167 Mulberry Street
New York, NY 10013Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.lamelarestaurant.com/
- Phone: (212) 431-9493
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Daily: 11:30am - 3:30pm; Dinner Nightly: 3:30pm - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call or email with all catering inquiries.
- Entertainment: We have live entertainment on Saturday and Sunday evenings.
- Cross Street: Grand Street
- Public Transit: Take the 6 train to Spring Street, the N & R train to Prince Street, the D & B trains to Grand Street, the Q, N, R, 6 & J trains to Canal Street, or the F, D, B, M & 6 trains to Broadway Lafayette.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There is convenient metered and free street parking available (read the signs carefully), as well as a lot around the corner from La Mela on Broome Street with hourly and daily rates.
A word from La Mela
La Mela has been delighting people with delicious and generous portions of Italian food for over twenty five years. La Mela is famous as a staple of Mulberry Street in New York's Little Italy. We have a full a la carte menu of mouthwatering dishes and desserts, as well as the family style dining that has made us famous for delicious and plentiful food. Come down, have fun, and make yourself at home. We'll treat you like family. Family we like.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
La Mela reviews from OpenTable diners
67 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (41)neighborhood gem (38)great for outdoor dining (19)fit for foodies (19)kid-friendly (16)special occasion (15)great for lunch (13)late-night find (11)hot spot (7)scenic view (4)romantic (3)vibrant bar scene (2)great for brunch (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- love this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014if you're in a group and looking for a fun, energetic place to eat, drink and laugh, this is the place for you. Highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedMichelleDined on 11/15/2014We booked our table well in advance and were put in front of the kitchen. The waiter was very hard to understand, although he was attentive. The food was not what we would expect for a Little Italy restaurant, boring w/little flavor. We were disappointed to say the least.Special Features:
- Fun, casual place.LoveNYCDined on 11/10/2014Whenever I'm in NYC I try to make it to La Mela's for a great time. This was no exception. My friend and I had the 3 course dinner and it was delish! The service was very good also. We ended up talking with 3 men at the table next to us and they shared a wonderful dessert. It's just that kind of place, very relaxed and very friendly. Add a few glasses of the nice red house wine and it's like a party. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- likehomeDined on 10/31/2014My husband and myself took his brother, wife and son, who came from Maine for marathon. The food is excellent, the atmosphere was comfortable, the waiters were very nice and helpful! We choose family dining and where able to start with one course and add as we went along. They definitely serve enough to go around. I love it! Being italian american, and raised it was like eating at the table at home with the family. We loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- little ItalyLDA173Dined on 10/30/2014Kitschy place in little Italy that confuses large servings with quality cooking. A disappointment.
- An absolute blastOregonianDined on 10/24/2014Food and service outstanding, fun atmosphere, one of the best nights of our stay in NYC. Ask to meet Butch the Hat. He's so much fun to talk with! Family style is great - plenty of food, lots of variety, good price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun restaurant in Little ItalyGSYJRDined on 10/21/2014We had a good meal here while in NYC last week. It is hard to know which restaurant to pick in Little Italy, but we picked this one because it seemed kid friendly. Good food, good portion size, not incredibly expensive (based on NYC pricing). We enjoyed meeting "Butch the Hat" who is a regular at this place too. We would go back when in NYC.Special Features:
- Excellent TimemikeypDined on 10/18/2014I am a semi regular at La Mela as I go once a month or so either solo or with groups of family or friends, and regardless of the trip, the food and service at La Mela is consistently excellent. Being Italian, I grew up in the 'family style' tradition of eating, so I am very comfortable in that space. The staff at La Mela is always attentive and accommodating regardless of the size of party. My "crew" and I have had almost every entree on the La Mela list, from the Spaghetti and Meatballs to the Seafood Linguine and no dish has ever disappointed. The pasta is cooked perfectly every time and the sauces taste just like grandma is in the kitchen cooking. An amazing experience as always!Special Features:
- Delicious food.FrankVIPDined on 10/11/2014Consider an excellent restaurant service and food.Special Features:
- First time patronConcreteJimmyDined on 10/11/2014I was told about the place for about a year now, so upon arriving the atmosphere and the table seating Made me apprehensive but... That all quickly changed once I sat down and started enjoy the food The food was delicious, Service was great you got large portions Let's just say when we left we were more than pleased A true unique delicious slice of Little ItalySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014Always dine here when in NYC!!! It is part of my tour when bringing family and friends, it is like eating at home only the food is MUCH better and the service is GREAT. The feel of home is all around after a busy day and dressing up is not a big deal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible serviceSiglorDined on 10/3/2014Not too much to say about La Mela, the food was good but the service was terrible, very unprofessional and rude, one time only one waiter was in the room and all the other were outside chatting. This was my first time but I will not be back to this restaurant.
- 'Red and white room' best.time2eatDined on 9/27/2014A few years ago we took 16 people here and sat in the first room with the red and white tables. The ambience was much better than in the third room next to the kitchen. I raised a bunch of boys so the chaos didn't bother me but my friends didn't like the noise level. The food and wine were excellent, especially the vegetable dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ZiggyDined on 9/25/2014Right in Little Italy (Mulburry & Grand). Bustling place with an authentic Italian 'feel'. Food was very good and portions are large so great for sharing. Prompt service and a fun place. Would highly recommend. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- so glad I found this spot!foodiejunkieDined on 9/23/2014I was looking for a place in Little Italy for some authentic family style dining. La Mela was perfect. I never opened a menu as our waiter asked if we would like for him to bring out a great meal. His choices were spot on and the food was just fantastic. Authentic Italian sauces and wonderfully grilled veggies. I will be back the next time I'm in NYC. Go to LA Mela for great food and wonderful service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never Got InJennandRandyVIPDined on 9/21/2014Our reservation was on the same day as the San Gennaro Street Festival. We could not get near the place. We are from Long Island and came in specifically to visit the 9/11 Memorial & Museum and go to this restaurant. Could not even get down the street. Chose it b/c we had family in from Florida who remembered it from over a decade ago. Very disappointing. :(Special Features:
- Yum!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/18/2014Great food, great service - even on a Thursday night during San Gennaro!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a fun and delicious placeOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 9/17/2014Years ago, we were walking on Mulberry Street looking for a place to eat. At each and every restaurant we passed, we were told that their food was the best and that we should eat there. At La Mela, we were told that we did not want to "eat like a tourist" at the other restaurants and that we should eat there. We were glad that we listened and have enjoyed the food ever since. Delicisio.Special Features:
- What a NightHappyDinerDined on 8/29/2014Very few places can boast the authentic Italian that La Mela can. We sat down street side early on a Friday night and relaxed to an accordion playing wonderful music, a great table wine in a bottle too big to finish and a waiter - who personalized the menu to suit our tastes. What a great experience. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Big portionsBabysVIPDined on 8/24/2014The food is delicious and the portions are big! I totally recommend sitting outside for people watching in the summer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, too muchAMRSantCugatDined on 8/23/2014Food was good but we ordered too much. Very nice Italian style decoration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just like I remember it--awesome!NostalgicDiningDined on 8/18/2014My family used to go to La Mela when I was in college and graduate school, and I wanted to recreate our experience with my own students, many of whom have moved to NY in the last year or two. A group of 9 of us ended up meeting, but we only had reservations for 8. The staff never raised a concern but grabbed utensils for the extra person so she could eat from our family style meal. There was more food than all of us could have eaten over two days, and it was just as delicious as I remembered it to be. We were there longer than the 3 hour limit the restaurant requests, but again the staff did not appear concerned, nor did they rush us. It was a wonderful experience, and I'm so glad I got to introduce La Mela to some of my former students.Special Features:
- Disappointedphillygirl19Dined on 8/11/2014LaMela was reccommended to me by a friend. I passed many nicely decorated, crowded, upbeat restaurants on my way to La Mela. We went into the main dining room which was practically empty, and was taken through the kitchen into a dumpy back room that looked more like an outdated pizzeria than the quaint restaurant I was expecting. Although I hated the atmosphere, I stayed and gave it a chance hoping the food was better than the ambiance. The waiter was rude from the minute we sat down. (we were a party of 8, but not rowdy or obnoxious) He acted like we were putting him out by just being there. The food was good, but took a very long time and did not make up for the horrible dining experience.
- Taste of Italydiner56Dined on 8/6/2014Good service, good food. Menu has a lot of offerings. Serving sizes are plentiful Up. Will definitely returnSpecial Features:
- Like Sunday at Gramma's!MarkCisVIPDined on 8/4/2014Skip the pretentious high-priced restaurants along Mulberry Street and head straight to La Mela. The entire staff is about as accommodating as they come. If 'Butch The Hat' is there...ask him about all the pics of visitors on the wall! The veal is as good as it gets! Prices are very reasonable & portions are huge. A nice Italian 1.5L bottle of house wine is only $28! Definitely a Little Italy favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for groupsConmanVIPDined on 8/3/2014I had a group of 24 people, on a Sunday night. It was fantastic, great service great food, perfect family style italian restaurant.Special Features:
- Memorable occasionMiriDined on 8/2/2014We took our parents here for a special occasion. The food was delicious and the outside dining was an added plus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed DinerEatoutmore8Dined on 8/1/2014I recently ate there with my friend and 2 teenagers. The service was horrible. We had to seat ourselves and waited almost 10 minutes to get a drink. We had to ask the busboy to get our waiter numerous times. The place wasn't even busy..there were only 4 other occupied tables at the time. Although They did continue to open $7 small bottles of water when we asked for tap water. The food was bland,greasy and I felt they like they compensated by giving large portions hoping it would make people happy. While passing the kitchen on the way to the rest room it looked filthy as was the bathroom. STAY AWAY!!!Special Features:
- Worst place in Little ItalyLuvItalianDined on 7/31/2014A friend recommended this place, but of all the cool places we walked by, we were sorry we didn't eat elsewhere. Chicken Marsala came with no pasta (!) and 2 lbs of mushrooms in a gravy sauce. The fettuccine Alfredo was the worst I've ever tasted, heavy on butter, the spaghetti meatballs just average. Atmosphere is outdated.Special Features:
- The following 499 reviews are from the La Mela reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/29/2014This is our Little Italy "go to" place. The food is always right on and the service is always great. They don't rush you and it is casual and you feel like you are eating in someone's house. Very nice. Been going here since 1997.Special Features:
- Outstanding as alwaysepdouglasDined on 7/20/2014We go to La Mela once a year when driving thru NYC on a summer trip. Always great authentic food in the heart of Little Italy, at a fraction of the cost of nearby swankier restaurants. Attentive and swift service, too. Don't miss it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My "go to"OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/20/2014When I'm in the mood for a mixture of Italian food, that famous Little Italy Charm, and a generous portion of food I head to La Mela. I've been eating here since I was a kid and I'm finding it's a great place to take family and friends when they visit NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KnoxyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/20/2014Ate here many moons ago-was an absolute riot. Once we were asked if we were done and said no. They grabbed our bottles of wine and led us into thei alleyway with crates of tomatoes and green peppers. We tosted to the stars sitting on a picnic bench in our coats (it was October). Today, not so much fun. Food-eh and service friendly but not attentive. Felt like we were a nusance once a 12 person party arrived (we were 5). In the end we had to chase our waiter around the restaurant to get our check. Won't go back.
- Always Excellent!BLLLDined on 7/17/2014I have not been to La Mela in about 8 years. It is just as great as I remember. Huge portions of fantastic Italian. Cannoli to die for!Special Features:
- After 20 years it is still a gem!JoeCDined on 7/5/2014One of the BEST places in NYC. If you have not been there RUN and go now!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Celebration :-(maremarev628Dined on 6/28/2014I have been a customer at La Mela for over 20 years. The food was great.. the service was great... but placing a table of 5 with reservations right next to the kitchen with the dishes smashing and the door opening and closing was not pleasant to say the least. I have been accustomed to a grand welcome with lots of happy faces whenever arriving at La Mela but not this time the Maitre d' could have cared less whether we were there or not.. Just not a good feeling really disappointed. When choosing the noise level under ratings I would not say energetic I would have to say it way to loud where it actually hurt my ears.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!Lexie13Dined on 6/22/2014Amazing food and service, as usual! I highly recommend this place. Sit outside and get a bottle of red.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average ItalianCtCattenDined on 6/21/2014The waitstaff really pushes the family style dinner. The advantage is that you get a variety of things to taste. The disadvantage is that the food is just average, and you're better off just ordering what you want. The strolling singer is more annoying than entertaining, and knows only a few songs. I would not recommend this restaurant to a foodie.
- Great Spot in Little ItalyBethzVIPDined on 6/21/2014We had a large group (2 families) and it was a great way to get a table in the bustling and busy Little Italy. Great simple italian food, the kids loved it.Special Features:
- Great FindScottsdalecplDined on 6/20/2014Went on a recommendation from a friend ....the food was excellent, there was no push to finish and our waiter was one of the best waiters we have ever had we are both disappointed we don't recall his name so we could mention him by name, the next day we had lunch down the street at "John Gotti's favorite place " there was no comparison in food quality or service...they forget to tell you Gotti's has not walked those streets since 1990Special Features: