La Note Restaurant Provencal
2377 Shattuck Ave.
Berkeley, CA 94704Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
La Note Restaurant Provencal
- Dining Style: Home Style
- Website: http://www.lanoterestaurant.com/
- Phone: (510) 843-1525
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Daily: 8:00AM - 11:00AM; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00AM - 2:30PM, Saturday & Sunday: 11:00AM - 3:00PM; Dinner: Thursday - Sunday: 6:00PM - 10:00PM
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Provencal, French
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Cafe, Entertainment, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: The entire patio is also available for private events of 25 and over. We offer Provencal platters in the spirit of our a la carte menu selections, beautifully presented for large groups. Delivery is not available unless special arrangements are made.
- Private Party Facilities: The entire patio is also available for private events of 18 or more for private events (seasonally). The entire restaurant is available to rent Mondays-Wednesdays. Thursdays-Saturdays, large dinner groups are available during main service (not a private event) for parties up to 40.
- Private Party Contact: Dorothée 5108431517
- Entertainment: Live Guitarist on Thursday evenings. Accordion on Friday evenings
A word from La Note Restaurant Provencal
La Note is an authentic Provençal restaurant in the heart of downtown Berkeley. Traditional breakfast and lunch bistro fare are combined with rustic Provençal dinners in a warm and charming atmosphere. The restaurant's owner won an award in excellence in 1998 for "outstanding storefront improvements" and rehabilitation of its beautiful 1875 building. The stunning interior patio is open April - October.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
La Note Restaurant Provencal - Best Restaurants in Berkeley ›
La Note Restaurant Provencal reviews from OpenTable diners
114 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (60)great for brunch (58)great for lunch (48)fit for foodies (48)great for outdoor dining (35)romantic (29)special occasion (23)good for groups (10)hot spot (8)kid-friendly (8)notable wine list (3)late-night find (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/21/2014We have enjoyed La Note for years. We like going there for Sunday brunch with friends, lunch outside in the patio on a nice day or dinner before a movie or show at Zellerbach. We would recommend it to anyone who wants a little bit of Provence right here in Berkeley.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always delicious, service is greatomnivorous12Dined on 11/12/2014When I'm on this side of the bay I always love to go to La Note for brunch. The food is always excellent and the service is goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious dinner and dessertBrendaDined on 11/8/2014La Note is especially popular for brunch but dinner is delicious, too. We tried the pasta, sandwiches, and seafood and then split four desserts among our table of five. Everything was wonderful. Two standouts: The lemon ricotta ravioli and chocolate cake.Special Features:
- Great as usualFrequentDinerDined on 11/6/2014This is my 4th or 5th time at La Note and it never fails to disappoint. Their cheese and grape platter was great but an accompaniment of crackers or more bread would be a welcome change to the dish. Had the french toast for brunch and it was fantastic! Would go back again for moreSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and lots of it!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/1/2014We thought that the portions will be small but the portions were quite large. Food was delicious.Special Features:
- WCguyWCguyDined on 10/30/2014Had not been here for a couple of years and the food was excellent as in the past.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful DinnerDaberkVIPDined on 10/23/2014Bistro classics (with some admirable amendments) at very moderate prices. Special requests were handled graciously. House red a bit rough - just as one often encounters in Provence. Too bad dinner days are limited.Special Features:
- Midnight in ParisDZalez578Dined on 10/16/2014Beautiful restaurant, it threw me back in France 1920 everything is just mezmerising. It made me miss France so much it felt very cottagey . The food on the other hand is AMAZING my goal is to try every thing on the menu it's that amazing. I don't know how after living in Berkeley for a year not gone hereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- eatsrusDined on 10/14/2014I intended to order the jambon buerre but was glad to be seduced by the fabulous daily pasta special penne, Niman beef,tomatoes, and more. Terrific blood orange sorbet. Terrific service. Very pleasant, delightful staff who unobtrusively noticed every thing we needed and provided it without fanfare. Unfortunately, chair seats are small and not particularly comfortable, even for 3 small people. A bit crowded when full but perhaps this is alleviated when the garden patio is available. Am eager to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great French restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/10/2014Highly recommended and lived up to it's reputation. Can't wait to go back for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/10/2014This is a cute little restaurant with very good food. Our server was friendly and experienced. Unfortunately, the restaurant was packed, with people waiting outside. Because I had a reservation, my party was seated fairly quickly. However, the restaurant was so crowded and noisy, that we we elected to sit outside and the weather was a bit chilly. Great menu, great food, but we waited a long time for it to be served. I would definitely return and would try to find a less busy time.I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumRJlovesfoodDined on 10/3/2014The food was exquisite, as it has been for me in the past. Great atmosphere in the outside back patio. Unfortunately, the service was pretty slow for simple (and should be quick) things such as a mimosa (or five!) or condiments. But that did not dampen the mood at all. Still a great time, would definitely recommend it to a friend. Definitely sit in the back patio if there is availability! Inside was a bit stuffy but the back was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AngieDined on 9/27/2014Very nice and quaint feel. Our table was ready. I am not familiar with French cuisine, to me the dishes were a little on the bland side. But the ingredients were all so fresh, specially the bouillabaisse. The broth was so delicious at the end. Perfect for dipping your bread at the end. Love the profiteroles.Special Features:
- We enjoyed the food & the ambienceWhymeVIPDined on 9/26/2014We had not been to La Note for some time. The food was very good, and the noise level low enough that the four of us could talk to each other without having to raise our voices. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not so greatbayfoodDined on 9/26/2014this place used to be very good - hadn't been there for years and this time the food was just so-so. If it's French food you expect delicious. But not so much. The service was slow while friendly, good wine recommendation. However, the worn wicked cafe chairs were a bit hard on the derrier. Really they need to switch out their chairs! - they are sagging and uncomfortable - and unsteady. I did switch mine for one of newer more sturdy ones. And no my derrier is normal sized. I've heard that brunch is wonderful - but they need to get somebody else cooking in the kitchen who knows French cuisine for dinner. I will try them again because I love the ambienceSpecial Features:
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/25/2014La Note is a beloved Berkeley institution. It delivers so reliably. I have never been disappointed by anything I have gotten there. Tonight I had the salade Nicoise--magnificent!Special Features:
- go early (to brunch) for fruitfoodlackyVIPDined on 9/25/2014They only have a limited number of fruit bowls, though they serve them until 11, they usually run out well before then. If you have your heart set on it (like we usually do) you should try for a res for before 10am.Special Features:
- loved the whole experienceFrepDined on 9/19/2014Delightful! Food is great as was the service. The whole place is charming. I look forward to returning next time I'm in that neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty DinnerBarbiVIPDined on 9/19/2014We shared the delicious spinach salad. The bread should have had a crunchier crust. My husband enjoyed the lasagne. My ravioli was actually too rich for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/17/2014Very nice outdoor seating and service with good food.Special Features:
- friendlyfaceDined on 9/13/2014Three of us enjoyed our food but the fourth found his couscous meal too bland. Service was good, but noise level made it hard to listen across the table. It was a Sat. night between 6 and 8pm.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best salad nicoise in the worldOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/13/2014I have been going here for years. Really great food and generous servings. Travel a lot and often order a French salad to compare--still the best--beats the French optionsSpecial Features:
- Fresh and fillingMAmomDined on 9/12/2014Eggs and ginger pear pancakes for a late morning brunch - yum! With a reservation on a weekday morning, we didn't feel too rushed; food, friends and conversation made La Note a great meeting place. Love their jams and little water pitchers on the table - welcoming, thoughtful touches.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Slow ServiceFredUnoVIPDined on 9/8/2014As always the food here is quite good, the prices reasonable for the quality and quantity, and...the service is slow. Don't go when you are in a hurry, but do go when you can spend lots of time over a meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GoodDuomiDined on 9/6/2014I've been going to La Note for years and the quality of the food is as good as ever. There are some vegetarian options, which made it much easier for me to book a group dinner. My one complaint is the beer selection is very limited.Special Features:
- Nice brunch locationrph8Dined on 8/28/2014Looks authentically French and is usually full. Have been there only once, but liked the pancakes with blueberries and peach.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's all about the gardenCaseyVIPDined on 8/20/2014Fantastic, even on a foggy day. The food is good enough.Special Features:
- bmcleodDined on 8/16/2014First time. Walked by a couple weeks before and it looked interesting. Great place, nice staff, loved the foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/15/2014The Bagnat au Thon Grille was very disappointing. The tuna was strong-tasting and dry. I was expecting the accompanying "fries" to be pommes frites; instead they were fried potato wedges. It was a lovely summer evening, and we had requested to sit on La Note's lovely patio. EVen though we were in line before the restaurant opened at 6:00 pm, this request was not honored.Special Features:
- Provence in my backyardOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014Don't know how this place stayed under our radar all these years. It's modest menu done right ought to be a lesson to the growing number of over priced mediocre, trendy restaurants and cafes in the East Bay. The charcuterie and cheese plate was well done and very reasonable. Each of our salads was perfect. The sandwiches were more than a lunch meal for our crowd. The staff was attractive, patient and pleasant. We travel to France a couple of times a year for business and to stay with friends. This would be one of our favorite cafes in Aix if it were there.Special Features:
- Call First!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014We went to dinner for our anniversary, and expected that the food on the website's menu would be available. In fact, if you want something specific as we did, check first, because they never, seem to have the Charlotte. It was noisy, so not romantic, but we were okay with that. But the lack of oxygen in the dining room was uncomfortable. (We blew out our candle which was burning up valuable oxygen. ) The waitress did recognize that we were uncomfortable, and opened the windows and doors, so we give her credit for that. The lemon ricotta ravioli were great, but the halved grapes seemed to be just tossed in, not cooked into the sauce. The spinach salad was good, as was the baked camembert appetizer.Special Features:
- The following 549 reviews are from the La Note Restaurant Provencal reviews archive.
- We felt like we were on holidaydiningdivaDined on 7/25/2014Our table was in the middle of the restaurant and we enjoyed the feel, the food, the service, the diversity of people dining... and did I mention the food? My breakfast was delicious and it came with a gingerbread-lemon pancake topped with pears and blueberries, so delicious. My daughter's breakfast was also excellent, she added the sour cream cinnamon swirl coffee cake; wow. The tables were small and set with such lovely attention to detail, it felt like we were special guests. It turned out that everyone was. We plan to return.Special Features:
- French InterludeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/24/2014The back garden patio is so lovely, you feel like you have been transported to the S. of France. The food, ambiance and service are excellent. A Salad Nicoise, pate, ratatouille, bread were all authentic French cuisine. The prices are reasonable and the overall experience is priceless.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- STLeaterDined on 7/24/2014Excellent food, ambiance, vibe. Definitely will return and recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KaplanPrimeDined on 7/24/2014The breakfast here was excellent! Everything was extremely flavorful. The lavender honey was the perfect accompaniment to the toasted cinnamon brioche, and the roasted tomatoes that came with my 'Cote est' meal (pancake and eggs) were the best I've ever had. Really quite noteworthy. Be sure to get a cafe au leit, as it's served in the traditional french style and quite delicious.Special Features:
- Great as alwaysKarenTVIPDined on 7/23/2014I'm addicted to their baguette au brie. I only get one every 6 months. (Otherwise I'd look like a baguette au brie LOL), but it's worth the wait. My only complaint this time was getting only one garlic clove in my potatoes. The rest was perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/18/2014Lunch at La Note was delicious. Breakfast is served until 2:30 with traditional French cuisine. The Provençal tomatoes are wonderful. The only challenge was the number of people waiting for tables and the noise volume, making it difficult to hear.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!klbofthewestDined on 7/17/2014Great service, great food and a lovely outdoor patio. I met a client for lunch and we sat outside. We enjoyed the attention from the wait staff. They kept checking on us and were very prompt with our food. We asked about the food and the waitress wasn't afraid to help us through the menu. I had the ratatouille with spicy lamb sausage. It was delicious. It was just the right amount of food. My client and I shared a fruit and french cheese platter and that was deliciously decadent. For dessert I had the blood orange sorbet, just the right amount of sweet and a definite palate cleanser. My client was very happy with her brioche french toast breakfast and she delighted in looking at the garden with a variety of plants and flowers.Special Features:
- Fun food, decor, people-watchingGreenieVIPDined on 7/17/2014In La Note gather a wide assortment of Berkeley types, from professors to tourists. Crossing the threshold feels like being transported to Provence. Definitely order the lemon-ginger pancakes with poached pear. The merguez lamb sausage also a must. Love their coffee [dark roast].Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Provençal-Style Restogo2restoDined on 7/14/2014I've dined at La Note before but never in the rear garden area. During nice weather, the garden area can't be beat. The food was unpretentious but nicely presented. I've been to France many times; the outdoor experience made me feel almost in the Southern French countryside. We had a very nice lunch and our group of 5 adults and 3 1/2 month old baby were easily accomodated. Great service, good food and nice surroundings make this resto one of our favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.