208 Wilson St
Santa Rosa, CA 95401Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://lagarerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7075284355x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily from 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, French
- Executive Chef: Roger Praplan
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wine
A word from La Gare
Family-owned La Gare still keeps in mind its founding principles: fresh local ingredients, top French and European cooking techniques, and making everything served in the restaurant from scratch. Gluten Free menu available. Extensive local wine list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
La Gare - Best Restaurants in Santa Rosa ›
La Gare reviews from OpenTable diners
65 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (41)romantic (40)neighborhood gem (30)notable wine list (20)fit for foodies (15)good for groups (10)kid-friendly (3)hot spot (3)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Food wonderfulKatyVIPDined on 9/6/2014We had a great meal but service was only fair and then when the tag came she charged us for a bottle of wine we did not have, With that said we brought a bottle with us and bought a second $90 bottle When I pointed out the third bottle that was not ours she became rude and refused to take the corkage off as you would normally do when you bought from there list. We also bought flambing deserts that were done very averageSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite restaurant since 1991MikeInUtahDined on 9/6/2014My wife and I fell in love with La Gare in 1991. We returned often until we moved to Utah in 1995. Every year we wanted to return to La Gare for our anniversary dinner, but knew that wasn't possible due to the distance. In 2012 we drove to California (13 hours) just to go to La Gare for dinner, 2 nights in a row. We did it again in 2014 (3 nights in a row). And plan to go again in 2016. The food, service, staff and atmosphere are all just as good as before. My wife and I love La Gare enough to travel from Utah for multiple nights of dinner. Our favorites are the veal dishes. But their Quiche Lorraine is heavenly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jimmurrayDined on 9/5/2014As always food and service was outstanding..Would not hesitate to recommend this restaurant to anybodySpecial Features:
- Elegant French DinnerSherryDined on 9/4/2014We wanted to celebrate our anniversary with an all French food dinner. La Gare is the place for that! We started with Champagne and escargots and frogs legs. What a treat...they were both delicious appetizers along with the very, fresh French Bread and a table-side Caesar Salad. Our waiter John was a delight as well, full of knowledge and very accommodating. My husband had Duck with Orange Sauce and I had the Coq a vin. Both fairly good meals to celebrate with. By the time dessert rolled around we couldn't go for the Cherries Jubilee but John brought us a Chocolate Mousse to share, which was very nice of him and the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great nightFaustinoDined on 8/30/2014The experience of the great food and ambience is a welcome treat for my limited time off from work. It was my second time eating at the restaurant (first time being valentines day of last year) and I did not think I would as impressed but it was great yet again. I look forward to my next trip to Santa Rosa and another night spent experiencing some fine dining at La Gare. Only con I have is some nitpicking about the lights on the wall if you are dinning on a side table. The fixtures had no light covers atop them and with my height it seemed almost like it was in my eyes. After the wine and food were brought out I was far less concerned about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded expectations!KMB123Dined on 8/30/2014We are thrilled to have found this gem on Open Table. The food and wine were superb. We will make a point of enjoying La Gare again on our next trip to the Bay Area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- La Gare - Santa RosaDiningOut2014Dined on 8/23/2014The service, presentation of the food, variety of food and the wine choices were excellent. The restaurant has a cozy, European feel. We live in the midwest but if we lived in the Santa Rosa area, La Gare would be one of our favorite places to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014THE BEEF WELLINGTON WAS NOT WHAT IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN, VERY STRANGE TASTE.
- Wonderful classic french restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/16/2014We had a wonderful dinner. Excellent service. The food was classic French. We enjoyed every bite. The décor is very plain and I can see the Swiss accent in the wooden chairs. Where can you get Cherries Jubilee done in the classic style tableside...Le Gare! Caesar Salad also is done tableside! They have a nice selection of half bottles of wine so that you can have a different varietal with every course. We will be back every time we are in Santa Rosa.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- still a very nice placesentimentalistDined on 8/14/2014still one of the classic places in santa rosa. it is not for the 30 or 20 somethings. it is more for the older crowd. there is no view and it can be stuffy in the summer, but it has a good choice off the menu. very friendly people, and you get what you paid for...salad, soup and main course with two sidesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Known quantitythomashowardDined on 8/9/2014As always great food. We have dined at Le Gare many times over the years. Many people have discovered what we already know.You don't have to travel out of town and spend a lot more when you have good restaurants that have been successful here for many yearsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful findMangiamamaDined on 8/9/2014As a traditional French restaurant, this venerable Railroad Square establishment is a real jewel. The front of the house service was nearly perfect and imagine my surprise when I found out the place was not French, but Swiss, who are noted for their hospitality training. Oh, the usual suspects were there, Canard a l'orange and frog's legs, but the ambiance was Swiss. Since my family is Swiss, I was delighted! The house salad, with its Dijon dressing, was so good, I could have had it as my whole meal. Wine prices were reasonable, as well, and we toasted my husband's and my 50th anniversary with some friends and a nice bottle of champagne.Special Features:
- Delicious french cuisinelookingforfrenchfoodDined on 8/7/2014Delicious dinner, attentive servers and hostess. Diamond in the rough for excellent dining. Try the beef wellington or poulet Marco Polo, you won't be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- davidVIPDined on 7/30/2014Made to feel right at home from time we arrived to departure. Service was gracious, attentive. Menu items were described to us. Salmon tartare was fresh and enough to share. The schnitzle was tender and flavorful as was the coq au vain. Wine list extensive enough to satisfy tastes. Will return.Special Features:
- disappointingsophierose729Dined on 7/27/2014Food seemed on par with banquet fair. Not fresh, main course dry, sauce was dull and tasted like last night's leftovers.
- AmazingJollyDined on 7/26/2014i ad a very good time service was amazing even though it was a packed house.Special Features:
- A throw-back to the times long goneLoveToEatOutDined on 7/18/2014Tired old-fashioned menu of what used to be thought of as "French classics". Preparation and plating are boring at best. Service, however, is very friendly and professional. There are many great restaurants in Santa Rosa and to compete La Gare needs some serious overhaul.
- waitress servicelulunquiDined on 7/14/2014Great place, good food, just our waitress not to friendly, was 7pm, so maybe he was tired?!, to serious, kind of cold person...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost perfectOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014The atmosphere was wonderful. The food was delicious. The waitstaff was well-trained. The only downfall Camille was the desert. My fresh fruit tart came with fresh blueberries fresh plums and canned peaches.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/1/2014Classic "American, French, style Resturant", good service, sell prepared food, AND, minimum background noise!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointing dinnerbellyfullDined on 6/21/2014It was our first visit to La Gare. We went with friends for a special evening. Since I am a vegetarian I had very few choices. I could have chosen the pasta dish with tubular noodles or spanakopita. I wanted something light , so I chose spanakopita. I expected light, flakey, filo dough pastry filled with spinach. Instead I got a large square of filo dough that was fried and filled with spinach and heavy cheese ! It was so heavy and rich that I could not eat it. It wasn't tasty and the meal was very disappointing. The restaurant is quite pricey and I would expect a better meal if I'm spending that kind of money.
- SHamptonDined on 6/20/2014The food was excellent as usual and the service was perfect. We look forward to going for our anniversary each year. It seems we always see someone we know who is also celebrating. It is a warm and friendly place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Le GareBD51Dined on 6/19/2014This was our first time dining here. We had a gift card to use for dinner. Arriving a little early for our 6PM reservation, the restaurant was totally deserted. However, the tables began filling rapidly after 6 o'clock. Perhaps this is due to the local parking meters needing to be paid up until 6 PM. The special pork schnitzel, French Onion soup, and sole almondine were all excellent. We are looking forward to returning to Le Gare in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful1930ClassicIronDined on 6/15/2014We have been here many times. Always wonderful. The staff is great.Special Features:
- Our FavoriteKenMcLDined on 6/15/2014If we lived closer to Santa Rosa we would eat at La Gare all the time. This restaurant never fails to deliver. Where else can you get sweetbreads that just melt in your mouth. We always try to get John as our server as he is so friendly and understands our preferences. Anytime you are up in the wine country this is a must stop on your way home.Special Features:
- OK, not greatWineCountryFoodieDined on 6/14/2014Celebrated our 28th Anniversary at La Gare. Food/service/execution was OK, but not great. Overall experience was on the "tired" side. La Gare clearly needs a shot of inspiration in the arm, that is, if they wish to cater to their faithful customers for another decade. And, they can do so and still maintain a solid hold on traditional French cuisine, which is fabulous fare if executed properly. La Gare's menu is classic, décor says country, so where is the Pot-au-feu, Bouillabaisse, Moules Marinière? Potato-leek soup was weak and bland. And BTW, it's June (summer). Where's the Vichyssoise? Salads were very flat, boring. And, it's NOT "Coc au Vin. It's "Coq" au Vin. No such word as Coc. At $165 for 2, pretty sure we will not return.
- Great romantic EveningjncbDined on 6/7/2014The service and ambiance is wonderful. Very nice romantic evening for our 11 year anniversary. I asked that the meal be spread out and not too fast so we could enjoy the bottle of wine we ordered. They got the timing perfect! They even brought out a little cake for us on the house even though we declined ordering desert (we were too full!) We felt welcomed and important - never rushed! The escargot was the best thing we ordered - absolutely fantastic! The mushroom soup was nothing special, though tasty - salad had way too much dressing on it - and the Beef Wellington was just OK; the pastry was still doughy inside. We will definitely return and try more things on the menu.Special Features:
- Too expensive for what you gethibrauDined on 6/6/2014We spent the same amount here as we did at Rue Lepic in San Francisco, except that there were three of us at Rue Lepic and only two of us at La Gare. The wine pour and portions were very generous, but the food was not special. With truly great French restaurants just an hour away in San Francisco, I wouldn't recommend La Gare for the price. My husband had the steak au poivre and I had steak with a wine/shallot sauce and bone marrow. Both sauces were ordinary. I would have liked a more interesting side, like potatoes au gratin. Also, the meal came with soup, but they charged me the full $8.50 menu price for substituting the onion soup. The regular soup was $5, so shouldn't I have just paid $3.50 for the substitution?
- KathyDined on 5/25/2014My 86 year old mother wanted to go here for dinner, so we agreed. my husband and I had eaten here ten years previously. Overall, the service was good, but the food was expensive and taste underwhelming.Special Features:
- Great meal every time.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/24/2014My husband and I have been going to La Gare's for years and have never been disappointed. The crab cakes always a favorite. I had the salmon on our last visit and it was delicious. It was accoumpied with rice and vegetables, making a perfect combination. My husband had the filet of soul, great as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old School French RestaurantNaturalHorsemanVIPDined on 5/22/2014My bride and I had a blast at La Gare. We were in Sonoma on a 4 day holiday for our 44th anniversary. We booked La Gare and walked a block from Hotel La Rose. One of the owners, Jacquie, greeeted us as we entered, brought us to our table and talked with us about our trip, our visit to Hot Couture, and we got her recommendations. Our waiter, John, was equally fun, equally knowlegable and made it a great evening. The busboy gave us his insights on food ingredients as well. What a team! We started with some killer little vegetable soup. followed by (for me) the Jacquie Salad - boston lettuce vinairgrette with hearts of palm, the frogs legs, Merry Edwards Sauvignon blanc and a KILLER cherries Jubilee prepared at table. BIG FUNSpecial Features:
- Traditional French RestaurantFastidiousVIPDined on 5/22/2014There is very little unusual, creative, or striking about the standard French food at La Gare. The food is good but not so good that you will remember the experience for years or even months. The service tended to be a little slow, though the restaurant was less than half full, and they needed to be hurried along as we had a theater engagement. The ambiance is nice enough and quiet, so that you can easily have a conversation without raising your voice. This might make it a good romantic choice, especially with the cherries jubilee to impress your date.Special Features:
- The following 96 reviews are from the La Gare reviews archive.
- Great place for FoodRobsvenVIPDined on 5/17/2014This was our first time to this restaurant and we both enjoyed the food and service. We would make this a regular place to go when we visit Santa Rosa in the future!Special Features:
- love22Dined on 5/16/2014Our meal was wonderful with one exception - the rib eye was over cooked, tough and had little flavor. I was disappointed it was not taken off our check because we informed our waiter about it - but it remained on our bill. I don't believe in getting something for nothing but I do believe some sort of compensation would have made our visit perfect.
- Great Anniversary DinnerSherriDined on 5/15/2014We celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary at LaGare. We were treated warmly by Jackie and promptly seated. Our waiter was John, who took very good care of us. We had the Chateau Briand for two which was excellent. The chef, Roger, made us a special dessert with Happy 20th Anniversary written on it. Thank you LaGare staff for another special evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- still the best.Williams700Dined on 5/11/2014I loved my Mother's Day Dinner at LaGare. It always so good. We have been eating here for over 30 years, I can't remember having a bad meal. I had fresh wlld Salmon. It was wonderful. They serve soup & salad, with the main course. Not to many places give soup and salad anymore.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great place...ivanDined on 5/4/2014Went recently on a sunday. Booked reservation via open table, found out when I got there that their official opening time was 5 pm even though reservations were for 430 pm. They still sat us and service was quick and efficient. Waiter was great recommended the house wine to go with our pork schnitzel which was very good and webt well together. Overall great experience would go back again. Wasnt to happy with were we were seated in a corner next to wall which made it feel a little tight even though most of the resteraunt was open. But overall everything was great food and staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FABULOUS EVENINGGeGeDined on 5/3/2014I TOOK A FRIEND TO DINNER AND SHE HAD NEVER BEEN THERE. SHE LOVED THE CHAMPAGNE, FOUND THE SOUP, SALAD, ENTREE, AND DESSERT ALL ABSOLUTELY OUTSTANDING. WE BOTH HAD THE SAME EXPERIENCE. THE WAIT STAFF WERE PROFESSION, KNOWLEDGIBLE, AND ALWAYS SMILE ON THEIR FACE. THEY KEPT A CLOSE EYE ON OUR TABLE WITHOUT BEING PESTY OR INTRUSIVE. I WOULD RECOMMEND THIS TOO ANYONE.Special Features:
- After All These Year and still goodwinecountrybruceDined on 5/3/2014We had the Beef Wellington which few resturants serve any more. It was good but not out of this world great. We love the resturant and the staff. The only thing we would appreciate is more comfortable seating instead of the hard seats.Special Features:
- Wine Country FindBrentDined on 4/27/2014Really great little secret find tucked into the historic district of Railroad Square. Good food, nice service and excellent wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.