239 West 14th Street
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
SpanishPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.lanacionaltapas.com/
- Phone: (212) 243-9308
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:30am - 5:00pm;
Dinner: Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm,
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm,
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Lolo Manso
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout
- Catering: Enjoy a Spanish Paella Party, catered for 10-500!!
Full bar and affordable pricing for those on a budget.
Call 347 4791021
A word from La Nacional
Opened in 1868, La Nacional is a beloved Spanish Restaurant located in the Spanish Benevolent Society.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
La Nacional reviews from OpenTable diners
16 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (6)fit for foodies (5)good for groups (4)kid-friendly (2)notable wine list (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Authentic Spanish food at a fair priceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/22/2014La Nacional is a great authentic Spanish restaurant housed in the building of the Spanish Benevolent Society. The prices are very fair for Manhattan, and on Saturdays they have a live flamenco show upstairs. It's the closest you'll get to Spain in the US.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- La Nacional Lunch experience.FlowermumDined on 11/16/2014My two high school girlfriends and I met for lunch on a Sunday. One friend is a high school Spanish teacher. She said the paella was the best she's had outside Spain. Great tapas selection and the sangria was excellent. Very fair pricing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner experience!TheScarsdaleFoodieDined on 10/24/2014The Paella La Nacional was outstanding! Very flavorful. We also had the calamari appetizer which was cooked perfectly. Great place to go with friends to hang out, drink sangria and have a great meal.Special Features:
- Highly RecommendedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/9/2014Visited La Nacional this weekend, and spending several weeks in Spain this summer. The food is excellent and holds up well to what you would find in Spain.Special Features:
- nice suggestiondineoutwithfriendsDined on 8/30/2014we were looking for a table for 12-15 people…and one of my friends suggested this place…it was great for the group…we wanted to talk and obviously that would be noise, but no one seemed to be bothered. We were sort of having a get to together after a year or so. Great place for a group, but not for a couple if you are looking for a romantic time. nice food, we all loved it. Nice sangria.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for food, prepare for noiseRubyChewsdayDined on 8/27/2014I've been here many times and the food is always very good. This nite were only two tables taken in our dining room, ours was four older women talking, the other a larger group and very noisy. Between that table and the music (which we asked twice to be turned lower) it was very difficult for my party to hear each other and we felt we were shouting. The paella La Nacional, as always, was excellent. The person who ordered the vegetarian version said it was pretty much nothing but rice and chickpeas and she barely ate it. If you're prepared for what may be unavoidable noise from happy other diners, you should have a good time.Special Features:
- Tops for TapasOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/3/2014For one of the most extensive Spanish tapas menus and paella ...meat, seafood, chicken or vegetarian ...authentically prepared and attentively served, with a correspondingly good wine and beer selection ... look no furtherSpecial Features:
- The following 34 reviews are from the La Nacional reviews archive.
- Good paella and small platesVanKidDined on 6/28/2014Incredibly noisy. Uncomfortable chairs and tables but if you need a paella fix go for it.
- Waaay to noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 6/18/2014Not a good date place. Groups were way too loud. Had to shout over them.Special Features:
- Love, love, love!PNH8Dined on 4/5/2014This is my second time dining here and it didn't disappoint me at all. The fried artichoke was fabulous, gazpacho was so creamy and dreamy and you MUST have octopus, which is tender and perfectly seasoned. Also, gotta try Black Paella. The waitress was very charming and attentive - she said that she is a Madridianne and the food at La Nacional makes her feel like she's home and gave us great advices in choosing dishes. I love this restaurant not only for the food, but also the simpleness of the atmosphere and sincerity of the staff. The decor is far from pretentious. The price is just right, too. Though I'm afraid that this place could become too crowded, I would highly recommend La Nacional and I'd go back there very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unfortunately I was shockedJbennybennyVIPDined on 4/4/2014Unfortunately I was shocked by how poorly maintained this restaurant was. I feel as if I should stop writing because I sadly have not many positive things to say.
- Authentic TapasUES123Dined on 4/4/2014Delicious, authentic tapas and great wine. The food came out quickly and the servers were friendly. It's a bit of a hole in the wall, very basic (the ceiling features bare bulbs- no frills here). On a prime Friday night there were maybe only 4 other tables. What it lacks in decor, it makes up for in charm. A perfect place for a low key night with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, Sub Par ServiceLaurenDined on 3/14/2014I dined here with a friend on a Friday evening around 9:00. The decor of this garden level restaurant is no frills basic and reminded me of my days living in Spain. Prices were reasonable and food was good, but the service from our waitress left something to be desired. I'm not sure if it was a language barrier, but she didn't seem to understand some of our (basic) questions such as "Is there onion in the tortilla?" "Can we have some more Brava sauce?". I could see past this, but after bringing us our food we were not checked on for well over an hour. Finally we were able to flag her down for the check, but she never came to offer us coffee/dessert/see how our food was etc. Overall a decent experience, but nothing mind blowing.
- Service was lax on a moderatelyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/21/2014Service was lax on a moderately busy Friday evening. Ordered two appetizer/tapas and one entree for two. Server forgot one of the tapas and it was difficult to flag down a server in between courses. As for food, amazing gazpacho, otherwise food was just average.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spanish Gem in NYCNYCGirlDined on 2/15/2014Loved this little restaurant. It's a bit rough around the edges but part of what makes it special. The food was quite good. Rustic. Never been to Spain but it felt authentic. Had amazing roasted peppers, potatoes bravas, grilled squid, paella, and the dessert was really yummy. Will definitely be back but this time with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOrrerrificVIPDined on 2/14/2014We went on a busy Friday night and the restaurant was full and lively. The food is great but sadly the service was quite lousy . Pity, because this can be a great place for a great evening.Special Features:
- Nice mom and pop spotTommyDDined on 2/6/2014Great food, great service, you will love this spot for its traditional decor, leaving all the snootiness at the door.Special Features:
- okay diningKateDined on 1/24/2014I expected a little more from this place. Our waiter only checked on us when we gave our order and then he vanished. We had to ask another waiter for our food, which we waited for for 30 minutes. Being a vegetarian, they didn't really have too many large plate options to chose from. Overall, I would not return.Special Features:
- Traditional Spanish done well.scottyVIPDined on 12/5/2013Pleasant experience.. Nice authentic vibe and tasty basics.
- Authentic Tapas RestaurantLisaKNYCDined on 11/16/2013The food was delicious. Almost all of our small plates came out at once, which I don't prefer, but we didn't ask for them to be staggered either. There's an open kitchen in the middle, so you know its clean, but it gets a bit warm in the restaurant. The place had a very authentic feel. I'd definitely recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The paella was ok, the octopuswynkDined on 11/5/2013The paella was ok, the octopus really was not. It just was not that nice....
- Spain dining at it's finest!JohnnyDined on 10/27/2013Great selection of food. Dined for an anniversary and the atmosphere was great. Waiter was on top of his game and was very well spoken and professional. La Nacional will be a place my family attend a few times a year.Special Features:
- okay- had hoped for bettercbouckDined on 10/25/2013I had higher hopes because I like their restaurant, Soccarrat, a lot. The paella we ordered was not nearly as good as what I've had Soccarrat and the tapas were only fine. Service was not very good- the waiter could not figure out how to divide the bill evenly between 4 credit cards and over charged us.
- La NacionalbuddDined on 10/12/2013We had just come back from vacation in Spain and wanted to go for authentic tapas. This was the place. Very hard to find good octopus done as in Galicia, with steamed potato and paprika. It was so tender. All the other tapas were just as good. Sangria very very nice. Try it, you'll be back. Also went to their sister restaurants, all very nice, all with authentic paellas as well!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bland birthdaycapdanmycapdanDined on 8/31/2013Went to La Nacional for my birthday dinner with four other friends. I'm a big fan of paella, and I specifically chose this restaurant because I heard the paella was tasty. Unfortunately, the seafood was overcooked, giving the dish a somewhat mushy texture. My friends said their food was bland to begin with. The best thing was definitely the coco vegetariana. We were in charge of filling our own water glasses and sangria glasses but still paid the 20 percent gratuity that was added to our bill. Overall, it was a fine place. I probably wouldn't go back, but it wasn't terrible.Special Features:
- We almost all ordered theOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/25/2013We almost all ordered the paella, mine was vegetable and was ok although $18 was a bit much for rice and veggies My friend ordered the black rice seafood paella which tasted fishy to me. Another friend ordered the garlic chicken which was delicious. The waitress was very polite even though we booked reservations for 9pm on a Sunday night which was an hour before closing and we were the only customers.Special Features:
- Paella was a rip off. TheyOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/15/2013Paella was a rip off. They ask how many people want paella and don't mention that it is $22 each yet each portion can feed 2 people.
- Definitely a place that standsTinyTDined on 8/3/2013Definitely a place that stands out by the food and not the decor. They were out of the Cava we wanted, and the one recommended was good. All of the tapas were great especially Gambas al ajillo, Croquetas and Chorizo, serrano & manchego platter. Our only complain would be the noise. We were sat in a front room that has low ceilings and it was hard to have a conversation because it was extremely loud. Other than that, it was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good tapas barTonalismVIPDined on 8/2/2013The things we ordered were good ...except the calamari which was rubbery as most places do. A good lesser expensive place but has sort of a non intimate basement feel.
- Mediocre food; unattractive restaurabracadabaVIPDined on 5/17/2013There are many better Spanish restaurants in the area. This one can be skipped.
- Mediocrehchan46VIPDined on 5/6/2013It was a decent experience. Cute place that's not too crowded. The food is good but wasn't spectacular. I think they must be understaffed for a Monday since service was a bit spotty. They forgot our croquettes and was "surprised" when we told them that it didn't come yet. Like as if we had eaten and forgot. Patatas bravas was okay, paella was good.
- Tasty foodandreaVIPDined on 5/4/2013Paella valenciana and arroz nigro for 4 people, a selection of tapas, and desserts.... Excellent on all accounts. I'd recommend this place especially for the food. Service was attentive and the ambiance is good, the music was just at the right volume to enjoy while still being able to have a conversation . This was my second time here and certainly will come in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Spanish SpotRachelDined on 5/4/2013This restaurant was the perfect place to celebrate our family birthday celebration. Our group of 12 was easily and comfortably accommodated. The delicious tapas and paella were perfect for sharing. Service and staff were friendly and helpful. Food tasted fresh and not overly salty (like so many other restaurants). The staff surprised us with a birthday candle in one of the yummy desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- May Day B-day CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/1/2013Celebrated my birthday with 9 friends and had an absolutely wonderful time. The food and sangria was delicious! All my friends raved about the tapas and their entrees and agreed this place is a keeper. The only issue we had was the spotty service. Our waiter was a very nice young man, but in his zeal to place the paella orders becauase of the amount of time it takes to prepare them, he didn't take the entree orders for the other half of our table, so our entrees were staggered and he skipped over one friend entirely. Her food arrived when the rest of the table was ready for dessert and coffee. But again, despite this hiccup, we will all come back again. Thank you.Special Features:
- great for group lunch or dinnerMadisonVIPDined on 4/22/2013We went there as a group from our Spanish class, for lunch. This is a very nice place for an informal lunch or dinner with a group of friends. Because the place is loud at night anyway and you don't have to be careful that the other tables would be disturbed. Two of us made a reservation for the Wednesday flaminco show. That was something we would not do again. It was really awful :(Special Features:
- Its a shame the service wasOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 4/3/2013Its a shame the service was mediocre, since the food (when it finally arrived) was delicious. The room we were in (about eight 4-tops and two 2-tops) had only 1 server. Also, we had to walk and get cash since their credit-card machine broke. Will be hesitant to go again...
- Love tapas and Paella. FriendsOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 3/21/2013Love tapas and Paella. Friends had recommended it. Good but not great. Like the funky, "real-deal" vibe.Special Features:
- A real neighborhood gem!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/16/2013An institution, a place where you can taste and enjoy real food. No gimmick of using high sounding food description.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was nice but not veryOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/8/2013Service was nice but not very efficient - waitress was very nice and apologetic but could not speak any English and had trouble understanding any requests we had. Food quality though not bad, did not justify the extravagant prices. Decor was sub-par and bread served smelled stale and with packaged butter (like the ones given in airlines). Overall, not going to return given the plethora of choices in New York City.
- Interesting placeOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 1/19/2013My husband and I enjoyed our dinner. The atmosphere is not fabulous but it is very authentic. I had Sangria which was very well prepared. The food was good. I did not get the Paella which looked delicious! The small plate Potato dishw as excellent (Bravas?)Special Features: