La Mar Cebicheria Peruana
Pier 1 1/2
San Francisco, CA 94111Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
PeruvianPrice: $31 to $50
La Mar Cebicheria Peruana
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lamarsf.com/
- Phone: 4153978880
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: 7 days a week 11:30am - 2:30pm Dinner: 7 days a week Sunday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Peruvian
- Executive Chef: Gastón Acurio
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Mayra Montoya (415)397-8880 x204
- Entertainment: Happy Hour Monday - Sunday 3:00pm - 6:00pm
- Cross Street: Washington and The Embarcadero
- Public Transit: Muni: To Embarcadero & Washington or Steuart & Market BART: To Embarcadero Station Ferry Service: Service to Marin County and Alameda at the Ferry Building. Public Water Taxi Service: There is a public pier behind the restaurant, for small boats to park free for a maximum of 3 hours.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking can be found on Pier 3. Lunch: $10 for first 2 hours ($5 each additional hour) Dinner: $20 Flat rate There is also a public parking across the street on the Northwest corner of Washington St. and the Embarcadero.
A word from La Mar Cebicheria Peruana
Inspired on the thousands of cebicherias found throughout Peru, La Mar Cebicheria Peruana, was created as an attempt to globalize and enshrine one of the best guarded treasures of Peruvian cuisine: cebiche, Peruvian seafood and the scenery created to enjoy them, the Peruvian style cebicheria.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerPeruvian
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
La Mar Cebicheria Peruana - Best Restaurants in Financial District / Embarcadero ›
La Mar Cebicheria Peruana reviews from OpenTable diners
419 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (271)fit for foodies (238)special occasion (196)great for outdoor dining (185)good for groups (156)great for lunch (125)vibrant bar scene (108)romantic (105)hot spot (101)great for brunch (59)neighborhood gem (58)notable wine list (51)late-night find (30)kid-friendly (18)Show More
- Excellent Peruvian FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014We had a triple birthday celebration on a Sunday evening at La Mar. A circular table for six provided us with the right amount of privacy and ability to hear each other easily combined with a vibrant large restaurant active scene. The service was exceptional. Great suggestions on food and drink pairings. We were there four hours and closed the place. They eneded the meal with three delicious complimentary profiteroles to the three of us celebrating birthdays. Nice touch!Special Features:
- Has it all!QBwashereVIPDined on 9/14/2014Gorgeous views, exciting cuisine, attentive service, interesting wines - pretty much has it all! Enjoy the fried plantains & don't forget to order a box of empanadas to go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All Downhill...OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/13/2014It all started with a very cold reception from the hostess & it all went down hill after that. The hostess was not very friendly & unfortunately it set the tone for evening. We weren't even seated in the main dining room, we were sat at the overflow tables near the bar. These are the tables that are normally reserved for customers without a reservation. The lighting in this area was blinding due to excessive light coming from an outside hallway. Not exactly the "ambiance" I was expecting. The server was okay, not very friendly & didn't take the time to describe any of the plates other than "these are cold plates" & "these are warm plates." She also disappeared near the end of our meal. The food itself was only so-so. Nothing memorable.
- Hostess Staff Needs WorkUandiDined on 9/13/2014The restaurant is beautiful. The menu delicious but pricey. For the price my group and I expected proper service. We were asked to wait in the bar while our table was being prepared. After 20 minutes we were still waiting for our drinks. The hostess said our table was ready. We asked if the drinks could be brought to our table and she said no we would have to close out first. After that we went to the hostess stand and were ignored for 10 more minutes. Finally we were seated and the waitress was very nice. However I was treating very special guests and this behavior made certain I will not be returning due to the disrespectful host staff.
- wowDaveVIPDined on 9/13/2014The food was over the top. The special grilled prawns with the potatoes was amazing. Creative, flavorful and delicious.Special Features:
- Excellente!NeeReviewDined on 9/12/2014Every time I come, there's something new that's delightful and delicious. This time it was the week special, caou caou (if I spelled it right). A seafood chowder, with lobster, clams, mussels, and squid, in a fabulous bright golden sauce. It was the most expensive thing on the menu, but definitely worth every penny. We came early and got to sit out on the patio, watching twilight and seeing the lights of the Bay Bridge. It was definitely noisy, even early, and we had to talk very loudly, but again, it was worth the effort. Our server was wonderful. Her recommendations worked perfectly for us, and we loved everything we got. All in all, a spectacular experience. Again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and beautiful foodwhiteweinVIPDined on 9/12/2014This was my second time at La Mar. Both were outstanding. The food is fresh, tasty, and beautifully presented. We were delighted both visits and will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Peruvian on the Bay!FoodyoneVIPDined on 9/12/2014Excellent food and very capable service at an outdoor table overlooking the Bay......cannot beat this! We shared a cebiche of fresh delicious seafood, the sampler of assorted empanadas, tender steak on a skewer, and fantastic giant prawns.....everything was fresh, well prepared and delicious! Great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impressed my food snob guest!ReneeDinesDined on 9/10/2014Where to take my food snob NYC based friend after work? I was worried because he name drops Danko and French Laundry, but I love la mar and its where I take MY VIP's! So we took an easy stroll from the Financial District, got seated on the patio and ordered a perfect wine ( they have many) to accompany our scallops, shrimp, and octopus delights. He kept saying " what's in this, how do they do the sauces, it's so good!" He had never been to la mar, and was very impressed. It was my third visit in three months, see you again soon!Special Features:
- Great Bayside LunchLongTimeFoodieVIPDined on 9/10/2014Alway delicious, and the outdoor view cannot be beat.Special Features:
- Disappointing at $220 for 2 peopleeasytopleaseDined on 9/9/2014Reserved a table for a light & easy birthday dinner. The ceviche was just 'OK', and nothing special in comparison to Destino & Limon (though La Mar is more expensive). Service was not rude, but not friendly or welcoming in any way. The grilled octopus skewer had a nice light char, but nothing special. Dinner -- picante de mariscos & plancha de mariscos -- 2 dishes shared, was the biggest letdown. The seafood was fresh but the dish lacked flavor and basic seasoning. With the attitude & price point of this place, you would expect more from the food. Seems to cater to an older crowd, ambiance is ok although the dining room feels old. The pisco sour is very nice, I'd come back for a drink or two and skip the food.
- Team LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/9/2014We ordered family style, the food came quick and was good. Dessert menu was really good. Noise level on the day we dined was low, so we could talk and still hear each other.Special Features:
- Always a must stop when in SFO...BlvnFoodieVIPDined on 9/6/2014As always the Pisco Sour was spot on to start. Notable was a quinoa seafood stir fry which was out of this world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Change of pace cuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/6/2014This is my third time to La Mar and the food has been consistent on all occasions, excellent. A visual and tasty presentation. Would recommend this place to someone that is slightly adventurous with the food pairings and combinations. Service was timely and polite. Prices fair for this type of cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Peruvian delight indeed!KristinaDined on 9/5/2014Everything my party and I ordered was delicious but the cebiches were awesome!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CLASSYJonnyDined on 9/5/2014There is not one thing to say negative about the overall dining/drinking experience at this restaurant. Everything from the moment we walked in was just amazing. The entire staff was friendly, engaging and always there before you could request anything else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great location, expensive foodAnidamDined on 9/4/2014We went for lunch and they didn't want to give us a table outside in the shade because we were only a party of two. OK, lets go in the sun. Asked for a pisco sour which was very good. They brought some fried potatoes and sweet potatoes that were delicious. Then came a causa limeña, very small portion but very nice. Then.....nothing for more than half an hour, no food, no waiters. Finally the ceviches arrive, again small portions, but again delicious. Went to talk to a Peruvian lady administrator and said: Hi, I am Peruvian, and wanted to congratulate you on the food, I thought that everything was authentic and delicious. She looked annoyed at me and said: sorry, I do not have time to talk, systems are not working. Good food, awful service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun fun funLocalVIPDined on 9/1/2014Great eclectic atmosphere. Table for 5 with great views. So much to choose from. The ceviche sampling was delicious. Loved the crab and ordered more of that one and the ahi. Drinks were great, not too sweet. Had a spicy something, that would have again. Parking close by, and $15 for a holiday was reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ask for NickGoGiantsDined on 8/31/2014First, we had cocktails in the busy bar; we each tried one of their signature Pisco drinks. Good but probably would not order again. I would recommend eating at the bar or dining room. Our waiter, Nick, was fantastic. Would highly recommend you follow his advice. For dinner, we had a crokenta (sp?) special ($20) and the cebiche tasting plate ($34). Wine and desert (chocolate cake with raspberry sauce). I thought the four little servings of fish was good and tasty but pricy. Desert, recommended by Nick, was wonderful! I would like to go back and try some other things on the menu. The crokenta was very good but only three prawns on top.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best ceviche I ever haveCesarDined on 8/30/2014I love sea food, but nothing to compete with La Mar Cebicheria.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lost a little?FoodFanDined on 8/30/2014Always been pricey but exciting. This time, food lacked the vibrant flavors I remembered. Not worth the money.Special Features:
- Food good as always; service slowGregLVIPDined on 8/29/2014Went for late lunch on Friday and there were probably too many diners and not enough servers. Our guy was trying hard, but over-stretched. Food continues to be excellent, especially the lomo saltado which was remarkably tender.Special Features:
- Business lunchcatsDined on 8/27/2014It was lovely, good food and amazingly wonderful dessert. Can't always figure out what some of the dishes are but the waiter was extremely helpful in explaining and describing things. Service was a little slow, water glasses weren't kept full even though they'd come by and say they'd fill them, getting the check taken care of was a bit slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome as usual.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/26/2014We first attended a mixer party in the back bar area, then adjourned to the restaurant for dinner. Our wait staff was excellent. A shout out to Nick, who was witty, fun, and made us feel like he was favoring us in particular over the other guests. We liked that. We liked it A LOT. The food was terrific. The mixer had samples of various appetizers that I would never have thought to order myself, so it was a wonderful way to experience more of the restaurant's menu. For dinner we all had various kinds of ceviche and fish, which we devoured ravenously. Thanks for the extra helpings of plantain & sweet potato chips! Those things are wonderful and addictive. All in all, an excellent choice. You made me look really smart to my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LDHATLVIPDined on 8/24/2014Service was terrible. Lost food and drink orders! However, the food we got was good.Special Features:
- About foodSonaiDined on 8/24/2014Being a peruvian lady, I need to point ou that "Arroz La Mar" had too much oil in its preparation, and the "picarons' were very few & thin pieces -also I couldn't taste the pumpkin in teh picarones.Special Features:
- Something ChangedShawnVIPDined on 8/24/2014Have been going to LaMar for the past several years. Unfortunately, something was wrong this time. The food portions were drastically small as if they were running out of supply. The coffee was water down so much, we had to send it back. So sad for such a good restaurant.
- overpriced and bland foodgrtmDined on 8/23/2014There are better options in town for Peruvian cuisine and for food at that price point in general. We had not been to La Mar for a while because we were disappointed before but thought we'd give it another try because the menu looked good. We had a ceviche which was rather bland, empanadas with crimini mushrooms which were not very tasty and a pan fried fish dish which should have included catch of the day. There were two tiny pieces of catch of the day and most of the plate, which cost $32, consisted of calamari. Not what we expected and we don't expect to return soon.
- WonderfulLuv2sailDined on 8/23/2014A Saturday birthday lunch date with my husband. The food and libations delicious, the service wonderful and food fabulous. We look forward to returning.Special Features:
- Great restaurantBettyVIPDined on 8/22/2014Great food, loved our waiter Enrique. Super nice and didn't rush us.Special Features:
- Machu in the city!SmallzDined on 8/19/2014Very charming, hip place along the water. The food is excellent and the drinks are amazing. I definitely recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great peruvian foodGermanvisitorDined on 8/18/2014Found the restaurant via Facebook and we really enjoyed the perfect food, lovely drinks and the service was excellent. It was such a great dinner, that we returned the next evening and everything was fantastic again. If we should come back to San Francisco we will definitely have dinner there againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- La mar......EddieVIPDined on 8/17/2014I have been wanting to eat here since it opened..I am so dissapointed ...what a tragedy..the service was the worst I have had in a while. The waiter was so horrible..he never checked on us. He never asked if we wanted more drinks....he definetly had tooooooo many tables ...I was ashamed to call myself a peruvian. I will never eat here again!!!
- good finddiner11Dined on 8/17/2014We really liked the restaurant and enjoyed the food. We sat out on the closed in patio which gave us a good view of the port but was a bit noisy from the boat traffic. it was our first time eating Peruvian food and we found the menu needed a lot of explaining. Our waiter Alex went through the menu very quickly and was a bit impatient with us when we asked him to go over some of the items again. I bet we are not the only customers that needed an explanation of the menu! The food came fairly quickly and was very fresh and well presented. Apart from our waiter, we enjoyed the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Adventurous EatingFabulousVIPDined on 8/17/2014My husband and I had a wonderful dinner here. It was our first time eating Peruvian food. We shared appetisers and small plates since that's the best way fo trying different foods. The cebiche mixto was ok - my husband liked it more than I did since I am not too fond of sushi anyway. The Causa Limena (potato dish) was very good and the mushroom empanadas were delicious. the fish (mahi mahi) and the chicken skewers were absolutely amazing! We also shared a dessert since we were really full by then but have to try desserts! Had the carob creme brulee but it was ok. Next time will try something different. Overall, it was a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:
- Trip to SFOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014This restaurant should be in the Top 10, continue like this guys and it gonna happen.Special Features:
- Marvelous Peruvian foodFabulousDined on 8/16/2014Food was exquisite lay prepared. We sampled a cibiche, a causa, and the empanadas. The empanadas were especially good, with a sauce that complemented the dish well. Service was efficient, knowledgeable, and efficient. An excellent experience.Special Features:
- great eveningfoodieluvDined on 8/16/2014Early dinner on Saturday night after the Giants win (YAY!) Everything was delicious. Highly recommend the ceviches and learned a lot about the different leches de tigre from our waiter. Fabulous cocktail with passion fruit juice. Mahi mahi skewer was well worth stuffing ourselves even though we were satiated after the empanadas. dessert list looked great even though we just couldn't. A new favorite restaurant.Special Features:
- Different and deliciousDavidADined on 8/16/2014We were a group of seven ranging in age from 8 to 53. We shared a variety of dishes - all were delicious. The quality of ingredients and skill in preparation were exceptional. While pricey, we felt it was worth it. The setting, the food and service make it a reasonable value. Hope they open a restaurant in Toronto!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good as usualnaninniVIPDined on 8/14/2014Been here 5 times and its always good. Highly recommend for taking guests from out of townSpecial Features: