La Fourno Ristorante - Trattoria
636 South St.
Philadelphia, PA 19147Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
La Fourno Ristorante - Trattoria
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.lafourno.com/
- Phone: 2156279000
- Hours of Operation:
Open Monday - Sunday
Closed for Lunch Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday.
Lunch: Thursday - Sunday starting at 11:30am
Dinner: Monday - Sunday starting at 5:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean, Pizzeria
- Executive Chef: Al Grafstrom
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Cafe, Delivery, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering options are available, please contact the restaurant directly for details.
- Private Party Facilities: We offer a private dining room complete with a beautiful fireplace and lovely chandelier. This beautiful room is the perfect place for rehearsal dinners, birthday and holiday parties, bridal showers, christenings and office functions. The room seats up to 42 people and we can tailor a menu to your specific needs.
- Private Party Contact: Al Grafstrom 2156279000
- Special Events: Live piano on weekend nights.
A word from La Fourno Ristorante - Trattoria
Italian food is as varied as the land and the people. At La Fourno you will taste truly remarkable, authentically prepared dishes from Abruzzo, Umbria & Tuscany. From antipasti to dolci, wine and spirits, everything is wonderfully prepared and affordably priced. We pride ourselves on using only the freshest ingredients of the highest quality in our award-winning food served to you by our attentive, knowledgeably and friendly staff. Come join us. We can guarantee that you'll enjoy the entire experience that is dining at La Fourno.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
La Fourno Ristorante - Trattoria reviews from OpenTable diners
46 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (25)special occasion (11)fit for foodies (9)good for groups (8)romantic (7)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (4)great for lunch (4)notable wine list (2)hot spot (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/16/2014Had a Groupon and our table was changed from downstairs to upstairs. Noticed that all the tables upstairs had Groupons. Because of Groupon our selections were limited. This was not disclosed before buying the Groupon. Chose salads from limited list to start. These were average. Chose antipasta to share that was the only antipasta choice available for Groupons. It was very small, only the size of one salad. Any entree could be chosen. Both had veal parmesan because it was supposedly voted best in city for 6 years. Came on small plate with small amount of dry linguini. Can't believe this is normal serving for $29. Left feeling did not get normal meal because of Groupon. Seated upstairs so would not see normal meal.
- Great Place!FeenyxDined on 8/11/2014The vodka sauce and the white sauce have the most amazing flavor I've ever had!! I highly recommend! The service staff are very attentive and one in particular has a great flair for entertainment :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverpricedsusanmenDined on 8/7/2014The food and service were decent, but just not worth the price you pay. The veal parmigiana was $28 and was mediocre - not bad, but not great. With all of the great Italian restaurants around, I don't think I'll be back.
- Decent Italian with slow servicespeedtreeDined on 8/2/2014Enjoyed the decor and ambience of this Italian restaurant but the service was slow and the food was nothing spectacular
- Defines a trattoriaOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/31/2014It's small and noisy: it's a trattoria. Good food nicely served and staffed.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Local Spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/30/2014I recently visited Philly on a business trip and found La Flourno while looking for a place to have dinner with our business associates. From the moment we walked in the door, we were treated like family. Frankie greeted us with a smile and bent over backwards to accomodate us while we waited for the rest of our party to arrive. Once everyone was there, we were seated and treated to a fantastic dining experience. The owner, Al, stopped by to chat with us and he was very engaged in our overall experience. Everyone in our party of 5 thoroughly enjoyed their meal and the experience. We highly recommend La Fourno!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed with La FournoAnitaBDined on 7/26/2014We went to La Fourno for the first time and were disappointed. The staff was extremely friendly, but it took four requests to get a (skimpy) basket of bread; a mixed drink had no evidence of alcohol in it; they were out of various things; and a salad was missing the artichokes it was supposed to contain. Two of us ordered the highly touted veal parmesan and did not find it to be particularly notable (it was a bit overcooked and there was no sauce on the linguini underneath). Would have preferred eggplant parmesan, but for some strange reason it was available only on pizza and not as an entree. The restaurant was just okay; we felt it did not live up to all those great reviews I had seen. Maybe it was an off night? (Dessert was quite good.)Special Features:
- Excellent FoodAT777Dined on 7/26/2014We sat upstairs which we think made service slow. The food made up for all the delays, however. Excellent food...highly recommended.Special Features:
- Lovely placeShonta19125Dined on 7/24/2014I have been there a few times and I always have great service and quality food! Francis and his crew were on top of things!!! Lovely place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatKateVIPDined on 7/23/2014The food was outstanding and only exceeded by the excellent service. Every time we eat here we can't wait to come back! The staff is warm and friendly and the pasta is always delicious.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/19/2014We went to La Fourno with a groupon. We sat upstairs where it was nice and quiet. We had a great meal and awesome service from Francis. I would definitely go to this restaurant again!
- Very poor food quality & servicereviewsDined on 7/13/2014Did the restaurant with a Groupon for the 2nd time. 1st time was fabulous. Super wait staff and delicious food. We were able to each choose a salad, 1 of any pizza and each choose an entree from the entire menu. Smiling staff and jovial host and great food. This time we had a sour waiter and the food was awful. He asked if we had a discount for the meal and became less than nice. We were limited to certain items on the salad and pizza menu. I argued the point and won the pizza of my choice. Dried out veal parm, little sauce and swimming in mozzarella cheese. Tomatoes on salad and pizza were not ripe and had to be removed. The waiter still got his 20% of the WHOLE bill. We will not go back again.
- Fun food in PhillyI8thewholethingDined on 7/7/2014Unpretentious restaurant/pizzeria with friendly staff. Small but varied menu. I had Shrimp Fra diavolo which, on this particular evening, was very diavolo-ish (but still good). Our waiter Joe was right on with his beer suggestion (it put out the fire quite effectively). If you are looking for a down to earth casual establishment that just happens to have good food and decent portions -- La Fourno is the place.
- DisappointmentJakeDined on 6/29/2014What a disappointment. The restaurant was not crowded, yet the service was very slow. The entre's took over 30 minutes to come out. The Lobster Ravioli was unedible - the filling was like saw dust. The Veal Scallopini was very crude - the meat was very thin and over cooked, and there was way too much heavy - sweet red sauce on it.
- lobster101VIPDined on 6/25/2014Four of us went to this restaurant and the food was just ok...very noisy, waiter was coming over to our table a little too much. There are too many restaurants in the city that a lot better than this one....hard time parking on south St. Bread was good!!!! sorry....
- Great as usual, except...familyof4Dined on 6/23/2014We've eaten here several times and it's always been great. This last visit on a Monday night wasn't the norm b/c they were out of there award-winning Veal Parmesan and the popular Lobster Ravioli. It must've been a busy weekend. We'll still go back...but not on a Monday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little disappointed...OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/21/2014We visited La Fourna for a birthday dinner. We visited La Fourna several times in the past and loved it so we decided to visit again with a large party. We made the reservation for 13 but had to add a few more people on. They were very accommodating with adding another table. The food was great as usual. The server hustled and did a great job handling the large group. No here are my complaints: *the pizza oven was broke so no pizza(this was the main reason I wanted to come here I love their pizza) *no bruschetta *sold out of veal parm *the party of four who joined us waited over an hour for their entree and when they never got their salad or breadSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food service wantingmikefDined on 6/21/2014way too long wait between courses I definitely would return to try more dishes loved the relaxed feel of the placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Father's day in PhillyRenatoDined on 6/15/2014We got together with friends and family at La Fourno, the reservation process was smooth and easy. The place is small but cozy, the food, outstanding, even my wife (picky wife) was happy with what she got. It's no so often that I witness my daughter finish an entree plate, and she just loved her fettuccine alfredo. Service is really good, they are always around so to take care of whatever we would need. Great experience in Philly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointing mealYoungprofdinerVIPDined on 6/13/2014My friend bought a groupon for. 3-course dinner here, and I will not be going back. The service was really weird--and the host behaved very inappropriately, referring to us as "sweetie" etc. there's a fine line between friendly and just outright creepy. Now for the food: the salads were sub-par--the lettuce was drenched, and my "Caesar" tasted more like bottled Italian dressing. The Pizza was the only decent tasting part of the meal, and it was good but nothing special. We then shared penne a la vodka and Gorgonzola gnocchi....both were horrible. The vodka sauce was just off, and the cream sauce on the gnocchi tasted synthetic. I couldn't eat more than a few bites of each. Don't eat here.
- Average to below averageOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/4/2014bought a groupon since we've never tried this restaurant. service was good..a little too over the top but good. not sure why or how the veal parm won best for 6 years straight..unless they've changed the recipe completely, it was full of sauce and cheese with a tiny layer of overcooked veal and dried out linguine. lobster ravioli was full of creamy sauce and very salty filling. needless to say, we will not return.
- Good food, ok serviceBoyle067Dined on 5/31/2014Good food, service wasn't great but i think it was because we had a bad waiter.
- Neighborhood SleepercedsDined on 5/29/2014From the outside, La Fourno looks like a pizza place, but the service and food are anything but. Our server was Mauro and he was great - he suggested the Smoky Pizza as an appetizer, which was a great starter. The rest of the meal (pasta dishes) were very good as well. Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!JKJRDined on 5/28/2014It's no wonder they won "Best Veal Parm" in Philly for the past 6 years! It was to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Diamond in the RoughkzodaDined on 5/13/2014From the outside the restaurant looks like a "ma and pa pizza" restaurant where you just get pizza by the slices BUT when you walk in further in turns into fine dining. We had a party of 8 attend for a birthday dinner. We spent over $300 and tipped well over 20%. The staff was great and accomodating. Gave the person whos birthday it was a free bottle of wine. Amazing desserts and display of desserts. Overall - great experience and would highly recommend.Special Features:
- Great PlaceEricGDined on 5/9/2014Fantastic! Wonderful Pizza and mussels. Francis the manager is the best!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 104 reviews are from the La Fourno Ristorante - Trattoria reviews archive.
- ExcellentRQuidoneDined on 4/24/2014This Resturant is the best Resturant on South Street!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okay...SydneyDangerDined on 4/17/2014I was really looking forward to this dinner with my friends. I drove an hour to get here because of the great reviews. Our server was wonderful. He had his hands full with all the other tables and still was on top of everything. Our appetizer was very good, calamari. My only complaint is that the bus lady took it away before we were done. I got fettuccine Alfredo, which is my go to meal at most restaurants because I love it almost everywhere. But unfortunately the pasta was extra soggy. I ate all but 5 bites and couldn't eat anymore. There was a rehearsal dinner upstairs and perhaps that could explain the rushing around and lackluster entree. I am debating whether to give them one last shot because of the good reviews. Great Server!Special Features:
- Great food, great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/11/2014BYOB nights on Tuesdays and Fridays with no uncorking fee! The restaurant was apparently a little short staffed, so the wonderful host, Francis ended up being our server as well and he was great. We got the grilled calamari and the South Philly pizza as appetizers. The grilled calamari was 5-star! The pizza could have been cooked just a minute longer. The shrimp scampi was good, but not great. The penne al vodka was delicious but the gnocchi was the best out of all the meals! After a very satisfying meal, we were shocked to see that our bill was only $80...that's for 4 pasta entrees and 2 appetizers. We all left happy and full with plenty of leftovers for the next day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceRQuidoneDined on 4/10/2014This place is one of the best Italian Resturant on South StreetSpecial Features:
- Decent, kind, local ItalianNewZagats2VIPDined on 4/9/2014Kind manager and waiters... Tiny place but good decent local Italian food. Get the peach champagne dressing salad and the grilled shrimp... Or lobster ravioli my friend got the cheese ravioli... The cannoli are crispy and freshSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inexpensive local ItalianNewZagats2VIPDined on 4/2/2014Get the cannolis their fresh my friend comes just for the ravioli the salad is good though I leave off the prosciutto
- good food; inexperienced serversGigiDee12Dined on 3/29/2014Nice neighborhood place. Food is good (better than any chain). Friendly staff but inexperienced server. No knowledge of bar or food menu (what beers sold, ingredients in drinks and food). Recommend for good Italian/neighborhood place. Just understand their staff is "green" Also, some bizarre go-go men thing going on upstairs, and waiters wearing sleeveless leather vests kept cutting through the dining area. makes me think twice about returning (tacky!!). They need to decide if they are a So Street club or a family restaurant.Special Features:
- Great serviceLaurDined on 3/28/2014Very good food and great service. Would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Italian foodKateVIPDined on 3/27/2014The food is always great at this restaurant. Ingredients are fresh and pasta dishes are particularly good. The owner and staff are warm and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConsistantdavinciDined on 3/27/2014Always expect good food. Never disappoints. Was away for 5 years and had good memories of this place and Al, the owner so I decided to choose it for a centrally located meeting place with colleagues. Everyone loved it. We will all be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best Italian Food in PhiilyRQuidoneDined on 3/20/2014The service is great! The Employees are the best Quick and Friendly. Overall I would rate my experience more that'll 5 stars. I would recommend this to anyone!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Very GoodjamalilyDined on 3/12/2014La Fourno is our 'go-to' place to eat. Whenever we don't feel like cooking, we aim there. The owner and his staff are warm & welcoming. The other day we had a large house salad with lots of roasted peppers, good seasoned bread, and shared chicken in a garlic wine sauce (which was a little bland) and a veggie pizza. A while ago we did a pizza taste-off with 4 local pizza places. La Fourno was the hands down winner. Thin crust, crusty edges, balanced toppings and the dough was not too yeasty. Fine for warming up too, not like some other very thin crust pies. Usually the drinks and desserts are good too but we felt like indulging in bread carbos, not sweets or alcohol. ENJOY!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you like friendly serviceMoonwoodDined on 3/8/2014La Fourno was very good on service, the maitre' d, waiter, and bus person were very personable and the service was prompt. The food was fairly good but not great. The pizza which looked great, which is why I ordered it, had a soft crust which was disappointing. The bread was the same - soft without much character. I also had a house salad/anti-pasta which was very good. My friend had the Suppa" which was mussels and clams over pasta which was said to be very good. The ambiance was very nice but the music was a bit loud which made conversation difficult. Not sure I would go back - I think with so many restrarants around I would look for another.
- Great service!foxchasefoodiesDined on 2/28/2014The food was very good but it is the service that is the most notable. Francis the host is very amusing and so friendly to all who come in. Our waiter Seamus was excellent. Our son has food allergies which was noted on our reservation at Open table. I didn't have to say a word because Seamus was already on top of it and took the time to explain the contents of the dishes. (My boys love the pizza.) One of the best parts of dining on South Street is the lack of snobbiness. The restaurant staff at La Fourno is diverse as well as the clientele. Even my father who dines out frequently commented that he never saw such friendly staff at a restaurant. Friendly yes, but never intrusive. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.