77 St. Mark's Place
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.lapalapa.com/
- Phone: 2127772537x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 5:00pm; Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 12:00am; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 5:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Traditional Mexican, Regional Mexican, Mexican
- Executive Chef: Barbara Sibley
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch
- Catering: La Palapa combines authentic Mexican home cooking with a festive party and friendly atmosphere which makes for the perfect place to celebrate any occasion. Already have a location? Perfect let us cater it for you! We have extensive catering experience and can cater any special event large or small! We will work with you to customize a menu that you will be thrilled with! A sit down dinner for six, a make your own taco bar, appetizers for a birthday party, no problem! Please email us at email@example.com with any questions or check out www.lapalapa.com for more information.
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining is available for up to 30 guests in our back room. We also cater large parties from 10 to 1000 at La Palapa or in your own venue.
- Private Party Contact: Judy Maeda 2127772537x
- Entertainment: Buena Musica, Buena Comida, Buenas Bebidas y Gente Muy Amistosa!
- Special Events: Cinco de Mayo Special Menu ~ Seasonal specialties
- Cross Street: Between 1st and 2nd Avenues
- Public Transit: 6 train to Astor Place, R train to 8th Street/NYU, F train to 2nd Avenue, and L train to 14th Street.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Street Parking with Meters. There is a garage on East 9th Street, between 1st and 2nd Avenues.
A word from La Palapa
La Palapa combines authentic Mexican home cooking with a festive bar and a warm and friendly atmosphere which makes for the perfect place to dine or celebrate any occasion! We specialize in "Mexico City style" tacos and quesadillas and regional home cooking. Our menu includes such dishes as Tacos al Pastor, Mole Negro Oaxaqueno, Salsa Pibil and many other specialties from different regions of Mexico. Our Margaritas are all made with fresh juices and are delicious, especially when you add house made hibiscus aqua fresca and a chile-piquin salted rim! We have many flavors from the traditional fresh lime to mango, blood-orange, ginger, tamarind, wild blueberry and more! Refreshing Mexican beer cocktails, such as the Michelada and the Chelada are even given special attention at La Palapa. We also have an extensive tequila selection, cocktail and beer menu. La Palapa is available for catering on or off premise. We specialize in creating menus for private parties and events.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
La Palapa reviews from OpenTable diners
48 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (28)good for groups (22)fit for foodies (15)great for outdoor dining (15)great for brunch (14)great for lunch (13)romantic (10)vibrant bar scene (9)kid-friendly (8)hot spot (7)late-night find (6)special occasion (5)scenic view (1)Show More
- This is the real stuffJrayDined on 9/6/2014Superb! It couldn't have been better! He enchiladas de pollo verses was AMAZING!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So great, always!JjayDined on 8/29/2014I really love coming here. Service is always great and the food is wonderful. Love it here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MolesdridrVIPDined on 8/24/2014Meal here was most enjoyable. The mains were all well prepared. Mole sauces were excellent. Fish tacos also well prepared. The house guacamole was unremarkable and for the price should have been prepared tableside. It tasted like a premade guac that was doctored up a little bit. Nopale salad was OK - would have benefitted from more nopales. Overall food here was very well prepared and tasty and the atmosphere is very pleasantSpecial Features:
- Good East Village Mexican CafeHungryTenorDined on 8/16/2014Took my daughter for her birthday as she described it as one of her favorite Mexican restaurant in the city. Brunch was still be served at 4pm though there were an assortment of other menu items as well. The food was good (not spectacular) and the service was friendly and attentive. We got complimentary champagne for the birthday celebration.Special Features:
- Go for the Ambience.jmkatzDined on 8/13/2014The food and ambience was fine, but the service was super slow. We also ordered a soup (for two) as an appetizer and thought it made sense to just bring one bowl. Thought that was worth pointing out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mexico City MexicanmconVIPDined on 7/30/2014La Palapa delivers what it promises: real Mexico City Mexican food. I know because I lived there and there is certainly not a better place in New York to have authentic Mexican food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome brunchmmooDined on 7/26/2014I went with a group of 8 for brunch and we had a great time. Massive brunch menu and really reasonable prices.Special Features:
- A Mexican winnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/22/2014Delicious, authentic Mexican food; tasty margaritas; comfortable, yet fun atmosphere; attentive serviceSpecial Features:
- You could be in Mexico City!NYCGourmandVIPDined on 7/19/2014La Palapa does what it does very well and doesn't miss a trick. They do not try to fleece their customers on anything: strong drinks, ample portions, a festive setting, and really authentic Mexican cooking comes out of the kitchen not microwaved Tex-Mex TV dinner-style Mexican but the real thing. We noticed more groups of 5 or more but couples were well taken care of and there's a party room/large group setting in the back so they're ready for anything. Open air entrance with tables half-in, half-out is a very nice touch on good weather days. The ingredients used are always fresh and every dish has something to recommend it whether you go with chicken, pork or steak.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/3/2014Wanted a spot close to Orpheum Theatre, since we were going to STOMP! This was our first night in NYC and first meal of our family vacation. It was delicious. We had appetizers and dinner platters -- we loved everything. The guacamole was great, as was the queso. The enchiladas were yummy and my son loved his tacos. Hubby had the lamb with mole and bragged about it all night. Highly recommend the dining experience in a small local place -- right around the corner from STOMP!Special Features:
- Small PortionsRickyDined on 7/3/2014Portions not big enough for the price. Ordered the "Barbacoa" plate and all I got was a big none with little tiny meat around. They truly cheaped out on a $25 dish. Go figure.Special Features:
- Overall okFontaDined on 6/27/2014The food was okay, nothing special, presented very well, but not that different from many mexican places. The place was noisy as hell, impossible to even talk with all the girls yelling from big groups of people. The service was great, and also very friendly. Too bad because for the high price, those dishes weren't so sophisticated or incredibly delicious. Overall okay, but way to expensive for being a "group place" in my opinion..Special Features:
- FantasticEastvillagegirlDined on 6/26/2014Already recommended this place to a friend! We had to try everything since we couldn't decide!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sangria!nolactosenomeatDined on 5/31/2014We sat outside in some okay seating which was loud. I was told the comfy outdoor seating was reserved (but i made a reservation!). Food was fine, we didn't order anything too difficulty.. we both just got salads. However i loved the sangria: a plentiful mini pitcher for one did the trick and my friend enjoyed their frozen margaritas. Would have appreciated some chips for starters but oh well.Special Features:
- Adequate small platesRishiDined on 5/24/2014Went here with my family for some small plates and a drink midafternoon on a Saturday. Wasnt crowded at all, and the food was pretty good. I'd say pretty standard for an East Village Mexican spot.Special Features:
- The following 255 reviews are from the La Palapa reviews archive.
- Great food and ambiencehernaldo16Dined on 5/14/2014Came to La Palapa with a small group for a friend's birthday dinner and was thoroughly pleased. We were running a little late and the manager was very understanding. Our table was ready and we were quickly greeted by our server who went over the specials. I had read about the margaritas and we ordered a pitcher. They live up to the hype! As for the food, we were all craving chimichangas, which they don't have but were very pleased by the tasty enchiladas. I had the skirt steak enchilada and it was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place for a biteSoyYummyVIPDined on 5/10/2014We shared guacamole and some appetizers. They were very good and we enjoyed our time. Would go back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting Happy Hour PolicyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/7/2014Went there the other day because they have a happy hour until 7. We booked a table and planned to get a drink and split an appetizer. However, when we arrived we discovered a sign that said happy hour was only at the bar. We sat anyways and our waiter immediately came over. We inquired if we could buy a drink at the bar and sit down and he said that wasnt allowed - you must be sitting at the bar to get the happy hour price (half off drinks). Ok? I could see the rule if your restaurant was packed and you had a huge bar but the restaurant was dead and each of the mere 15 bar seats were taken. I know a lot of other places in the city have this policy but only if the restaurant/bar was big/busy. it wasnt. Good guac though. Unnecessary policy.
- Excellent Restaurant!NieceyDined on 5/5/2014Food is tasty! Price is reasonable!! Atmosphere is comfortable/romantic/cozy/friendly! Waiters/kitchen help are adorable/friendly! Owner's hospitality is wonderful...What else can I say!Special Features:
- Really great Mexican food!AJiLVIPDined on 5/3/2014The dark mole sauce is super awesome, and they have a seasonal menu that is fantastic. It can get pretty hectic on weekends, so I'd recommend making a reservation. Otherwise walk ins should be fine. Ambiance is energetic and eclectic. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the service and the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/1/2014Been coming here for years, came for my best friend's birthday (only 4 of us). Requested a quieter table... Got one because you have a great host! The waitress was hilarious and fun and as Lways the food was spot on, delicious home style Mexican food that melts in your mouth. We will be back again and again (as usual).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 4/14/2014The food is good but not the best mexican out there. Margaritas are decent not too sweet but for the price you expect this place to be more. Overall go if there are not many options you will have an okay experience. Expect to have slow service.
- Brunch for 14...no issues!!BryNycVIPDined on 4/5/2014We had scheduled 20 for brunch, at the last minute we were down to 14 people...restaurant ran with it and did not make a fuss. We had a FANTASTIC time and appreciate the service we received. Brunch was excellent all around...Special Features:
- Excellent!cak54Dined on 4/1/2014This could not be a better spot! Delicious food and relaxed atmosphere.Special Features:
- Solid Mexican FooddavidjenisonVIPDined on 3/21/2014The dishes are solid Mexican fare that focus more on doing it right than on trying to be overly fancy or inventive. If you love lamb, fish and steak made in a Mexican style, we highly recommend this place. Also has all the normal stuff like tacos, enchiladas, chile rellenos, etc. Our strongest recommendation, though, is to get the cheese and chorizo fondue appetizer.Special Features:
- Off the Chain Mexican FoodmikeybrownstoneDined on 3/14/2014The food from the appetizers to the entree was absolutey delish, affordable, great vibe and some good Sangria to go with whatever you're eating. Definitely going back again and again!Special Features:
- Group DinnerAMD524Dined on 3/10/2014We had a great experience at La Palapa. We went on a Monday - free corkage night - and loved that we could bring our own wine. Our dinners were delicious! I had the steak enchiladas - amazing. The tacos were also a hit. The guacamole was ok, too acidic for my taste and I didn't love the seasoning on the chips. They have an interesting dessert menu with unique items (like corn flavored ice cream). The ambience is cool and it wasn't too loud. The service was fine until the end. We waited a while to pay our bill and finally a different server took our payment. We would definitely go back (probably on a Monday again)!Special Features:
- vegan options!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/1/2014the vegan option is excellent, and the margaritas are true to their word-- one of the best that i've had in NYC. great location and very cool ambiance, but I was seated in the back room which isn't as nice as the front room and is a little secluded. However, it was still a great time with excellent food!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always solidly good Mexican food.JeremyDined on 2/21/2014Solidly good food and drinks at a place where you can sit down and enjoy a meal. Try anything in the mole sauce (I enjoyed the shrimp from the specials menu). The fried sweet plantains are also a treat.Special Features:
- Delicious Mexican FoodrraymondDined on 2/14/2014The food was fantastic. We had the guacamole and a quesadilla for appetizers: both were delicious. Our waiter was very attentive without being pushy. The margaritas are tasty, though a bit pricey for the small size. My girlfriend is a vegetarian and was very happy with the vegetarian relleno she got. I got the lamb shank and it was very good. The total tab came in at about $100, but for excellent food, good service, and a nice ambience, it was a good deal (given that this is NYC). A couple of minor complaints: seating was kind of scrunched together; the person next to me had to ask me to get up to use the bathroom because the spaces between tables is too narrow. It also gets loud later in the night as people come in to hang out by the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gang's night outVenusAdoreVIPDined on 2/12/2014Great spot for group event. We had ample amounts of everything for everyone, from our prixe fixe menu. The drinks flowed abundantly and the food was flavorful and visually appealing. Price point was good as well. A great find !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner SaturdayHinkeDined on 2/1/2014Really good food and nice and efficient personnel. We sat by the hectic bar which was a bit disturbing due to the high noise level and people bumping in to me. A quite young crowd, in their mid twenties.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loud but deliciousseriousDined on 1/31/2014The food is much better than the crowded and loud bar scene would suggest. There are a few quieter tables, and the staff make efforts to seat couple in places somewhat buffered from the noise. I come back for many dishes, but my favorite is the grilled duck breast with oaxacan mole. Fantastic. Also love the braised greens served as a side with most main courses, generous avocadoes in the salad, good fish dishes too (a recent special, salmon with a fig-chipotle sauce, sounds weird but tasted wonderful).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food, OK atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/25/2014Amazing food. Loved it. Great drink menu. Atmosphere just OK. Great waitress!I would recommend this to a friend.
- La Palapa has great food,OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/24/2014La Palapa has great food, good service but we were seated in the "party room" and very unhappy that they put us in a section with rowdy 20-somethings looking to get drunk on margaritas and party - it ruined the dining experience. I believe they put us in a table back there because I noted that it was my birthday in the open table reservation, so be careful about doing that. We were only and group of 4 30+ and not looking for the ambiance in that back room - it was awful.Special Features:
- love this placemarissaDined on 1/24/2014Came here for my birthday after coming for brunch and happy hour several times at the recommendation of a friend. Have always had a great time. They bent over backwards to accommodate my 9-person party after I made a reservation for only 7 on a busy Friday night. The margaritas are wonderful, and happy hour and brunch are great deals. Food is delicious. One of my favs in EV!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A surprise on this streetPoetessDined on 1/20/2014This stretch of St. Mark's Place in the East Village lacks charm, but La Palapa East is definitely upscale. We started with a delicious guacamole. I had sangria and my companion had blood orange margaritas. Our mains were my Caesar salad and his pork tacos, both excellent. We shared a huge tres leches for dessert. The noise level at the bar was pretty high when we first entered, but we sat way back and after a few minutes, it was quiet enough for conversation. There's an alcove in the rear of the room that is perfect for a private party of about 6 people, so i'm giving that some thought for a future date with friends. Our server was okay, but the bus persons were especially attentive. On the whole it was a very pleasant experience.Special Features:
- Delicious and FunMarydDined on 1/15/2014Went to La Palapa a few days ago for a friend's birthday. Food was great and the staff was friendly. Nice and relaxed atmosphere. We were able to relax after we finished eating and were not pressured out the door, which happens at many other restaurants. I would definitely recommend La Palapa.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Mexican restaurantAry240Dined on 1/14/2014We were recommended this restaurant by a friend and it certainly was a good experience. Food was great and everything was freshly made. Service was also great and very helpful with the menu choices. We will come back for sure, next time in New YorkSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it. And it is a 'highOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/14/2014Loved it. And it is a 'high road' employer - treats employees well and it showsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.