La Mia Cucina
208 17th Street
Pacific Grove, CA 93950Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
La Mia Cucina
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lamiacucinaristorante.com/
- Phone: (831) 373-2416
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Wednesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Michael Scanlon
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: La Mia Cucina offers two different rooms for parties.
The smallest is the Bacchis which holds up to 24 in the upstairs dining room.
For large parties the restaurant can seat up to 58.
- Private Party Contact: Michael Scanlon 8313732416x
A word from La Mia Cucina
Stroll along 17th St., between Lighthouse and Laurel and you will find one of the Peninsula’s favorite spots, La Mia Cucina. This little jewel, with its fresh ambiance and tantalizing menu, is popular with everyone. The colorful European advertising posters that enliven the walls, are “originals, not reproductions.” That phrase is accurate in describing La Mia Cucina itself. From the comfortable linen white decor, accented beautifully by those turn-of-the-century posters, to the hand-crafted entrees and desserts, everything about La Mia Cucina says fresh and original. Owner Michael’s specialty, his ravioli dishes, are a renowned local favorite, and for good reason. They are hand made, with all the care that only a lifetime of creative food combining can bring. In addition to pasta, La Mia Cucina is known for it's fresh fish and meat specials. The desserts are made in-house by his wife Paula and daughter Michaela, and the service is personal and inviting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
La Mia Cucina - Best Restaurants in Pacific Grove ›
La Mia Cucina reviews from OpenTable diners
36 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (29)fit for foodies (22)special occasion (17)romantic (15)notable wine list (6)kid-friendly (4)good for groups (3)hot spot (2)late-night find (1)scenic view (1)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Fabulous neighborhood findsunnyVIPDined on 11/21/2014We were looking for something new to us in Pacific Grove and boy did we find a great gem. Food was wonderful and service just as good. There were some unique dishes that we tried. Our only complaint was that we tried so many new things, we were completely stuffed when we left. We will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/7/2014We enjoyed this dining experience! The service was super friendly, the food was very good it was a fun night!Special Features:
- Dining with the LocalsChrisDined on 11/7/2014I've dined here previously and it was so good that I had to return. It's great being able to get away from the chain restaurants on Cannery Row and find local gems like this one. I picked the Friday we went so my wife could have the daily special of the lasagna which she loved and they give you a healthy portion so you will NOT go hungry. I try to have something different each time so I can enjoy the different dishes. Last time I had the gnocchi (with the two different sauces side by side which was quite tasty. This time is was the sea bass which I also enjoyed. The chef came by later to check on us (nice touch) and confirmed that I made the right choice picking the fish. My taste buds agreed. After an afternoon of tasting and purchasing wines, I was glad that they offered half bottles so we didn't feel the need to finish a whole bottle between us. I have not been disappointed here. Great atmosphere, great food.....of course I'll return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Wonderful Dining Experience!FoodieVIPDined on 11/6/2014We have had the pleasure of dining at La Mia Cucina several times and have always had a wonderful experience. The food is always prepared perfectly, and dinning is always memorable. The nightly specials are amazing, and the soup is delicious and we always are looking forward to our next dining experience. The service is outstanding and we are always made to feel at home and as a valued guest.Special Features:
- A very safe bet and not expensiveSammyDined on 10/31/2014The service was very good. Love Paula and her recipes. The quality of food was very acceptable, especially we did not feel like a Passion Fish night.Special Features:
- Great food, pleasant atmosphereTGFloridaVIPDined on 10/30/2014The food is always excellent and FRESH! Romantic setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delighted ParentsnomagicpleaseDined on 10/30/2014While in Monterey visiting our daughter who is in school there, we went to several restaurants; we all agreed that this was the best. Great food and service. Delightful people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lucky find!TheSumptuousSamplersDined on 10/23/2014We came to Pacific Grove for our 35th wedding anniversary and spent the week visiting our favorite restaurants. We also tried some new places, based on reviews from online sources. La Mia Cucina was highly recommended, and we were not disappointed. From the friendly and attentive staff to the luscious desserts, our experience was delightful. We are probably going to make La Mia Cucina one of our "regular" dining spots.Special Features:
- Great FindgreatfoodseekerDined on 10/19/2014We dined on a Sunday night, the special was spaghetti and meatballs which my husband swears tasted like his mom was in the kitchen! The hostess made accommodations to seat us when we arrived a few minutes early. Overall great place.Special Features:
- Great family run restaurantCarmeltravelerVIPDined on 10/17/2014Excellent food in a small neighborhood restaurant where they treat you like family. They make their own Italian sausage - the best we have had in years. Reasonable prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/10/2014We were visiting Pacific Grove for the weekend and followed the advice of other reviewers. Spot on! Such a lovely, warm ambiance with a really comfortable level of elegance and casual. We were pleased with the inclusion of salad and soup with our entrees and we had a nice affordable Barolo. Everything was delicious: split pea soup, garden salad, Caesar salad, foccacia served with olive oil and balsamic vinegar... the service was gracious and it seemed like everyone who worked there came by to check on us and make sure we were happy, including the chef, which was lovely. The only reason I'm giving the food 4 stars instead of 5 is that the halibut I ordered was a little overdone and dry.Special Features:
- Great Find In Pacific GroveSFFredDined on 10/5/2014Very small 12-14 tables, white linen, older owners and crowd, I'm assuming family owned. Excellent service and Italian food, decent wine list. These folks go out of there way to make your experience a good one. Service is very warm and one on one. Try the clam fettuccini, best I've ever had, lobster ravioli was also outstanding. Try this place.Special Features:
- Our 55th AnniversarybosherdineDined on 10/4/2014Saw the high ratings via Trip Adviser and committed to dinner for our 55th Anniversary Dinner. We were not disappointed! The food was superb! Best Gnocci ever. Halibut special surrounded by fish broth was wonderful.Special Features:
- QualityFoodiesDined on 10/3/2014from the moment you enter to the time you leave, nothing but exceptional! We will be returning here every time we come back to PG.... Service, food, hospitality is without a doubt 5⭐️'s.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth Trying Once For The ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/27/2014Our first visit to La Mia Cucina was a spur of the moment decision. While we didn't regret our choice, there were rough spots during the evening that were worth mentioning. All of those rough spots had to do with the food. My pasta dish contained capers that tasted like they'd been in the refrigerator a bit too long. My wife's pasta dish contained prawns that, while grilled, tasted more like the freezer than the grill. And frankly, I've had a lot better tiramisu at other places. Still, the bread was delicious, the wine was superb, and the service was above and beyond our expectations. The service alone was enough for us to merit a return visit, just to see if the food was having an off-night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a favoritemosleyDined on 9/19/2014La Mia Cucina is a great neighborhood restaurant. When you walk in your receive an old-fashioned Italian welcome. The decor is fun with colorful Italian posters. Service is friendly and professional. The menu has lots of housemade pastas including several ravioli choices, fresh fish, great salads, etc. A nice glass of wine very reasonable at $7.25. This is a family-run restaurant and you can see and taste the attention to detail. A wonderful selection of housemade desserts. Portions are just right in size. The food is delicious and non-pretentious. Try the fettucine with clams.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very nicekristinaDined on 9/12/2014cozy but not crowded romantic and good service love the tableware and linensSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A KeeperKensnameistooshortDined on 9/12/2014First time diners here - we usually dine across the parking lot at Fandango and had not really noticed La Mia Cucina. Our loss. A knowledgeable and attentive staff who gave us excellent wine (a bold and tasty Barbaresco) and dinner recommendations and returned often to see if we needed anything. Rita's pea soup was excellent, as was my salad. Bread was outstanding! And it kept coming! We both had the lasagna - loaded with cheese and a tasty, tangy sauce. The entire staff (servers, manager, and chef) was friendly and cheerful and seems to genuinely enjoy their jobs. Tough to categorize - there were a broad spectrum of diners - students to families to seniors - a real family atmosphere. We will eat here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a find! We will be back!CaliforniaJimDined on 8/30/2014We read the prior reviews and this place lived up to them all. Reservations a must! We were early diners because later hours were already taken. Thru done luck a party of four drew the only open table after 6:30PM. Good was excellent. My wife is gluten intolerant and they had four choices of pasta she could substitute with ease. Pan fried fish versus breaded was an easy swap. Our food was literally right off the cooking surface, arrived hot and very tasty. The desert tray inveigled the mind and wonderful choices for any palate. We have a vacation home in PG and already planning our next visit to this excellent restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable night - food goodRoDDDined on 8/23/2014The service and small dining room are great for an intimate dining experience. The food was very good. My wife had the patrale sole special and I had the eggplant Parmesan. When I ordered the arrancini as an appetizer, the server asked me if I was vegetarian, since I ordered no meat or fish. Nice touch and considerate intent. Thank you, Richard. Great job. I'm not vegetarian, but I appreciate the thought. The food is not like I have had in Italy. More Americanized-Italian.....too much tomato and sauces. We will be back.Special Features:
- Great service; Great foodAnonDined on 8/22/2014I only visit Pacific Grove once every 2 years, but have made it a point to visit Joe Rombi's La Mia Cucina for my past three trips (over a 4 year span). Over the years the food and service has been consistently great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great neighborhood restaurant!WineandDineDined on 8/17/2014We so enjoyed the ambiance and service . The specials were outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good food, good prices, A+TeresaDined on 8/15/2014La Mia Cucina offers a menu with an attention to locally sourced ingredients combined with old-world (authentic) Italian recipes. Where else can you find a menu with arancini, cannoli, housemade pasta and just caught Monterey Bay fish? The prices are really fair, as entrees include a generous salad or soup. This restaurant just does it right -- from the great service to the little things like excellent foccaccia. The owners are always present, working hard to make sure you enjoy the meal. While this is definitely a neighborhood restaurant, Pacific Grove tourists are smart to find it and enjoy... We sure did. Small place, but doesn't feel crowded at all. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic EveningWeluvfoodDined on 8/9/2014Celebrated our 1 year anniversary and the service was outstanding. The home made sausage in the tortiglioni was amazing and the salmon special was cooked perfectly. Definitely recommend the home made cannoli for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deliciousanabel12Dined on 8/8/2014La Mia Cucina is a wonderful restaurant with delicious food, fabulous service, and friendly staff. It's our "special occasion" restaurant in Pacific Grove!Special Features:
- The following 109 reviews are from the La Mia Cucina reviews archive.
- Nice Italian FareBrianVIPDined on 7/26/2014Italian with a California twist. Friendly service. Serviceable menu. A few glitches here and there, (soup a little tepid, salmon not the freshest) but some nice touches too. I would not rush back but on a busy weekend when reservations are hard to come by, it will work.
- Recent DinerOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 7/24/2014Fabulous food and service. Pastas, meat and fish were outstanding. The personalized service of the owner Chef and his wife the Hostess made us feel so welcomed. Wish I lived closer so I could dine there weekly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderfully welcomingIdodinnerDined on 7/19/2014We came and did the whole experience. We had fantastic appetizers, bottles of wine, meals, and dessert. Overall we were there somewhere in the neighborhood of 4 hours, and the experience was wonderful. Typically you start to feel rushed when you are at a table too long, however, here they only encouraged comfort and enjoyment of our meal. They had a special dessert on the menu that was wonderful apricot cobbler, and we even finished that of with some port. As we sat there even after that enjoying our out of town guests, they continued to check on us and even gave us some free truffles, just because. Fantastic for entertaining special guests.Special Features:
- New Owners, But Still Great FoodPGlocalDined on 6/20/2014If you like a menu with Italian and fresh fish choices, this is the place to come. A locals favorite is now under new ownership, but still maintains high quality food.Special Features:
- Dining excellencePaulSVIPDined on 6/7/2014The restaurant is on a quiet side street. It is a small place. We were welcomed by the owners and seated. They brought amazing bruschetta and the best foccacia bread before our salads.. They have a nice variety of wines on their wine list and we saw one person bring their own bottle so they offer corkage as well. They offered a special salad of beets, arugala and pine nuts that was excellent. My wife had cheese ravioli which she commented was the best she had ever had. I had the lasagna special. It came out boiling hot and after I let it cool a bit was tasty and delicious. We finished our dinner with decaf Cappuccino. The wait staff and owners were attentive and so welcoming. This restaurant is a "not to miss".Special Features:
- JanGVIPDined on 5/23/2014Delicious soups , salads and entrees! Super wonderful service with humor and grace!Special Features:
- Update La Mia Cucinaluv2dineVIPDined on 5/18/2014We have been coming here for years. The food was and still is very good. The crab cake is delicious. The ravioli are handmade and are very good. The veal special was a disappointment in that the veal was totally covered with marinara sauce - which defeats the purpose of paying $29 for veal scallopini. Please go back to simple sauces for the meat specials. Another disappointment was that the long-time chef/owner had sold the restaurant and was not there to make customers feel welcome.Special Features:
- A real find2commensaliDined on 5/14/2014This small, restaurant (perhaps 12 tables) just off Lighthouse Drive on 17th in Pacific Grove has a menu that sounds just like any other Italian restaurant's menu, but - these dishes are wonderfully prepared and presented with love and care. The prices are the same as elsewhere but the quality is better. Go and see for yourself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food underwhelmedNinaDined on 5/10/2014Loved the ambience, the warmth, the portion size, the willingness to make changes - but our dishes just lacked brightness and more intense flavoring. Everything was basically bland. We should have tried the tomato sauced dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RevisitOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/4/2014We always enjoyed Joe Rombies and were pleased to see virtually the same staff and same fine food.Special Features:
- Service & StyleDavidVIPDined on 5/3/2014The waiter & chef made us feel welcome. They were very accommodating to dietary restrictions. Well worth the visit!Special Features:
- the food was not good.SlumpoDined on 4/16/2014Rice ball apps, good. Minestrone very bland - no salt Eggplant Parm - terrible. Coating completely mushy ( I suspect not made fresh) Tomato sauce was ok Cannoli - filling ok, nothing special but the shell was uneatable. Hard, dry, stale Chef spent a lot of time in dining room, maybe that was part of the problem but we won't be back with so many great places in PG and Monterey
- Did not meet expectationsdissapointedDined on 4/5/2014well received and and impressed with catering to gluten allergy. my meal was at best average/not very flavorful. my wife had ordered the new York Steak which had a lot of gristle. when mentioned to the waiter he dismissed us/received no attention to that or offer to cook another steak. quite disappointing overall.
- hidden gemjawboneDined on 4/5/2014Tucked away back off of PG's restaurant row. You'll be very glad you found it. Everything is delicious and made from scratch. Hosts and staff are charming and fun. Also great options for people with food allergies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely small restaurant, good,connieVIPDined on 4/5/2014Lovely small restaurant, good, reliable, tasty foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.