. Italian wines are good and inexpensive.
- I had a great time, the waitersOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/22/2010I had a great time, the waiters are so kind and the food was fabulous. A large choice too. And the restaurant's decorations are superbe, I loved the the paintings and overall atmosphere.Special Features:
- La Panetteria was great. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/21/2010La Panetteria was great. The food was delicious and the service was very good. I had a large group and had 2 extra people and they still figured out a way to accomodate everyone. The wait staff was always present and attentive to your needs. I definitely will visit this restaurant again.Special Features:
- Gnocchi did not taste homemade.jjdrestonDined on 8/15/2010Gnocchi did not taste homemade. A friend ordered cannalone and was very disappointed. Hardly touched her dish. Bread not at all good. Not typical Italian bread - crusty on the outside/tender inside. Waitress kept bumping into my husband's chair each time she passed even though there was nobody opposite our table and the restaurant was almost empty.
- Excellent food, great service!BetsyVIPDined on 7/30/2010Excellent food, great service! Will definately come back.Special Features:
- An evening with out of townOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/29/2010An evening with out of town guests,everyone enjoyed the food and especially the service. We had the pleasure of a most delightful waiter, William.Special Features:
- The food was OK but nothingNicknameVIPDined on 7/28/2010The food was OK but nothing special. The tomato sauce tasted canned. The spinach & cheese stuffing (for eggplant) had far too little spinach, at least for my taste. There are better Italian restaurants in Bethesda.
- The food was excellent andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/24/2010The food was excellent and we enjoyed the atmosphere.
- A very pleasant experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/18/2010A very pleasant experience. We had mentioned that it was a birthday celebration for both of us; that did not elicit any action from the staff, which was okay. They may have been a bit over-busy that evening, but it was just as we expected it to be,good food, good ambiance.Special Features:
- Solid place. Everything isOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/16/2010Solid place. Everything is good. Nothing extraordinary. Nice place to go for a good place without any bells and whistles.
- La Panetteria is quant andOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/15/2010La Panetteria is quant and cozy. The food was really good and traditional italian. With bread and salad inlcluded with ever meal it was a great value. Seating location is important! While the covered ally is cozy it can get quiet toasty there - so bad we moved. The service was responsive and no complaints.Special Features:
- Excellent service...greatBDTJrVIPDined on 7/14/2010Excellent service...great pasta and the veal was excellent, too.
- stylish, well served, goodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/9/2010stylish, well served, good food, not too pricey (for the Bethesda area). Overall a good dining experience.Special Features:
- We went to La Panetteria asOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/7/2010We went to La Panetteria as a large group of 20. They were so terrific, especially our server. They gave us separate checks and let us order right off the menu. Our food was served quickly and at the right temperature (nothing was cold and yet they served all 20 dishes at the same time). Everyone commented on how wonderful the food was too. The restaurant is very pretty inside and quite unique. I recommend this restaurant for small or large groups. Great exerience!Special Features:
- We have eaten here many timesOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/23/2010We have eaten here many times and have never been dissapointed with the food or the service.Special Features:
- An old style Italian-AmericanOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 6/18/2010An old style Italian-American restaurant with some very well executed dishes, friendly and efficient service and a nice atmosphere. Old stile in this case is not to be scoffed at, but rather La Panetteria should be applauded for doing what it does very well.
- I took my fiance here forOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/2/2010I took my fiance here for his birthday and it was a great choice. The food was delicious and the service was great! We will return in the future.Special Features:
- we arrived at 9 and they wereOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/31/2010we arrived at 9 and they were closing at 10 because it was a slow night. we asked if we would be rushed, because we would like to take our time, and the response was "we want to get out of here too". we decided to stay anyways. the rest of the time we were being rushed through our meal, which was nothing special, and soon couldn't wait to leave. i would not recommend this place.
- Excellent food and service!mikideezDined on 5/29/2010Excellent food and service! Much better Than what I expected. The bread is fabulous!Special Features:
- We love La Panetteria. ItOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/29/2010We love La Panetteria. It provides very good Italian food of consistent quality, and there is something for everyone on the menu. We love to go there for special occasions (anniversary, birthday) or when out-of-town guests are visiting--- they always seem happy with the choice. The service is excellent with wonderful attention.Special Features: