167 Mulberry Street
New York, NY 10013Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.lamelarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2124319493
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Daily: 11:30am - 3:30pm; Dinner Nightly: 3:30pm - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call or email with all catering inquiries.
- Entertainment: We have live entertainment on Saturday and Sunday evenings.
- Cross Street: Grand Street
- Public Transit: Take the 6 train to Spring Street, the N & R train to Prince Street, the D & B trains to Grand Street, the Q, N, R, 6 & J trains to Canal Street, or the F, D, B, M & 6 trains to Broadway Lafayette.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There is convenient metered and free street parking available (read the signs carefully), as well as a lot around the corner from La Mela on Broome Street with hourly and daily rates.
A word from La Mela
La Mela has been delighting people with delicious and generous portions of Italian food for over twenty five years. La Mela is famous as a staple of Mulberry Street in New York's Little Italy. We have a full a la carte menu of mouthwatering dishes and desserts, as well as the family style dining that has made us famous for delicious and plentiful food. Come down, have fun, and make yourself at home. We'll treat you like family. Family we like.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
La Mela reviews from OpenTable diners
75 reviews since April 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (49)great for outdoor dining (36)neighborhood gem (32)kid-friendly (28)special occasion (20)great for lunch (15)fit for foodies (15)late-night find (12)romantic (10)scenic view (9)great for brunch (4)hot spot (4)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Big portionsBabysDined on 8/24/2014The food is delicious and the portions are big! I totally recommend sitting outside for people watching in the summer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just like I remember it--awesome!NostalgicDiningDined on 8/18/2014My family used to go to La Mela when I was in college and graduate school, and I wanted to recreate our experience with my own students, many of whom have moved to NY in the last year or two. A group of 9 of us ended up meeting, but we only had reservations for 8. The staff never raised a concern but grabbed utensils for the extra person so she could eat from our family style meal. There was more food than all of us could have eaten over two days, and it was just as delicious as I remembered it to be. We were there longer than the 3 hour limit the restaurant requests, but again the staff did not appear concerned, nor did they rush us. It was a wonderful experience, and I'm so glad I got to introduce La Mela to some of my former students.Special Features:
- Disappointedphillygirl19Dined on 8/11/2014LaMela was reccommended to me by a friend. I passed many nicely decorated, crowded, upbeat restaurants on my way to La Mela. We went into the main dining room which was practically empty, and was taken through the kitchen into a dumpy back room that looked more like an outdated pizzeria than the quaint restaurant I was expecting. Although I hated the atmosphere, I stayed and gave it a chance hoping the food was better than the ambiance. The waiter was rude from the minute we sat down. (we were a party of 8, but not rowdy or obnoxious) He acted like we were putting him out by just being there. The food was good, but took a very long time and did not make up for the horrible dining experience.
- Taste of Italydiner56Dined on 8/6/2014Good service, good food. Menu has a lot of offerings. Serving sizes are plentiful Up. Will definitely returnSpecial Features:
- Like Sunday at Gramma's!MarkCisVIPDined on 8/4/2014Skip the pretentious high-priced restaurants along Mulberry Street and head straight to La Mela. The entire staff is about as accommodating as they come. If 'Butch The Hat' is there...ask him about all the pics of visitors on the wall! The veal is as good as it gets! Prices are very reasonable & portions are huge. A nice Italian 1.5L bottle of house wine is only $28! Definitely a Little Italy favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for groupsConmanVIPDined on 8/3/2014I had a group of 24 people, on a Sunday night. It was fantastic, great service great food, perfect family style italian restaurant.Special Features:
- Memorable occasionMiriDined on 8/2/2014We took our parents here for a special occasion. The food was delicious and the outside dining was an added plus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed DinerEatoutmore8Dined on 8/1/2014I recently ate there with my friend and 2 teenagers. The service was horrible. We had to seat ourselves and waited almost 10 minutes to get a drink. We had to ask the busboy to get our waiter numerous times. The place wasn't even busy..there were only 4 other occupied tables at the time. Although They did continue to open $7 small bottles of water when we asked for tap water. The food was bland,greasy and I felt they like they compensated by giving large portions hoping it would make people happy. While passing the kitchen on the way to the rest room it looked filthy as was the bathroom. STAY AWAY!!!Special Features:
- Worst place in Little ItalyLuvItalianDined on 7/31/2014A friend recommended this place, but of all the cool places we walked by, we were sorry we didn't eat elsewhere. Chicken Marsala came with no pasta (!) and 2 lbs of mushrooms in a gravy sauce. The fettuccine Alfredo was the worst I've ever tasted, heavy on butter, the spaghetti meatballs just average. Atmosphere is outdated.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/29/2014This is our Little Italy "go to" place. The food is always right on and the service is always great. They don't rush you and it is casual and you feel like you are eating in someone's house. Very nice. Been going here since 1997.Special Features:
- Outstanding as alwaysepdouglasDined on 7/20/2014We go to La Mela once a year when driving thru NYC on a summer trip. Always great authentic food in the heart of Little Italy, at a fraction of the cost of nearby swankier restaurants. Attentive and swift service, too. Don't miss it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My "go to"OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/20/2014When I'm in the mood for a mixture of Italian food, that famous Little Italy Charm, and a generous portion of food I head to La Mela. I've been eating here since I was a kid and I'm finding it's a great place to take family and friends when they visit NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KnoxyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/20/2014Ate here many moons ago-was an absolute riot. Once we were asked if we were done and said no. They grabbed our bottles of wine and led us into thei alleyway with crates of tomatoes and green peppers. We tosted to the stars sitting on a picnic bench in our coats (it was October). Today, not so much fun. Food-eh and service friendly but not attentive. Felt like we were a nusance once a 12 person party arrived (we were 5). In the end we had to chase our waiter around the restaurant to get our check. Won't go back.
- Always Excellent!BLLLDined on 7/17/2014I have not been to La Mela in about 8 years. It is just as great as I remember. Huge portions of fantastic Italian. Cannoli to die for!Special Features:
- After 20 years it is still a gem!JoeCDined on 7/5/2014One of the BEST places in NYC. If you have not been there RUN and go now!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Celebration :-(maremarev628Dined on 6/28/2014I have been a customer at La Mela for over 20 years. The food was great.. the service was great... but placing a table of 5 with reservations right next to the kitchen with the dishes smashing and the door opening and closing was not pleasant to say the least. I have been accustomed to a grand welcome with lots of happy faces whenever arriving at La Mela but not this time the Maitre d' could have cared less whether we were there or not.. Just not a good feeling really disappointed. When choosing the noise level under ratings I would not say energetic I would have to say it way to loud where it actually hurt my ears.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!Lexie13Dined on 6/22/2014Amazing food and service, as usual! I highly recommend this place. Sit outside and get a bottle of red.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average ItalianCtCattenDined on 6/21/2014The waitstaff really pushes the family style dinner. The advantage is that you get a variety of things to taste. The disadvantage is that the food is just average, and you're better off just ordering what you want. The strolling singer is more annoying than entertaining, and knows only a few songs. I would not recommend this restaurant to a foodie.
- Great Spot in Little ItalyBethzVIPDined on 6/21/2014We had a large group (2 families) and it was a great way to get a table in the bustling and busy Little Italy. Great simple italian food, the kids loved it.Special Features:
- Great FindScottsdalecplDined on 6/20/2014Went on a recommendation from a friend ....the food was excellent, there was no push to finish and our waiter was one of the best waiters we have ever had we are both disappointed we don't recall his name so we could mention him by name, the next day we had lunch down the street at "John Gotti's favorite place " there was no comparison in food quality or service...they forget to tell you Gotti's has not walked those streets since 1990Special Features:
- OK but not exceptionalMikailDined on 6/16/2014Our meal for 5 people at La Mela was OK. We ordered an assorted pasta dish, veal scallopini and aparagus parmesan. Ceratainly nothing wrong with the food and the service was good but frankly I was expecting more from a restaurant in the heart of Little Italy in NYC. I've definitely had better italian meals in other similarly priced local restaurants and comparing the family style experience at Tony's D'Napoli to La Mela I'd chose Tony's every time.Special Features:
- Family Style DiningnorinpaDined on 6/12/2014If you want a lot of bang for your buck go for the family style dining #2. With tax and tip it is approximately $45 per person, relatively inexpensive for NYC. The food is too die for. It is a 5 course meal that does not let anyone go home hungry!Special Features:
- Nothing fancy, but really goodValueVSDealVIPDined on 6/11/2014This was my 2nd time here and it is consistently good food. Its a large place considering it takes up 3 storefronts so its ideal for a group. The decor is very plain and outdated but it makes for the old school Little Italy feel. The prosciutto with cheese platter was excellent and plenty for two people. I had a pasta dish that was a mix of 3 pastas but for $19 kind of pricey. Had i not had the prosciutto then I still wouldve been hungry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- one of the best Italian restaurantguyfDined on 6/9/2014amazing place know the place for 12 year and every time i fly to the US i must stop in New York specially to eat in this restaurant. you can feel in the food the the chef is cooking with his hurt like he was cooking for his family. don't miss the place. One of the best Italian restaurant I ever eat and i eat in a lot a round the world that were 3 times more expensive then you but not getting close to your level one thing I can ask, please do the family dinner also for one person. usually I'm traveling alone and I in a big trouble when I don't have anyone eat with me the family dinner. try to do something that will be suitable also for business men that are traveling alone for business and want to enjoy also the special family style menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DiGaDined on 6/7/2014It is in avery vibrant neighborhood. The staff was very co-operative and flexible, food was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RTB11Dined on 6/7/2014We go to La Mela anytime we are in New York. Love sampling all the great dishes in the 5 course meal if we can pace ourselves well enough to get through it. Friendly service.Special Features:
- Good foodLocalVIPDined on 6/6/2014Always reliable good food. It was busy so unfortunately they forgot to bring out the leftovers. :(Special Features:
- Favorite old school Italian in NYCOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/6/2014My family has eaten at La Mela every time we have visited NYC. We all love it. True authentic Italian that tastes amazing. We would highly recommend it. It's not fancy, but it tastes amazing and is a great neighborhood staple.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bland Italian food!AryaVIPDined on 5/31/2014Great service with a very kind server. Cheap for NYC standard. However, food was bland and not flavorful! There are many choices in little Italy and I would not recommend to go to this place if you were going to pick only one restaurant in little Italy!Special Features:
- Pampered in Little ItalyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/2014What an experience! We were dining outside, in the middle of Little Italy. A mini parade went by, bunches of local people gathered in the street to chat, happy tourists were strolling by. The service was excellent, the manager constantly checked on us to make sure we were well taken care of, clean plates for every course. Everyone was very friendly and seemed like they liked their jobs. We had more than enough food - had 2 bags of leftovers that we gave to a homeless lady because we didn't have refrigeration for them. The friends we brought were so pleased - they kept saying, you're kidding - there are more courses?! When we asked our kids what their favorite part of our weekend in NYC was, my son said, "the Italian restaurant!"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Little Italy Gem!luv2dineinbuffaloDined on 5/30/2014Recommended to me by a friend who lives in NYC. This place serves a wonderful family style meal at a reasonable price! (Also offers a la carte dishes as well) We dined family style and ordered the 4 course meal. There were 4 of us and we ordered 2, 4 course meals. 1, 4 course meal would have been plenty! We couldn't finish it all. By the time we were ready for 4th course we were so full. Our waiter stopped our 4th course in the kitchen and allowed us to downgrade to 2, 3 course meals. FABULOUS! La Mela offers outdoor seating as well as indoor. We sat outside so we could enjoy the bustle of this quaint historic neighborhood. The staff is friendly and fun. I highly recommend this restaurant! Another plus is they take reservations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- meh...OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/24/2014The food was decent, but not great. Pasta was decent, meat was tougher than I expected, portions were generous. For two, I thought our bill was high, with only 1 beer. And oddly, no one offered me a 2nd beer.
- Thank youck87Dined on 5/23/2014The food is simple but Good. Prices are cheap for NY standards. Everybody was very nice and professional. I can only recommend it. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- moms dayalexVIPDined on 5/11/2014thank you to all the food was great my wife also loved it best part for me my son paidSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No goodSkywalkerDined on 5/11/2014Had lunch w 2 friends. Received no service. Food so so.
- not just good foodLocalVIPDined on 5/7/2014we usually come for the great food. the service is hit or miss but this time our server was excellent. very attentive and courteous. great job guys!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was decentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/4/2014We still had to wait awhile for the table, and the service was a little slow...long wait between courses, I would go back and order a la carte, not the prefixe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnthonyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/3/2014the price fixed menu is the way to go. they always give excess of what your table needs, always very generous. we've been there numerous times and always have a great night.Special Features:
- Quality Little Italy Family DiningastonefieldDined on 5/2/2014La Mela offers a la carte and family style dining. We sampled both. The bolognese sauce was excellent. The family style is very good with a nice selection of items and ample quantities.
- The following 469 reviews are from the La Mela reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/27/2014Se web y with out Kids late at night and have a great time!!! Food was delicious!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.