La Mar Cebicheria Peruana
Pier 1 1/2
San Francisco, CA 94111Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
PeruvianPrice: $31 to $50
La Mar Cebicheria Peruana
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lamarsf.com/
- Phone: (415) 397-8880
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: 7 days a week 11:30am - 2:30pm Dinner: 7 days a week Sunday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Peruvian
- Executive Chef: Gastón Acurio
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Mayra Montoya (415)397-8880 x204
- Entertainment: Happy Hour Monday - Sunday 3:00pm - 6:00pm
- Cross Street: Washington and The Embarcadero
- Public Transit: Muni: To Embarcadero & Washington or Steuart & Market BART: To Embarcadero Station Ferry Service: Service to Marin County and Alameda at the Ferry Building. Public Water Taxi Service: There is a public pier behind the restaurant, for small boats to park free for a maximum of 3 hours.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking can be found on Pier 3. Lunch: $10 for first 2 hours ($5 each additional hour) Dinner: $20 Flat rate There is also a public parking across the street on the Northwest corner of Washington St. and the Embarcadero.
A word from La Mar Cebicheria Peruana
Inspired on the thousands of cebicherias found throughout Peru, La Mar Cebicheria Peruana, was created as an attempt to globalize and enshrine one of the best guarded treasures of Peruvian cuisine: cebiche, Peruvian seafood and the scenery created to enjoy them, the Peruvian style cebicheria.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerPeruvian
La Mar Cebicheria Peruana - Best Restaurants in Financial District / Embarcadero ›
La Mar Cebicheria Peruana reviews from OpenTable diners
324 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (211)scenic view (179)special occasion (141)great for outdoor dining (137)good for groups (133)hot spot (96)great for lunch (92)vibrant bar scene (83)romantic (76)neighborhood gem (50)notable wine list (43)great for brunch (34)late-night find (24)kid-friendly (17)Show More
- Great service!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/21/2014I asked through open table to have a good place for dinner because we were celebrating our 15 years anniversary. While the place wasn't so good, the service was outstanding! we had special attention all along from the waiters and sommelier. At the end of the meal, they brought us a plate with "Happy ANniversary" written on it with chocolate (and lots of hearts) and a candle. So sweet!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnneVIPDined on 11/15/2014THE FOOD IS AMAZING. THE MENU IS PACKED WITH CEVICHE AND OTHER SEAFOOD FARE. TRY THE CEVICHE SAMPLER, EMPANADA SAMPLER, AND ANY OF THE MAIN DISHES! EACH IS A UNIQUE MIXTURE OF FLAVORS. AND ASK FOR A TABLE ON THE BACK PATIO (ENCLOSED ON COOL DYAS) TO ENJOY THE BAY VIEW).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful experiencemslyseVIPDined on 11/15/2014This is a amazing space. Service and atmosphere are beautiful. The chicken and beef empanadas are very flavorful. The pisco sour and the piscina punch are a tropical delight. The loma saltado had a bit of a asian influence, but came back to peru tradition when as it was served over papas fritas (fat short fries).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice placeEDGARDined on 11/13/2014Nice restaurant, however the food was a litlle salty :-(Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/12/2014Having recently visited Peru, and knowing about Acurio, I really wanted to like La Mar. But it was so noisy and dark and the menu was so hard to read that I started out with a bad feeling which was never fully overcome, even though the food and drinks were very good. Oh well!Special Features:
- Outstanding Peruvian cuisineCRDiRVIPDined on 11/12/2014I discovered this restaurant after returning from a trip to Peru this year. The menu is extensive, creative, and authentic. On arrival, we were presented with complimentary house-made potato, sweet potato and plantain chips accompanied by wonderful aji (pepper) flavored dips. The halibut ceviche was out of this world! The fish was so fresh, citrus bright, and the presentation gorgeous. Our waiter was very helpful and knowledgeable, guiding us through the menu, which assured us of a terrific meal and dining experience. Other pluses: easy walk from the Embarcadero BART station, close to the Ferry Building, and nice view of the Bay from the patio tables. I have been back twice and plan to dine at La Mar again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Culinary Introduction to PeruGourmandontheRunDined on 11/8/2014One can't review La Mar without noting its waterfront location and scenic, romantic Bay Bridge view. But this restaurant needn't count on location to shine. Our party of four had a delicious introduction to Peruvian cuisine, thanks to our knowledgeable server and solid execution. A glance at the alluring cocktail menu launched our questions. "What's Pisco?" for example. Our server described the liquor and other flavors that make the drinks unique, then moved on to food definitions. After learning about various preparations and ingredients, we ordered a ceviche, a causa, some empanadas and a chicken anticucho, plus short ribs and a creamy mascarpone dessert with berries. Every bite was worthwhile, and we'll be back to try more!Special Features:
- Really bad experienceRosesDined on 11/8/2014It was our second and probably last dining in this place. Th staff was unfriendly and rude ( we had to remind 3 times about our reservation before we got seated). The waiter wasn't helpful( he started cleaning the table, taking everything away even before we had chance to pay and leave- very unprofessional and rude), service was super slow ( I even had to tell that we are losing our interest- never happened before), food was mediocre ( my grilled mix of beef, chicken and fish had a very profound gas taste). We felt really uncomfortable to leave any tip for this kind of experience- wish we wouldn't.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014The food was great, first time eating at Lamar's. Will go again! ThanksSpecial Features:
- Great Food, Service not to muchAgroDined on 11/6/2014I' ve been to La Mar in various cities including the original one in Lima. The food is always amazing, authentic and very good quality. Service there is in general very good, too. This time I found the host and waiter to be very arrogant. The waiter did not ask one single time if we were good on drinks or wanted to order more food. The staff refilling our water and actually bringing the food to our table was way more attentive and friendly than our waiter who just showed up to bring the menus and the bill. And even that seemed to be a nuisance to him. The table next to us had the same experience and commented on the experience. It's the first time ever I experienced something like this in one of Gaston's restaurants. GuessSpecial Features:
- Happy is better...OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/4/2014I have enjoyed all the happy hours I've spent here but dinner was awful. Don't get me wrong, the food was fair and drink good. But service and noise level was painful.Special Features:
- Disappointed1k2o3t4Dined on 11/2/2014i was so proud to take some Spanish colleagues from "Spain" to taste the super food from a fous Chef and the waiter don't speack Spanish and tell then that in San Francisco don't speack Spanish with a big accent in a Peruvian place..... Unbelievable !!!Special Features:
- almostsinglealmostsingleVIPDined on 11/1/2014Too noisy to eat on the deck; preferred to talk to the guest I was with rather than shout.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reunion LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/31/2014There were five of us, friends from high school. Location: on the waterfront (Pier 1.5) with fine views, adjacent to the Ferry Building and its commuter ferries as well as to City transportation. Auto parking would be an expensive challenge. Friendly bar with good drinks, lunch on what is an open deck in good weather and an enclosed area when it rains. Three of us had the chef's fixed lunch menu--nice portions of interesting food. Good wine selection, especially from Spain and Chile. Reasonable prices. Cordial professional service. No pressure to move along (it was a reunion, after all). I come here regularly, but it was new to the others. All of us will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just like Lima!RugueuxVIPDined on 10/30/2014Excellent cebiche and tiraditos. The decor and menu are so similar you could think you're in Lima and not San Francisco (though it is evident that the level of heat in the ceviches has been dumbed down and adapted to a less spice-inclined palate. Our Argentine-born waiter was very attentive and recommended an excellent Spanish white to accompany our seafood. The only downnote in the whole evening is that we got literally expelled at 11:14. A little disappointing but overall a highly recommended spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing flavorsmainemalDined on 10/26/2014Our first taste to nouveau-Peruvian cuisine won't be our last, I hope. Wonderful menu, every dish a treat. Excellent service. The menu allows one to try different styles of Peruvian food, from cebiche to empanada, etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't Find Value AnymoreMercoLoverDined on 10/25/2014I've dined at La Mar Before, and even though found menu prices up there, there was always a feeling that the food was the eternal equalizer for a justification of said prices. This last venture however, left my group and I feeling there was something amiss. Maybe this time the ceviche size was way too small; the fish in said ceviche, almost bland (were told it was Mahi Mahi); one of our Lomo Saltados' meat overcooked; and finally our desert, it took almost 10 minutes for our server to let us know it was coming(another 5 minutes), Picarones although nice and warm, just a little too chewy for our tastes. Appetizers way too salty (fried plantains, sweet potatoes etc).Special Features:
- Amazing.MargotDined on 10/25/2014So glad we tried this place. The service was great, particularly when we asked for a long break between our two courses. The food is amazing, with so much flavour, unlike many places in San Francisco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pickyeaterDined on 10/25/2014Great service. Refined food, yet felt like comfort food. Outstanding tuna seviche, delicious causas trio, w tuna, crab, vegi. Melt in your mouth beef dish; rich and flavorful salmon coconut milk dish. Complimentary light and crispy plantain chips. Delicious dipping sauces. Accommodating to our 7-year old picky eater.Special Features:
- Boyfriend's Birthday DinnerdebdebDined on 10/24/2014I took my boyfriend here for his birthday dinner, and we were both pleased with the ambiance, service, and food. Wine list was sufficient (there is also a good selection of cocktails, but I am not a cocktail person). After starting with ceviche, we ordered a vegetarian dish along with a sampler of empanadas. All were delicious, and offered a wonderful variety. The night ended with a beautiful birthday dessert (sort of an eclair with a small scoop of ice-cream and birthday candle), in addition to the dessert we ordered - a chocolate crepe, YUMMY! The staff was very sweet in acknowledging his birthday, and made the night feel extra special.Special Features:
- Had so much fun!Got2floDined on 10/24/2014We were there for my birthday which happened to be game 3 of the World Series. We started in the bar at 4:30pm which I highly recommend because you can sample the happy hour menu at a great price before dinner. The cebiche was amazing. The Causas are like a potato based sushi which was fun to try. The empanadas are sooo good. Loved the calamari. Because of the game we stayed in the bar to eat dinner. All the cocktails I tried I liked a lot because they were well balanced & weren't too sweet (pisco sour, raspberry gimlet). You can get a bit full off of the bar menu. We did & only ordered the cebiche sampler & two more Causas (my fave is the causa nikei). Loved the plantain & potato chips on the side to scoop up the cebiche.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Graet Food & LocationLuv2EatDined on 10/24/2014Third time to this restaurant. Delicious food and location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DiningyummytummyDined on 10/23/2014I introduced this restaurant to 2 friends and was happy to see a varied menu that would suit their taste. They enjoyed the food and the setting. Service was excellent; we were made to feel special and our questions were answered completely. Location was a plus because it happened to be a beautiful evening which allowed us to enjoy walking in the area. I hadn't been to the restaurant in quite some time, but you can be sure that I will return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Study the MenuNapamelVIPDined on 10/21/2014The entrance is rather surprising since it is so plain looking and the venue did not look that special. The bar was very busy. The main restaurant is a very large and rather noisy room. This made it hard to hear the waiter describe the menu which is why I suggest getting help before sitting down. There were items on the menu that I had never heard off so it would have been good if I had had a better understanding. The portions were not that large. It looks like the fancy presentations take too long to prepare so they are not that warm.Special Features:
- Great food!PittillaVIPDined on 10/20/2014Excellent food every time! Hard to get into without a reservation but worth the wait.Special Features:
- First Peruvian dinnerPoissonDined on 10/19/2014Excellent classic ceviche, with pacific halibut. Pisco sour also memorable. The restaurant is sensitive to sustainable fishing practices. Gorgeous decor and view. Lots to like here. Service was so-so.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 10/19/2014Wonderful, flavorful dishes and Jesse, our waiter, was so helpful and friendly. We followed his recommendations for appetizers and wine and were not disappointed. Can't wait to go back to sample some more of this delicious food.Special Features:
- Everything was tasty and delicious.CristianDined on 10/17/2014Causa Tasting - Comes with Limena(crab), Nikei(tuna), Vegetariana. Crab and tuna were both really good, vegetarian was OK. Everything was tasty and delicious but expensive for what you get.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful lunch for out-of-townerspetermeVIPDined on 10/17/2014Ate here with friends visiting from Australia. The combination of the patio, Peruvian cuisine, and pisco cocktails gave them an experience unlike what they get back home, and lead to a delightful lunch for us. The ceviches clasico and teiko held their own very well. My favorite dish was the causa with dungeness crab. The anticuchos corazon were fine, but nothing special. Between the three of us, we enjoyed the pisco sour, pisco punch and the Maracuya Sour, all of which we drank too quickly they were so tasty. If you can, sit on the patio overlooking the bay. The only issue was that our waiter was a little too aggressive. Being familiar with Peruvian cuisine, I was orienting my friends, and I got the sense he found that threatening.Special Features:
- Not a good valueOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/11/2014Average Peruvian fare with below average service and atmosphere. Perhaps the staff was just burned out after a long day. By the time our group arrived for a 7:30 PM reservation on a Saturday night there were no smiles on the staff's faces. They did their jobs but they all seemed angry about something. We sat outdoors the canvas walls were down so there was no view. The table was wobbly. It was loud. An $11.50 glass of sauvignon blanc was between 1/4 and 1/3 full, kind of like wine tasting. Over $300 for 4 people with one glass of wine, one cocktail, one beer, one non-alcolholic beverage and a bottle of sparklng water. The San Francisco health tax is added as a surcharge to the diners. Not a bad place but overrated and overpriced.Special Features:
- Awesome food and atmosphere.ZaguinhoEastBayerDined on 10/9/2014Had visits and they were amazed by the food variety and also the view. Deck table. All great!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A terrific experienceDinerSFVIPDined on 10/8/2014Very warm and nice greeting upon arrival with service throughout that was excellent. Nicholas provided knowledge on the menu with a rare skill of actually knowing every item and being able to talk about it well. His attention to our table and his style of showing up when apprpriate was clearly due to watching his tables and knowing what was going on. Well done Nicholas! On to the food...wow, fantastic. Nothing like good, fresh, creative cebiche served in proper amounts to share! Loved every bite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch dateFeldinoffDined on 10/7/2014Shared a variety of great plates including the classic ceviche - good stuff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentHappilyretired92662Dined on 10/6/2014We ate at La Mar in early October. It was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent restaurant!MonicaDined on 10/5/2014First time eating at La Mar and it was great! Love the ceviche... One of my favorite... Definitely I will come back :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty Peruvian foodAncientOneVIPDined on 10/4/2014We experienced tasty food and excellent service on a Saturday night. Has a view of the ships in the harbor - not the best view but not too bad. The Cerbiches are a must have at this restaurant.Special Features:
- Love it!!!lmrhDined on 10/4/2014After a disappointing dinner the night before at another Open Table restaurant, we decided to come here for lunch as they were booked for dinner, (a good sign). The only negative was that we made a reservation and really wanted to sit outside, but they were holding the 4-tops for bigger parties, bummer on a weekend where the temp hovered around 85 degrees Fahrenheit! Otherwise, what a treat; the pisco sours were yummy, the Cebiche (ceviche) La Mar (4 bowls to share, different sauces and ingredients), the crab causa, a delicious treat and the pulpo, grilled octopus was wonderful as well. We really wanted to try the picarones, a pumpkin & sweet potato fritter dessert, but were too full. We will come back, try this place...so good!!Special Features:
- Slightly disappointedfoodie123Dined on 10/3/2014My experience with La Mar was that it is overpriced for the quality and quantity of food you get. Even the service wasn't great! It was a family thing. My sister ordered the cuasa with polpa, it was very small and $16. I don't think it was worth the price, even based on the taste. I had the classic halibut cebiche, which was good but the fish was warm , which made me think it wasn't fresh. It was good, but didn't blow my taste buds. I have eaten a lot of cebiche and this wasn't anything special. I also ordered the quinoa sald, which was more like a potato dish with too many sweet sauces, and a garnish of greens. Overly sweet and way overpriced for the ingredients. I even had to ask for more greens which were brought out way overdressed.Special Features:
- Pristine seafood, beautiful settingOaklandfoodieDined on 10/3/2014I took my husband to la mar for a special celebration dinner for his 50 birthday. The food was fantastic, particularly the ceviches, which they are known for. Perfectly spiced, the sparkling flavors of the impeccably fresh fish totally shined through. And when the maitre d' heard that it was my husband's birthday, a special dessert appeared as if by magic. A memorable experience - we will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent DiningDiappointedVIPDined on 10/3/2014Food and service were excellent! one of my new favorite places to take people. Would eat there again.Special Features: