La Gondola - Ashland
2914 N. Ashland Ave
Chicago, IL 60657Neighborhood:
Lakeview / East Lakeview
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
La Gondola - Ashland
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.lagondolachicago.com/
- Phone: 7732484433
- Hours of Operation:
Saturday & Sunday: 11:45am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Everyday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian, Pizzeria
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Delivery, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We have catered events from 10 to 5000 people, Call Andy for your next event, prefered caterer for The Chicago Bears Football Club, VIP's at Taste of Chicago, Blues Fest and Gospel Fest.
- Entertainment: The Owner is a real Funny Guy!!
A word from La Gondola - Ashland
Serving the best Chicago-style pizza and homemade Italian food, La Gondola Italian Restaurant is Zagat-rated since 1991. With our fresh ingredients, hand-tossed pizza dough, and award-winning italian food; La Gondola Italian Restaurant offers takeout, delivery and dining room service seven days a week.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
La Gondola - Ashland reviews from OpenTable diners
9 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelQuiet
neighborhood gem (7)romantic (5)special occasion (4)fit for foodies (3)kid-friendly (1)vibrant bar scene (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- WonderfulseafoodVIPDined on 8/16/2014Great, great, great!Everything is always the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AreDeeEmDined on 6/15/2014The fresh ingredients and the care taken to individually prepare each dish make this place a winner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 229 reviews are from the La Gondola - Ashland reviews archive.
- Always a trusted optionKaimadaDined on 5/10/2014We've been regulars at the Ashland location for a long time - great food, wonderful service (especially if D is working) and a small restaurant experience. We love that they are open to customizing the dishes to specific tastes.......so good!Special Features:
- Birthday CelebrationChitownDinerDined on 5/5/2014Place is quite small, maybe 6 tables. The food is genuine Italian and I think they may one of the best thin crust pizzas in town. We had a wonderful time celebrating my birthday on cinco de mayo. Dee served the food timely and with his usual flair, couldn't ask for a more attentive & friendly server. Food we ordered was delicious and served piping hot. Hidden gem in the city, if you can't dine in order takeout.Special Features:
- Good food, great service!MandMDined on 4/11/2014La Gondola is our go to restaurant. The restaurant is small, so make a reservation. The food is always good and D is the best waiter!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerMiriDined on 4/5/2014We had a great dinner with excellent food last Saturday.. Everything was great as always.. My 10-year old stepson joined us for the first time at La Gondola to celebrate his dad's birthday, and he absolutely LOVED his chicken parmesan as well as the tentacles of the grilled calamari and my lobster ravioli.. and this kid is a picky eater. I was, however, a little saddened to see that my favorite dishes were no longer available as the menu seems to have shrunk considerably since the last time we were here last fall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/20/2014The reservation was tricky because we weren't aware there were multiple locations but the food was excellent and the service was great, too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- La Gondola has gotten a bit priceyTronDined on 3/13/2014I have been going to La Gondola for many years. It's gotten a bit pricey for what it is.
- We love our friend/ServernoniVIPDined on 2/26/2014We love our friend/Server D! He is a positive friendly and entertaining person. Andy is a lucky business owner to have him!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love itOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/15/2014My and my fiance come here at least once a year, cause we live in the burbs, and we love it every single time. The waiter D remembers us and makes sure to take care of us whenever we are in the restaurant. We are actually going to use them to cater some food for our wedding in May.Special Features:
- Not just for takeout!MattBourqueDined on 2/15/2014A lot of people seem to like La Gondola on Ashland for takeout, and the food is really good straightforward Italian-American cooking. There's the standard pasta dishes (linguine with clams, lasagna, nice ravioli) all well executed, along with some good classic entrees - I enjoyed the chicken piccata. The tiramisu was also excellent. But my wife and I really enjoy visiting because the tiny dining room feels like so much fun, largely due to the excellent work of La Gondola's waiter, Dee, who is welcoming, funny, and helpful without being pushy or unctuous. There can be a bit of a draft in the room in the wintertime with pickup customers coming in and out, but the ambiance lent by the small room is worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dad's birthdayDisappointedDined on 2/9/2014I've been coming here for years and can't tell you how awful our experience was. I am done with La Gondola after the horrific service. The server was clueless and aloof, the menu was 1/3rd of what it used to be, and the no longer offer soup or salad but charge the same price. It was so disappointing and my Dad's birthday was a bust because of it.
- Love the pizzamelchicagoVIPDined on 10/3/2013Great thin crust pizza and good daily entrée specials.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sorely disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/24/2013I have been going to La Gondola for 20 years and now i'm questioning whether I will go back again. They have recently changed their menu, eliminating all but a few dishes. Food came out late, it was very salty and not very appetizing to look at. We had to send one thing back and they couldn't even get right how the pizza was asked to be cut.
- Noticeable DifferencelongtimecustomerDined on 9/15/2013La Gondola has been an institution for many years... and apparently now has decided to undergo major changes. On a recent visit, I was told that soup or salad was no longer included with any of the entrees, and that the management had decided to downsize the menu and lower some prices "because so much food was being wasted"... this did not sound right at all, and then I noticed that the soup and salad was now on the menu for $5... the waitress did not seem to want to discuss the matter any further and walked away... and the prices of the entrees were NOT lowered in fact. The other very strange thing is that all of the classic La Gondola entrees were available on the takeout/delivery menu and no longer in the restaurant??????Special Features:
- I love this resutrant andOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/14/2013I love this resutrant and have been coming for years, although I have a complaint for the first time ever. The recentally changed the menu so over half of the selections are not on the dining in menu anymore which really was annoying. Also, they used to offer a soup or salad with your meal, which again is not offered now. This place is a gem, the food is outstanding and the waiter D is great....but go back to the old menu!!!!!!! And start offerning salad again. Us regulars miss them!Special Features:
- Delicious Food/Outstanding ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/12/2013We always have an enjoyable meal at La Gondola. Food is really delicious and service ALWAYS outstanding. A REAL neighborhood gem!Special Features:
- Great night at La GondalacarollvVIPDined on 9/1/2013Good home cooking food with Dee aka thee best waiter...your in good hands here and will enjoy a memorable dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The restaurant is quaint.WillcallagainDined on 9/1/2013The restaurant is quaint. I can see how a wait is eminent, so reservations are a must! The food was delicious and the atmosphere friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service just fair-had to askseafoodVIPDined on 8/24/2013Service just fair-had to ask 3 times for bread. Had to ask to have empty dishes removed. Soups was still on the table when dinner was served. Never asked about refills on drinks. Antony Not good compared to usual waiter Dee.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like Going HomeTheWindyCityVIPDined on 8/17/2013Our go-to spot for a quiet Italian dinner. Dee's service is the best, and we feel like we're are going "home" to see family. Our favorite dishes are the Rigatoni Basciola, and the Grigliata di Pesce. No, don't expect fresh seafood, but overall it's really flavorful and delicious. Any dish with the cream tomato sauce is excellent. Some specials include the crab stuffed gnocchi in tomato cream sauce. Notable wines for $28/bottle, especially the Primitivo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findsfhassDined on 8/10/2013Fabulous neighborhood restaurant. Good food, great service...D is wonderful.I would recommend this to a friend.
- love this placesharonDined on 8/10/2013small neighborhood restrurant with great service and excellent food. It's best to make a reservation as the place is small. Almost hate to rate it, if it becomes to popular I'll never get a table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't Wait To Go Again!WinerDinerVIPDined on 8/10/2013Stopped by for lunch on a Saturday afternoon. The food was fantastic - from the appetizer through dessert. Generous portions, very good service, met the owner/chef Andy who is very hospitable. The La Gondola salad and La Gondola chicken are stand outs, and their marinara sauce is excellent. The pistachio gelato is the best we've had. There are only about six or seven tables as they do a very large carry out/delivery business. Next time we'd like to try their pizza.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely!CathieDined on 7/17/2013Delicious dinner and entertaining, helpful, warm service by Dee. Love the atmosphere, you would never guess this place is so nice from the outside. Will be back again and again!Special Features:
- Worst Service I have ever receivedOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/16/2013I will never go back to this restaurant. Even the food was good the service was really bad, no attention to detail at all, on day that for most day was,100 degrees I ordered a beer an it was really warm, all beers and wines were warn including the red wine. I feel sorry for Chef because I think that he did a great job. This has been the first time that open tables reviews had missed left me so much.
- My favorite dining place -MarsDined on 6/26/2013My favorite dining place - small - intimate - reservation a must - great food - I highly recommend - won't be disappointedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- restaurant is going down hillTccccDined on 6/15/2013this is the 2nd time in a month I've been here. I'm a regular. but this month the tilapia tasted like chlorine and had to be sent back by all of us who ordered it. Takes over an hour for entrees to arrive. AC does nothing to cool place. time before it took 40 minutes for appetizers and another 50 minutes for entrée and we were the only people in the restaurant at the time. when I brought this up to manager I was met with defensiveness and attitude. This is no longer my favorite place to go and will avoid in the future.Special Features:
- Don't be Deceived!OyinDined on 6/7/2013It was my first time going to this restaurant. It was located in a strip mall and I thought it was not going to be a pleasant place. But as I walked up to the door and went inside, it was nice, cozy, romantic, intimate and a definite gem. The service was AWESOME, the food was FANTASTIC and FLAVORFUL! I will definitely be going back. The prices are very reasonable for the huge portion sizes, you will not leave hungry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never go to the one on Belmont.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/16/2013Never go to the one on Belmont. Food is inconsistent and service is the worst.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LaGondolaClismoDined on 5/11/2013Went to La GOndola to treat my wife for Mothers Day,,,Had never been to this restaurant b/4. The experience was great and memorable. It is a small Italian restaurant. w/ only 6 tables ( very intimate) Our sever was impecable ... Very friendly and welcoming . I had flowers delivered to the restaurant earlier in the day..They were waiting at our table when we arrived. The food was very tasty . My wife had a lobster dish /with a cheese based raviloi....I had the Manicotti,,,,,We also had a portabello mushroom appetizer that was exquisite. The food was very fresh and delicious.....All in all I highly recommend this restaurant to anone who wants an intimate setting with great Italian Food Bon AppetitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian DelightKibblesDined on 5/3/2013I have been to La Gondola several times and am never disappointed. The food is fresh, superb, authentic and reasonably priced. The service is impeccable. You haven't seen remarkable service until you've been served by Dee. There are only 6 tables which makes for a great, intimate dining experience. If you have a larger group of people don't let it keep you from this wonderful dining experience. You can go to their other location on Belmont as it is much larger.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but I prefer aDDinerDined on 4/27/2013Good food, but I prefer a more neighborhood feel location, not a strip mall.
- Linda MOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/14/2013Best Meat Sauce I heve had although everything there was excellent!Special Features:
- Our visit to La Gondola wasWendyVIPDined on 4/12/2013Our visit to La Gondola was inspired by a Groupon and we will definitely be going back! Not only was our waiter witty and charming he was helpful in providing a couple wine tastes before I decided on one. The food is delicious (pasta cooked perfectly to an al dente, light batter on the calamari, and great greens in the salad - none of that iceberg or romiane stuff that so many places give you when the meal comes with a side salad) and there is more of it than necessary but made for a great leftover lunch the next day. We will be back to try the pizza and the risotto soon!Special Features:
- Great food and quaint location.JackieVIPDined on 4/2/2013Great food and quaint location. I like the food better at this location than Belmont. We had 6 people in our group and it was great to have wine and talk plus the music selection was really great. Don't be scared off by the fact that it is in a strip mall. Gnocci and rigatoni are great!Special Features:
- best Italian food ever! ServiceTccccDined on 3/30/2013best Italian food ever! Service is perfections! can't recommend highly enoughSpecial Features:
- Overall WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/28/2013Truly wonderful. Even though it is very small and intimate at this location (which I didn't realize), they are very kid-friendly and the service was fantastic.Special Features:
- The fantastic service makesVinciVIPDined on 3/16/2013The fantastic service makes the restaurant a neighborhood gem. The food is consistently good and the small wine list is interesting. For a neighborhood restaurant in a shopping mall you can't find anything better!Special Features:
- The food and service wereKikiVIPDined on 3/13/2013The food and service were fantastic! I'm glad they participated in Groupon because now I know about this place. I wou;dn't have known about it otherwise. D was a great server and food was FANASTIC! My husband and I enjoyed the night.Special Features: