208 Wilson St
Santa Rosa, CA 95401Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://lagarerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7075284355
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily from 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, French
- Executive Chef: Roger Praplan
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wine
A word from La Gare
Family-owned La Gare still keeps in mind its founding principles: fresh local ingredients, top French and European cooking techniques, and making everything served in the restaurant from scratch. Gluten Free menu available. Extensive local wine list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
La Gare - Best Restaurants in Santa Rosa ›
La Gare reviews from OpenTable diners
71 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (48)romantic (44)neighborhood gem (38)notable wine list (22)fit for foodies (21)good for groups (17)great for lunch (3)hot spot (3)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (2)Show More
- First VisitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014This was my first visit to La Gare, it was a pleasant experience. The hostess was cordial and talkative as was our server. I had a glass of wine with dinner, I'm not an experienced wine drinker, but the wine was good. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone. My wife and I see it as a special occasion venue, since reservations are required, it would have to be a planned visit. It was certainly one of the quietest resturaunts I've ever eaten at.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality Product, Honorable StaffadrianeGDined on 10/6/2014The restaurant was closed for a private party & I did not receive the message. I arrived with my mother, who was celebrating her 80th birthday. Instead of turning us away, the staff created a special alcove for just the two of us. We were treated like royalty. They timed our entire dining experience so that the main event didn't interfere with our own special little dinner party. The food was wonderful, the staff was wonderful, and we were both so touched by the fact that they authentically cared about making my mom's night special. My highest esteem to the staff! A rare gem in this day and age!Special Features:
- Nice little spotMrsSpitzDined on 10/3/2014We were visiting the area while on vacation and I found la gare on my open table app. The reviews sounded good and the menu looked decent so we decided to check it out. The service was excellent from the minute we walked in the door, our waiter was fantastic and the food was delicious. If you're in wine country I recommed you check it outSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lifetime Favorite, Great GF OptionWineSpiritDined on 10/2/2014First ate at La Gare in 1991, and it has been a favorite ever since. Excellent service, consistently great food, a wonderful local wine list and good by the glass wine selection. Love that they have a gluten free menu, and know the kitchen staff understands what it means to create a gluten free meal. Have never gotten gluten issues/illness after eating there. Wish I could say that about every supposed gluten free menu I've order off of in the past several years. Learned this time, if I want something tailored, to just ask and it can happen. Love the wait staff and great customer service. I'll be backSpecial Features:
- Great special occasion diningAlechillerDined on 9/30/2014My wife and I chose La Gare to celebrate her birthday. The decor is upscale and pleasant. The service was excellent!!! We both had their specials; hers was a delicious Halibut dinner and mine a wonderfully seasoned pork dinner. The broccoli and asparagus soup was excellent. We'll be returning.Special Features:
- Okay but Nothing SpecialOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/29/2014This was our first time here, and sadly, the last. There's nothing terrible about it, but nothing notable either. We ordered steak with béarnaise sauce for two, which comes with soup and salad. I assume this combo is intended to appeal to budget-conscious folks, which wasn't really our goal as we wanted to simply sample their "normal" fare. The potato-leek soup was mediocre. As was the salad. The steak was voluminous but mediocre as well. The chairs are solid wood with no padding and are uncomfortable. The ambience is not remarkable, simply workmanlike. Other than that things were okay. Service was about average, albeit somewhat slow. The bottom line: with so many good restaurants around why settle for mediocrity.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/29/2014A wonderfully relaxing and romantic experience. We’ve visited for a couple of times to celebrate occasions … and we will likely do so again. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- morninggloryVIPDined on 9/27/2014Basics like lamp chops and steak were ok but French dishes like frogs legs, sweetbreads are nothing like the way the French make them, salad was way overdressed - everything was "off." Room is lovely and service was great - if only they could make the food match the rest of it.
- Enjoyed the food.TboneDined on 9/27/2014Good food, very good service, reasonable pricing for a fine dinning restaurant. Only negative would be their wine list. With the location being in Sonoma Valley you expect more then they have to offer. At least some more recognizable wines for a restaurant found in the wine country.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old fashioned in a good wayScotchandsodaDined on 9/26/2014Food and decor were excellent. Not too much in the way of surprising and innovative dished but everything prepared beautifully. Good wine list and, best of all, surprisingly moderately priced.Special Features:
- JimmyDined on 9/24/2014Great place but could use more comfortable chairs. Chairs are all wood with no paddingSpecial Features:
- GreatPatsDined on 9/22/2014My wife and I love the gramine soufflé. Thanks again for a great mealSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love La GareLoves2eatDined on 9/22/2014My brother invited me to dinner so I wanted to pick some place special as I know he really enjoys great food and wine. He had not been to La Gare before which suprised me as he is good at finding special places to eat. Well, he loved it, the food, wine and the staff. He assured them that he would be back soon. Anytime someone asks me for a great place to eat, I always recommend La GareSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Experience at La GareWeLoveGoodFoodDined on 9/21/2014It was my/our first time at your restaurant. Enjoyed it from the moment we walked in. The experience is one that we look forward to repeating again. And perhaps next time we'll bring friends....Thanks for the pleasant evening. Michael....Special Features:
- BirthdayMAPbackDined on 9/20/2014I took my mom here to celebrate her 93rd birthday. She enjoyed every minute. Our waiter was excellent, as was the entire wait staff. It was a bit loud - but fine for our celebratory mood. Food: the soup for that day was "OK." The salad was good - tasty dressing. The bread basket was generous - would have enjoyed it more had it been warm. I expected my New York steak to be more tender. My mom enjoyed her veal dish. We appreciated the birthday dessert.Special Features:
- interestingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/17/2014We were expecting a French style cuisine however were surprised by the amount of swiss-german influence. The foodnwas excellent and while our particular staff went through all of the motions there was a lack of attention...but o forgive them because of a large birthday party in the other banquet room....great food...decent prices...and a menu definetely built for two as many of the items actually note that they are for sharing :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food wonderfulKatyVIPDined on 9/6/2014We had a great meal but service was only fair and then when the tag came she charged us for a bottle of wine we did not have, With that said we brought a bottle with us and bought a second $90 bottle When I pointed out the third bottle that was not ours she became rude and refused to take the corkage off as you would normally do when you bought from there list. We also bought flambing deserts that were done very averageSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite restaurant since 1991MikeInUtahDined on 9/6/2014My wife and I fell in love with La Gare in 1991. We returned often until we moved to Utah in 1995. Every year we wanted to return to La Gare for our anniversary dinner, but knew that wasn't possible due to the distance. In 2012 we drove to California (13 hours) just to go to La Gare for dinner, 2 nights in a row. We did it again in 2014 (3 nights in a row). And plan to go again in 2016. The food, service, staff and atmosphere are all just as good as before. My wife and I love La Gare enough to travel from Utah for multiple nights of dinner. Our favorites are the veal dishes. But their Quiche Lorraine is heavenly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jimmurrayDined on 9/5/2014As always food and service was outstanding..Would not hesitate to recommend this restaurant to anybodySpecial Features:
- Elegant French DinnerSherryDined on 9/4/2014We wanted to celebrate our anniversary with an all French food dinner. La Gare is the place for that! We started with Champagne and escargots and frogs legs. What a treat...they were both delicious appetizers along with the very, fresh French Bread and a table-side Caesar Salad. Our waiter John was a delight as well, full of knowledge and very accommodating. My husband had Duck with Orange Sauce and I had the Coq a vin. Both fairly good meals to celebrate with. By the time dessert rolled around we couldn't go for the Cherries Jubilee but John brought us a Chocolate Mousse to share, which was very nice of him and the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great nightFaustinoDined on 8/30/2014The experience of the great food and ambience is a welcome treat for my limited time off from work. It was my second time eating at the restaurant (first time being valentines day of last year) and I did not think I would as impressed but it was great yet again. I look forward to my next trip to Santa Rosa and another night spent experiencing some fine dining at La Gare. Only con I have is some nitpicking about the lights on the wall if you are dinning on a side table. The fixtures had no light covers atop them and with my height it seemed almost like it was in my eyes. After the wine and food were brought out I was far less concerned about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded expectations!KMB123Dined on 8/30/2014We are thrilled to have found this gem on Open Table. The food and wine were superb. We will make a point of enjoying La Gare again on our next trip to the Bay Area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- La Gare - Santa RosaDiningOut2014Dined on 8/23/2014The service, presentation of the food, variety of food and the wine choices were excellent. The restaurant has a cozy, European feel. We live in the midwest but if we lived in the Santa Rosa area, La Gare would be one of our favorite places to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014THE BEEF WELLINGTON WAS NOT WHAT IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN, VERY STRANGE TASTE.
- Wonderful classic french restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/16/2014We had a wonderful dinner. Excellent service. The food was classic French. We enjoyed every bite. The décor is very plain and I can see the Swiss accent in the wooden chairs. Where can you get Cherries Jubilee done in the classic style tableside...Le Gare! Caesar Salad also is done tableside! They have a nice selection of half bottles of wine so that you can have a different varietal with every course. We will be back every time we are in Santa Rosa.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- still a very nice placesentimentalistDined on 8/14/2014still one of the classic places in santa rosa. it is not for the 30 or 20 somethings. it is more for the older crowd. there is no view and it can be stuffy in the summer, but it has a good choice off the menu. very friendly people, and you get what you paid for...salad, soup and main course with two sidesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Known quantitythomashowardDined on 8/9/2014As always great food. We have dined at Le Gare many times over the years. Many people have discovered what we already know.You don't have to travel out of town and spend a lot more when you have good restaurants that have been successful here for many yearsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful findMangiamamaDined on 8/9/2014As a traditional French restaurant, this venerable Railroad Square establishment is a real jewel. The front of the house service was nearly perfect and imagine my surprise when I found out the place was not French, but Swiss, who are noted for their hospitality training. Oh, the usual suspects were there, Canard a l'orange and frog's legs, but the ambiance was Swiss. Since my family is Swiss, I was delighted! The house salad, with its Dijon dressing, was so good, I could have had it as my whole meal. Wine prices were reasonable, as well, and we toasted my husband's and my 50th anniversary with some friends and a nice bottle of champagne.Special Features:
- Delicious french cuisinelookingforfrenchfoodDined on 8/7/2014Delicious dinner, attentive servers and hostess. Diamond in the rough for excellent dining. Try the beef wellington or poulet Marco Polo, you won't be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- davidVIPDined on 7/30/2014Made to feel right at home from time we arrived to departure. Service was gracious, attentive. Menu items were described to us. Salmon tartare was fresh and enough to share. The schnitzle was tender and flavorful as was the coq au vain. Wine list extensive enough to satisfy tastes. Will return.Special Features:
- disappointingsophierose729Dined on 7/27/2014Food seemed on par with banquet fair. Not fresh, main course dry, sauce was dull and tasted like last night's leftovers.
- AmazingJollyDined on 7/26/2014i ad a very good time service was amazing even though it was a packed house.Special Features:
- A throw-back to the times long goneLoveToEatOutDined on 7/18/2014Tired old-fashioned menu of what used to be thought of as "French classics". Preparation and plating are boring at best. Service, however, is very friendly and professional. There are many great restaurants in Santa Rosa and to compete La Gare needs some serious overhaul.
- waitress servicelulunquiDined on 7/14/2014Great place, good food, just our waitress not to friendly, was 7pm, so maybe he was tired?!, to serious, kind of cold person...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost perfectOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014The atmosphere was wonderful. The food was delicious. The waitstaff was well-trained. The only downfall Camille was the desert. My fresh fruit tart came with fresh blueberries fresh plums and canned peaches.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/1/2014Classic "American, French, style Resturant", good service, sell prepared food, AND, minimum background noise!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 108 reviews are from the La Gare reviews archive.
- disappointing dinnerbellyfullDined on 6/21/2014It was our first visit to La Gare. We went with friends for a special evening. Since I am a vegetarian I had very few choices. I could have chosen the pasta dish with tubular noodles or spanakopita. I wanted something light , so I chose spanakopita. I expected light, flakey, filo dough pastry filled with spinach. Instead I got a large square of filo dough that was fried and filled with spinach and heavy cheese ! It was so heavy and rich that I could not eat it. It wasn't tasty and the meal was very disappointing. The restaurant is quite pricey and I would expect a better meal if I'm spending that kind of money.
- SHamptonDined on 6/20/2014The food was excellent as usual and the service was perfect. We look forward to going for our anniversary each year. It seems we always see someone we know who is also celebrating. It is a warm and friendly place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Le GareBD51Dined on 6/19/2014This was our first time dining here. We had a gift card to use for dinner. Arriving a little early for our 6PM reservation, the restaurant was totally deserted. However, the tables began filling rapidly after 6 o'clock. Perhaps this is due to the local parking meters needing to be paid up until 6 PM. The special pork schnitzel, French Onion soup, and sole almondine were all excellent. We are looking forward to returning to Le Gare in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful1930ClassicIronDined on 6/15/2014We have been here many times. Always wonderful. The staff is great.Special Features: