235 West 48th Street
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lamasserianyc.com/
- Phone: 2125822111
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Saturday: 4:30pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 3:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Giuseppe Coladonato
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from La Masseria
La Masseria Restaurant is inspired from ancient fortified farmhouses that in the Puglia Region of Italy are called “Masseria”. Executive Chef/Co-Owner, Pino Coladonato, grew up on a Farm in Puglia. He was forced to eat whatever was available but soon was tired of bean puree and decided to take matters into his own hands, creating new ways to use the same few ingredients. Now, with limitless ingredients to choose from, fava beans, chickpeas and lentils are still a core element in many of his entrees. Interior Designer Libby Langdon has created a warm, inviting dining atmosphere. Rustic and relaxed, with plenty of old world charm. Oversized iron sconces custom made from antique wrought iron gates punctuate the walls, and artful displays of antique farm tools mixed with various authentic Italian photographs all add to the farmhouse appeal. The 250-bottle wine list encompasses all regions of Italy with few of the best American and the rest of the world.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
La Masseria reviews from OpenTable diners
276 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (109)special occasion (106)great for outdoor dining (105)neighborhood gem (99)romantic (83)notable wine list (79)great for lunch (79)good for groups (50)late-night find (46)hot spot (26)great for brunch (23)kid-friendly (12)vibrant bar scene (7)scenic view (4)Show More
- Before theater spotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014I would only go for a convenient place to eat . The restaurant would not be my choice for an evening outSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a special occasion w/special food!dlbdesignDined on 8/31/2014We had a great meal and great time, despite the noise and location next to the kitchen door. Salads and apps are all sharable, the zucchini frites were to die for! Giant Prawns were the largest and tastiest I have ever had! nicely paced meal even at pre-theater time. We would definately return, maybe ask for a better seating.Special Features:
- Italian Done RightSkeeter24Dined on 8/31/2014The chef at this Italian restaurant knows how Italian food was meant to be prepared. You can taste the individual flavors that go into the dish. It is not just pasta with a red sauce. The seafood appetizer we had was lightly dusted, fried calamari, sea scallops and shrimp. You could taste the distinctive flavor of each seafood. We followed up with a spinach salad which was prepared with pears, walnuts and Gorgonzola. It was quite light and refreshing. Our entree was linguine with white clam sauce. The clams were small and tender, still in the shell. The linguine was al dente and flavorful with just the slightest hint of garlic and oil. The service was attentive and friendly. I would definitely go back next time I'm in the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- post-theatre dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/31/2014The food was very good, except we didn't care for the eggplant and mozzarella appetizer. Beware the specials -- an entrée with three jumbo shrimp and clams and spaghetti with tomato sauce was priced at 42.50 -- over $20 more than the linguine with clam sauce on the regular menu. Would return, but stick to the regular menu next time.Special Features:
- Happy dining!TavrofanVIPDined on 8/31/2014We went for lunch because it was right near our theatre. What a wonderful discovery! It's a nice (Not touristy) clean place with great food and amazing service. Our waiter was a happy and energetic person. It was a pleasure eating there. Grilled baby octopus was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The (almost) Perfect Evening!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/30/2014I went to La Masseria, at the recommendation of a friend, for a special evening with good friends and family. Although much smaller than it appears on the web site, it was very nicely appointed. We were all impressed with the food - sharing several appetizers and a dessert, and everyone ordered something different from the main menu. Two pastas, one salad, one swordfish. Everything was wonderful! The pasta with caramelized onion and bacon was a favorite. Very nice wine list, fabulous cheesecake! Service was attentive and very professional. The only negative was the noise level but given it was a Saturday night right before most show times with a packed house, it was understandable. We would all recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:
- Excellent!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/30/2014We went for lunch on a recommendation from a friend. We sat outside on a beautiful day. The service was tremendous...waiter was great...made wonderful recommendations. Gnocchi was great...Bolognese was memorable...they even had a gluten free pasta for one in our party that was tremendous. We will return on our next trip to NYC. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!Lct80Dined on 8/25/2014We had a great meal! For four people we ordered 4 appetizers and 4 entrees and shared everything. Our waiter split of the food for us and remained close by to continue to help us with sharing!wine was fantastic and waiter had lots of info ration for us. Amazing off menu order - ask for gnocchi with black truffle!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Three strikes you're out!Adultsonly6tDined on 8/24/2014Disappointing meal after seeing a show! Service not good-very rushed. Don't think it's worth the money!Special Features:
- Perfection!BarbaraDined on 8/24/2014What a gem! The restaurant is a beautiful spot, and their Northern Italian dishes are so well prepared and delicious. I started with a crabmeat and arugula salad; my husband had carpaccio -- both were perfect. Next came our veal entrees, mine with artichokes and lemon, and his with fresh tomatoes. Wow again. We then split a wonderfu ricotta cheesecake. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerBruddahcDined on 8/23/2014Was a great time we had with family at the restaurant to celebrate my birthday. Food was great but my sister wasn't a huge fan of the soft shell crab. The ambiance was nice except a little noisy since we were seated near the kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unatentive waiternativeeastendDined on 8/22/2014I have eaten here before an have had wonderful meals and service. This time our waiter was terrible, very unatentive, even when he was talking to us he was not making eye contact just scanning the room. I am usually a very good tipper but only left him 10%.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointsLauraDined on 8/20/2014We have been dining at La Masseria for years and have NEVER been disappointed. This last visit I was accompanied by three girlfriends who were so impressed with the service and the desire of our waiter to get everything just right. Upon making the reservation, the restaurant actually called to confirm the time and made a note that we were to be at the theatre for a matinee. My friends took cards on the way out...they'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NeNaVIPDined on 8/20/2014Very satisfied with my first experience here. I"ll be back.Special Features:
- another great meal..lovegoodfoodVIPDined on 8/19/2014This is my second time visiting La Masseria. The second visit was just as wonderful as I remembered!! Food, ambiance, and service were all excellent! The preparation of the eggplant appetizer was wonderful, and the chicken and sausage was delicious! I will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CommentcheftobeDined on 8/19/2014Great for business lunch. the staff let's you conduct a business conversation while serving an excellent meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- La Masseria, a piece of Italy in NYfapradoBRDined on 8/18/2014I had the pleasure to have dinner at La Masseria Restaurant, NYC. Food and service are outstanding; besides that the ambience is amazing. I strong recommend La Masseria.Special Features:
- Outrageous!!LaCiociara1Dined on 8/18/2014One of the best meals... I'm a little picky when it comes to Italian food.. this place is as authentic as it gets... I'm mean AUTHENTIC.. out of this world DELIZIOSO!! the Rabbit was just like nonna used to make.. and the grilled octopus with cuddlefish.. abosolutely to DIE FOR.. a MUST!!! I particularly love the authentic ITALIAN WAITORS!! there is nothing like having food being served by gorgeous Italian waitors.. it just adds an extra zest to the Ambiance of PERFECT ITALIAN RESTAURANT!!! BRAVI!!!! COMPLIMENTI... Arrivederci a presto!!Special Features:
- Memories of ItalyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/17/2014We loved La Masseria. The food was exceptional, the service was wonderful and the atmosphere relaxing. The ambiance brought me back to our many trips to Italy and I so enjoyed speaking Italian with the waiters. We will recommend this place to our friends and family and plan on returning soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best ricotta cheesecake EVER!mommyDined on 8/17/2014Our second time there, pre-broadway matinee--good food, very quick service. Sat outside both times, loved that! This time the dessert was the reason I'll keep going back....homemade ricotta cheesecake, TO DIE FOR!!! Enough said!Special Features:
- Great Broadway diningOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/16/2014Unlike many of the restaurants in the theatre district, LA Masseria is not a tourist trap. Excellent Italian food with great service. We ate after a show and it was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another fine meal at la MasseriaIenjoyeatingoutVIPDined on 8/15/2014We ate at La Masseria for Restaurant week. Its Italian rustic décor and Italian waiters complement the ambiance and the delicious Italian menu lay the foundation for a great dining experience. We were a party of 5 and each enjoyed our appetizer, entrée and dessert immensely.. the buffalo mozzarella appetizer was excellent, and the chicken paillard, branzino and gnocchi entrees were each delicious. The Octopus salad sounded delicious and I will try it the next time I dine at La Masseria.Special Features:
- Always reliable!ShozgirlVIPDined on 8/13/2014Have been going for years and the food is consistently excellent. As is the service, ambiance, overall experience. The specials are numerous every night! They are accommodating about sharing and even often split the salad or app for you. Out of town guests really appreciate the authenticity as do I.Special Features:
- Just LovelyMkny27Dined on 8/13/2014We enjoyed a ladies lunch but I will definitely be back for dinner. The gnocchi was incredible and homemade. It was just lovely!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MaxxDined on 8/11/2014Great food using fresh ingredients. Great service.Special Features:
- ExcellentPunjabiikuriiDined on 8/10/2014Amazing food. I did not want the night to end. Service was very good and the atmosphere was good. It is expensive but I think worth itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect choice pre theateravidtravelerDined on 8/10/2014Went there pre theatre and was happy we did. Ser icexwas prompt, food came out hot abd the quality was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful both for bar & dinnerJeanandJohnDined on 8/10/2014The bar was a friendly atmosphere to meet friends - the food was prepared and presented with the delight for the palate as well as the eye! Overall a very delightful experience. Would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great choiceElliotDined on 8/10/2014Chose because it was one of the few restaurants participating in "Restaurant Week" AND including Sunday AND lunch. Thank you for that. We were in to see a show. Limited choices but all were delicious and coffee was included with the meal. A definite plus. I would definitely return for the dinner menu!Special Features:
- Very nice in theater districtOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/9/2014The service here was exceptional. The food was very good. Portion size was moderate but acceptable with the reasonable NYC prices. Would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- attentivecareDined on 8/7/2014will definitely go back-all staff was caring and attentiveSpecial Features:
- Always Great!!!!!BarbDined on 8/6/2014When visiting NYC from AZ, we always dine here (sometimes twice drink our visit) - excellent food and service. Great wine, great food choices, and great service.....whether after theatre or for an early dinner. Our #1 go to when visiting NYC.Special Features:
- Hands down..favorite restaurantmyopineDined on 8/6/2014La Masseria is our go to place when we visit NYC. We are originally from NY and go back often. Everything about La Masseria is fabulous; the delectable food that you will dream about for a week afterwards, the wonderful and attentive waitstaff, the hostess, the wine list etc. We've been to La Masseria about ten times now and we always look forward to our next trip there. A wonderful place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Choice!!AnaCDined on 8/5/2014This was my first time at this restaurant, I went there after reading some great reviews about the food. The ambiance was great, great service and friendly people! Everything that we have ordered was amazing, great taste, a real Italian food!!! I certainly will return to the restaurant on my next trip to NYC and would suggest the place to all my friends!Special Features:
- LoveFoodLoveFoodDined on 8/5/2014We were excited to try this restaurant after choosing it based on great TripAdvisor reviews. And those great reviews didn't disappoint! The restaurant was beautiful, almost like stepping into a restaurant in Italy. Our table was perched overlooking the outside patio and in our opinion, the best table in the house for summer weather. Our server, Juan Paolo, was related to the owner, and also appeared to have stepped right out of Italy. He was a pro---the perfect blend of efficient and helpful, and made our experience extra special. The food was wonderful, and our only lament was that we weren't able to try more dishes on the menu! We were there for LUNCH, and would love to return for dinner--surely the ambience would seem even more magical.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!LoriLDined on 8/4/2014I was dining alone while in NYC on business. Although I had reservations, they gave me the option to sit at the bar which I decided to do. I was delighted by Alina the bartender who helped me order everything from my drink, the appetizer and the main course. The food was so fresh and amazing! I had the green bean, avocado, lobster, cherry tomato salad in a light lemon dressing and it was awesome. I had a chicken dish that was a special for the evening and it too was awesome. I had the best cup of cappuccino ever here and what made my meal even more pleasant was having Alina the bartender to chat with. I will return later in August when I'm back in the city and will go on a Monday night! Everything was fresh, delicious and lovely!Special Features:
- La Masseria a real treat!CherylDined on 8/3/2014We decided to order from the dining week menu and the food was fantastic! We had read reviews before we went so we booked through open table to be sure we would get in! The wait staff was very attentive and the hostess was very friendly and accommodating! We enjoyed a great dinner after the theater!Special Features:
- Authentic Italian foodnycvisitorDined on 8/3/2014This was a very pleasant and authentic Italian restaurant. The pastas was cooked perfectly. The service was excellent and they had a great wine list. This was a very nice dinner for a family, a couple, or a business meal. Highly recommend it. The restaurant was very busy but we arrived 10 minutes late for out reservation and the table was waiting for us. The waiter was very good and pleasant as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!Baby1213VIPDined on 8/3/2014I had eaten at this restaurant last summer and had really forgotten about it. We just picked an Italian restaurant off of Open Table because we decided last minute to head to the city, get tickets to a show and have dinner with friends. The guys picked the restaurant and immediately upon my arrival I remebered being there and how terrific the food was. Did not disappoint. Will definetly keep this restaurant on my radar for now on.Special Features:
- Great meallocaldinerDined on 8/3/2014Four of us ate dinner here during Restaurant Week, having the prix fixe menu. Everyone enjoyed their choices. The food was fresh, very well presented and very tasty. The service was commendable and we enjoyed eating outside on the large patio which was set back from the street traffic.Special Features: