235 West 48th Street
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lamasserianyc.com/
- Phone: 2125822111
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Saturday: 4:30pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 3:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Giuseppe Coladonato
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from La Masseria
La Masseria Restaurant is inspired from ancient fortified farmhouses that in the Puglia Region of Italy are called “Masseria”. Executive Chef/Co-Owner, Pino Coladonato, grew up on a Farm in Puglia. He was forced to eat whatever was available but soon was tired of bean puree and decided to take matters into his own hands, creating new ways to use the same few ingredients. Now, with limitless ingredients to choose from, fava beans, chickpeas and lentils are still a core element in many of his entrees. Interior Designer Libby Langdon has created a warm, inviting dining atmosphere. Rustic and relaxed, with plenty of old world charm. Oversized iron sconces custom made from antique wrought iron gates punctuate the walls, and artful displays of antique farm tools mixed with various authentic Italian photographs all add to the farmhouse appeal. The 250-bottle wine list encompasses all regions of Italy with few of the best American and the rest of the world.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
La Masseria reviews from OpenTable diners
249 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (105)neighborhood gem (98)special occasion (96)great for outdoor dining (95)great for lunch (76)romantic (74)notable wine list (68)good for groups (47)late-night find (43)hot spot (28)great for brunch (22)kid-friendly (12)vibrant bar scene (5)scenic view (4)Show More
- BigdufferMikeyDined on 9/13/2014The only concern is the price of a glass of wine.I like wine with the meal ,but refuse to pay $13 for a half glass of wine .I could buy a bottle for less than that.Special Features:
- recommended by a friendtorontopastaloverDined on 9/11/2014we mentioned we we coming to NYC, and friends said they always go here once each trip to NYC. we followed the tip, and thoroughly enjoyed the evening. the pasta, and seafood was all excellent... and the servers were very attentive and helpful. it was like a brief trip to Italy, and much shorter distance to travelSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- before theaterPianogirl7VIPDined on 9/10/2014great menu and excellent food and service prior to a Broadway showSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of the best!chipsiDined on 9/6/2014Whenever we visit NYC, we always dine at Last Masseria. We can't imagine better tasting food at any other restaurant. Try it and you will agree.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect pretheatre lunchB52starrDined on 9/6/2014We often enjoy a truly fine pretheatre dining experience at La Masseria! Food is always delicious, service attentive and lovely ambiance. Never disappoints. The roast rabbit is a real treat as are theSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- carlesDined on 9/6/2014I visited the restaurant to celebrate a friend's birthday, prior to attending a matinee of a show The service was outstanding. The waiterwas personable, knowledgable and the service efficient without feeling that we were rushed. The food was delicious-- both our entrees and the dessert we shared. I will definitely dine there again as well as recommending it to my friends.Special Features:
- PityLJD4VIPDined on 9/4/2014We used to enjoy dining at La Masseria. Our experience last September 4 left a lot to be desired. The quality of the food was really not acceptable.
- Great experienceHolzDined on 9/4/2014We were significantly early for our reservation, but the team made it happen for us, great flexibility and service from the get go! But it was the food that made our night. Perfectly cooked risotto, linguine and gnocchi were as close to perfect as I've ever had (I sampled all as part of the dad "tax"). Great place for a warm, friendly atmosphere coupled with professional service and high quality food. Can't wait to return to La MasseriaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Italian eats near theatrsMommaKDined on 9/3/2014Came here after seeing mixed reviews on Yelp and Trip Advisor. Glad we decided to take this chance! An easy walk from the theater after seeing BOM. We were seated outside, table for 2, near enough to others check out their meals. I had the appetizer of Mozzarella, Prosciutto: soft, creamy and salty savory notes to perk it up. She had zucchini potato soup - meal-sized! My main course: Sunday Dinner sauced pasta; she: Bolognese Fettucine. I was jealous of hers (it was divine!), but mine was just as fantastic - again, over-sized portions. Definitely take a chance and give your waiters a shot at recommending things that you might not be sure of, they know their stuff!! Great meal, worth waiting for after-theater meal.Special Features:
- When the cat's away...YououghtaknowDined on 9/1/2014I have been here several times and loved each experience, obviously. On my most recent evening there, the head chef and owner were not in and that is my theory why the quality hit rock bottom. Sauce on the veal which was not outlined in the menu, raw veal which was requested as medium rare. We had to send the veal back, against my better reasoning, and it returned to the table over done. Sigh. All in all, bad food and a half hearted apology from one of the managers didn't make it any tastier.Special Features:
- Before theater spotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014I would only go for a convenient place to eat . The restaurant would not be my choice for an evening outSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a special occasion w/special food!dlbdesignDined on 8/31/2014We had a great meal and great time, despite the noise and location next to the kitchen door. Salads and apps are all sharable, the zucchini frites were to die for! Giant Prawns were the largest and tastiest I have ever had! nicely paced meal even at pre-theater time. We would definately return, maybe ask for a better seating.Special Features:
- Italian Done RightSkeeter24Dined on 8/31/2014The chef at this Italian restaurant knows how Italian food was meant to be prepared. You can taste the individual flavors that go into the dish. It is not just pasta with a red sauce. The seafood appetizer we had was lightly dusted, fried calamari, sea scallops and shrimp. You could taste the distinctive flavor of each seafood. We followed up with a spinach salad which was prepared with pears, walnuts and Gorgonzola. It was quite light and refreshing. Our entree was linguine with white clam sauce. The clams were small and tender, still in the shell. The linguine was al dente and flavorful with just the slightest hint of garlic and oil. The service was attentive and friendly. I would definitely go back next time I'm in the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- post-theatre dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014The food was very good, except we didn't care for the eggplant and mozzarella appetizer. Beware the specials -- an entrée with three jumbo shrimp and clams and spaghetti with tomato sauce was priced at 42.50 -- over $20 more than the linguine with clam sauce on the regular menu. Would return, but stick to the regular menu next time.Special Features:
- Happy dining!TavrofanVIPDined on 8/31/2014We went for lunch because it was right near our theatre. What a wonderful discovery! It's a nice (Not touristy) clean place with great food and amazing service. Our waiter was a happy and energetic person. It was a pleasure eating there. Grilled baby octopus was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The (almost) Perfect Evening!foodloverDined on 8/30/2014I went to La Masseria, at the recommendation of a friend, for a special evening with good friends and family. Although much smaller than it appears on the web site, it was very nicely appointed. We were all impressed with the food - sharing several appetizers and a dessert, and everyone ordered something different from the main menu. Two pastas, one salad, one swordfish. Everything was wonderful! The pasta with caramelized onion and bacon was a favorite. Very nice wine list, fabulous cheesecake! Service was attentive and very professional. The only negative was the noise level but given it was a Saturday night right before most show times with a packed house, it was understandable. We would all recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:
- Excellent!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/30/2014We went for lunch on a recommendation from a friend. We sat outside on a beautiful day. The service was tremendous...waiter was great...made wonderful recommendations. Gnocchi was great...Bolognese was memorable...they even had a gluten free pasta for one in our party that was tremendous. We will return on our next trip to NYC. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!Lct80Dined on 8/25/2014We had a great meal! For four people we ordered 4 appetizers and 4 entrees and shared everything. Our waiter split of the food for us and remained close by to continue to help us with sharing!wine was fantastic and waiter had lots of info ration for us. Amazing off menu order - ask for gnocchi with black truffle!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Three strikes you're out!Adultsonly6tDined on 8/24/2014Disappointing meal after seeing a show! Service not good-very rushed. Don't think it's worth the money!Special Features:
- Perfection!BarbaraDined on 8/24/2014What a gem! The restaurant is a beautiful spot, and their Northern Italian dishes are so well prepared and delicious. I started with a crabmeat and arugula salad; my husband had carpaccio -- both were perfect. Next came our veal entrees, mine with artichokes and lemon, and his with fresh tomatoes. Wow again. We then split a wonderfu ricotta cheesecake. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerBruddahcDined on 8/23/2014Was a great time we had with family at the restaurant to celebrate my birthday. Food was great but my sister wasn't a huge fan of the soft shell crab. The ambiance was nice except a little noisy since we were seated near the kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unatentive waiternativeeastendDined on 8/22/2014I have eaten here before an have had wonderful meals and service. This time our waiter was terrible, very unatentive, even when he was talking to us he was not making eye contact just scanning the room. I am usually a very good tipper but only left him 10%.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointsLauraDined on 8/20/2014We have been dining at La Masseria for years and have NEVER been disappointed. This last visit I was accompanied by three girlfriends who were so impressed with the service and the desire of our waiter to get everything just right. Upon making the reservation, the restaurant actually called to confirm the time and made a note that we were to be at the theatre for a matinee. My friends took cards on the way out...they'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NeNaVIPDined on 8/20/2014Very satisfied with my first experience here. I"ll be back.Special Features:
- another great meal..lovegoodfoodVIPDined on 8/19/2014This is my second time visiting La Masseria. The second visit was just as wonderful as I remembered!! Food, ambiance, and service were all excellent! The preparation of the eggplant appetizer was wonderful, and the chicken and sausage was delicious! I will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CommentcheftobeDined on 8/19/2014Great for business lunch. the staff let's you conduct a business conversation while serving an excellent meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- La Masseria, a piece of Italy in NYfapradoBRDined on 8/18/2014I had the pleasure to have dinner at La Masseria Restaurant, NYC. Food and service are outstanding; besides that the ambience is amazing. I strong recommend La Masseria.Special Features:
- Outrageous!!LaCiociara1Dined on 8/18/2014One of the best meals... I'm a little picky when it comes to Italian food.. this place is as authentic as it gets... I'm mean AUTHENTIC.. out of this world DELIZIOSO!! the Rabbit was just like nonna used to make.. and the grilled octopus with cuddlefish.. abosolutely to DIE FOR.. a MUST!!! I particularly love the authentic ITALIAN WAITORS!! there is nothing like having food being served by gorgeous Italian waitors.. it just adds an extra zest to the Ambiance of PERFECT ITALIAN RESTAURANT!!! BRAVI!!!! COMPLIMENTI... Arrivederci a presto!!Special Features:
- Memories of ItalyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/17/2014We loved La Masseria. The food was exceptional, the service was wonderful and the atmosphere relaxing. The ambiance brought me back to our many trips to Italy and I so enjoyed speaking Italian with the waiters. We will recommend this place to our friends and family and plan on returning soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best ricotta cheesecake EVER!mommyDined on 8/17/2014Our second time there, pre-broadway matinee--good food, very quick service. Sat outside both times, loved that! This time the dessert was the reason I'll keep going back....homemade ricotta cheesecake, TO DIE FOR!!! Enough said!Special Features:
- Great Broadway diningOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/16/2014Unlike many of the restaurants in the theatre district, LA Masseria is not a tourist trap. Excellent Italian food with great service. We ate after a show and it was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another fine meal at la MasseriaIenjoyeatingoutVIPDined on 8/15/2014We ate at La Masseria for Restaurant week. Its Italian rustic décor and Italian waiters complement the ambiance and the delicious Italian menu lay the foundation for a great dining experience. We were a party of 5 and each enjoyed our appetizer, entrée and dessert immensely.. the buffalo mozzarella appetizer was excellent, and the chicken paillard, branzino and gnocchi entrees were each delicious. The Octopus salad sounded delicious and I will try it the next time I dine at La Masseria.Special Features:
- Always reliable!ShozgirlVIPDined on 8/13/2014Have been going for years and the food is consistently excellent. As is the service, ambiance, overall experience. The specials are numerous every night! They are accommodating about sharing and even often split the salad or app for you. Out of town guests really appreciate the authenticity as do I.Special Features:
- Just LovelyMkny27Dined on 8/13/2014We enjoyed a ladies lunch but I will definitely be back for dinner. The gnocchi was incredible and homemade. It was just lovely!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MaxxDined on 8/11/2014Great food using fresh ingredients. Great service.Special Features:
- ExcellentPunjabiikuriiDined on 8/10/2014Amazing food. I did not want the night to end. Service was very good and the atmosphere was good. It is expensive but I think worth itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect choice pre theateravidtravelerDined on 8/10/2014Went there pre theatre and was happy we did. Ser icexwas prompt, food came out hot abd the quality was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful both for bar & dinnerJeanandJohnDined on 8/10/2014The bar was a friendly atmosphere to meet friends - the food was prepared and presented with the delight for the palate as well as the eye! Overall a very delightful experience. Would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great choiceElliotDined on 8/10/2014Chose because it was one of the few restaurants participating in "Restaurant Week" AND including Sunday AND lunch. Thank you for that. We were in to see a show. Limited choices but all were delicious and coffee was included with the meal. A definite plus. I would definitely return for the dinner menu!Special Features:
- Very nice in theater districtOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/9/2014The service here was exceptional. The food was very good. Portion size was moderate but acceptable with the reasonable NYC prices. Would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.