4921 Cordell Avenue
Bethesda, MD 20814Neighborhood:
Bethesda / Chevy Chase
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.lapanetteria.com/
- Phone: 3019516433
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 2:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 2:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 3:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: La Panetteria feature beautiful settings for private parties, events and gatherings for groups of 25-35, 35-42 and 45-65. We offer group menus to fit any budget. We personalize the menu for your function. There are no pre selections and the guests pick the main course from the personalized menu. Rehearsal dinners are our specialty.
- Private Party Contact: Harry Khayami 3019516433
A word from La Panetteria
La Panetteria has been a Bethesda Landmark for more than 35 years. It has won accolades from food critics and many loyal customers for its superb menu and impeccable service. Cozy, old-fashioned Italian restaurant, serves both northern and southern Italian specialties, with homemade pasta, fresh seafood, veal and chicken dishes and best white pizza in the area. The restaurant invites diners in with a tree shaded street front awning, and an Old Italy atmosphere enhanced by a sunlit indoor atrium with graceful hanging baskets and period paintings on white washed stucco walls. The ceramic tile floor and white tablecloth complete the ambience of a true trattoria. The menu is extensive and features a wide variety of classic Italian dishes, plus daily specials like risottos, veal shank, seafood lasagna, rolattini and Zuppa. If you have a favorite Italian dish you will find it on the menu. La Panetteria means ‘the bakery’ in Italian and all the bread is baked fresh daily.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
La Panetteria reviews from OpenTable diners
34 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelQuiet
neighborhood gem (20)romantic (9)great for lunch (6)special occasion (6)notable wine list (5)kid-friendly (4)good for groups (4)fit for foodies (3)late-night find (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Quality food and service!Jlk0605VIPDined on 8/22/2014It was my friend and I's first time dining here. Not only were we immediately seated upon arrival, but our server(s) were superb in service. We started with 2 appetizers: white wine mussels and calamari, followed by the vegetable pizza & pasta (can't recall the name). I had specifically asked for light cheese and extra sauce on my pizza, which did not exactly come out the way I'd wanted (more cheese vs sauce), but this was immediately fixed: server was able to accompany a side of marinara sauce. What I enjoyed the most about our dining experience was 1. It was quiet enough where my friend and I could hold a conversation, and 2. The timing of our meals was perfect from appetizer to main course, so we'd have time to somewhat digest in btwn.Special Features:
- Because . . . ravioli enduresPigsFlyDined on 8/22/2014This is not a new, multi-million dollar celebrity chef outlet nor is it a hipster place funded by crowdsourcing. It's a little neighborhood restaurant that's been around for decades, a fixture on the side street on which it is situated (look for the bright green awning), and it serves satisfying, simple, Italian fare. It has its regular patrons, some of whom have been dining there for more than 20 years. La Panetteria was local before there was local. While everyone bulldozes Bethesda, it endures, nourishes, satisfies, and pleases.Special Features:
- 2nd time disappoinmentPB08Dined on 8/18/2014The salad was a chopped lettuce salad that could have come out of a bag. The dressing might have come from a bottle. The grilled calamari wa underdone and cold when it arrived. The spinach and white beans were also cold but good. The shrimp diablo was cooked well but my lignuinin and white clam sause came out with spagetti This was our second time - first was very good - this was a total disappointment. Doubt we will go back
- OnVacationDined on 8/16/2014A real "neighborhood" restaurant. Good Italian cooking, great service. Comfortable place for both couples and families.Special Features:
- FantasticEasyDined on 7/19/2014Everything about the place was stand out. The service was remarkable. The food was marvellous. The ambience was authentic. What more could you ask for?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SamOVIPDined on 6/21/2014Loved the greenhouse eating area - bright without being exposed. Had the fried mozz, which was good, and the linguine with mushrooms and shrimp, which was also good. Bread was fresh, and red sauce was definitely good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Solid AverageGlobetrotter1VIPDined on 6/19/2014Nothing special, but nothing particularly wrong. One oddity, though -- the special Maryland crab soup was loaded with . . . wait for it . . . clams! Now THAT was a surprise! And it wasn't the usual Maryland red broth with vegetables version, either -- more like a milky New England clam chowder. Well, it was loaded with clams, though! Decent typical Italian fare otherwise -- a solid average. More than ample portion sizes. Prices are reasonable, and unlike too many restaurants today, it is fairly quiet and diners can have decent conversations without having to shout to be heard.
- Tasty, basic Italianbigoz13Dined on 6/12/2014Had the Alfredo with chicken. Tasty, simple. Red pepper salad dressing is very good. Finished with tiramisu, which was good. Quiet.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A neighborhood favoriteRonaVIPDined on 6/11/2014Panetteria has been at the same location and serving tasty Northern Italian cuisine for over 30 years. The service is attentive; the atmosphere is pleasant; the prices are very reasonable, and the food is prepared well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Food at Reasonable PricesBigAlDined on 5/24/2014Food is excellent and the entree price includes a salad. Best value in Bethesda for a wonderful dinner.Special Features:
- The following 374 reviews are from the La Panetteria reviews archive.
- foodycriticfoodycriticDined on 5/23/2014The food was excellent, the atmosphere fun & lively!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Graduation DinnerDeenaVIPDined on 5/22/2014We celebrated our daughter's graduation from the University of Maryland here. The staff was extremely accommodating and held out table while we were running late and trying to escape the traffic congestion from College Park. Food was wonderful-I had the Chilean Sea Bass Special, others in our party had trout, mussels, fruitti de mer and veal saltimbocca. Lovely place to celebrate!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As always up to parPhilVIPDined on 5/17/2014Every return to this Bethesda restaurant staple continues to be very special. Arrived a bit early but reservation was honored. Matre'D and waitstaff very friendly and attentive. Food as always was prepared and presented expertly. I had a veal-chicken dish with mozzarella and spinach stuffing. Ordered extra vegetables in lieu of pasta, and they were prepared very nicely. Never hesitate to meet friends here- constantly great food.Special Features:
- JudyVIPDined on 5/11/2014I confess to be biased since my husband and I have been regulars at Panetteria for years celebrating almost all of our special occasions there. They were surprisingly very busy at 7:30 pm on Mother's Day so we had to wait a little longer for our dinners though our waitress, Joyce, acquitted herself well. As usual, our food was well cooked - the salad dressing as usual zesty and tasty, my grilled calamari not tough (a hard thing to do with calamari and a reason I never attempt to cook it at home), and our accompanying pasta garlicky as ordered. Our dessert of chocolate mousse cake smooth and moist with a nice dark chocolate taste. They handed out roses to all women customers which was a sweet touch.Special Features:
- reliable restaurantDebbieDined on 5/11/2014Have been going to this restaurant for years. The food is always good, the restaurant was packed for Mother's Day so service was a bit slow. The whole family enjoys this place.Special Features:
- The owner made the experience badYennipr01Dined on 5/11/2014He did not have my reservation. I showed him the email confirmation but he continued to deny. He finally sat us as a favor to us. He asked every women if she was a mom & would hand her a rose with the exception of my mom, my mother in law & myself. Food came out 1 1/2 later. We paid a lot for the dinner and I didn't feel the overall experience deserved that much money.Special Features:
- great for a graduation celebrationkshrewsburyDined on 5/9/2014we had a wonderful graduation dinner at La Panetteria. Food and service and ambiance were perfect.Special Features:
- Pre-theater DinnerFoodie4allDined on 4/19/2014My dad and I had tickets to a play at the Round House Theater and wanted to go to dinner beforehand. I checked Open Table and was able to make a reservation that would still give us enough time to eat and enjoy our dinner without feeling rushed. The food was delicious but what stood out more was the outstanding service we had that night. Looking forward to returning soon...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingKeithVIPDined on 4/6/2014Excellent food and service. The veal chop and risotto were exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great conversationkristirueDined on 3/19/2014Service was attentive but not intrusive; friendly. If you want to actually talk with your dining companions, La Panetteria is top notch. Great spot for actually holding conversations. No raised voices/shouting necessary.Special Features:
- DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/15/2014Lots of great write ups on Open Table, but the food did not measure up. The pastas were great, but the salads and fish were just ok. A bit run down inside, but fine for a simple meal. Not pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great and OKDaughterVIPDined on 3/9/2014Went with my husband and his daughter to celebrate his birthday. I had a special of lamb shank on risotto that was fabulous. THe bread was warm and had a spongy texture. Olive oil for dipping was quite good. They had spaghetti with sausage that was quite disappointing. They both like the sausage, but the sauce was very plain and boring and not even up to par with Classico from a jar. An Italian restaurant should be able to do better. Desserts were fabulous. The cannolli was top rate. We would go back but just not have the pomodoro sauce.Special Features:
- Superub EveningBigAlDined on 3/7/2014Fine dining experience. Service was attentive and the food was terrific. A fine time was had by all members of the party.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable eveningSandyVIPDined on 3/4/2014Five of us celebrated a birthday at this wonderful Italian restaurant. The food was delicious, the service was excellent and we all enjoyed ourselves thoroughly at this long-time established, neighborhood spot. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerJBworldtravelDined on 3/1/2014We had a dinner for 10 people and we enjoyed our meal, the table was excellent for 10, the food came out together, and everyone enjoyed their meal. Not an easy feat for 10! Many in our party mentioned they would return again. Thanks for a nice night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dependendable Great FoodDCMaid1Dined on 2/16/2014I love to go there or even take out as everything is tasty, great and friendly service, very dependable. A go-to place.
- Maybe it was all the calorieJudyVIPDined on 2/14/2014Maybe it was all the calorie burning snow shoveling I did on Valentines Day which made me extra hungry, but I and my husband had one of the best restaurant meals in recent memory at La Panetteria and great service in the person of Jessica, our waitress. The bruschetta amuse bouche appetizer was delicious, but I was blown away by how excellent my veal osso buco was. Tremendous wine flavor and the meat perfectly braised. My husband had the trout which he always orders there (we're regulars). And we found the chocolate mousse cake which we've ordered before to be delicious as usual. There's a reason we're regulars and often wonder why La Panetteria isn't reviewed more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood Italian RestaurantHarrySDined on 2/14/2014Very nice, long term family owned business. Classic Italian food, broad menu, very tasty. Service attentive and friendly. Good value for Bethesda. They can handle special occasions for larger groups with advance notice, but no separate dining room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Finally a good Italian restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2014I am from New Jersey, and it is hard to find good Italian food in and around DC. But La Panetteria blew me and my wife away. Truly excellent cuisine. The service was also impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's A Mystery...CRAMDDined on 1/31/2014The restaurant was all but empty at 9:00 p.m. on a Friday night--perhaps it's because there isn't much to recommend it. The place looks rundown. The tables are too small and too close together. The waitress seemed to have a limited command of English. The food was average. With all the restaurants in Bethesda, I wonder how La Panetteria stays in business. I'm sure you can find someplace better.
- wonderfultheresabarDined on 1/25/2014I've been going to La Panetteria for many years! Great food, nice atmosphere and good service. Some of the best food in town. Try the lamb shank if it's on the specials! It's great!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- we have dined here for overeatoutqueenVIPDined on 1/24/2014we have dined here for over ten years and it has been consistently excellent in every areaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Italian RestaurantRichDined on 1/17/2014Good service, nice selection of Italian wines, good food - had the mussels in wine, linguini with mushrooms, good desserts and cappuccino.Special Features:
- La PanetteriaPiperDined on 1/15/2014Great little neighborhood restaurant with nice service, good food, and an easy place to have conversations. Would recommend for an easy casual or a romantic dinner. Feels very Italian and welcoming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Monday half-price wine nightsMojoworkinVIPDined on 1/13/2014Monday half-price wine nights are a deal and the food is understated but consistent. The staff are polite and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bellamurphyx6Dined on 1/4/2014This was our third time dining at La Panetteria. There were 7 of us and we were seated in the back and practically had the room to ourselves. It was a great way to celebrate my birthday. Once again the food was excellent. We all ordered something different and it was all delicious. No one walked away hungry. As a matter of fact we didn't even have room for dessert. Our waitress suggested the combo appetizer platter and it was a smashing hit. Highly recommend that for a big group. Already looking forward to returning again next year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eating at PanetteriaFatherDined on 1/4/2014This has got to be the best Italian restaurant in the Northern suburbs. The carbonara is the best outside of Italy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT FIND!!!Hardknocklife7Dined on 12/31/2013I recently ate at the restaurant with my girlfriend. The food was good and the service was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you have never been - youcearlyDined on 12/31/2013If you have never been - you are missing out. Best pasta / wine / service in the D.M.V. ... hands down. Make sure to leave room for dessert & house-made limon-cello!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great way to start 2014!GoodFunDined on 12/31/2013Our group of eight friends dined at La Panetteria on New Year's Eve and, as usual, everything was excellent. We were welcomed graciously, our table was ready when we arrived, dinner and service were terrific, and we were wished well for the New Year by the friendly and gracious management. What more could one ask? Last year we were a party of 11, the year before a party of six. Each time we had an outstanding time and great experience. We plan to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.