235 West 48th Street
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lamasserianyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 582-2111
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Wednesday, Thursday & Friday: 5:00pm - 12:00am; Tuesday & Saturday: 4:30pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 3:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Giuseppe Coladonato
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from La Masseria
La Masseria Restaurant is inspired from ancient fortified farmhouses that in the Puglia Region of Italy are called “Masseria”. Executive Chef/Co-Owner, Pino Coladonato, grew up on a Farm in Puglia. He was forced to eat whatever was available but soon was tired of bean puree and decided to take matters into his own hands, creating new ways to use the same few ingredients. Now, with limitless ingredients to choose from, fava beans, chickpeas and lentils are still a core element in many of his entrees. Interior Designer Libby Langdon has created a warm, inviting dining atmosphere. Rustic and relaxed, with plenty of old world charm. Oversize iron sconces custom made from antique wrought iron gates punctuate the walls, and artful displays of antique farm tools mixed with various authentic Italian photographs all add to the farmhouse appeal. The 250-bottle wine list encompasses all regions of Italy with few of the best American and the rest of the world.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
La Masseria reviews from OpenTable diners
298 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (142)neighborhood gem (138)special occasion (105)great for outdoor dining (89)good for groups (88)romantic (87)notable wine list (85)great for lunch (79)late-night find (53)hot spot (39)great for brunch (18)vibrant bar scene (18)kid-friendly (14)scenic view (2)Show More
- A real find in the theaterOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 5/10/2009A real find in the theater district. Good food and ambience - will return often...Special Features:
- Service was friendly and professionsuefoodieVIPDined on 5/9/2009Service was friendly and professional. Food was outstanding. Portions were perfect. Would definately recommend.Special Features:
- Food is consistently goodMiamiBobVIPDined on 5/6/2009Food is consistently good to great. Service is always very good. Great for before or after theater.Special Features:
- everything was very good,OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/5/2009everything was very good, but i really dislike being led to the far back room when there are plenty of empty tables in the main dining room.
- Don't bother with 'SpecialRonKVIPDined on 5/2/2009Don't bother with 'Special Requests to the Maitre D' as they are either not read or honored. I requested seating at a four-top with corner to corner seating. Not knowing what their reservations list looked like, I did not request again at the time of seating. When we left, I counted 7 tables in the front and back that could have accomodated our request. Good food is only part of a complete dining experience. There are plenty of good restaurants in the area that do it all.Special Features:
- The atmosphere is warm andOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/26/2009The atmosphere is warm and friendly. The food is delicious. I think it's the perfect place for a nice pre-theatre meal.Special Features:
- Fantastic!! We loved the food.EveryOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/25/2009Fantastic!! We loved the food.Everyone had something different and all was great!!Special Features:
- Great, authentic Italian experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/23/2009Great, authentic Italian experience........lots of food, well prepared and hospitality galore.Special Features:
- My second time here. Overall,OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/23/2009My second time here. Overall, a delightful experience...again!!Special Features:
- Bread served with olive oilOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/19/2009Bread served with olive oil and lentils was quite tasty, as was the pistachio and avocado salad on special, but the pasta entrees were disappointing.
- We had a very nice meal atSproutsDined on 4/9/2009We had a very nice meal at a fair price. Employees were very nice and friendly, would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Excellent - we brought ourOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/7/2009Excellent - we brought our daughter to La maasseria for her birthday. A wonderful time had by all.Special Features:
- Very good food & service.NobluesharpbobVIPDined on 3/29/2009Very good food & service.No complaints whatsoever.Special Features:
- I've now been to this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/27/2009I've now been to this restaurant twice -- once by myself and once with a group of 8 colleagues. Both times I was very pleased with the food and service. The rabbit was fantastic!
- Loved the restaurant! FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/27/2009Loved the restaurant! Food , wine and atmosphere were great. Good choice for either pre or post theatre.Special Features:
- We really enjoyed eating inRosequartz7VIPDined on 3/26/2009We really enjoyed eating in this restaurant. Even though it is in the theater district it has a real homey atmosphere with a very welcoming staff. The food was excellent and we definitely plan to go back.Special Features:
- This may be my favorite ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/22/2009This may be my favorite Italian restaurant in the neighborhood. Since I work in the theater, I try to go here whenever I have friends in town. The food is great and the price of a meal is greater.Special Features:
- Everything was just great.MarkDined on 3/21/2009Everything was just great. Table was ready when we got there. Service was right on. Staff was very pleasent and knowledgeable. Food was really good. Definiately will be going back.Special Features:
- we were disappointed becauseOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/21/2009we were disappointed because my husband ordered a bottle of wine 2005 chardonnay and they brought out a 2007 and said it was a similar wine that they were out of the other wine and then charged us the same amount........not nice.Special Features:
- This is a terrific theatercathylovesfoodVIPDined on 3/21/2009This is a terrific theater district restaurant. The food is delicious and well presented. Service is efficient, and the overall ambiance is very warm and welcoming.
- Much better than the normalinternationalistDined on 3/15/2009Much better than the normal run of theater district fare. I would definitely return, which I can't say for most of the other places I've been to in the area.Special Features:
- The food was terrific as wasOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/14/2009The food was terrific as was the service. A great Italian design with authentic Italian food and wine.Special Features:
- highly recommend the freshOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/9/2009highly recommend the fresh caprese salad with procuittoSpecial Features:
- We had a very nice time atOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/8/2009We had a very nice time at La Masseria. We were a party of four, three of us dining after a theater matinee. My daughter arrived a little early, and they immediately seated her so she could comfortably await our arrival. Service was extremely pleasant and attentive. Three of us felt our food was very good. We all ordered pasta dishes. The homemade rigatoni with meatballs, sausage and beef was great...better that Mama used to make. However, linguini in white clam sauce was a big disappointment, very tasteless. They have a very good wine list, plus a good assortment of wines by the glass. Creme brulee also great. We all agreed we would give the restaurant another try because of the lovely atmosphere,friendly service and 3 of 4 tasty entrees.Special Features:
- went after Sunday TheatreOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/8/2009went after Sunday Theatre and was delighted by the ambiance, food and service.
- Price, service, ambience andOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/6/2009Price, service, ambience and food...can't go wrong.
- Our experience exceeded ourMSSSVIPDined on 3/4/2009Our experience exceeded our expectations for a pre-theater lunch. The wait staff could not have been more attentive...anything we requested arrived almost instantaneously. The food was delicious.Special Features:
- This was a good place to headLT11VIPDined on 2/28/2009This was a good place to head to after the theater because of its location. The food was average. I certainly did not wow me. The service was not great at all. Ever have a waiter hover over you waiting you to finish so they could clear your plate? This is the place! They like to clear plates as people finish, instead of waiting for the whole table to complete the meal. That is just poor service and rather rude, if you ask me.
- beautiful dining room. friendlySaxmanVIPDined on 2/28/2009beautiful dining room. friendly service. excellent food. The managers put special attention into every item. Don't let the theatre district address fool you; this is one of the best restaurants in New York. Charm and good taste: no ego or attitude. I have eaten here 3 or 4 times and this is becoming my favorite restaurant in New York.Special Features:
- Excellent (restaurant week)donrDined on 2/22/2009Excellent (restaurant week) value, tasty (sea bass) fish and chicken special, nice presentation. Very attentive. Seated promptly.Special Features:
- I make occasional trips toOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/21/2009I make occasional trips to New York for the day and am always looking for good restaurants near the theaters. This was excellent and I've made a note to return.Special Features:
- I met my girlfriend at LaleavesbegintofallDined on 2/19/2009I met my girlfriend at La Masseria for the restaurant week pre-fix lunch. We enjoyed ourselves very much. The food was delicious, the service excellent and friendly, and we were able to do much catching up in the quiet, cute restaurant. I ordered the homemade stuffed mozzarella, grilled chicken with vegetable ratatouille, and chocolate almond cake. The mozzarella was excellent, the proscuitto in it was a little overpowering, but I'm not a huge proscuitto lover, so.. The chicken was seasoned perfectly and the vegetables and roasted potatoes tasted like comfort food cooked to perfection. The cake tasted flourless and rich. Check it out if you're in the theater district and looking for a quiet restaurant. And def check out the bathrooms-nice!Special Features:
- My Aunt and I were there forOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/18/2009My Aunt and I were there for lunch. The service was excellent. Juan our waiter was attentive and yet did not rush our meal. I was previously there for dinner with a friend and the service and food were excellent both times. I definitely recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Our concerns with the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/15/2009Our concerns with the food all relate to our decision to order from the "Restaurant Week 2009" menu. Simply looking at other diners' food with the food we were presented with we quickly concluded that the RW2009 menu selections were smaller, seasoned carelessly, and presented in a less dramatic way than standard menu selections.Special Features:
- Food = great. Service -- outstandinOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/15/2009Food = great. Service -- outstanding. Too noisy up front by the bar.Special Features:
- Open late, in theater district.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/14/2009Open late, in theater district. Solid choice for dining after seeing a play. Got cold shoulder from the owner and hostess (we had reservations), and terrible table next to the door, but our nice waiter tried to make up for it. Food excellent. Recommend homemade pasta with roasted eggplant and smoked mozarella, and the mussels when available. Menu includes dishes from parts of Italy you might not be familiar with. Wine list also wide-ranging, heavy on Italian imports. Dessert (cannoli) nicely presented and delicious. Espresso properly made, and hot. Great food in an area with few non-tourist choices.Special Features:
- Amazing food and service.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/7/2009Amazing food and service. Try the gnocchi, it is amazing! Other then being crammed in a corner next to a heater dinner was very good.
- La Masseria is, simply, superb.EffieVIPDined on 2/6/2009La Masseria is, simply, superb. The food is delicious. The service is consistently excellent. Overall, I would recommend this wonderful testament to great Italian food to anyone, anytime....Special Features:
- WE TOOK ADVANTAGE OF THE RESTAURANTROSYVIPDined on 2/4/2009WE TOOK ADVANTAGE OF THE RESTAURANT WEEK SPECIAL LUNCH WHICH WAS A VERY "GOOD DEAL" PRICEWISE AND DID NOT SKIP ON RHEIR USUAL QUALITY ,SIZE OF PORTIONS OR SERVICE.. IT IS A VERY CONVENIENT TO THEATRES RESTAURANT AND A FAVORITE OF OURS IN THAT AREA.Special Features:
- We went to La Masseria. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/30/2009We went to La Masseria. The service was attentive. We ordered from the "Restaurant Week" menu. We met with another couple we hadn't seen in a long time. The restaurant let the four of us sit there until almost 3pm without rushing us.Special Features: