235 West 48th Street
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lamasserianyc.com/
- Phone: 2125822111
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Saturday: 4:30pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 3:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Giuseppe Coladonato
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from La Masseria
La Masseria Restaurant is inspired from ancient fortified farmhouses that in the Puglia Region of Italy are called “Masseria”. Executive Chef/Co-Owner, Pino Coladonato, grew up on a Farm in Puglia. He was forced to eat whatever was available but soon was tired of bean puree and decided to take matters into his own hands, creating new ways to use the same few ingredients. Now, with limitless ingredients to choose from, fava beans, chickpeas and lentils are still a core element in many of his entrees. Interior Designer Libby Langdon has created a warm, inviting dining atmosphere. Rustic and relaxed, with plenty of old world charm. Oversized iron sconces custom made from antique wrought iron gates punctuate the walls, and artful displays of antique farm tools mixed with various authentic Italian photographs all add to the farmhouse appeal. The 250-bottle wine list encompasses all regions of Italy with few of the best American and the rest of the world.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
La Masseria reviews from OpenTable diners
269 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (121)neighborhood gem (114)special occasion (103)great for outdoor dining (96)romantic (80)great for lunch (73)notable wine list (73)good for groups (67)late-night find (47)hot spot (37)great for brunch (20)kid-friendly (14)vibrant bar scene (14)scenic view (3)Show More
- Will Not ReturnOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/29/2014What started out as a great experience slowly deteriorated into a costly mistake. Once our table was cleared of the appetizer course, that was the last we were to see of the wait staff for a full 35 minutes. As the clock ticked closer toward the start time of our Broadway matinee, every other table in our dining room was served their appetizer course and main course as we sat waiting. Finally, our waiter noticed we were still waiting and approached us to say the kitchen had been busy and we would get our food "soon". When the food came, the clams on the clams and linguine were dried out; food had to be wrapped to go since we had a show to catch. Unacceptable to the tune of $178.00+tip for 3!Special Features:
- SuperbMarkVIPDined on 10/27/2014Attentive staff and excellent food...of the highest quality. My fifth visit over five years. Consistently good...a superb dining experience.
- Consistently wonderfulBarbaraDined on 10/26/2014This restaurant is a real gem. The food is always top notch, great specials keep it interesting. We love the ambiance. Tables for two in the upstairs loft like area are great for a special date. The staff is extra wonderful!!! Have been several times and love it every time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- La Masseria rocks itOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014One of our favorites inn New York. The food is outstanding. Valentina behind the bar is gracious and welcoming. Our server-Reed--is awesome. We feel like royal there. Have taken several travel buddies and recommended to many--no one has ever been disappointed. Truly a great find. the atmosphere is bustling and exciting. Love the look of the barSpecial Features:
- GalfromthesouthOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/25/2014We loved finding LaMesseria. We are always looking for late night places in the theater district and this one was a winner. Loved the ambiance, service and food. Will definitely go back next time.Special Features:
- a great experienceDebGVIPDined on 10/25/2014Typically only eat "italian" when I am in NY. This restaurant is a great find. Great food, wine, service and overall wonderful NY restaurant ambience. Highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Touristy, not for New YorkersOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/25/2014Waiters pretend to be Italian, ambiance is not what the pictures online portray(seems different when your there), however the food drives the business, right? Northern Italian and everyone seemed to like it. Can't complain too much.Special Features:
- Great Pre Matinee lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/25/2014Had a wonderful experience, foor was outstanding and waiter was very polite and helpful. My brother and I went before a matinee of mama mia, and it really added to how great the day was. We split imported buffalo mozzarella with tomatoes basil and speck. It was delicious and they split the dish for us and it was more than enough for 2 people. I ordered a rigatoni special with a gargonzola cream sauce and dry aged beef, and my brother ordered gnocchi. Both dishes were fresh and delicious. Highly recomend this theater district gem for authentic italian food, good wine, and lovely ambiance.Special Features:
- Great place to dine.NogiDined on 10/24/2014Great restaurant and very reasonably priced. Excellent service. I would highly recommend La Masseria.Special Features:
- Great for after theaterLoveLocalDined on 10/22/2014It was a rainy Wednesday night after the theater and the place was packed! We had a lovely dinner here. I would recommend Masseria as the best spot I have been to in the theater district. The tables are close so I could see all the dishes presented and everything looked lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Versatile and convenientDaniZ34Dined on 10/21/2014This restaurant was recommended by one of the major hotels in the area and was a nice option for a business lunch, as it's moderately priced and can accommodate parties of 2 or 8 equally well. Just a quick walk from the crush of Times Square, this establishment has a broad menu, all of which looked very appetizing. I opted for 2 of the appetizer specials: pumpkin and potato soup and the salad with avocado and shrimp. The soup could have used a bit more seasoning, but it was a nice starter. The salad was fresh and bright. The front of the restaurant opens up, which is always nice, save for the occasional waft of cigarette smoke that pushed in. This is a nice option for pre/post show dining and/or business lunches/dinners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good theater place to eatHONESTDined on 10/19/2014Food good, but not spectacular. Ambience nice, and service wonderful! Everyone friendly and eager to please. Not inexpensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Italian in NYCDalonsoDined on 10/18/2014Prices are fair, service is great, food is YUMMY! MAMMA MIA!Special Features:
- FantasticGraduationDined on 10/18/2014We were given this meal as a gift and knew nothing about the restaurant. The Staff was friendly and informed about the food, which was terrific. Would recommend.Special Features:
- Good food but stay out of the loftclbrunettiDined on 10/17/2014The food was very good, but don't let them seat you in the loft area. It is very tight up there. Ask for seating on the main floor or, depending on the time of year, outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Has It AllPaoloDined on 10/16/2014From the greeting at the front door to the final departure we were made to feel very special. Our group of four had specialt Italian dishes from the Puglia region. Orecchiette with broccoli rabe was exceptional. Chicken and fish dishes were. Maurizzio, our server, was pleasant, always available when we needed him, and never over bearing or rushed. Do yourself a favor and enjoy this very professionally run restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/15/2014Having eaten at La Masseria twice before, I was looking forward to my meal, which was good. HOWEVER, 4 hours later I was struck by food poisioning, which was a horrific experience. Something went wrong in the kitchen.
- Great food Great serviceMarkMDined on 10/13/2014My family and I went to La Masseria after we saw a show on Broadway. It was also for my dad's 50th birthday. Criticizing an Italian restaurant as an Italian, the food was amazing. The service was great. The next time I go back to Nwe York I will go back to La Masseria.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fortified at La Masseriaescape2thecityDined on 10/13/2014Decorated in rustic Italian style, LA MASSERIA is a charming reminder of a bygone era of warm, rural hospitality. There was a great selection on the menu and several mouth-watering specials on offer. Substitutions were pleasantly accommodated by the staff. My swordfish, which was perfectly complemented by a half bottle of the Gavi di Gavi chosen from the extensive - but rather expensive- wine list, was flavourful and meltingly delicious. The portions were generous but not overwhelming. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit and, as the restaurant is so ideally situated in the theatre district, had no difficulty in arriving punctually for our show at the nearby Neil Simon Theatre. We would certainly recommend this restaurant to friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and nice decorGibbosDined on 10/12/2014This was our third time dining in La Masseria and we were not disappointed. It was full throughout the evening because they also do after show dining. The food is excellent but leave room for the desserts. The ambience is good although it is maybe a little bit darker than preferred but certainly feels more romantic. We took friends with us and they were impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalExceptionalDined on 10/12/2014This was our 7th or 8th visit to La Masseria over the last 3 years. We live a few hours away, buy every time we go into Manhattan, this is where we go. Requested a great table up toward the front of the restaurant in the window and our table was waiting. Started with fried zucchini, so delicious. My husband and son both had the pasta bolognese and I had the fettuccine with lobster. Both exceptional!! Ended with tiramisu and flowerless chocolate almond cake and cappuccinos. Everything just perfect. Wonderful, friendly waiter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TuckerVIPDined on 10/12/2014This is the third time we have been to La Masseria and each time was as good as or better than the last. Sometimes, when you go to a restaurant you remember the special things. The food, the wine, and the people you are with. Each time we have been at the restaurant it has been excellent.Special Features:
- Great for pre or post theaterOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/11/2014Conveniently located in the theater district. Excellent Italian food. Must try the eggplant and mozzarella appetizer. Tight quarters and a high noise level but worth the vist.Special Features:
- Pretty Good Theater DistrictDino758Dined on 10/9/2014Overall the food and service is good, but can be very loud. So if you are looking for a quiet or romantic place, this is not it.
- love it......kwallDined on 10/6/2014.....la masseria is one of my favorite restaurants in nyc......it never disappoints and this visit was no exception.....excellent coniglio, frito misto, lobster pasta, cold peroni(s).....couldn't have gone better.....my dining buddy loved it too.....looking forward to a return visit when i hit nyc again in november....Special Features:
- One of my favoritesGaryDined on 10/5/2014Their are lots of restaurants in New York and all types of food. On a recent trip here we had lunch one day and came back for dinner that same week. The food was excellent along with great service. We had Cuttle Fish and Octupus and a fish disk for lunch. It was excellent. Later that week for dinner we had one of their specialities Rabbit. If you like Rabbit this is the place. This is just a small part of the menu because they have great Italian food of all types. We visit New York on a yearly basis and have been going to this restaurant for a least 5 years and never disappointed. It is located in the theater district which is convenient. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Love2dineDined on 10/4/2014My husband and I had dinner here to celebrate our anniversary. The food, service and decor are outstanding. We could not have been happier. I had the red snapper special for my main course it was delicious as was the Burata and grilled scallops and artichoke hearts that we shared for appetizersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing VisitLitiVIPDined on 10/3/2014This is one of my favorite NYC restaurants and I come every time I'm in the city. However, I found things lacking this time. We were seated in the loft, which is charming, but very tight. The waiter almost had his caboose in my food when he was turned to the table perpendicular to ours. While the service was good, the waiter seemed a little disinterested. The papardelle dish was lovely, but the orrechiette was starchy and chewy with bitter broccoli rabe. Cappucino and tiramisu delectable. I will return, because I think this visit was an anomaly. Also, some mix up with notifying Open Table, so received an email asking why I didn't honor my reservation. Think that got worked outSpecial Features:
- Overpriced menu for mediocre foodSeriousEatingDined on 10/3/2014We ordered the fried seafood appetizer and was below expectations. The scallop and calamari were OK but the shrimp was dry and rubbery. The linguini a la vongole was also mediocre. Noodles were way undercooked (not even al dente) and some of the clams smelled fishy. The dish just seemed oily and it was very heavy. Service was good but I would not go back to this place.Special Features:
- Post-Theater DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/1/2014Great late night spot for after-theater dining! Fast service and delicious food. Especially liked those delicious breadsticks!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/28/2014We have eaten here a number of times and each time has been fabulous. With all the choices in the City and Theater District this is the best. Food is great, service not rushed and atmosphere is very comfortable. Make sure to try the homemade meatball appetizer which is made fresh every day. Delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Trip to ItalyMikeVIPDined on 9/27/2014Dining at La Masseria is taking a trip to Italy without the annoying air travel. Since I go to Italy regularly (multiple times each year) I rarely order pasta at a U.S. restaurant. La Masseria is the exception -- excellent pasta, as it is served in Italy. Outstanding food, wine and service make this a great choice for a leisurely evening, or a stop before or after theater.Special Features:
- Great Food !Hammer101Dined on 9/26/2014Great food great location if you like Broadway shows, Try it you will fall in love with MasseriaSpecial Features:
- Lovely La MasseriamatineemomVIPDined on 9/24/2014Fabulous lunch. Superb salmon. Enjoyed every bite.!Special Features:
- Delicious as Usual!jaybird51VIPDined on 9/24/2014Had lunch with my Mom before a show. We sat outside and watched the world go by as we feasted on Fritto Misto, housemade ravioli and a wonderful crab risotto. The tiramisu was the best we ever had. Service was friendly and professional as usual. My Mom loves cheese and the waiter was happy to grate as much as she wanted on her ravioli! Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantdcityDined on 9/21/2014My wife and I enjoyed our Anniversary dinner... great service, food, atmosphere and location!Special Features:
- Always greatOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/20/2014We have gone here for lunch but never dinner. We had dinner outside and you almost forgot you were in NYC with traffice going by. The kitchen had some issues not all on the menu available, but that didnt seem to matter. Food great as always and we will return againSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/20/2014I went alone, seated outside, extremely pleasant, three courses and the minute I finished one course, the next was presented. Over the top service, excellent, healthy food. A very nice glass of Super Tuscan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Broadway BoundNigel5Dined on 9/20/2014Not our first time at La Masseria and certainly not our last! A superb find in the middle of hardly passable other eating places in the Broadway vicinity. Bring your friends for great cooking and sublime freshness.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite in the theatre districttwofourtalkVIPDined on 9/19/2014the food is always delicious-- very much like a club for theater folks,we love it.Special Features: