1622 Commercial Drive
Vancouver, BC V5L 3Y4Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://lamezcaleria.ca/
- Phone: 6045598226
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am.
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from La Mezcaleria
La Mezcaleria (mezcal bar and restaurant) born in 2013 in the heart of east side Vancouver, as the first Mezcaleria in Canada offering the finest hand craft mezcales and cocktails coming out from different regions of Mexico. We cook our food from traditional Mexican recipes made with local, organic and sustainable products when available; our menu offers botanas (snacks) and tacos that are meant to be shared with friends and family and chased with a sip of mezcal. We proudly offer vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free options on our menu. Please ask your server or let us know of any allergies. "PARA TODO MAL MEZCAL PARA TODO BIEN TAMBIEN"Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
La Mezcaleria reviews from OpenTable diners
17 reviews since April 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (9)hot spot (9)neighborhood gem (8)vibrant bar scene (5)good for groups (5)late-night find (5)special occasion (3)great for lunch (3)romantic (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Mexico in VancouverCynicalSpinsterDined on 6/28/2014Great Mexican food, authentic and delicious. Service was good, prices were decent, and did I mention that the food was like taking a trip to Mexico? Queso Fundido is a must, the tuna ceviche was fantastic. I'd recommend eating "Mexican Familia Style", just order a bunch of stuff and share it around, you won't be able to go wrong. Definitely recommend going with a few people so you can make a reservation and not have to wait at the door.
- NoisyVancouverDined on 6/25/2014They have live entertainment and talking amongst yourselves is not an option, you have to yell. Food is over rated, we tried 5 dishes and only the lamb was decent. The fish tacos had very little fish but lots of fillers.
- Pricing is not all that Matters....BravoDined on 6/21/2014Prices are fair, but the food was not that good and the service was not very amicable. It looks like you're just one more client. They don't care at all about you while you're waiting for a table. I think the experience starts from the moment you step into the restaurant and ends till you leave.
- So tasty!SarahDined on 5/27/2014They were so accommodating with our reservation and the service was great. The food was AWESOME and so authentic. I can't wait to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over the BridgeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/23/2014Great room, innovative menu, excellent service. Refreshing for the Drive! Our 8 year old says she liked the food, and loved the virgin piña colada! Luckily we made an early reservation, the lineup we passed on our way out looked to be punishing.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/21/2014A high energy atmosphere with great food. Worth the long wait if you enjoy the loud vibe, are in the mood to be part of this youthful and busy big city scene and don't want to have a serious conversation. Has more drinks offerings than food. Service is professional and efficientSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome service and tasty food!Happy2findDined on 5/20/2014Went to La Mezcaleria to celebrate a birthday. Food was very tasty and perfect for sharing. Didn't get to try many of the drinks on offer as it was a weeknight but our server Megan was awesome, very knowledgeable about the menu, traditions and stories behind the food! Would highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 17 reviews are from the La Mezcaleria reviews archive.
- Upscale MexicanGVGonlineDined on 4/19/2014This is a entertaining restaurant -- upscale food and drinks. The atmosphere is busy, noisy, and active. Most times I visited, there were some children next to us. The staff are happy, knowledgable, and accommodating. The food is well prepared, and we have enjoyed sitting at the bar and watching how the chefs prepare the various selections. Everything we tried was well prepared, but the Enchiladas were my favourite. The Cheese fondue appetizer was a highlight for our group. It was my wife's birthday, and the staff provided a delicious complimentary Creme Carmel in recognition of her special day. Good service, good food, and a happy atmosphere are a great mix.Special Features:
- A gem on the Drive!ElenazDined on 4/4/2014I stumbled upon this place about two months ago and I could not be happier that I did!! This is my absolute new place to go to. The staff are not only super friendly, but the vibe of the restaurant is awesome. The food is also pretty amazing!!! Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was amazing....robynkDined on 4/1/2014as was the tequila! Will definitely go back. Vegan and vegetarian friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth your timeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/29/2014I have searched far and wide for good authentic Mexican food in Vancouver and have yet again been very disappointed. After this latest experience, I may have to give up the search entirely. This place was so well rated by others but I have no idea why. The food is not authentic at all. The guac, salsas and the tacos (we tried 4 kinds!) were bland even with the hot sauce - something you would never associate with Mexican food. The ceviches (we ordered both) were....greasy and bland, when they should be refreshing and tangy. In my book, if a restaurant can't make a decent guac and salsa, it can't call itself a Mexican restaurant. To be fair though, service was excellent and the ambiance was fun and hip.
- Second time here and willOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/22/2014Second time here and will continue to come back! Excellent food, tasty cocktails and friendly, fast service. The queso fundido and guacamole are must have starters. The enchiladas clasicas are simple yet delicious and I was very impressed with the flavours of the vegan vege parillada. Be prepared to wait for a table if you don't have a reservation...it's worth it though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything but the noise was greatHansonDined on 2/20/2014Food = awesome Service = very quick and attentive Ambience = loved the kitchen and bar, the only thing is the music was pounding a little too loud for my tastes. It's great that everyone was talking so loudly in the restaurant but in a group of 6 it was a little hard to hear my friends at times from across the table.Special Features:
- Love this place, very easyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/1/2014Love this place, very easy to eat here often. Authentic Mexican food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and service!Vanfoodie1Dined on 1/29/2014Excellent food and service! We had not been to commercial drive for dinner for awhile and enjoyed our experience immenselySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodStreetDined on 1/24/2014I made a reservation a few nights in advance and they had a table ready for us when we arrived at 10pm. It was fairly busy with an upbeat atmosphere. It was late night and most of our group had been drinking so we stuck to the basics of drinks and tacos. We all ordered from the variety of tacos listed on their menu, everyone said the pollo con mole, al pastor and cachete were all very fresh and very tasty. I had a Negra Modelo beer and a few friends bought me a flight of Mezcal for my birthday. The Mexican drinks went perfect with the assortment of great tacos. Overall, great place to be with friends and I'd like to try other items on their menu sometime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mariachi Madness!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/4/2014Loved the fun ambience of this small Commercial Drive Restaurant. Enjoyed sharing all the tasty Mexican fusion dishes with our friends and the lively music and atmosphere made for a memorable evening. It was a great choice for a small group gathering. If you are looking for romantic and quiet, however, I would maybe try it out in a weeknight as weekends are pretty vibrant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food, good ambiencefoodinvanDined on 12/7/2013the food here is excellent - particularly for the completely reasonable prices (at least for the tacos - other menu items are significantly more expensive). drinks were great. service was fine - nothing too special and it seemed like perhaps they needed a few more staff on to adequately cover the tables. ambience up in front is great - i would specifically request to be up there next time - we were put in the back corner and it felt pretty removed from the rest of the restaurant and was pretty drafty/you got a lot of the noise from the dish room. that said, i would definitely go back here.Special Features:
- OverratedOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/26/2013I was so disappointed with La Mexcaleria, since the reviews I have read were glowing. We arrived at 6:30 and received a glass of water 15 minutes later and as I was about to ask for a stronger drink the server raced off into the crowd. Another 10 minutes pass and finally someone comes to take our order for the alcohol! So we waited 30 minutes to get our first drink. We were then finally asked for our food order. We all ordered various tacos. Such a disappointment. Boring to look at and the meat and fish were dry. We left feeling hungry and MUCH lighter in our wallets. Never again.
- Lived up to my high expectationsryangingerDined on 11/16/2013La Mezcaleria came very highly recommended so my expectations were very high. Many highlights on the night. Small, but impressive craft beer list. Enthusiastic, knowledgeable staff. Great atmosphere. We were a group of 5 and we shared a few item to start and then all had tacos for entrees. The made to order guacamole was as good as I have ever had. Queso fundido was a highlight. The flavours developed as it sat at the table. My biggest surprise was the ceviche flight. I didn't think I would enjoy it as much as I did. Not enough room here to break it down, all I can say is order it, you won't be disappointed. Everyone's tacos were superb as well. All and all, the bar was set very high and La Mezcaleria over delivered.Special Features:
- Great food, not so great serviceEliogeeDined on 11/13/2013Very impressed with the food at La Mezcaleria. Cheese was tasty and a good novelty with the hot stone bowl. Ceviches were nice (had the sampler). Everyone enjoyed their meals - tacos, short ribs, etc. Also enjoyed the variety of hot sauces and strong margaritas. Definitely disappointing in the service department though. Our server was fairly attentive, but sour faced and not friendly. I still don't understand why restaurants hire rude people - so common in Vancouver. Maybe they turn on the charm in the interview or are a friend or something, but it doesn't make for a pleasurable dining experience. Might go back but hope they reconsider their servers soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mmmmm mezcal margarita!AmandaDDined on 11/8/2013Great little spot for dinner with friends. You can spend a little (4 tacos for $9) or a lot (lenthy list of tequila & mezcal and many amazing food choices)! The cheese fondue was delish! And the mezcal margarita is a good requirement when visiting a "mezcaleria"!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best birthday so far this year...OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/3/2013The cheese volcano was aaamaazzinnngg!!! We had two - may have been to much - love the tequila and mezcal list - unabashed about no wine in the house - one can always get a bottle to bring from Liberty next door... The food was flavourful and similar to what I have eaten south of the border (Mexico not US) as opposed to bland American take on latin american food. Their salsas were fresh and authentic. Guacamole better than I can make - go figure! Staff was friendly and helpful and didn't laugh at my fractured attempts to speak Spanish. Lots of energy in the place - not for a romantic dinner for two if you like to have quiet conversation.Special Features:
- Atmosphere, tequila and great foodHungryartistDined on 11/2/2013Finding authentic, great food in Van can be tough, especially if you've travelled a lot. This place has some of the best Mexican food in town: the real deal, actually spicy (they offer 4 salsas - go for the habanero one if you like heat) but with creative, refined spins. Brought a gang there and we had a great time, feeling cozy and festive enough to stay till closing. We had the vegan tacos, the carnivore one too, vegetarian portobello plate and the fondue. All excellent. Only downsides were that the cocktails, though creative, were badly balanced - will stick to the straight up tequila next time for which they have an extensive selection. Our server changed half way through and forgot desert. All the same can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.