La Gondola - Belmont
Chicago, IL 60657Neighborhood:
Lakeview / East Lakeview
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
La Gondola - Belmont
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.lagondolachicago.com/
- Phone: 7739359011
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:45am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Everyday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian, Pizzeria
- Executive Chef: Nino Coronas ~ Sardinia
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We offer a full catering service from each location, call Andy direct and "Give them something to talk about" at your next event. delivery available. we can work with any budget and feed 20-1000 people.
- Entertainment: We have live music every other Saturday from 7-10pm Nico Dipiero on keyboard and singing Dean, Frank and much more.
- Special Events: Please see our website or Facebook Fan page for current events. up next is our NYE 80's Party on Saturday December 31st from 9pm to 2am
- Cross Street: Lakewood
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: La Gondola Belmont has FREE off street parking after 7pm Sunday thru Thursday and Valet parking for $10 on Friday and Saturday after 7pm. street parking is also available with meters on the North side of Belmont and free street parking on the South Side of Belmont, signs are posted on both sides please read.
A word from La Gondola - Belmont
Serving the best Chicago-style pizza and homemade Italian food, La Gondola Italian Restaurant is Zagat-rated since 1991. With our fresh ingredients, hand-tossed pizza dough, and award-winning italian food; La Gondola Italian Restaurant offers takeout, delivery and dining room service seven days a week.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
La Gondola - Belmont reviews from OpenTable diners
- mdgcm01mdgcm01VIPDined on 5/16/2014The restaurant was closed when we arrived for our opentable reservation. Disappointing that there wasn't some way to let us know beforehand.Special Features:
- 2nd visit to LaGondola onwittyVIPDined on 3/8/20142nd visit to LaGondola on Belmont- good food- reasonable prices- very convenient to attending the Theatre- Stage 773 & Theatre/ Wit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice neighborhood eaterySteverino1946Dined on 3/8/2014This is a nice Italian restaurant with a variety of menu choices at moderate prices. Great location on Belmont just a block away from theatres. Noise level is relatively low, so you can actually have a conversation with your dinner companion(s). Service was very efficient and friendly. Food portions are generous and served in a timely fashion. I would definitely recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ClosedDrkrweDined on 2/18/2014We arrived a few minutes early for our reservation to find a sign on the door saying they had closed a couple of days before.
- Great food, but lack on serviceDinifoDined on 2/14/2014We went on Valentines day. We were seated, they even took a picture for us. Server came right out and got us drinks and then we waited and waited for 20 plus minutes for him to take our order. The food came out quickly and yet the waiter did not come back for well over 20 minutes to check on drinks or anything. We finally had to get another waiter to refill our glasses. Overall a great place. Wish the bar didn't have tv's viewable to the entire restaurant, but I am just anti-tv for a dinner out.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Italian, Convenient Locationjgelliott62Dined on 2/14/2014My wife and I had Valentine's Dinner at La Gondola Restaurant. Although the service was somewhat slow, the food was delicious, the atmosphere acceptable and the location convenient to theatres across the street. We had the chopped salad, made especially tasty with the house dressing. Italian is my wife's favorite and the eggplant parmesan was as good as she's had. We'll definitely return.Special Features:
- Family atmosphere, great fortownieDined on 2/7/2014Family atmosphere, great for families with children of any age. Portions are huge, so a single dish can make a meal for two or three people. This must occur often, as there is a $5 fee for splitting a single portion onto two plates -- avoid this by splitting the food at your table. Staff are friendly and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian EatingDeeDeeDinerDined on 2/7/2014Great family restaurant, efficient, knowledgeable wait staff and delicious food. Overall a great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Dining Prior To TheaterGtubaDined on 2/7/2014Dined here prior to a show at Stage 773. Easy walk to the theater. Food was very enjoyable and portions were more than ample. The tiramisu is a must. Staff couldn't have been more friendly and accommodating. Found convenient on street parking nearby.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Less is not more!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/30/2014Sorry to see that they dropped the soup/salad selection with an entree. If you're paying mid-$20 for an entree, seems that they could throw in a cup of soup on a cold winter's day like they used to.
- Not the worst but not the bestkcarr71Dined on 1/25/2014The food was okay. I ordered the eggplant parmesan per the server's suggestion. The portions were large but the taste was flat. There were not enough seasonings in the marinara sauce. The serve was on point. He knew the menu and wine list and was courteous and quick with his service. He came over to check how our meal was going and was timely with the check. I will try the restaurant again but will order something different.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- After the showtommyDined on 1/19/2014Came with 9 friends for dinner following a show at SketchFest. they had our reservation, table was set - very nice. Excellent service. Will come again. Large portions, lots of beer choices. this was our second time here.
- Meh...CHIBDFDined on 1/18/2014First time visit to this restaurant after seeing a show across the street. The bruschetta we ordered had been over peppered and so that was pretty much all you tasted when you ate it. My pasta with sausage and mushrooms was pretty good but my fiancee gnocchi dish was pretty bland. He's typically a bring the leftovers home sort but he only ate a small portion and had them take it away. Our waitress was nice and the decor of the place was fine. Can't say that we'll be back next time we are in the area since we were very unimpressed with our first visit.
- Good Food and ConvenientOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/17/2014Restaurant outward appearance very deceiving. Looks more like a small bar/tavern from outside, but inside was pleasantly bigger and more like a restaurant. Food was VERY good. Service was also VERY good and friendly. Convenience of location to Stage 773 before a show was AWESOME! Would recommend to others for all these reasons!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My daughter was performingMaceVIPDined on 1/17/2014My daughter was performing at stage773 so this was a nice find. Friday night the service was fine, and food good. We returned Saturday and the waiter was an idiot. When asked for a glass for beer he said the glass may be warm, and other thing such as this.
- OutstandingAspecVIPDined on 1/17/2014Delicious , Delicious, Delicious. Huge portions - great Italian food - kid friendlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- we have been coming her forOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 12/30/2013we have been coming her for the last few years. They removed many of their menu selections and now charge for soup or salad with entree. This used to be included
- first time at the BelmontwittyVIPDined on 12/28/2013first time at the Belmont location- convenient to the wit & stage 773 theaters across the streetSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great to eat at la GondolaStubbyDined on 12/26/2013The egg plant parmigiana was delicious. The marinara sauce is so good, my friend took home a quart. The bill was acceptable and, I hate to say this, too low for the quality food and service received. My all-time favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too coldJoniGDined on 12/14/2013Not the food, the temperature of the room. It wan't even that cold outside, however seemed like they wanted to spare the heat. Food was okay, not the best. Possibly the smaller LaGondola is better?Special Features:
- DisappointedNedderDined on 12/14/2013It was cold in the restaurant, the Chicken Parm was too thick and the service was slow.
- Not as good as it used toOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/14/2013Not as good as it used to be... Limited menu, and our favorite waiter is gone.
- La Gondola - Belmont Ave.jemangeDined on 12/14/2013Food was fair, not great, but ok if you're a teen boy and very hungry. We thought the dining area was pretty uninspiring. Red checkered table cloths and candles would have made the place seem warmer and more inviting. The pasta was thick and chewy, not the delicate, melt-in-your mouth tender pasta I was hoping for. The Ceasar salad was a bowl of lettuce with cheap parmesan shaken over the top. The bread was cold and cheap and not worth the olive oil. Sorry, La Gondola, but you need to 'up your game'.
- Great Italian restaurant.ChicoDined on 12/12/2013Great Italian restaurant. Great choice for dinner if you are catching a show across the street at Stage 773 or Theater Wit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Chiapino was almost allchoosiechewer1Dined on 12/12/2013The Chiapino was almost all muscles. The menu made it sound like a good seafood mixture.
- Food excellent - pleasantdinerDined on 12/11/2013Food excellent - pleasant server. Only glitch is parking - wish they had access to parking lot next door - very inconvenient not being able to park there. Friend had to find valet from theater who was awol.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food food, nice atmosphere.SalamanderVIPDined on 12/4/2013Went to La Gondola because it was convenient to the Theater Bldg. Based on other Open Table reviews, we were leery and weren't sure what to expect. All in all, it was a very nice experience. It's not the best Italian food in Chicago, but it was certainly good and plentiful. Prices are reasonable, even if the soup and salad are now a la carte. Service was friendly and attentative though, to be fair, the we were there early on a Wednesday, and the restaurant wasn't crowded. Overall, a safe bet.Special Features:
- better italian elsewhererlernVIPDined on 11/9/2013With all the Italian restaurants in Chicago, there are many others I would choose over this place. The Caesar salad had Italian dressing instead of Caesar dressing along with croutons that tasted like they came out of a box. The veal parmesan was very thick with a breading that was not good. One and done.
- Times have changedgrunclesVIPDined on 10/13/2013When La Gondola first opened its Belmont location, it followed, for the most part, its much smaller Ashland Ave. location's menu which meant the food was basically very good. One should never change something that works, but change they did. No longer is grilled polpo or hearts of palm salad on the menu. The only pizza on the menu was an "appetizer", but when asked about pizza's the acting manager said they could still make one to order. So, we ordered a cheese and onion pizza. It came out after most of our party had finished eating, and whoever made it must have really liked oregeno, because that, and the heavy sauce was all you could taste. Finally, the restaurant was out of bread! Too bad the tip was built in the bill.
- Wonderful diningMarvDined on 10/5/2013Outstanding food...huge portions...everything very tasty and the service was suoerbSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Italian SpotJohnVIPDined on 9/27/2013This place was referred to us by a friend so we decided to give it a try. The food was tasty but nothing that exceeded expectations. The chicken parmigiana was good and had a sweet sauce which we liked. It did not have the freshest "home made" or "made to order" taste I was told it would have but nonetheless it was good. Grilled calimari was a bit too "fishy" for our liking. The bartender offered to replaced it with the fried calimari but we declined.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I used to love this restaurant . .GreatPlaceBadNewMenuVIPDined on 9/20/2013But they recently changed their menu and took away many of the favorites, including Pizza. The waitress we had was less than impressive, had to ask multiple times for certain things, and to top it off, we were there to celebrate a 3-year old birthday and I asked if they do something special for a kid birthday. She said they could bring out a gelato with a candle in it. I knew it was heading the wrong way when the 3-scoup desert came without candles or fanfare and was placed in front of my wife as well. We asked for the candles and the manager got them with an apology. Then to my surprise, a $6 charge was on the bill. I only wanted a scoop, got 3, way too much for a kid- a full desert.I would recommend this to a friend.
- If it ain't broken...SmuthLuvVIPDined on 9/18/2013Since they changed their menu and decided to "fix" something that was clearly not even remotely broken, our past couple dining experiences have been absolutely terrible. I mean awful. The prices are the same, but now have to order soups and salads al la carte, they cut out 75% of their pastas, cut out pizzas for dine in except for 2 choices in the appetizer section (we ordered the veggie version and it was the worst pizza we have eaten probably ever). Why, why, why change something that was clearly working La Gondola? We won't be going back and this was our staple go to delicious neighborhood Italian place. What a shame.Special Features:
- La Gondola Has Cut BackOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/15/2013La Gondola significantly reduced their menu choices and they no longer include a soup or salad with an entree. They will still give you bread after you place your order, and I love their bread so I was happy about that. But, their entree pricing is still in the same ~$17-20+ range.
- Still Solid FoodscottactDined on 9/13/2013La Gondola has been one of our favorite restaurants for a few years now. Unfortunately, when we arrived there the other night, they had changed their menu. The good news is the entrees are still some of the best Italian food around; the bad news is there are a lot less of them. My dining companion and I both chose the lasagna. He had had it the last time we were there and loved it and I concur. It was amazing and so large that I was able to take home a portion and have it for lunch the next day. The big mistake this restaurant has made is no longer offering soup or salad as part of the entree. When they did, the side salad that they served was delicious. The over-priced salads we ordered were not nearly as good; in fact, kind of dull.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Home-Cooking - Italian StyleyoloDined on 9/8/2013Our party of four adults thoroughly enjoyed our Sunday night dinner at La Gondola. The service was great. We each chose a different entree; stuffed gnocchi, lobster ravioli, Chicken Parmesan and the special for the night, tortellini in a cream sauce with prosciutto. We couldn't decide whose dish was the best. Each entree came with soup or salad and garlic bread. La Gondola is on Belmont, in the heart of a bustling neighborhood. It is easily accessible by the Red Line with just a 4-5 block walk. We will definitely return on another visit to Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- classic ItalianFloridaGalVIPDined on 8/31/2013Don't expect any Top Chef surprises here - La Gondola is an old-fashioned Italian restaurant, with reliable pasta, pizza, and chicken with various Italian preparations. Nothing fancy, but very predictably well-prepared, with real ingredients. They will do any preparation with their gluten free pasta, which they usually cook al dente -- be sure to ask for that, as gluten free pasta gets soggy fast. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FAB service!noniVIPDined on 8/30/2013We usually visit the Ashland venue but this nite we came to Belmont as we are going to host a party there. I can't say enough about the manager, the servers and the always great food. They were most accommodating and we're ecstatic that we're doing the party there. Andy - you have quality people who work for you - keep up all the good work!Special Features:
- Hot, Hot, hotChgofoodieVIPDined on 8/25/2013We went with a group of 6- and it seemed that the A/C was not working, so asked to sit outside- the place was relatively empty, but they didn't like the idea of pushing two tables together , but finally did. (Learned that the A/C just can't compete with the open kitchen style- but I have eaten at other types of locations where this was never an issue) Anyway- the food was good- but spotty service & overall seems to have gone downhill over the years. I have to admit that seeing that they were going to charge a fee for "cutting a dessert" seemed annoying- who doesn't share desserts? The cost was low, but in principal a turn off. Not sure I would go back again anytime soon, but the food has always been tasty- so never say never.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, good food!ChibeckyDined on 8/21/2013This is a nice neighboorhood spot, the parking next door is well worth the price and the food is good, very much enjoyed my gluten free pasta with vodka sauce. Bruschetta was fabulous, could eat a whole order of that for dinner! Service was good, prices are a tad high but not too bad, would definitely come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.