25 Witherspoon Street
Princeton, NJ 08540Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lamezzaluna.com/
- Phone: 6096888515x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Daily: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Michael Moriello
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, BYO Liquor, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout
- Catering: We can cater parties of all sizes up to 200 people. Consider us for your next birthday, anniversary party or graduation!
- Private Party Facilities: Restaurant is available for private parties from 30 - 70 people.
- Private Party Contact: Michael Moriello 6096888515x
A word from La Mezzaluna
At La Mezzaluna, we bring you an authentic taste of Italy. All regions of a country world renowned for its food are represented on one menu. Chef Michael Moriello, born in Italy and emigrated to the U.S. in 1997. A graduate of the Sorrento Cooking School and honed his skills at top restaurants in both Rome and Naples. Located right in the heart of downtown Princeton, our primary attention is paid to the food & service. Our friendly and knowledgable staff will make you feel like you're dining at home.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
La Mezzaluna reviews from OpenTable diners
58 reviews since May 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (30)fit for foodies (28)special occasion (15)great for lunch (14)good for groups (12)romantic (7)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (2)hot spot (2)notable wine list (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Had hopes but was disappointedAdamDDined on 9/13/20141st time here 9/13/14 - staff/owner friendly and warm, menu choices good - Food disappointing. 3 of us - Chicken rolletini - nice combination and vodka sauce on it was light and good. Chicken was dry and dense - overcooked at prep. Salmon special was awful. Dish was pretty when presented, but shrimp was still raw. Staff took care of quickly, but when brought back Salmon was overcooked - might have been that way before or from sitting under the heater while the shrimp was cooked... Then the flavor was absent - like no spices. My wife has a delicate palette and likes light but flavorful and she had to resort to adding the garlic from the bread oil to give it flavor. The Rigatoni in Vodka sauce was very good.
- Sunday LunchwineanddineVIPDined on 8/24/2014This was very good dining on two of their specials; the salad with avacado and smoked salmon and the pork rissotto with summer vegetables. Great food with the usual great servive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great italian food-friendly placeNassauInnRegularDined on 8/15/2014This place is always a favorite of my wife and I when visiting in Princeton. In all the times we have been there, we have never had a bad meal or a disrespectful wait-staff. The Chef came out to talk with us after we finished our meal. We wanted to know how he prepared the nightly specials we had for both the salad and main course. He was very friendly and open how he prepared the food.Special Features:
- More servers neededBaldeaglesDined on 8/14/2014We arrived to a full restaurant with a party of 20 already there as well as many smaller parties. There was only one server and one assistant for the entire restaurant. After waiting 20 minutes for water, we left and went to a nearby restaurant, Agricola, where we had a great meal with great service. This was unusual for Mezzaluna and a huge disappointment.
- The bestOhLaLaDined on 8/6/2014My first time dining here and it was a wonderful experience. The food preparation and taste was beyond words. The selection was authentic Italian, service impeccable and a must on anyone list of places to dine.Special Features:
- Delizioso!juleezeeDined on 8/2/2014We went there on a beautiful Saturday evening to dine with friends who recommended this gem to us. We are fans now too, and I would have given it the 5 stars it deserves, but for one thing which may or may not be so little. The food and service were outstanding (Emily rocks!), the decor modern minimalist and the place was packed. Now, if one makes a reservation, you don't expect to hear "well, we're all busy now" when you show up at the appointed time, with just a shrug of the shoulder and a pleading look as if to ask "what do you expect me to do?" Well, I expect you to take down my number and call me when our table is ready. Our booth was way too tight for 5 people, but otherwise this is a real foodie gem and we will be back .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will returnJaymzDined on 8/2/2014Me and my fiancée went there for dinner. We had reservations and were seated immediately. Our server came over, read off the specials and began to completely take care of us. As our entire dinner went on, we were taken care of by multiple servers that always seemed to know what was going on with us. The food was excellent, not one single complaint. We enjoyed ourselves immensely and ate hearty. We will be going back for sure.Special Features:
- Satisfied CustomerGarden2KitchenDined on 8/1/2014I have been at La Mezzaluna several times for both Lunch and Dinner. The service has always been excellent and the food is superb. Ingredients used are fresh and the menu is not the typical heavy Italian fare that we see at many local establishments. The Chef has created dishes for sophisticated palettes. The setting is very relaxed and we have never been rushed through our meals. A local BYOB is an absolute plus!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service and foodaew1Dined on 7/31/2014Attentive and informative service, and very obliging in making small adjustments to my risotto, which was very good indeed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch!PrincetonDined on 7/31/2014The food was excellent. I would definitely recommend this place. The specials were all very reasonable and quite delicious. The servers were very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Does not honor your reservationAmorrisonVIPDined on 7/26/2014Reservation at 6:30 for 3 people. There were tables available for 4 and for 2, since there's only 3 of us, the staff tried to fit us at a table for 2 in the middle of the room. I asked for another table and I was told the table for 4 were reserved and they pointed out another table that will be available shortly. I looked over and the people at the table were ordering dessert which means waiting an additional 20+ minutes? This restaurant was not accommodating. Since there are many options in Princeton, we left and had dinner at a different restaurant.
- An Undersung Local HeroEggHeadDined on 7/24/2014La Mezz has really good, well-prepared food--the owner/chef knows how to cook. The offerings are always attractive and make choices difficult--i.e. there are always several things I am eager to order and taste. This is accomplished within a relatively small range of dishes--always a good sign to me that there is imagination in the kitchen.Special Features:
- Tasty DinnerLongIslandLadyVIPDined on 7/18/2014We shared the salad special. It was delicious.- a combo of spinach , almonds ,radicchio ,bacon in a light lemon dressing. We both had the fettuccine in a marinara sauce with mozzarella and sweet red peppers and cherry tomatoes . It was very good. I would recommend this restaurant if you are in Princeton.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/12/2014Food is always amazing, service was great, and a BYOB. The only downfall is that the tables are close together and sometimes it gets loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- restauranthappytimes1Dined on 7/7/2014Great Service and Great Atmosphere. Priced right - well keep coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinner, friendly serviceTessataxDined on 7/6/2014We had an early dinner (6:30) on a Sunday night. We eat in a lot of Princeton and Philadelphia restaurants and in our opinion this is one of the best and most underrated. The server was warm and charming. We had the organic salad, a special eggplant appetizer, gnocchi in pesto sauce with sundried tomatoes and sausage, and the hazelnut and walnut crusted rack of lamb. My husband, a lamb lover, raved about this dish and said it was one of the best he has had. The server was happy to explain how they prepared the dish. We really enjoyed our dinner at La Mezzaluna.
- Nice Sunday dinnerFredSDined on 7/6/2014Lovely evening. Restaurant was not crowded. Veal chop and scallops were both delicious. Service very attentive. BYOB. If you forget wine, nice wine store just next door. We will returnSpecial Features:
- Very GoodwineanddineVIPDined on 6/28/2014I always have a very good experience, here. Between the quality of the food and the friendly staff (Willian and Marco), I always enjoy a nice, leisurely meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JimmyJimDined on 6/23/2014I am a regular at La Mezzaluna, even though it's a 110 miles from where I live. Princeton itself is of course a great attraction, but I am always pleased with the warm welcome I receive when I arrive. Unless there is a party underway, the atmosphere is relatively quiet so that conversation is easily possible. The food is excellent, especially the fish dishes, the risotto, and the salads...not to mention the deserts, especially the chocolate deserts and the creme brulee. Prices are fair, too. And I love it that it's BYO. I'll be back many more times.Special Features:
- One of our favoritesJgtwinsDined on 6/22/2014We love the food and friendly service at La Mezzaluna. Brought friends with us tonight and everyone was also equally happy with our choice. We will continue to return for other great evenings out.Special Features:
- Nice quiet and romantic.DalmauDined on 6/21/2014The staff was very attentive. The daily specials were thoroughly explained. The food was very tasty and well prepared with fresh ingredients. The fact that there is a wine shop next door and it is a BYOB restaurant allowed us to order from the menu and then find an excellent wine to pair with the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodieguyVIPDined on 6/18/2014Service was good but food was too busy ,too many cream sauces.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014Warm and friendly great location, excellent food, interesting variations on Italian recipes. Although we didn't have occasion to take advantage I believe it is BYB. Princeton is delightful however, parking can be a challenge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Princeton eateryEnjoyableDined on 6/14/2014Wonderful experience because of the friendly help & excellent food.Special Features:
- Well cooked. Good serving sizeillgobackDined on 6/8/2014I was surprised to see the pork leg on my plate. Even more surprised that it was evenly cooked and seasoned all the way throughSpecial Features:
- Saturday LunchwineanddineVIPDined on 6/7/2014This was a very good lunch. The lamb chops, which I frequently have, were again done to my preference. That and my salad made an excellent as well as a very affordable lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful graduation lunchLuv2eatDined on 6/3/2014We had a group of 13 for a graduation dinner and everything was delicious fresh, hot and delicious . Great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food and eveningheroVIPDined on 6/2/2014Great place for groups and for a celebration. The staff couldn't have been more gracious and our meals were wonderful. A delightful evening all the way around!Special Features:
- Great Lunch and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/2/2014We had a great lunch and good service. The calamari appetizer among the best we had ever had!. The resturant does not sell wine or alcohol, but have "bring your own policy", as the wine store is next door this is not a problem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressedStanDined on 5/27/2014Food quality was average. Modestly priced. Attentive service, but nothing special
- The following 375 reviews are from the La Mezzaluna reviews archive.
- Out with FriendsExperiencedDinnerDined on 5/25/2014All was fine up until the time my friend's wife meal came and they overcooked her fish after several reminders not to do - the reply came back "this is the way we cook it, would you like something else" - WHATEVER. Cleary we knew then we were in Princeton NJ!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- old favoritescotchontherocksVIPDined on 5/24/2014Mezz has become one of our "standards" that we return to again and again. The food is great, tas is the service, it's a byo, and you chat with your neighbors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place for gatheringPrincetonfriendsDined on 5/24/2014We went with a group of 6 and the service was great, food was fabulous, and were not rushed to give up table even though there was a wait to get in, We all loved it and will return! BYOB awesome!Special Features:
- Good FoodPrafulDined on 5/17/2014The food is always excellent. BYOB works out very well for us. As a suggestion, the restaurant can try to include more vegetarian dishes as well as fish entrees.Special Features:
- AmsieDined on 5/14/2014Overall food was very good. Everyone at the table was pleased. I had the wild boar paparadelle. The sauce was gelatinous and not very tasty although there were large chunks of meat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mothers Day dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/11/2014Had a table for 12 on Mother's Day. Food and service was fantastic. Well done and thank you for a great afternoon! Highly recommend this place!Special Features:
- Met friends in PrincetonceofreedDined on 5/10/2014We had to find a restaurant in Princeton, our halfway meeting spot with friends, so La Mezzaluna seemed to fit the bill. Its Italian with a heavy hand on creamy sauces and cheese--not my favorite, however, even the pickiest of diners can re-create their dishes to satisfy a healthy appetite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerDineAdvisorDined on 5/2/2014Stopped by La Mezzaluna for a dinner. Really enjoyed the salad and risotto. Pork ossi bocco was great.
- Food and service both are superbRandE2VIPDined on 4/19/2014We have been to La Mezzaluna a number of times since our daughter has been a student at Princeton. It has always been terrific and our most recent visit was no exception. When we walked in, they were absolutely jam packed. We were worried that the huge number of people there would adversely affect the dining experience but it did not at all. They had our table ready and waiting and the service from the very helpful waitress was attentive, gracious and prompt. The food was absolutely perfect in every respect. It was clearly prepared with great care and absolutely delicious as well as beautiful in presentation. This is a real gem of a restaurant and we will be back as often as we visit Princeton.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/19/2014We had a very pleasant night. The food was very god the service fantastic and they were very accommodating to any special requests. Highly recommend!!Special Features: