La Mar Cebicheria Peruana
Pier 1 1/2
San Francisco, CA 94111Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
PeruvianPrice: $31 to $50
La Mar Cebicheria Peruana
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lamarsf.com/
- Phone: 4153978880
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: 7 days a week 11:30am - 2:30pm Dinner: 7 days a week Sunday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Peruvian
- Executive Chef: Gastón Acurio
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Mayra Montoya (415)397-8880 x204
- Entertainment: Happy Hour Monday - Friday 3:00pm - 6:00pm
- Cross Street: Washington and The Embarcadero
- Public Transit: Muni: To Embarcadero & Washington or Steuart & Market BART: To Embarcadero Station Ferry Service: Service to Marin County and Alameda at the Ferry Building. Public Water Taxi Service: There is a public pier behind the restaurant, for small boats to park free for a maximum of 3 hours.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking can be found on Pier 3. Lunch: $10 for first 2 hours ($5 each additional hour) Dinner: $20 Flat rate There is also a public parking across the street on the Northwest corner of Washington St. and the Embarcadero.
A word from La Mar Cebicheria Peruana
Inspired on the thousands of cebicherias found throughout Peru, La Mar Cebicheria Peruana, was created as an attempt to globalize and enshrine one of the best guarded treasures of Peruvian cuisine: cebiche, Peruvian seafood and the scenery created to enjoy them, the Peruvian style cebicheria.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerPeruvian
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
La Mar Cebicheria Peruana - Best Restaurants in Financial District / Embarcadero ›
La Mar Cebicheria Peruana reviews from OpenTable diners
404 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (265)fit for foodies (224)special occasion (192)great for outdoor dining (185)good for groups (136)great for lunch (121)romantic (105)vibrant bar scene (104)hot spot (92)great for brunch (60)neighborhood gem (53)notable wine list (51)late-night find (28)kid-friendly (16)Show More
- Business lunchcatsDined on 8/27/2014It was lovely, good food and amazingly wonderful dessert. Can't always figure out what some of the dishes are but the waiter was extremely helpful in explaining and describing things. Service was a little slow, water glasses weren't kept full even though they'd come by and say they'd fill them, getting the check taken care of was a bit slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome as usual.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/26/2014We first attended a mixer party in the back bar area, then adjourned to the restaurant for dinner. Our wait staff was excellent. A shout out to Nick, who was witty, fun, and made us feel like he was favoring us in particular over the other guests. We liked that. We liked it A LOT. The food was terrific. The mixer had samples of various appetizers that I would never have thought to order myself, so it was a wonderful way to experience more of the restaurant's menu. For dinner we all had various kinds of ceviche and fish, which we devoured ravenously. Thanks for the extra helpings of plantain & sweet potato chips! Those things are wonderful and addictive. All in all, an excellent choice. You made me look really smart to my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LDHATLVIPDined on 8/24/2014Service was terrible. Lost food and drink orders! However, the food we got was good.Special Features:
- About foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014Being a peruvian lady, I need to point ou that "Arroz La Mar" had too much oil in its preparation, and the "picarons' were very few & thin pieces -also I couldn't taste the pumpkin in teh picarones.Special Features:
- Something ChangedShawnVIPDined on 8/24/2014Have been going to LaMar for the past several years. Unfortunately, something was wrong this time. The food portions were drastically small as if they were running out of supply. The coffee was water down so much, we had to send it back. So sad for such a good restaurant.
- overpriced and bland foodgrtmDined on 8/23/2014There are better options in town for Peruvian cuisine and for food at that price point in general. We had not been to La Mar for a while because we were disappointed before but thought we'd give it another try because the menu looked good. We had a ceviche which was rather bland, empanadas with crimini mushrooms which were not very tasty and a pan fried fish dish which should have included catch of the day. There were two tiny pieces of catch of the day and most of the plate, which cost $32, consisted of calamari. Not what we expected and we don't expect to return soon.
- WonderfulLuv2sailDined on 8/23/2014A Saturday birthday lunch date with my husband. The food and libations delicious, the service wonderful and food fabulous. We look forward to returning.Special Features:
- Great restaurantBettyVIPDined on 8/22/2014Great food, loved our waiter Enrique. Super nice and didn't rush us.Special Features:
- Machu in the city!SmallzDined on 8/19/2014Very charming, hip place along the water. The food is excellent and the drinks are amazing. I definitely recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great peruvian foodGermanvisitorDined on 8/18/2014Found the restaurant via Facebook and we really enjoyed the perfect food, lovely drinks and the service was excellent. It was such a great dinner, that we returned the next evening and everything was fantastic again. If we should come back to San Francisco we will definitely have dinner there againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- La mar......EddieVIPDined on 8/17/2014I have been wanting to eat here since it opened..I am so dissapointed ...what a tragedy..the service was the worst I have had in a while. The waiter was so horrible..he never checked on us. He never asked if we wanted more drinks....he definetly had tooooooo many tables ...I was ashamed to call myself a peruvian. I will never eat here again!!!
- good finddiner11Dined on 8/17/2014We really liked the restaurant and enjoyed the food. We sat out on the closed in patio which gave us a good view of the port but was a bit noisy from the boat traffic. it was our first time eating Peruvian food and we found the menu needed a lot of explaining. Our waiter Alex went through the menu very quickly and was a bit impatient with us when we asked him to go over some of the items again. I bet we are not the only customers that needed an explanation of the menu! The food came fairly quickly and was very fresh and well presented. Apart from our waiter, we enjoyed the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Adventurous EatingFabulousVIPDined on 8/17/2014My husband and I had a wonderful dinner here. It was our first time eating Peruvian food. We shared appetisers and small plates since that's the best way fo trying different foods. The cebiche mixto was ok - my husband liked it more than I did since I am not too fond of sushi anyway. The Causa Limena (potato dish) was very good and the mushroom empanadas were delicious. the fish (mahi mahi) and the chicken skewers were absolutely amazing! We also shared a dessert since we were really full by then but have to try desserts! Had the carob creme brulee but it was ok. Next time will try something different. Overall, it was a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:
- Trip to SFOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014This restaurant should be in the Top 10, continue like this guys and it gonna happen.Special Features:
- Marvelous Peruvian foodFabulousDined on 8/16/2014Food was exquisite lay prepared. We sampled a cibiche, a causa, and the empanadas. The empanadas were especially good, with a sauce that complemented the dish well. Service was efficient, knowledgeable, and efficient. An excellent experience.Special Features:
- great eveningfoodieluvDined on 8/16/2014Early dinner on Saturday night after the Giants win (YAY!) Everything was delicious. Highly recommend the ceviches and learned a lot about the different leches de tigre from our waiter. Fabulous cocktail with passion fruit juice. Mahi mahi skewer was well worth stuffing ourselves even though we were satiated after the empanadas. dessert list looked great even though we just couldn't. A new favorite restaurant.Special Features:
- Different and deliciousDavidADined on 8/16/2014We were a group of seven ranging in age from 8 to 53. We shared a variety of dishes - all were delicious. The quality of ingredients and skill in preparation were exceptional. While pricey, we felt it was worth it. The setting, the food and service make it a reasonable value. Hope they open a restaurant in Toronto!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good as usualnaninniVIPDined on 8/14/2014Been here 5 times and its always good. Highly recommend for taking guests from out of townSpecial Features:
- yumOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/12/2014Good food, good service. All would have been perfect if the hostess hadn't referred to my dad as my "significant other!"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent food, slow service-at lunch!OutoftownerVIPDined on 8/12/2014Getting seated was slow--it was clear that the person doing the seating forgot about us. When someone else asked if we had a reservation we were seated almost immediately. After that it took a while to get our menus, than longer to order, then still longer for the food to arrive. When the food arrived the skewer that was supposed to be coho was mahi-mahi, and the rest of of the dishes (cebiche, pork sandwich) were good but not inspired. Lovely location on the water, however, helped things.
- What a culinary delight!BarbaraFVIPDined on 8/10/2014I love this place. We ate here for the first time two weeks ago and then re-booked quickly so we could go back again. All of the food at this Peruvian restaurant is delicious. And the great thing is that it's so creative. There are items on their menu that you don't see anywhere else. What a refreshing change from the Asian and pan-Asian we see so much of in SF. Be sure to try one or more ceviches for starters (great to share!) and their empanadas are also great. But the really unique stuff is the entrees. You won't be disappointed!Special Features:
- Fresh, unusual food + great serviceLovesfoodDined on 8/9/2014We had dinner with friends on the enclosed sun deck--with heat lamps room was very cozy. Outstanding view of the bay and Bay bridge! But the food was the highlight, wonderfully prepared Peruvian dishes with a bit of an Asian fusion flair. Our waiter, from Lima (sorry I don't recall the name) was charming and very helpful with descriptions and menu suggestions. Had lunch here previously and enjoyed meal from open sun deck with stunning views. Street parking is quite easy on weekend nights. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- second visitIronik1Dined on 8/9/2014My concerns after my first visit had been addressed and our dining experience was memorable. Our server took time to enlighten us with new information about the offerings and give recommendations. The menu was more navigable than the menu for lunch in May. We had a wonderful dinner and will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Repeat CustomerMikeinOaklandDined on 8/8/2014I've been to La Mar many times for both business and pleasure. I found Friday night lacking. We had a late reservation and were put out on the back patio tent. A bit odd since tables were turning and there were only 2 other parties seated in the tent area which is a large space. Over time it filled in with another 4 parties, but it was still in the Outback. Service was so-so, food very good as expected. Overall I was left underwhelmed after having dined here about 5 other times. I expected a bit more from ambience and service.Special Features:
- Great Lunch Spotsaraheb832Dined on 8/8/2014Took a friend here while he was in town visiting, we both loved the food and the view! I don't know if we could have found a better Friday lunch spot!Special Features:
- Good food/Ok serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014I asked for window seat when I made my reservation - I didn't get it. When we asked the front desk girl if we could be seated by a window and they said yes and then took us to a table even further from the window..hmm. But they did surprise my fiancee with a birthday cake at the end which was nice. Great Ceviche - the tuna/avocado combo is the best. I will go back for the Ceviches. The whipped potatoes are good but pricy, I liked the one with lobster the best. Empanados are overpriced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice idea, spotty serviceMelroseDined on 8/7/2014We were excited to patronize La Cebicheria Peruana because it supports sustainable fishing practices. The food was good, sometimes very good. We were seated early in the lunch hour, but we had to wait more than 30 minutes for our entrees. There staff was active in our area, but we were still lost in the shuffle. When the food arrived, some had gone cold from waiting for the delayed entrees. Finally, they cleared our placemats, napkins, and cutlery while we were still sitting, as if anxious for us to leave. We do not want to say all the service is bad; other tables seemed well served. We may have been the unlucky ones. We hope the restaurant will make an effort to prevent future such situations.Special Features:
- We'll Return!zrdcDined on 8/5/2014The food at La Mar is excellent - exotic flavors, creative dishes, and attractive presentation. We especially enjoyed the cebiches and the desserts during our small plates dinner. Servers were efficient and attentive. La Mar is a large open restaurant that gets noisy, so I don't recommend it for intimate or romantic dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- only the bar at la marJacklynHydeDined on 8/3/2014The bar and the cocktails are the only redeeming aspect of this restaurant. The food was painfully mediocre and overly salty and our server never seemed to notice we were there. I would not come back based on service alone.Special Features:
- A Chilean neighbourDdrdentDined on 8/2/2014Excellent food. Well prepared. Fun flavours. Wish Gaston opened a restaurant in Vancouver.Special Features:
- The bestahn01112Dined on 8/2/2014I ate here last weekend. I'm a 26-yo male with a general culinary preference for salty American food (pizza, french fries, etc). I will eat at random ethnic or international restaurants not because I need variety (I don't) but because other, normal people with whom I like to dine, do. I guess it's the spice of life. Sushi, Chinese, seafood, Italian, Korean BBQ, etc. --- I have tried them all and they're all fine by me, but I've never been able to eat at one of those places in SF and say honestly to myself, "I would have rather eaten this food than a Toma burrito / a Roam hamburger / a Tony's pizza". Until now! I was blown away at La Mar. Native cocktails, empanadas, the cebiche sampler, the Yuca chips/sticks, and chicken skewers. My God...Special Features:
- Once more, fantastic!!CaroleeDined on 8/2/2014I was here only a week ago with my husband, but I came again with a friend. I was a little bit worried it would seem old to me because such a short time had passed. But no, the food was fantastic as usual, and I ordered something different. My friend had broiled heart, which is a scary thing for me, and she made me try it, it was delicious!!! The pisco sour is a wonderful way to start if you are new to this restaurant.Special Features:
- Poorly managed restaurant, bad servChrisVIPDined on 8/1/2014Food was fine but not as good as la mar in lima. Waiter at table was okay. The horrible experience was waiting 45 min with a reservation. No apologies. No polite comments. No complimentary drink at the bar. Just a rude front desk woman who was unable to communicate that we would eventually be seated at 9:15 pm when we had an 8:30 reservation. This was particularly hard for the pregnant woman in our group, left standing at the front desk for 45 min while suffering low blood sugar from the wait.
- If only I had something to drink..LeaRDined on 7/31/2014I love this place but throughout the entire night it seemed impossible to get a drink. While waiting for our table to be ready my guest and I went to the bar for a drink and were not served in the entire 10 minutes. We were actively ignored by the bar tender who was paying attention to just one needy couple asking for special drinks. Then we had to go to our table and wait again for the server to come by to try again to order a drink. Later a glass of wine took about 15 minutes to show up after my entree had already come out. dissapointingSpecial Features:
- Breezy dining in the walkthroughethanDined on 7/30/2014An area of the restaurant that is not in the main dining room is in the space that is a walkthrough of the waterfront sidewalk with large glass doors on either side. That's where we were seated and it looks kind of like a picnic area. Although the food is great, every time someone would walk through and open the glass doors, we received a blast of cold air. Next time, I would definitely request not to be seated in that area.Special Features:
- DELICIOUSArtichokeheartDined on 7/30/2014I would highly recommend this restaurant. The food was outstanding in every way and the service was memorable, high quality, and unpretentious.Special Features:
- Good food, subpar service.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/29/2014The food was good but not great. A dish with scallop as the first ingredient had just 1 piece of scallop. The service was lacking, it took a long time to get water after getting seated and our entrees came before the chips (free appetizer) arrived and we had to ask for the chips. We had to constantly flag the server for anything including the chips and had a long wait for the check at the end as well. It's nice and energetic inside but not that loud so you don't have to shout to have conversation.Special Features:
- Fabulous!GoodVIPDined on 7/29/2014Wonder fabulous experience.... going back again and again, thanksSpecial Features:
- Good food, great ambiencePnjabanDined on 7/29/2014I have enjoyed eating here twice in the past month for business lunches. With a very varied menu, California-sized healthy portions presented with style and a very nice tropical feel on the outdoor terrace, it's a midday treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch on patioReneeMDined on 7/28/2014Beautiful view and wonderful food makes La Mar one of my favorite restaurants in SF!Special Features: