235 West 48th Street
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
- Price: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lamasserianyc.com/
- Phone: 2125822111
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Saturday: 4:30pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 3:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Giuseppe Coladonato
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from La Masseria
La Masseria Restaurant is inspired from ancient fortified farmhouses that in the Puglia Region of Italy are called “Masseria”. Executive Chef/Co-Owner, Pino Coladonato, grew up on a Farm in Puglia. He was forced to eat whatever was available but soon was tired of bean puree and decided to take matters into his own hands, creating new ways to use the same few ingredients. Now, with limitless ingredients to choose from, fava beans, chickpeas and lentils are still a core element in many of his entrees. Interior Designer Libby Langdon has created a warm, inviting dining atmosphere. Rustic and relaxed, with plenty of old world charm. Oversized iron sconces custom made from antique wrought iron gates punctuate the walls, and artful displays of antique farm tools mixed with various authentic Italian photographs all add to the farmhouse appeal. The 250-bottle wine list encompasses all regions of Italy with few of the best American and the rest of the world.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
La Masseria reviews from OpenTable diners
259 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (113)neighborhood gem (113)special occasion (101)great for outdoor dining (98)romantic (74)great for lunch (73)notable wine list (72)good for groups (63)late-night find (43)hot spot (34)great for brunch (21)vibrant bar scene (13)kid-friendly (13)scenic view (3)Show More
- FantasticGraduationDined on 10/18/2014We were given this meal as a gift and knew nothing about the restaurant. The Staff was friendly and informed about the food, which was terrific. Would recommend.Special Features:
- Good food but stay out of the loftclbrunettiDined on 10/17/2014The food was very good, but don't let them seat you in the loft area. It is very tight up there. Ask for seating on the main floor or, depending on the time of year, outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Has It AllPaoloDined on 10/16/2014From the greeting at the front door to the final departure we were made to feel very special. Our group of four had specialt Italian dishes from the Puglia region. Orecchiette with broccoli rabe was exceptional. Chicken and fish dishes were. Maurizzio, our server, was pleasant, always available when we needed him, and never over bearing or rushed. Do yourself a favor and enjoy this very professionally run restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/15/2014Having eaten at La Masseria twice before, I was looking forward to my meal, which was good. HOWEVER, 4 hours later I was struck by food poisioning, which was a horrific experience. Something went wrong in the kitchen.
- Great food Great serviceMarkMDined on 10/13/2014My family and I went to La Masseria after we saw a show on Broadway. It was also for my dad's 50th birthday. Criticizing an Italian restaurant as an Italian, the food was amazing. The service was great. The next time I go back to Nwe York I will go back to La Masseria.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fortified at La Masseriaescape2thecityDined on 10/13/2014Decorated in rustic Italian style, LA MASSERIA is a charming reminder of a bygone era of warm, rural hospitality. There was a great selection on the menu and several mouth-watering specials on offer. Substitutions were pleasantly accommodated by the staff. My swordfish, which was perfectly complemented by a half bottle of the Gavi di Gavi chosen from the extensive - but rather expensive- wine list, was flavourful and meltingly delicious. The portions were generous but not overwhelming. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit and, as the restaurant is so ideally situated in the theatre district, had no difficulty in arriving punctually for our show at the nearby Neil Simon Theatre. We would certainly recommend this restaurant to friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and nice decorGibbosDined on 10/12/2014This was our third time dining in La Masseria and we were not disappointed. It was full throughout the evening because they also do after show dining. The food is excellent but leave room for the desserts. The ambience is good although it is maybe a little bit darker than preferred but certainly feels more romantic. We took friends with us and they were impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalExceptionalDined on 10/12/2014This was our 7th or 8th visit to La Masseria over the last 3 years. We live a few hours away, buy every time we go into Manhattan, this is where we go. Requested a great table up toward the front of the restaurant in the window and our table was waiting. Started with fried zucchini, so delicious. My husband and son both had the pasta bolognese and I had the fettuccine with lobster. Both exceptional!! Ended with tiramisu and flowerless chocolate almond cake and cappuccinos. Everything just perfect. Wonderful, friendly waiter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TuckerVIPDined on 10/12/2014This is the third time we have been to La Masseria and each time was as good as or better than the last. Sometimes, when you go to a restaurant you remember the special things. The food, the wine, and the people you are with. Each time we have been at the restaurant it has been excellent.Special Features:
- Great for pre or post theaterOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/11/2014Conveniently located in the theater district. Excellent Italian food. Must try the eggplant and mozzarella appetizer. Tight quarters and a high noise level but worth the vist.Special Features:
- Pretty Good Theater DistrictDino758Dined on 10/9/2014Overall the food and service is good, but can be very loud. So if you are looking for a quiet or romantic place, this is not it.
- love it......kwallDined on 10/6/2014.....la masseria is one of my favorite restaurants in nyc......it never disappoints and this visit was no exception.....excellent coniglio, frito misto, lobster pasta, cold peroni(s).....couldn't have gone better.....my dining buddy loved it too.....looking forward to a return visit when i hit nyc again in november....Special Features:
- One of my favoritesGaryDined on 10/5/2014Their are lots of restaurants in New York and all types of food. On a recent trip here we had lunch one day and came back for dinner that same week. The food was excellent along with great service. We had Cuttle Fish and Octupus and a fish disk for lunch. It was excellent. Later that week for dinner we had one of their specialities Rabbit. If you like Rabbit this is the place. This is just a small part of the menu because they have great Italian food of all types. We visit New York on a yearly basis and have been going to this restaurant for a least 5 years and never disappointed. It is located in the theater district which is convenient. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Love2dineDined on 10/4/2014My husband and I had dinner here to celebrate our anniversary. The food, service and decor are outstanding. We could not have been happier. I had the red snapper special for my main course it was delicious as was the Burata and grilled scallops and artichoke hearts that we shared for appetizersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing VisitLitiVIPDined on 10/3/2014This is one of my favorite NYC restaurants and I come every time I'm in the city. However, I found things lacking this time. We were seated in the loft, which is charming, but very tight. The waiter almost had his caboose in my food when he was turned to the table perpendicular to ours. While the service was good, the waiter seemed a little disinterested. The papardelle dish was lovely, but the orrechiette was starchy and chewy with bitter broccoli rabe. Cappucino and tiramisu delectable. I will return, because I think this visit was an anomaly. Also, some mix up with notifying Open Table, so received an email asking why I didn't honor my reservation. Think that got worked outSpecial Features:
- Overpriced menu for mediocre foodSeriousEatingDined on 10/3/2014We ordered the fried seafood appetizer and was below expectations. The scallop and calamari were OK but the shrimp was dry and rubbery. The linguini a la vongole was also mediocre. Noodles were way undercooked (not even al dente) and some of the clams smelled fishy. The dish just seemed oily and it was very heavy. Service was good but I would not go back to this place.Special Features:
- Post-Theater DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/1/2014Great late night spot for after-theater dining! Fast service and delicious food. Especially liked those delicious breadsticks!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/28/2014We have eaten here a number of times and each time has been fabulous. With all the choices in the City and Theater District this is the best. Food is great, service not rushed and atmosphere is very comfortable. Make sure to try the homemade meatball appetizer which is made fresh every day. Delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Trip to ItalyMikeVIPDined on 9/27/2014Dining at La Masseria is taking a trip to Italy without the annoying air travel. Since I go to Italy regularly (multiple times each year) I rarely order pasta at a U.S. restaurant. La Masseria is the exception -- excellent pasta, as it is served in Italy. Outstanding food, wine and service make this a great choice for a leisurely evening, or a stop before or after theater.Special Features:
- Great Food !Hammer101Dined on 9/26/2014Great food great location if you like Broadway shows, Try it you will fall in love with MasseriaSpecial Features:
- Lovely La MasseriamatineemomVIPDined on 9/24/2014Fabulous lunch. Superb salmon. Enjoyed every bite.!Special Features:
- Delicious as Usual!jaybird51VIPDined on 9/24/2014Had lunch with my Mom before a show. We sat outside and watched the world go by as we feasted on Fritto Misto, housemade ravioli and a wonderful crab risotto. The tiramisu was the best we ever had. Service was friendly and professional as usual. My Mom loves cheese and the waiter was happy to grate as much as she wanted on her ravioli! Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantdcityDined on 9/21/2014My wife and I enjoyed our Anniversary dinner... great service, food, atmosphere and location!Special Features:
- Always greatOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/20/2014We have gone here for lunch but never dinner. We had dinner outside and you almost forgot you were in NYC with traffice going by. The kitchen had some issues not all on the menu available, but that didnt seem to matter. Food great as always and we will return againSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/20/2014I went alone, seated outside, extremely pleasant, three courses and the minute I finished one course, the next was presented. Over the top service, excellent, healthy food. A very nice glass of Super Tuscan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Broadway BoundNigel5Dined on 9/20/2014Not our first time at La Masseria and certainly not our last! A superb find in the middle of hardly passable other eating places in the Broadway vicinity. Bring your friends for great cooking and sublime freshness.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite in the theatre districttwofourtalkVIPDined on 9/19/2014the food is always delicious-- very much like a club for theater folks,we love it.Special Features:
- GoodValdeniaDined on 9/15/2014Good service. Good wine. Nothing Spetacular. Very good locationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very dependableMommaVIPDined on 9/15/2014A good spot for pre theater dining. Food always good. Service excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top choice...TodineforDined on 9/14/2014Wonderful find in the Times Square bustle! Reserved ahead and everyone (including our vegetarian) was catered to and pleased! Went with the waiter's wine choice...excellent and at a reasonable price point... and included some interesting commentary re. our waiter's home region in Italy. Those who went with the evening specials (pork chop stuffed with prosciutto?) and a pasta/asparagus dish still raving about them at the end of our trip. Myself...the cappuccino...to die for! Never would have expected such a fine find amidst the craziness of Times Square!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BigdufferMikeyDined on 9/13/2014The only concern is the price of a glass of wine.I like wine with the meal ,but refuse to pay $13 for a half glass of wine .I could buy a bottle for less than that.Special Features:
- recommended by a friendtorontopastaloverDined on 9/11/2014we mentioned we we coming to NYC, and friends said they always go here once each trip to NYC. we followed the tip, and thoroughly enjoyed the evening. the pasta, and seafood was all excellent... and the servers were very attentive and helpful. it was like a brief trip to Italy, and much shorter distance to travelSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodKimmyVIPDined on 9/11/2014Great Italian restaurant. We came here twice for my birthday. The seafood linguine was so delish. Love this restaurant and will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- before theaterPianogirl7VIPDined on 9/10/2014great menu and excellent food and service prior to a Broadway showSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of the best!chipsiDined on 9/6/2014Whenever we visit NYC, we always dine at Last Masseria. We can't imagine better tasting food at any other restaurant. Try it and you will agree.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect pretheatre lunchB52starrDined on 9/6/2014We often enjoy a truly fine pretheatre dining experience at La Masseria! Food is always delicious, service attentive and lovely ambiance. Never disappoints. The roast rabbit is a real treat as are theSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- carlesDined on 9/6/2014I visited the restaurant to celebrate a friend's birthday, prior to attending a matinee of a show The service was outstanding. The waiterwas personable, knowledgable and the service efficient without feeling that we were rushed. The food was delicious-- both our entrees and the dessert we shared. I will definitely dine there again as well as recommending it to my friends.Special Features:
- PityLJD4VIPDined on 9/4/2014We used to enjoy dining at La Masseria. Our experience last September 4 left a lot to be desired. The quality of the food was really not acceptable.
- Great experienceHolzDined on 9/4/2014We were significantly early for our reservation, but the team made it happen for us, great flexibility and service from the get go! But it was the food that made our night. Perfectly cooked risotto, linguine and gnocchi were as close to perfect as I've ever had (I sampled all as part of the dad "tax"). Great place for a warm, friendly atmosphere coupled with professional service and high quality food. Can't wait to return to La MasseriaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Italian eats near theatrsMommaKDined on 9/3/2014Came here after seeing mixed reviews on Yelp and Trip Advisor. Glad we decided to take this chance! An easy walk from the theater after seeing BOM. We were seated outside, table for 2, near enough to others check out their meals. I had the appetizer of Mozzarella, Prosciutto: soft, creamy and salty savory notes to perk it up. She had zucchini potato soup - meal-sized! My main course: Sunday Dinner sauced pasta; she: Bolognese Fettucine. I was jealous of hers (it was divine!), but mine was just as fantastic - again, over-sized portions. Definitely take a chance and give your waiters a shot at recommending things that you might not be sure of, they know their stuff!! Great meal, worth waiting for after-theater meal.Special Features: