La Note Restaurant Provencal
2377 Shattuck Ave.
Berkeley, CA 94704Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
La Note Restaurant Provencal
- Dining Style: Home Style
- Website: http://www.lanoterestaurant.com/
- Phone: 5108431525
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Daily: 8:00AM - 11:00AM; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00AM - 2:30PM, Saturday & Sunday: 11:00AM - 3:00PM; Dinner: Thursday - Sunday: 6:00PM - 10:00PM
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Provencal, French
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Cafe, Entertainment, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: The entire patio is also available for private events of 25 and over. We offer Provencal platters in the spirit of our a la carte menu selections, beautifully presented for large groups. Delivery is not available unless special arrangements are made.
- Private Party Facilities: The entire patio is also available for private events of 18 or more for private events (seasonally). The entire restaurant is available to rent Mondays-Wednesdays. Thursdays-Saturdays, large dinner groups are available during main service (not a private event) for parties up to 40.
- Private Party Contact: Dorothée 5108431517
- Entertainment: Live Guitarist on Thursday evenings. Accordion on Friday evenings
A word from La Note Restaurant Provencal
La Note is an authentic Provençal restaurant in the heart of downtown Berkeley. Traditional breakfast and lunch bistro fare are combined with rustic Provençal dinners in a warm and charming atmosphere. The restaurant's owner won an award in excellence in 1998 for "outstanding storefront improvements" and rehabilitation of its beautiful 1875 building. The stunning interior patio is open April - October.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
La Note Restaurant Provencal - Best Restaurants in Berkeley ›
La Note Restaurant Provencal reviews from OpenTable diners
134 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (71)great for brunch (70)great for lunch (53)fit for foodies (52)romantic (39)great for outdoor dining (36)special occasion (26)good for groups (12)kid-friendly (8)notable wine list (7)hot spot (7)scenic view (4)late-night find (1)Show More
- friendlyfaceDined on 9/13/2014Three of us enjoyed our food but the fourth found his couscous meal too bland. Service was good, but noise level made it hard to listen across the table. It was a Sat. night between 6 and 8pm.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best salad nicoise in the worldOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/13/2014I have been going here for years. Really great food and generous servings. Travel a lot and often order a French salad to compare--still the best--beats the French optionsSpecial Features:
- Fresh and fillingMAmomDined on 9/12/2014Eggs and ginger pear pancakes for a late morning brunch - yum! With a reservation on a weekday morning, we didn't feel too rushed; food, friends and conversation made La Note a great meeting place. Love their jams and little water pitchers on the table - welcoming, thoughtful touches.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Slow ServiceFredUnoDined on 9/8/2014As always the food here is quite good, the prices reasonable for the quality and quantity, and...the service is slow. Don't go when you are in a hurry, but do go when you can spend lots of time over a meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GoodDuomiDined on 9/6/2014I've been going to La Note for years and the quality of the food is as good as ever. There are some vegetarian options, which made it much easier for me to book a group dinner. My one complaint is the beer selection is very limited.Special Features:
- Nice brunch locationrph8Dined on 8/28/2014Looks authentically French and is usually full. Have been there only once, but liked the pancakes with blueberries and peach.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's all about the gardenCaseyDined on 8/20/2014Fantastic, even on a foggy day. The food is good enough.Special Features:
- bmcleodDined on 8/16/2014First time. Walked by a couple weeks before and it looked interesting. Great place, nice staff, loved the foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/15/2014The Bagnat au Thon Grille was very disappointing. The tuna was strong-tasting and dry. I was expecting the accompanying "fries" to be pommes frites; instead they were fried potato wedges. It was a lovely summer evening, and we had requested to sit on La Note's lovely patio. EVen though we were in line before the restaurant opened at 6:00 pm, this request was not honored.Special Features:
- Provence in my backyardOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014Don't know how this place stayed under our radar all these years. It's modest menu done right ought to be a lesson to the growing number of over priced mediocre, trendy restaurants and cafes in the East Bay. The charcuterie and cheese plate was well done and very reasonable. Each of our salads was perfect. The sandwiches were more than a lunch meal for our crowd. The staff was attractive, patient and pleasant. We travel to France a couple of times a year for business and to stay with friends. This would be one of our favorite cafes in Aix if it were there.Special Features:
- Call First!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014We went to dinner for our anniversary, and expected that the food on the website's menu would be available. In fact, if you want something specific as we did, check first, because they never, seem to have the Charlotte. It was noisy, so not romantic, but we were okay with that. But the lack of oxygen in the dining room was uncomfortable. (We blew out our candle which was burning up valuable oxygen. ) The waitress did recognize that we were uncomfortable, and opened the windows and doors, so we give her credit for that. The lemon ricotta ravioli were great, but the halved grapes seemed to be just tossed in, not cooked into the sauce. The spinach salad was good, as was the baked camembert appetizer.Special Features:
- We felt like we were on holidaydiningdivaDined on 7/25/2014Our table was in the middle of the restaurant and we enjoyed the feel, the food, the service, the diversity of people dining... and did I mention the food? My breakfast was delicious and it came with a gingerbread-lemon pancake topped with pears and blueberries, so delicious. My daughter's breakfast was also excellent, she added the sour cream cinnamon swirl coffee cake; wow. The tables were small and set with such lovely attention to detail, it felt like we were special guests. It turned out that everyone was. We plan to return.Special Features:
- French InterludeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/24/2014The back garden patio is so lovely, you feel like you have been transported to the S. of France. The food, ambiance and service are excellent. A Salad Nicoise, pate, ratatouille, bread were all authentic French cuisine. The prices are reasonable and the overall experience is priceless.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- STLeaterDined on 7/24/2014Excellent food, ambiance, vibe. Definitely will return and recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KaplanPrimeDined on 7/24/2014The breakfast here was excellent! Everything was extremely flavorful. The lavender honey was the perfect accompaniment to the toasted cinnamon brioche, and the roasted tomatoes that came with my 'Cote est' meal (pancake and eggs) were the best I've ever had. Really quite noteworthy. Be sure to get a cafe au leit, as it's served in the traditional french style and quite delicious.Special Features:
- Great as alwaysKarenTVIPDined on 7/23/2014I'm addicted to their baguette au brie. I only get one every 6 months. (Otherwise I'd look like a baguette au brie LOL), but it's worth the wait. My only complaint this time was getting only one garlic clove in my potatoes. The rest was perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/18/2014Lunch at La Note was delicious. Breakfast is served until 2:30 with traditional French cuisine. The Provençal tomatoes are wonderful. The only challenge was the number of people waiting for tables and the noise volume, making it difficult to hear.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!klbofthewestDined on 7/17/2014Great service, great food and a lovely outdoor patio. I met a client for lunch and we sat outside. We enjoyed the attention from the wait staff. They kept checking on us and were very prompt with our food. We asked about the food and the waitress wasn't afraid to help us through the menu. I had the ratatouille with spicy lamb sausage. It was delicious. It was just the right amount of food. My client and I shared a fruit and french cheese platter and that was deliciously decadent. For dessert I had the blood orange sorbet, just the right amount of sweet and a definite palate cleanser. My client was very happy with her brioche french toast breakfast and she delighted in looking at the garden with a variety of plants and flowers.Special Features:
- Fun food, decor, people-watchingGreenieVIPDined on 7/17/2014In La Note gather a wide assortment of Berkeley types, from professors to tourists. Crossing the threshold feels like being transported to Provence. Definitely order the lemon-ginger pancakes with poached pear. The merguez lamb sausage also a must. Love their coffee [dark roast].Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Provençal-Style Restogo2restoDined on 7/14/2014I've dined at La Note before but never in the rear garden area. During nice weather, the garden area can't be beat. The food was unpretentious but nicely presented. I've been to France many times; the outdoor experience made me feel almost in the Southern French countryside. We had a very nice lunch and our group of 5 adults and 3 1/2 month old baby were easily accomodated. Great service, good food and nice surroundings make this resto one of our favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine French foodFoodieVIPDined on 7/12/2014We four were all happy with our orders. This was our first time here for dinner and we loved the extensive menu choices and everything was delicious and well priced. We will be back.Special Features:
- Like being in FranceDisappointedDined on 7/8/2014Nice atmosphere--friendly and helpful staff. Love the menu-- especially breakfast. Definitely would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Patio in BerkeleyOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/2/2014The patio in back of La Note is truly a beautiful place to eat and hang out. The food is good, not great; as wonderful as pancakes made of lemon-ginger or oatmeal-raspberry sound, they are only "good." The "special berry coulis" is dry, sparse and definitely not worth ordering. Service is friendly and gracious.Special Features:
- BrunchbunchDined on 7/1/2014Took a friend for birthday breakfast. We had a wonderful time. The food and service was exceptional. I would recommend La Note to my friendsSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014We found the food rather bland (despite ordering what sounded like 3 unique and flavorful combinations) but staff and ambiance was pleasant. Nice decor. Wouldn't go again, though it's considered a long-time Berkeley gem.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/27/2014Felt like I was in the Prevence. The food was great. Will be back often.Special Features:
- What a nice experiencePhilVIPDined on 6/26/2014Went here after a Berkeley Rep performance (10% same day discount). Very attractive place. The prices are very reasonable (even without the discount) and the food was innovative and delicious. My wife had the seafood in the puffed pastry and I had the chicken with garlic, tomatoes a curry sauce. Both were wonderful and large portions, making for a nice lunch the next day. Had an appetizer of baked camembert with roasted pears. Only complaint is that we would have enjoyed a few more pear slices. Split a desert - again a good size portion along with excellent coffee. The house white wine (by glass or carafe) was VERY nice. Service was very attentive without hovering. Waitress had a great sense of humor. Noise level allowed easy conversation.Special Features:
- likesgoodfoodLikesgoodfoodVIPDined on 6/26/2014Overall, good experience. Food consistently good. Service is fine, not particularly attentive -- had to ask for more water, etc.Special Features:
- Very Accommodating!NogdgupDined on 6/25/2014Typically, popular spots are not very accommodating. However, within 24-hours, my reservation changed from 6 to 10, down to a final count of 5. My guests were embarrassingly late, yet demanding. The wait staff had to scramble to change our table from outside to inside seating--and yet they did it all with a smile. Even better, the food was good too! :)Special Features:
- once again, this time for la notethankskdVIPDined on 6/20/2014fun; good food served appropriately hot; many persons from the university of California helped make up the patrons.Special Features:
- Great little restaurantSighDined on 6/14/2014Food was excellent although the menu was somewhat limited. Service was outstanding. We had an early theatre and the staff served us rapidly and efficiently. This restaurant really captures the feeling of Provence.Special Features:
- Great food, reasonable pricesluv2dine99Dined on 6/13/2014The French Provencal cuisine is fancy and abundant, excellent wines, tempting desserts, all for reasonable prices. An accordian player provided ambience that did not overpower conversation. The only downside is hard to find parking.Special Features:
- wonderful -- but for bad accordionOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/6/2014Excellent food, tasty and interesting and keeping with the theme, a French restaurant. Staff efficient and fun, the whole ambiance with French decorations was tops. Qui bon! Then this accordion player comes in, with an amplified little "boom box" with canned percussion, and starts playing -- seriously -- the Bee Gees, the Rolling Stones, and worse. It so killed the wonderful "we are in France" feel up until then. Too loud, made conversation hard. Several of us patrons commented on it, that's the nice thing, the restaurant has a good feel and people are friendly. Someone even went up and offered a tip to play anything French -- one tune then back to the worst "rock on an accordion" drivel. Please -- get rid of this obnoxious canned muzak.Special Features:
- LovelyRedheadDined on 6/3/2014I have a special friend who recommended this restaurant, and it's the 2nd time we've gone back. I wish we could have had a table that wasn't so squeezed in, but we always feel comfortable and very much enjoy the Nicoise salad.Special Features:
- Breakfast was delicousOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/3/2014Service was excellent. Will go back for lunch. Looked at the patio and will try it on a warm day when we come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- zebraheadzebraheadDined on 6/2/2014The best omelets on the planet! The bacon is perfection, and the tomatoes provencal are wonderful! SUCH a happy lunch! Thank you.Special Features:
- Brunch FanOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/2/2014I had not been to La Note for many years and was pleasantly surprised to find the food just as good as many years ago. I had stopped going because it was always a long wait to get in for brunch. When I discovered they took reservations and could reserve on Open Table, I decided to reserve a table for our group. When we arrived at our reservation time, our table was ready (despite some people waiting outside) and even though our entire had not yet arrived, they happily sat us at our table because we had made a reservation - refreshingly different in Berkeley.Special Features:
- Enter La Belle FranceBerkeleyDaveVIPDined on 5/31/2014When you leave the mean streets of Berkeley and enter La Note, you are transported 8000 km to La Belle France. We had a great steak and frites and a wonderful bouillabaisse.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/29/2014Thank you for the vase for my sunflowers! Excellent service, excellent food, and a very pleasant dining spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoisBVIPDined on 5/27/2014Although La Note has a lovely outdoor courtyard for dining, it was offset by truly terrible service. The wait to put in our order was surpassed only by the wait to get our food. I received the wrong breakfast order, which I didn't realize until the waitress swooped in and grabbed my plate mid- mouthful, announcing it was for another table. We had to flag down a busboy to get coffee, since the waitress was nowhere to be found. Pancakes were dry and chewy, although the eggs and potatoes were good. Overall, a disappointment.