La Mere Michelle
14467 Big Basin Way
Saratoga, CA 95070Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
La Mere Michelle
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.lameremichelle.com/
- Phone: 4088675272
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch:Wednesday - Saturday: 11:30AM - 2:00PM Brunch: Sunday : 11:00AM - 2:00PM Dinner: Tuesday-Sunday From 5:30
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, French
- Executive Chef: Marc Andre Masek
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have several rooms to accommodate functions from 25 to 125 + persons. We are well known for exquisite weddings, rehearsal, corporate functions, meetings etc.
- Private Party Contact: Michelle Masek 4088675272
- Special Events: Elegnt accomodations for private,corporate functions, rehearsl dinners, weddings, memorial service, meetings, seminars.
A word from La Mere Michelle
Since 1972, this charming upscale French restaurant has an atmosphere of a private home throughout. Located in the heart of fashionable Saratoga, it has been owned and operated by the Masek family almost four decades! Renowned for its attention to service and excellent cuisine, la Mère Michelle is a superb combination of traditional ambiance with every modern amenity. Each dining area is decorated in a different style to give an overall impression of comfort and refinement.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
La Mere Michelle reviews from OpenTable diners
12 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (6)romantic (5)fit for foodies (3)notable wine list (3)neighborhood gem (2)kid-friendly (2)good for groups (2)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Excellent menu.zie3Dined on 8/23/2014Excellent restaurant if you looking for a reminder of the old world. Several authentic French and Austrian dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingDined on 8/2/2014The staff was professional , friendly and delightful. The food was very disappointing. The onion soup and escargots were delicious. The special, cream of celery soup, was nothing more than a green broth . Our main meal was not good at all. I had the lobster and it was so salty I could barely eat it. My husband had the rib eye and it was fatty and overdosed with sauce. We will not be going back to this once fabulous restaurant.Special Features:
- La Mere MichelleOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014Excellent French food. We've been patrons for over 30 years.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/11/2014We had the worst service ever. It took 20 minutes to get bread, butter and water. They had 2 wait staff for the entire dining room. We had a 6:30 reservaation and they were out of several dishes already. The kitchen was backed up and our 1 appetizer came with our dinner and was overcooked and we could hardly eat it. I would not ever go back.
- George2Dined on 5/11/2014We came in this restaurant 4-th time for diner. Does it take more explanation, than this! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HorribleNatashaSDined on 5/11/2014The whole experience was horrible. We came for Mother's day branch 7 mins late. The owner made us feel that we are not welcome. We waited 25 mins to be sited. We waited about an hour to get our orders. The quality of the food was below acceptable and significantly over prized. I would not recommend anybody this place.
- Mothers' Day BrunchlovegoodfoodDined on 5/11/2014The food was very good and the server very friendly and funny. However, the service was slow and the food overpriced.
- tired restaurantdine4pleasureVIPDined on 5/10/2014The restaurant is old, tired and uninspiring. It needs a major cleaning, de-cluttering and fresh paint. The menu is tired, the bread was stale. and while the salmon was edible, it was difficult to even find an item I wanted to order on the menu. The waiter was charming, but he had little to work with.
- The following 116 reviews are from the La Mere Michelle reviews archive.
- wonderful placelovenewfoodDined on 5/3/2014I was looking for a new place to try with my boyfriend for my birthday. They are so friendly and kind and the food was so great. I would definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre at bestOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/22/2014Based on the Open Table reviews, we were hoping for at least a moderately good dining experience. Unfortunately, the food was very disappointing -- standard fare for a neighborhood restaurant from the 1970s, with no imagination at all. The decor was very kitschy, with a single song playing somewhat obtrusively on an infinite loop and very dated furnishings. The service was reasonably attentive, but could not make up for the very standard food, relatively poorly prepared. We will not go back. Moreover we are unlikely to trust Open Table reviews unless corroborated by another source.
- Lovely Post-Valentine's Day GetawayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/16/2014Quiet Sunday night dinner after Valentine's day, right before the Washington's Birthday Holiday. The lone waiter was impeccable in his presentation and reccomendations; a true professional. Exquisitely rich entrees and perfectly prepared sides. The famous Onion soup is beef-stock based, although it doesn't need to be. Wine list is broad, and the staff knows what to pair with our order. Very good; we'll be back.Special Features:
- Good food; rude waiterOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/14/2014Food was very good though not sure worth the price. Waiter seemed annoyed to be there. Dropped silverware in water and did not even bother to replace water. We had to beg for cappuccino instead of regular coffee. It almost ruined a special valentines dinner. And for over $200 dollars that is unacceptable.
- Many menu items are very goodfood4funVIPDined on 2/14/2014Many menu items are very good (e.g., cheesecake, lamb), but the mushroom and prawn appetizer has far too much sauce. It drowns the taste of the mushrooms and prawns.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well done, but not exceptionalDaveRavedDined on 2/14/2014The ambience was nice and quiet, reserved, maybe a little sedate. This was welcomed departure from other good restaurants that are spoiled by poor acoustics and noisy clientele. The food selection was ordinary,traditional and presented in a reasonable fashion. The menu was limited to a Valentine's Day special price fix and designed for quick turnaround. It is our sense that it was overpriced, and will not be necessarily be a favorite to return to, OR, we'll try it again in the future.Special Features:
- My favorite spotHungryLadyDined on 2/12/2014I have been a fan of La Mere Michelle since they first opened in the'60's in a building across the street. As our family was growing up, it was a special occasion restaurant for birthdays and anniversaries. Now that I am a widow, it is the restaurant of choice for my friends and me after the Symphony matinee or with another friend for an occasional lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Find!HappyDined on 1/19/2014This is a quaint family-run French restaurant. The owner, Michelle, came out to our table and served us coffee and chatted with us and exchanged stories. Her son is the chef and he made us wonderful eggs benedict at Sunday brunch. We were given fresh muffins before we even received our meals. The soup of the day tasted fantastic. I think it was asparagus with chili. It was spicy and yummy. My father had the Bay of Fund Scallops. The only thing he didn't eat was the design on the plate! We loved the food, but especially the atmosphere. The decor included French paintings and decorations.. The owner knew many of the patrons by name. I wish this restaurant was in Santa Cruz where I'm from, but I will definitely make the drive again!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinner!wonderstefVIPDined on 1/15/2014My date took me to this restaurant for my birthday. The menu on line is outdated (I thought I'd hit the jackpot when I saw foie gras!) but nevertheless the food was quite good! It is a little quiet, not too many other diners but that made for a nice experience. I would definitely visit again. The service was very pleasant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A hidden gemLaurentDined on 1/11/2014Well, from the ouside, this restaurant doesn't seem what it is really : A very good spot for good food and good wine. We've be so nicely welcomed, appreciable to feel special in an natural way (not forced at all). The service is great, fast with good advice. You feel they just enjoy serving great meal without any other thought. The dinning room is large, quiet. They also have a "ball room". They used to play music during dinner in it. The style is old fashioned, around the 60's but better to have that retro style with amazing food without pretension rather than the opposite as it's often the case. So, definitively to recommend. P.S.: The owners are Canadian, been in US for so long... but they still speak a very good French.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great value for French food!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/11/2014Loved the restaurant. Took our parents out for their birthdays and they so enjoyed their meals and the quiet -- hard to find nowadays in any restaurant. So nice to meet the owner, too!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet diningStanfordFanVIPDined on 1/4/2014We enjoy bringing friends to La Mere Michelle because the food is consistently well prepared and delicious and it is always quiet enough to carry on conversations at your table without raising your voice to talk over background music or the sound of voices from other tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow service. Only a few tablesLosGatosDinerVIPDined on 12/31/2013Slow service. Only a few tables were occupied, so there was no excuse for slow service. Decor has not been updated in years - if ever. Strong smell of smoke - probably from when people were still allowed to smoke in a restaurant. Food needs some work too. This place could be a nice restaurant, but it needs to be updated and the menu and food need to be updated.
- A lovely, elegant restaurant,pita1Dined on 12/15/2013A lovely, elegant restaurant, with upscale ambience, full bar, and extensive menu to accommodate everyone's tastes. Service professional and friendly. Still has a couple of TV monitors in bar area, but noise level is happily quiet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We really like the ambienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/10/2013We really like the ambience of the restaurant. The service was outstanding as usual, they go out of their way to make sure we enjoyed our visit. My wife was a little disappointed in her meal, she had the scallops and was not very happy with the flavoring. We will return for another visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently quality over the yearsAnnetteFDined on 12/6/2013Every time we go to this restaurant I remember how nice it is not to have to ask my dinner partners to repeat what they say or scream over the table next to us. The service is always so wonderfully freindly and the food is good. Of course it is not the most up to date interior but if you want a relaxing evening with good food and service, it is a great idea!Special Features:
- Renewing acquaintances.EleanoreVIPDined on 12/4/2013I have dined at this restaurant many times over the last few years. This was my first time back for dinner. It was superb. We enjoyed EVERYTHING. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old world charm.RomantenDined on 11/27/2013The food was out of this world. The service was perfect. Our waiter didn't rush us and was always there to top off our wine. This place has been there for so many years and their business is a lot slower than some of the newer NOISY restaurants. However, it is really good and the portions were a good size, not like some French restaurants that have more plate than food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A "Unique" ExperienceRoja669VIPDined on 10/26/2013This was our first time at this restaurant, and we'd heard good things about it for years. The food was very good and a good value, and the wine list was great and reasonable as well. I'd describe the food as home-style French. The server was very attentive and nice, and the owner was very friendly and hospitable. The only thing that was a bit disappointing was the ambiance of the restaurant. It looks like it's stuck in the 80s, so it felt a bit cheesy. With just a few improvements to the carpet, paint, furniture and decor, and getting rid of the tacky plastic place mats, it could be very charming. I don't think I'd go again for a special occasion, but it would be great for a casual weeknight dinner or Sunday brunch.Special Features:
- Outstanding!scastroVIPDined on 9/26/2013Pleasantly surprised but great food and outstanding service! Older restaurant with a very attentive staff - character and quality, something hard to find with a bunch of highly financed restaurants these days only concerned about making a quick buck.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Wonderful Blend of Old and NewOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/6/2013While Nouveau Cuisine restaurants have become the rage, anyone with a love of French food still longs for those wonderful bites of French-Onion Soup, dripping with crusty bread and cheese. La Mere Michelle is able to provide both. Still serving the old with the new, the chef at La Mere Michelle provides menu choices fit for most tastes and budgets. For a real treat, do try their signature French Onion soup - it's the best I've eaten and goes well with their Caesar salad. Their veal is as it should be, tender enough to cut with a fork. If I were to make one improvement, it would be to their Marsala sauce which is a bit too dark and thin, yet the wonderful flavor is there and I would not hesitate to order it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Dining ExperienceReichDined on 8/31/2013Great meal with fantastic service. Highly recommend for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Restaurant in Bay ArealittleoneDined on 8/29/2013La Mere Michelle offers a fine dining experience like no other. Mo, our wiater is outstanding, serving my wine as I enjoy it. Every dish is presented professionally and timely - if we are having a leisurely meal, we don't feel rushed; if we are famished, delivery is spot on. The highight of our dining experience is Michelle - she is an exemplary hostess and welcomes every patron warmly and positively. She has the keen ability to know when to stop and chat, and when not to - obviously someone who has been in the restaurant business for many years. Mark is an excellent chef; modifies entrees to our preference and delivers quality offerings. I would recommend this restaurant to individual patrons as well as group or business parties.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ClassySaharaDined on 8/24/2013Everything about this restaurant is classy: the interior, the food and the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem in SaratogaOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/5/2013A dear friend of mine gave me a gift certificate to La Mer MIchelle. My husband and I decided to use it on our anniversary. We were greeted and welcomed by the owner, seated in a beautiful patio area and served a fantastic dinner by a incredibly attentive and nice waiter. The overall experience was delightful. The food was delicious and I highly reccomend this wonderful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Schnitzel in a French restaurant ?WoodfarbDined on 6/29/2013The Wiener Schnitzel was superb. Delicate veal, thinly pounded, with understated, moist breading. True to its Austrian translation: a veal "cutlet" (schnitzel) done in Viennese (Wien) style. Thanks Mark and Mother Michelle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We split the escargots andStanfordFanVIPDined on 6/1/2013We split the escargots and Caesar Salad to start - both delicious. They had wonderful warm bread to dip in the garlic butter. I had salmon, my husband had sole - both great. We split a coffee flavored chocolate dessert - can't remember its name, but it was a delicious ending to the meal. We appreciate a place that is quiet enough to have a personal conversation at your own table without shouting.Special Features:
- Special occasion place to dineDineDay1LoseDay2Dined on 6/1/2013Food is flavorful and consistently prepared well-- YUM!! Nice resturant for a special occasion when an intimate setting is desired.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Classic GemStringsaverDined on 4/30/2013La Mere Michelle is located in downtown Saratoga. Lovely carpet and art work. Tables are set in traditional linens. The china is painted and embossed. You are often greeted by La Mer Michelle herself. The menu is very broad and is pan European. The sauces are fabulous. On our most recent visit my wife had the Chicken Saltimboca which was delicious. I had the special Filet Mignon of the day served with a light garlic and butter sauce, cooked to perfection and was so tender one had only to point the knife in its general direction. We finished with the Bread Pudding which was excellent, complimented by a fantastic home made lemon chiffon ice cream. Wonderful, attentive table service. This place deserves to be filled every night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ValentineDineInSpainDined on 2/14/2013On Valentine it was a special Dinner menu and no other options (busiest day of the year the reason for it), so we just left to the Florentine and choose whatever we liked spending twice less in total. Besides based on special menu the cuisine was not exactly French - example mashed potato and gravy with stake never considered to be a part of French cuisine. Some other time but not on Valentine, casual lunch perhaps.
- We met some friends for lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/19/2013We met some friends for lunch on a Saturday and had not been to this restaurant for quite some time. We were so impressed with our server, her friendliness and enthusiasm. She made great recommendations and made us feel like old friends! Will definitely go back for a special meal.Special Features:
- Avoid this place. Food isJimDDined on 12/29/2012Avoid this place. Food is OK but way overpriced for what is delivered. No wine by the glass service except for one wine they choose at $12 a glass! Service is plate carrying at its worst.