La Mia Cucina
208 17th Street
Pacific Grove, CA 93950Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
La Mia Cucina
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lamiacucinaristorante.com/
- Phone: 8313732416x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Wednesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Michael Scanlon
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: La Mia Cucina offers two different rooms for parties.
The smallest is the Bacchis which holds up to 24 in the upstairs dining room.
For large parties the restaurant can seat up to 58.
- Private Party Contact: Michael Scanlon 8313732416x
A word from La Mia Cucina
Stroll along 17th St., between Lighthouse and Laurel and you will find one of the Peninsula’s favorite spots, La Mia Cucina. This little jewel, with its fresh ambiance and tantalizing menu, is popular with everyone. The colorful European advertising posters that enliven the walls, are “originals, not reproductions.” That phrase is accurate in describing La Mia Cucina itself. From the comfortable linen white decor, accented beautifully by those turn-of-the-century posters, to the hand-crafted entrees and desserts, everything about La Mia Cucina says fresh and original. Owner Michael’s specialty, his ravioli dishes, are a renowned local favorite, and for good reason. They are hand made, with all the care that only a lifetime of creative food combining can bring. In addition to pasta, La Mia Cucina is known for it's fresh fish and meat specials. The desserts are made in-house by his wife Paula and daughter Michaela, and the service is personal and inviting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
La Mia Cucina - Best Restaurants in Pacific Grove ›
La Mia Cucina reviews from OpenTable diners
20 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (18)romantic (12)special occasion (11)fit for foodies (10)notable wine list (5)good for groups (1)kid-friendly (1)late-night find (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- A KeeperKensnameistooshortDined on 9/12/2014First time diners here - we usually dine across the parking lot at Fandango and had not really noticed La Mia Cucina. Our loss. A knowledgeable and attentive staff who gave us excellent wine (a bold and tasty Barbaresco) and dinner recommendations and returned often to see if we needed anything. Rita's pea soup was excellent, as was my salad. Bread was outstanding! And it kept coming! We both had the lasagna - loaded with cheese and a tasty, tangy sauce. The entire staff (servers, manager, and chef) was friendly and cheerful and seems to genuinely enjoy their jobs. Tough to categorize - there were a broad spectrum of diners - students to families to seniors - a real family atmosphere. We will eat here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a find! We will be back!CaliforniaJimDined on 8/30/2014We read the prior reviews and this place lived up to them all. Reservations a must! We were early diners because later hours were already taken. Thru done luck a party of four drew the only open table after 6:30PM. Good was excellent. My wife is gluten intolerant and they had four choices of pasta she could substitute with ease. Pan fried fish versus breaded was an easy swap. Our food was literally right off the cooking surface, arrived hot and very tasty. The desert tray inveigled the mind and wonderful choices for any palate. We have a vacation home in PG and already planning our next visit to this excellent restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable night - food goodRoDDDined on 8/23/2014The service and small dining room are great for an intimate dining experience. The food was very good. My wife had the patrale sole special and I had the eggplant Parmesan. When I ordered the arrancini as an appetizer, the server asked me if I was vegetarian, since I ordered no meat or fish. Nice touch and considerate intent. Thank you, Richard. Great job. I'm not vegetarian, but I appreciate the thought. The food is not like I have had in Italy. More Americanized-Italian.....too much tomato and sauces. We will be back.Special Features:
- Great service; Great foodAnonDined on 8/22/2014I only visit Pacific Grove once every 2 years, but have made it a point to visit Joe Rombi's La Mia Cucina for my past three trips (over a 4 year span). Over the years the food and service has been consistently great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great neighborhood restaurant!WineandDineDined on 8/17/2014We so enjoyed the ambiance and service . The specials were outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good food, good prices, A+TeresaDined on 8/15/2014La Mia Cucina offers a menu with an attention to locally sourced ingredients combined with old-world (authentic) Italian recipes. Where else can you find a menu with arancini, cannoli, housemade pasta and just caught Monterey Bay fish? The prices are really fair, as entrees include a generous salad or soup. This restaurant just does it right -- from the great service to the little things like excellent foccaccia. The owners are always present, working hard to make sure you enjoy the meal. While this is definitely a neighborhood restaurant, Pacific Grove tourists are smart to find it and enjoy... We sure did. Small place, but doesn't feel crowded at all. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic EveningWeluvfoodDined on 8/9/2014Celebrated our 1 year anniversary and the service was outstanding. The home made sausage in the tortiglioni was amazing and the salmon special was cooked perfectly. Definitely recommend the home made cannoli for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deliciousanabel12Dined on 8/8/2014La Mia Cucina is a wonderful restaurant with delicious food, fabulous service, and friendly staff. It's our "special occasion" restaurant in Pacific Grove!Special Features:
- Nice Italian FareBrianVIPDined on 7/26/2014Italian with a California twist. Friendly service. Serviceable menu. A few glitches here and there, (soup a little tepid, salmon not the freshest) but some nice touches too. I would not rush back but on a busy weekend when reservations are hard to come by, it will work.
- Recent DinerOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 7/24/2014Fabulous food and service. Pastas, meat and fish were outstanding. The personalized service of the owner Chef and his wife the Hostess made us feel so welcomed. Wish I lived closer so I could dine there weekly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderfully welcomingIdodinnerDined on 7/19/2014We came and did the whole experience. We had fantastic appetizers, bottles of wine, meals, and dessert. Overall we were there somewhere in the neighborhood of 4 hours, and the experience was wonderful. Typically you start to feel rushed when you are at a table too long, however, here they only encouraged comfort and enjoyment of our meal. They had a special dessert on the menu that was wonderful apricot cobbler, and we even finished that of with some port. As we sat there even after that enjoying our out of town guests, they continued to check on us and even gave us some free truffles, just because. Fantastic for entertaining special guests.Special Features:
- New Owners, But Still Great FoodPGlocalDined on 6/20/2014If you like a menu with Italian and fresh fish choices, this is the place to come. A locals favorite is now under new ownership, but still maintains high quality food.Special Features:
- Dining excellencePaulSVIPDined on 6/7/2014The restaurant is on a quiet side street. It is a small place. We were welcomed by the owners and seated. They brought amazing bruschetta and the best foccacia bread before our salads.. They have a nice variety of wines on their wine list and we saw one person bring their own bottle so they offer corkage as well. They offered a special salad of beets, arugala and pine nuts that was excellent. My wife had cheese ravioli which she commented was the best she had ever had. I had the lasagna special. It came out boiling hot and after I let it cool a bit was tasty and delicious. We finished our dinner with decaf Cappuccino. The wait staff and owners were attentive and so welcoming. This restaurant is a "not to miss".Special Features:
- JanGVIPDined on 5/23/2014Delicious soups , salads and entrees! Super wonderful service with humor and grace!Special Features:
- The following 103 reviews are from the La Mia Cucina reviews archive.
- Update La Mia Cucinaluv2dineVIPDined on 5/18/2014We have been coming here for years. The food was and still is very good. The crab cake is delicious. The ravioli are handmade and are very good. The veal special was a disappointment in that the veal was totally covered with marinara sauce - which defeats the purpose of paying $29 for veal scallopini. Please go back to simple sauces for the meat specials. Another disappointment was that the long-time chef/owner had sold the restaurant and was not there to make customers feel welcome.Special Features:
- A real find2commensaliDined on 5/14/2014This small, restaurant (perhaps 12 tables) just off Lighthouse Drive on 17th in Pacific Grove has a menu that sounds just like any other Italian restaurant's menu, but - these dishes are wonderfully prepared and presented with love and care. The prices are the same as elsewhere but the quality is better. Go and see for yourself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food underwhelmedNinaDined on 5/10/2014Loved the ambience, the warmth, the portion size, the willingness to make changes - but our dishes just lacked brightness and more intense flavoring. Everything was basically bland. We should have tried the tomato sauced dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RevisitOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/4/2014We always enjoyed Joe Rombies and were pleased to see virtually the same staff and same fine food.Special Features:
- Service & StyleDavidVIPDined on 5/3/2014The waiter & chef made us feel welcome. They were very accommodating to dietary restrictions. Well worth the visit!Special Features:
- the food was not good.SlumpoDined on 4/16/2014Rice ball apps, good. Minestrone very bland - no salt Eggplant Parm - terrible. Coating completely mushy ( I suspect not made fresh) Tomato sauce was ok Cannoli - filling ok, nothing special but the shell was uneatable. Hard, dry, stale Chef spent a lot of time in dining room, maybe that was part of the problem but we won't be back with so many great places in PG and Monterey
- Did not meet expectationsdissapointedDined on 4/5/2014well received and and impressed with catering to gluten allergy. my meal was at best average/not very flavorful. my wife had ordered the new York Steak which had a lot of gristle. when mentioned to the waiter he dismissed us/received no attention to that or offer to cook another steak. quite disappointing overall.
- hidden gemjawboneDined on 4/5/2014Tucked away back off of PG's restaurant row. You'll be very glad you found it. Everything is delicious and made from scratch. Hosts and staff are charming and fun. Also great options for people with food allergies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely small restaurant, good,connieDined on 4/5/2014Lovely small restaurant, good, reliable, tasty foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly and Intimate Italian FareLeanneDined on 4/2/2014Super attentive, friendly service in a cozy dining room. Traditional Italian food is their specialty and their focaccia is made on site. Mid price range for meals served on white tablecloths. Relaxed atmosphere accommodates casual or dressy attire.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classy but not high pricedFrankBalDined on 3/29/2014We had eaten at a highly regarded Pacific Grove restaurant the night before and wanted to match that experience with another great one. We waffled between going to Monterrey, or staying in the neighborhood of our B&B in Pacific Grove, and we made the right choice. I have come to rely on reviews in deciding on a place, not the looks of a place or the published menu. La Mia Cucina is a delightful place with a very engaged and committed owner, Paula. This little gem is hidden away on a side-street to Lighthouse Drive, and the food is out-of-sight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ravioli!iEatFoodDined on 3/22/2014Paula and the team prepared wonderful meals and served them in a great setting. I'll definitely go back. The ravioli was especially fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food at La Mia CucinaFeedmewellVIPDined on 3/19/2014La Mia Cucina has become a new favorite. The food is delicious and the service is friendly and prompt. Paula greets everyone like family and MIke's kitchen turns out flavor to spare. Frequent Monterey visitors, we are now residents. This restaurant is tops on our list of "go back often."Special Features:
- Questo ristorante e Squisito!PaloAltoDinerVIPDined on 3/15/2014Assolutemente! We are English-speaking Americans, but this place inspires a little Italian! Can't believe it has been right under our noses for the past 18 years and we just discovered it. Keegan, our waiter, said they just went on Open Table not long ago- so that's the reason. Sand dabs prepared in unique non-oliy manner. Crab/shrimp cake also unique. Pasta putanesca was outstanding. Deserts are indescribable. Wine good and priced more than fair by the glass. Called friends and they already went here and loved it- recommend petrel and pasta dishes. Support staff and owner take as much pride as the kitchen.Special Features:
- Wished I had stayed at homelove2dineVIPDined on 3/7/2014We won't be going back to this restaurant. Food serviced cold and very disappointing in taste. Atmosphere ok and service was ok but that was about it.
- Joe Rombi's Remains in Good Hands!DWhipDined on 2/23/2014We have been going to La Mia Cucina since Joe Rombi opened it many years ago. WE are pleased to say that the standards for great food with friendly service in a comfortable setting have been preserved after its sale last year. It remains one of our favorite restaurants and we WILL return. (Sunday's visit was for our 25th wedding anniversary!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love, love, love!BillHVIPDined on 2/15/2014What a fantastic night out at La Mia Cucina! Tucked away on a side street in quaint Pacific Grove, this restaurant will NOT disappoint. A fantastic offering of Italian fare that tastes just like it came from Grandma's kitchen. The service was excellent, a perfect offering of local and international wines to pair, and very reasonably priced when all is considered. We can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerrificDolceVIPDined on 2/8/2014We have been to this restaurant and it is consistently good. Great food and friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food and good, friendly,OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 2/6/2014Very good food and good, friendly, service. The place has a nice feel to it. Would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favoritesOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/30/2014We make it a priority to have a meal at La Mia Cucina whenever we are in Pacific Grove. The food is great and the service and atmosphere are wonderful. The fresh sand dabs and pasta dishes are always good and the homemade desserts are excellent. Particularly the strawberry shortcake! It's a great spot to celebrate a special event too!Special Features:
- A Find!!!!GenoaCanadianDined on 11/2/2013We were referred to Joe Rombi's by a client of my wife. Wow, what a great find!! I was raised on homemade Italian food and this is as good or better! The lady that greeted us was very nice and helpful. Our waiter, we have had him twice now, was extremely gracious and helful. Each course took on its own flavors. The calamari, the wedge, the sole and eggplant were beyond great for us! Thank you so much for the pride you take in creating your dishes. BTW, the deli next door is also The Rombi Family..............you need to get there for lunch or morning coffee. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I was celebrating my weddingChiniDined on 10/26/2013I was celebrating my wedding anniversary and there were initially some confusion about my reservation but the rapid actions taken my the management helped to clarify the situation, and I spend a wonderful time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!KatydidDined on 10/18/2013We escaped to Pacific Grove for a romantic weekend! La Mia Cucina upped the romance level by 300%!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was delicious, andnmarieDined on 10/5/2013The food was delicious, and the service was outstanding. The Arancini (italian rice balls with a filling of italian sausage, procuitto, onion, peas & mozzarella, wrapped with rice, breaded and quickly fried, served with a tomato pesto sauce) is a must try. The woman who greeted us (also the owner) was extremely welcoming. We were celebrating our 5 year wedding anniversary, and when we were seated at our table, we noticed wedding/party confetti sprinkled on our table. Very cute! We ended our wonderful meal with homemade truffles, complements of the owner. Overall, a wonderful experience, enjoyable food, and outstanding service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealBryanDined on 9/27/2013My wife and I recently ate at La Mia Cucina for the first time on the advice of a friend. The food and service were both outstanding. Before we left, we made reservations for 8 of us in a few weeks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great Little Spot!GregandLisaDined on 9/15/2013We found La Mia Cucina a few years ago on another visit to Pacific Grove. It's a small gem with seating for no more than 40 people. The place is well taken care of by the hostess, 2 waiters & a busboy(a young man who will undoubtedly own the place some day). The food is excellent. I had the Farfalle with Bolognese & my wife had the Chicken Piccata. The service is warm & friendly. You're treated as if you're a regular, even if it's your first time there. I couldn't recommend this restaurant any more highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.