La Mar Cebicheria Peruana
Pier 1 1/2
San Francisco, CA 94111Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
PeruvianPrice: $31 to $50
La Mar Cebicheria Peruana
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lamarsf.com/
- Phone: 4153978880
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: 7 days a week 11:30am - 2:30pm Dinner: 7 days a week Sunday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Peruvian
- Executive Chef: Gastón Acurio
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Mayra Montoya (415)397-8880 x204
- Entertainment: Happy Hour Monday - Sunday 3:00pm - 6:00pm
- Cross Street: Washington and The Embarcadero
- Public Transit: Muni: To Embarcadero & Washington or Steuart & Market BART: To Embarcadero Station Ferry Service: Service to Marin County and Alameda at the Ferry Building. Public Water Taxi Service: There is a public pier behind the restaurant, for small boats to park free for a maximum of 3 hours.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking can be found on Pier 3. Lunch: $10 for first 2 hours ($5 each additional hour) Dinner: $20 Flat rate There is also a public parking across the street on the Northwest corner of Washington St. and the Embarcadero.
A word from La Mar Cebicheria Peruana
Inspired on the thousands of cebicherias found throughout Peru, La Mar Cebicheria Peruana, was created as an attempt to globalize and enshrine one of the best guarded treasures of Peruvian cuisine: cebiche, Peruvian seafood and the scenery created to enjoy them, the Peruvian style cebicheria.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerPeruvian
La Mar Cebicheria Peruana - Best Restaurants in Financial District / Embarcadero ›
La Mar Cebicheria Peruana reviews from OpenTable diners
335 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (206)scenic view (192)great for outdoor dining (150)special occasion (148)good for groups (125)great for lunch (94)hot spot (89)vibrant bar scene (79)romantic (77)neighborhood gem (46)notable wine list (41)great for brunch (41)late-night find (22)kid-friendly (16)Show More
- Everything was tasty and delicious.CristianDined on 10/17/2014Causa Tasting - Comes with Limena(crab), Nikei(tuna), Vegetariana. Crab and tuna were both really good, vegetarian was OK. Everything was tasty and delicious but expensive for what you get.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful lunch for out-of-townerspetermeVIPDined on 10/17/2014Ate here with friends visiting from Australia. The combination of the patio, Peruvian cuisine, and pisco cocktails gave them an experience unlike what they get back home, and lead to a delightful lunch for us. The ceviches clasico and teiko held their own very well. My favorite dish was the causa with dungeness crab. The anticuchos corazon were fine, but nothing special. Between the three of us, we enjoyed the pisco sour, pisco punch and the Maracuya Sour, all of which we drank too quickly they were so tasty. If you can, sit on the patio overlooking the bay. The only issue was that our waiter was a little too aggressive. Being familiar with Peruvian cuisine, I was orienting my friends, and I got the sense he found that threatening.Special Features:
- Not a good valueOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/11/2014Average Peruvian fare with below average service and atmosphere. Perhaps the staff was just burned out after a long day. By the time our group arrived for a 7:30 PM reservation on a Saturday night there were no smiles on the staff's faces. They did their jobs but they all seemed angry about something. We sat outdoors the canvas walls were down so there was no view. The table was wobbly. It was loud. An $11.50 glass of sauvignon blanc was between 1/4 and 1/3 full, kind of like wine tasting. Over $300 for 4 people with one glass of wine, one cocktail, one beer, one non-alcolholic beverage and a bottle of sparklng water. The San Francisco health tax is added as a surcharge to the diners. Not a bad place but overrated and overpriced.Special Features:
- Awesome food and atmosphere.ZaguinhoEastBayerDined on 10/9/2014Had visits and they were amazed by the food variety and also the view. Deck table. All great!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A terrific experienceDinerSFVIPDined on 10/8/2014Very warm and nice greeting upon arrival with service throughout that was excellent. Nicholas provided knowledge on the menu with a rare skill of actually knowing every item and being able to talk about it well. His attention to our table and his style of showing up when apprpriate was clearly due to watching his tables and knowing what was going on. Well done Nicholas! On to the food...wow, fantastic. Nothing like good, fresh, creative cebiche served in proper amounts to share! Loved every bite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch dateFeldinoffDined on 10/7/2014Shared a variety of great plates including the classic ceviche - good stuff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentHappilyretired92662Dined on 10/6/2014We ate at La Mar in early October. It was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent restaurant!MonicaDined on 10/5/2014First time eating at La Mar and it was great! Love the ceviche... One of my favorite... Definitely I will come back :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty Peruvian foodAncientOneVIPDined on 10/4/2014We experienced tasty food and excellent service on a Saturday night. Has a view of the ships in the harbor - not the best view but not too bad. The Cerbiches are a must have at this restaurant.Special Features:
- Love it!!!lmrhDined on 10/4/2014After a disappointing dinner the night before at another Open Table restaurant, we decided to come here for lunch as they were booked for dinner, (a good sign). The only negative was that we made a reservation and really wanted to sit outside, but they were holding the 4-tops for bigger parties, bummer on a weekend where the temp hovered around 85 degrees Fahrenheit! Otherwise, what a treat; the pisco sours were yummy, the Cebiche (ceviche) La Mar (4 bowls to share, different sauces and ingredients), the crab causa, a delicious treat and the pulpo, grilled octopus was wonderful as well. We really wanted to try the picarones, a pumpkin & sweet potato fritter dessert, but were too full. We will come back, try this place...so good!!Special Features:
- Slightly disappointedfoodie123Dined on 10/3/2014My experience with La Mar was that it is overpriced for the quality and quantity of food you get. Even the service wasn't great! It was a family thing. My sister ordered the cuasa with polpa, it was very small and $16. I don't think it was worth the price, even based on the taste. I had the classic halibut cebiche, which was good but the fish was warm , which made me think it wasn't fresh. It was good, but didn't blow my taste buds. I have eaten a lot of cebiche and this wasn't anything special. I also ordered the quinoa sald, which was more like a potato dish with too many sweet sauces, and a garnish of greens. Overly sweet and way overpriced for the ingredients. I even had to ask for more greens which were brought out way overdressed.Special Features:
- Pristine seafood, beautiful settingOaklandfoodieDined on 10/3/2014I took my husband to la mar for a special celebration dinner for his 50 birthday. The food was fantastic, particularly the ceviches, which they are known for. Perfectly spiced, the sparkling flavors of the impeccably fresh fish totally shined through. And when the maitre d' heard that it was my husband's birthday, a special dessert appeared as if by magic. A memorable experience - we will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent DiningDiappointedVIPDined on 10/3/2014Food and service were excellent! one of my new favorite places to take people. Would eat there again.Special Features:
- Beautiful food and beautiful view!MissDined on 9/29/2014They have an indoor/outdoor patio area, so when the fog lifted halfway through lunch they flipped as with and we were outdoors! You must order the cebiche.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excusite place to eat.TemoDined on 9/28/2014I definitely would return to try more dishes. I love the relaxed feel of this place – like a comfortable dining room in a friends home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a top spot in SFHUlagirlVIPDined on 9/28/2014Although La Mar is a bit pricey, it is a true find. Because Peruvian food is so influenced by the Asians (Japanese and Chinese) who live there, the cuisine is very unique in South America. The various ceviches are all delicious and vary from from very mild to quite spicy. The fried rice-style quinoa is perfect for vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike. Don't miss having a pisco sour as it is the national cocktail of Peru (and Chile). Evenings the bar is truly hopping!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and atmosphereLive2eatDined on 9/27/2014La Mar offers scenic waterfront dining and delicious food. We spent three hours outdoors on a beautiful Saturday afternoon sharing small plates. We loved everything. The ceviches are inspired.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingSFOFOODIEVIPDined on 9/26/2014I had read the reviews about this place (good and bad) and decided because of the diverse menu and wine list to dine there. I loved the restaurant ambiance and location; however, the food and service were below par. The wine steward visited our table once when he brought the wine and set the bucket about 6 feet away. Every time we wanted another pour it was up to us to serve ourselves. The server (name escapes me) visited our table for a total of (3) times. Once to take our order (well over 25 minutes after we got there), once to bring us the bill and once to collect it. The food was bland at best. I had the "catch of the day". You would think a peruvian establishment could spice things up a bit....
- Everything but...TravelloverDined on 9/24/2014Everything but the size of the portions... I went there following a recomendation of a friend of mine. But we had to ask a lot of dishes in order not to be hungry. Because of it, we spent a lot of money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner reviewVacationDined on 9/21/2014We chose the restaurant off a list found on the internet of top restaurants in San Francisco. We were visiting and we had a birthday to celebrate. The food was amazing, restaurant décor and view great. We were really happy with our choice, the birthday person enjoyed everything. The only complaint would be that the service was not what we would expect from a restaurant of this caliber. The waiter was rushed, never really connected with any of us, and we felt somewhat neglected. After dinner we stopped at the front bar to wait for one of our party that went to the restroom. The bartender started a conversation with us - Jose - and was so nice, friendly, we decided to have a drink and stay a few minutes and enjoy the bar and him.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodSebastianVIPDined on 9/21/2014La Mar is a great seafood restaurant featuring excellent Peruvian food. Service is friendly. They serve some of the best seafood in San Francisco. Try to get a table out on the covered patio where you get a great view of the Bay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent CevicheMartaHDined on 9/21/2014The classic ceviche was exceptional! Will definitely return when back in SF. Somehow there was a bit of confusion in their delivery of food and drink orders to the correct tables. Not a big deal except it happened three times so it was rather funny when it happened more than once. Atmosphere and food was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food!MunecaDined on 9/19/2014This is my 3rd time having dinner here and I will always visit this restaurant when in San Francisco. They have an open kitchen and the minute you walk in the door, you can smell the freshness of the fish! A fantastic selection of delicious cocktails and the atmosphere is always energetic. This is by far the best Peruvian ceviche I have had. Can't wait to return to San Francisco so I can eat at La Mar again!Special Features:
- Excellent Peruvian FoodgreatasteDined on 9/14/2014We had a triple birthday celebration on a Sunday evening at La Mar. A circular table for six provided us with the right amount of privacy and ability to hear each other easily combined with a vibrant large restaurant active scene. The service was exceptional. Great suggestions on food and drink pairings. We were there four hours and closed the place. They eneded the meal with three delicious complimentary profiteroles to the three of us celebrating birthdays. Nice touch!Special Features:
- Has it all!QBwashereVIPDined on 9/14/2014Gorgeous views, exciting cuisine, attentive service, interesting wines - pretty much has it all! Enjoy the fried plantains & don't forget to order a box of empanadas to go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Peruvian FlavorsgdgalvanDined on 9/14/2014We were celebrating my husband's birthday. We had a very nice time, our reservation was at 1:45 p.m. (restaurant area closes at 2:00 p.m. but the bar remains open for happy hour), so it wasn't crowded. Table outdoors, perfect day. The attention was great, the food was excellent. We had appetizers: Empanada sampler (mushrooms, chicken, beef) fresh and tasty, classic cebiche and yucca frita (fried yucca), they were all great. I had the Salmon Ayacuchano, which was over quinoa seasoned with onions and Peruvian ingredients and sauce made with a Peruvian herb called huacatay, delicious! My husband had the pork adobo sandwich with fries on the side, very tasty. Ahead of time (because they are fresh made) we ordered Picarones for dessert!Special Features:
- All Downhill...PabloEatsDined on 9/13/2014It all started with a very cold reception from the hostess & it all went down hill after that. The hostess was not very friendly & unfortunately it set the tone for evening. We weren't even seated in the main dining room, we were sat at the overflow tables near the bar. These are the tables that are normally reserved for customers without a reservation. The lighting in this area was blinding due to excessive light coming from an outside hallway. Not exactly the "ambiance" I was expecting. The server was okay, not very friendly & didn't take the time to describe any of the plates other than "these are cold plates" & "these are warm plates." She also disappeared near the end of our meal. The food itself was only so-so. Nothing memorable.
- Hostess Staff Needs WorkUandiDined on 9/13/2014The restaurant is beautiful. The menu delicious but pricey. For the price my group and I expected proper service. We were asked to wait in the bar while our table was being prepared. After 20 minutes we were still waiting for our drinks. The hostess said our table was ready. We asked if the drinks could be brought to our table and she said no we would have to close out first. After that we went to the hostess stand and were ignored for 10 more minutes. Finally we were seated and the waitress was very nice. However I was treating very special guests and this behavior made certain I will not be returning due to the disrespectful host staff.
- wowDaveVIPDined on 9/13/2014The food was over the top. The special grilled prawns with the potatoes was amazing. Creative, flavorful and delicious.Special Features:
- La Mar great for an afternoon lunchCraigolaDined on 9/13/2014This is the fourth time we have been to La Mar on a nice day on the water and we have enjoyed each of our visits. Sitting out on the terrace affords a wonderful view. The food is consistently excellent and the service has always been good: the waiters are both knowledgable and helpful. Its also a good value for the price. And the Pisco Sours are delicious.Special Features:
- Good but small drinksOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/12/2014Good but small drinks portions are on the small side as well, La Mar, Lima is much better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellente!NeeReviewDined on 9/12/2014Every time I come, there's something new that's delightful and delicious. This time it was the week special, caou caou (if I spelled it right). A seafood chowder, with lobster, clams, mussels, and squid, in a fabulous bright golden sauce. It was the most expensive thing on the menu, but definitely worth every penny. We came early and got to sit out on the patio, watching twilight and seeing the lights of the Bay Bridge. It was definitely noisy, even early, and we had to talk very loudly, but again, it was worth the effort. Our server was wonderful. Her recommendations worked perfectly for us, and we loved everything we got. All in all, a spectacular experience. Again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and beautiful foodwhiteweinVIPDined on 9/12/2014This was my second time at La Mar. Both were outstanding. The food is fresh, tasty, and beautifully presented. We were delighted both visits and will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Peruvian on the Bay!FoodyoneVIPDined on 9/12/2014Excellent food and very capable service at an outdoor table overlooking the Bay......cannot beat this! We shared a cebiche of fresh delicious seafood, the sampler of assorted empanadas, tender steak on a skewer, and fantastic giant prawns.....everything was fresh, well prepared and delicious! Great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impressed my food snob guest!ReneeDinesDined on 9/10/2014Where to take my food snob NYC based friend after work? I was worried because he name drops Danko and French Laundry, but I love la mar and its where I take MY VIP's! So we took an easy stroll from the Financial District, got seated on the patio and ordered a perfect wine ( they have many) to accompany our scallops, shrimp, and octopus delights. He kept saying " what's in this, how do they do the sauces, it's so good!" He had never been to la mar, and was very impressed. It was my third visit in three months, see you again soon!Special Features:
- Great Bayside LunchLongTimeFoodieVIPDined on 9/10/2014Alway delicious, and the outdoor view cannot be beat.Special Features:
- Disappointing at $220 for 2 peopleeasytopleaseDined on 9/9/2014Reserved a table for a light & easy birthday dinner. The ceviche was just 'OK', and nothing special in comparison to Destino & Limon (though La Mar is more expensive). Service was not rude, but not friendly or welcoming in any way. The grilled octopus skewer had a nice light char, but nothing special. Dinner -- picante de mariscos & plancha de mariscos -- 2 dishes shared, was the biggest letdown. The seafood was fresh but the dish lacked flavor and basic seasoning. With the attitude & price point of this place, you would expect more from the food. Seems to cater to an older crowd, ambiance is ok although the dining room feels old. The pisco sour is very nice, I'd come back for a drink or two and skip the food.
- Team LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/9/2014We ordered family style, the food came quick and was good. Dessert menu was really good. Noise level on the day we dined was low, so we could talk and still hear each other.Special Features:
- Always a must stop when in SFO...BlvnFoodieVIPDined on 9/6/2014As always the Pisco Sour was spot on to start. Notable was a quinoa seafood stir fry which was out of this world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Change of pace cuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/6/2014This is my third time to La Mar and the food has been consistent on all occasions, excellent. A visual and tasty presentation. Would recommend this place to someone that is slightly adventurous with the food pairings and combinations. Service was timely and polite. Prices fair for this type of cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.