La Fontana Della Citta
1701 Spruce Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
La Fontana Della Citta
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.lafontanadellacitta.com/
- Phone: (215) 875-9990
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 2:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Bujar Daku
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: 10 people and up
- Private Party Facilities: Business meeting, Birthdays, Weddings & Rehearsal Dinners. Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Bujar or Rafael. 2158759990
A word from La Fontana Della Citta
Jersey Shore pilgrims might be familiar with La Fontana Del Mare ("The Fountain of the Sea"), the award-winning restaurant in Strathmere. Owner Rafael Kupa is excited to bring his most popular dishes to Philly at this new "Fountain of the City," a 100-seat BYOB right off Rittenhouse Square.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
La Fontana Della Citta reviews from OpenTable diners
56 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (28)good for groups (24)romantic (23)great for outdoor dining (19)special occasion (17)fit for foodies (14)hot spot (3)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (2)notable wine list (1)late-night find (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Always a good time!GennaDined on 11/18/2014Love it here, perfect for a date or to catch up with friends- food is exceptionalSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- michaelDined on 11/15/2014As always a reliable, gastronomic experience- excellent service and great food at moderate prices bring an open bottle of wine to avoid corkage fee!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service, as always, but...LoveParkLadyVIPDined on 11/13/2014...why must groups of young people come in and ruin it for everyone else? A table of 4 very loud, obnoxious women took over the place, almost screaming with laughter, and kept us from having a quiet conversation. Other than that, service was impeccable, as it always is, and we (two couples) all loved our appetizers and entrees, ranging from arugula salad and bruschetta to lasagna, gnocchi, and a shrimp and pasta special. There was no room for dessert, but the restaurant never rushes us to leave, and we lingered over coffee and the last of our wine. Besides the great food, it's the super-friendly and knowledgeable service that keeps us coming back again and again, and we think it is the best Italian restaurant in Center City, hands down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good time!GennaDined on 11/8/2014Went here this past weekend for a romantic date - although it was on the noisy side due to it being a busy Saturday night it was still perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre at bestMindelVIPDined on 11/1/2014I usually have a great meal here but this last visit was a real dissapointment. The bread was stale and my chicken marsala was so bland that I had to keep reaching for the salt and pepper. However I will say that the service was fast and friendly. But because of the food I won't be rushing back anytime soon.
- Maybe someday...BazkapVIPDined on 10/30/2014Having dined at La Fontana since its debut personable and proficient service has been its forte. But food has failed to benefit with time and experience. Ingredients and course items taste dumbed down. Sauces other than marinara tend to overwhelm. And my peeves expressed too often to staff and management goes unheeded-stale bread and hot entrees served on cold plates. Maybe someday...Special Features:
- Truly the fountain of the cityOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014This restaurant has got it down. Real authentic Italian food that I would have had as if I was in Rome. It was great. My gf and I went there for a special night and the service and food were A+. Only bad thing was they didn't have anymore Creme Brûlée, but that is ok. It gives us an excuse to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rushed ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/25/2014Went to dinner with girlfriend this past weekend and was asked if we would prefer to sit inside or outside. It was cold and windy, so naturally, like others there, preferred to sit inside. The hostess, however, rolled her eyes when we answered her question and sat us at a nice table in the corner. The food and service initially was perfect. We ordered the chicken and veal Verona and a side order of penne pasta which all came out perfectly. After we finished eating, however, the bill was brought out hastily and the server made repeat checks on us to complete the bill. After the bill was complete and we were talking and finishing our glass of wine, we were asked to leave so that another couple could use our table.Special Features:
- My Favorite Italian Byobrcm305Dined on 10/25/2014I visit this restaurant often. They are very accommodating and always timely. It's a very busy place but the turnaround for food is always quick. They don't rush you out the door like a lot of byob's. My favorite menu item is the Penne Alla Vodka. The sauce is unreal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality Dip?OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/26/2014We used to love this place but the last two times we've been, the food quality has dropped significantly. Maybe a new chef?
- Perfect date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/24/2014Took my girlfriend to dinner here this week, the service was superb, that atmosphere was excellent, and the food was to DIE for (Gnochhi ANYTHING). It is BYOB and expected, but an authentic Italian wine list is providedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always deliciousLoveParkLadyVIPDined on 9/24/2014As always, the food and the service are the stars at this restaurant. Service is impeccable and very friendly, and the food is stellar. My husband practically drooled over his branzino, which he said was the best he's had in Center City. My penne a la vodka was a simple but very satisfying entree, with a depth of flavor in the sauce that I haven't had since I was in Rome. Our starters, bruschetta and a ceasar salad, were fresh and flawless. The only problem with this particular evening was a table of about 11 VERY loud diners (in their 50s and 60s, amazingly,and not 20-somethings) whose almost-yelling kept us from having a quiet conversation of our own. Of course, that had nothing to do with the food or the service. Of course we'll be back.Special Features:
- Never againluvgoodfoodDined on 9/17/2014This reservation was made to celebrate a special birthday, but we never made it. Parking in center city is rough, so I picked a place with valet parking (as listed on the website). We also valet whether we go to the Palm or Fogo de Choa, because we don't want to deal with the hassel. There was no parking in the area, so I called the restaurant to ask when they start valet parking. I was told there was no valet & given an address to a garage to park. That garage & two others nearby were full. After about 25 minutes looking for parking, we were more than 15 minutes late for our 7pm reservation. We gave up and went to an old favorite place - Toscana in Bucks County. This was my first & last experience- never again!
- Amazing!BrittKneeDined on 9/14/2014The wait staff was amazing. My friend and I recieved two complimentary glasses of wine. Everything was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bigjeanbigjeanDined on 9/11/2014thoroughly enjoyable evening. Go to restaurant week each time this was one of our best finds for going here without any real first hand recommendations. Everyone was so nice and pleasant and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BYOBmediafoodieVIPDined on 9/10/2014We dined on Restaurant Night - a wonderful value. Mussels appetizer, 3 pasta medley, veal main, desert and coffee for $35. Good selection of appetizers, entrees, and deserts. Dropped off our white wine earlier in the day while we were shopping; perfectly chilled when we arrived for dinner.Special Features:
- Best CannoliMljoDined on 9/9/2014Best cannoli and pasta I have ever had. Too much garlic in the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedmagillDined on 8/29/2014Food was good; service was horrible. We waited way too long for our main course and dessert was never offered, after waiting more than 25 minutes after our dishes were cleared we asked for our check!Special Features:
- would not suggest to othersSandyVIPDined on 8/26/2014we had a table besides us of 16 people who were so loud. I asked the hostess to please suggest they be a bit more quiet. Finally I went over and asked them to. They said no one had approached them before. The hostess and waitresses were not compassionate. They said we should not come since they can not control the noise. In fact, one said it was my fault since we sat there. One my friends is handicapped and we could not move. Not once did they offer any bit of "I am sorry" In stead , it was our problem. we ordered dessert.. not once did they seem to want to offer anything for the horrible noisy experience. Of course, I left them 20% since I was brought up that way.
- Our new favorite go-to Italian spotLoveParkLadyVIPDined on 8/20/2014This was our second visit here in about two weeks, with friends who had never dined here. And, just like the last time here, everything was just about perfect. Enzo is an endearing and charming server who was super-efficient as well as friendly. Our friends loved their appetizers; one said the pasta fagioli was the best he had ever had. Entrees were melt-in-your mouth good and tasted just like the entrees my husband and I get when we find a little trattoria in Rome. As a matter of fact, except for the other diners speaking English, the place feels much like we're in Italy when we're there. Weekends are a bit loud, but a weeknight is perfect for conversation and an unhurried meal. We love it!Special Features:
- AmazingNYfoodloverDined on 8/12/2014Food and service are consistently amazing. I'm from New York and this is one of my favorite Italian restaurants in Philly. Food is always fresh and high quality.Special Features:
- Wait staffBarbDined on 8/8/2014Although the wait staff were friendly enough, they just weren't present. And I was never sure who our waiter was....we had many different waiters. My friend and I sat for about 20 minutes before we finally asked if we could order. And they seemed surprised when we asked for an ice bucket for our white wine after we had been there awhile. It then took a long time to get a dessert menu and, then again, to get our check. We were sitting outside and think we could have just left without paying and no one would have noticed! Food was good, not overpriced for what it was. Sitting outside was pleasant but it was very noisy inside and we were glad we had not gone inside to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 567 reviews are from the La Fontana Della Citta reviews archive.
- delicious specialsmariekVIPDined on 7/20/2014We each had one of the specials. They were fantastic. We had outdoor seating, so I can't comment on the noise level. It was our first time there and it was great.I had the fish special and my husband had pasta with shrimp, crab, and hmmm, I don't recall, maybe asparagus. great sauce. My fish also had asparagus.Special Features:
- Monday NightMWRJDined on 7/14/2014I had relatives in town and decided to go there so we could walk around Rittenhouse afterwards. I made reservations, but we were the only ones there at 6:30. It got a little busier later, but it was still quiet. The food was excellent. One person had the gnocchi and said it was perfect. The dessert was very good too. I had been before and that time we sat outside which was great.Special Features:
- DeliciousJenniDined on 7/4/2014Great friendly service. Yummy food. Cork fee 1.95. Long wait for entrees but five if you sip wine and order appetizers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodvcvcVIPDined on 6/27/2014It was our first time here and we will return. The food was good; in fact better than good.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/21/2014Can't say enough about the service - such a great place! Staff was so wonderful and very friendly - again great place!Special Features:
- lunchMetzVIPDined on 6/19/2014Lunch is same menu including prices as dinner. Ordered a special and it was over $30. They should let you know. Place was empty and I now know why. I will stick to dinner here.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/14/2014Food was delicious. Service was very poor. We had a reservation and still waiting 20 minutes to get seated. We were seated outside and we were somewhat forgotten about periodically throughout the evening.Special Features:
- FayeDined on 6/11/2014Brought another couple from out of town. California! Loved their dinner. They couldn't believe that you could bring your own bottle of wine. Server could have been more attentive. A great place to gather itch friendsSpecial Features:
- Worst dining experience ever!Jerseymike83Dined on 5/31/2014I made a reservation for two at 8pm. We arrive and were seated pretty quickly which was probably the best part of our experience. 30 minutes go by before we even get a glass of water and place an order for our appetizer. This was unacceptable. A server didn't even take our order. It was the hostess who sat us that took it. We didn't even know if there were specials that night Bc she came over and was like "I can help you, are you ready." Umm we've been ready! It was horrible and I'll never recommend this place to anyone.Special Features:
- Way too NoisyDonnVIPDined on 5/24/2014Food and service is unparalleled. Unfortunately, the great ambience was tarnished by the boisterous noise level of patrons drinking too much during a holiday weekend. First time this ever happened at this marvelous restaurant, but we will not be returning on a weekend night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid Italian fareAndrewVIPDined on 5/20/2014Solid Italian fare at reasonable prices. Good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- La Fontana Della CittaHungryhippoDined on 5/16/2014Our food was Delicious and teh service was great. My only concern was that it was really noisy and sometimes hard to have a conversation. Would definitely recommend this BYOB. We were pre-theatre and got served in plenty of time to make our show!Special Features:
- Enjoyable ExperienceJamieKDined on 5/7/2014Celebrated my daughter's 24th birthday there. Had read some reviews that it was noisy and the diners felt rushed - found both of these to be true. However, the food was very good, the staff was very nice (although extremely difficult to hear over the noise and we did feel a bit rushed) and overall it was a nice experience. We coincidentally were invited to the same restaurant a week later. This time, we were guests at an event of about 16 to 20 people. We were in a private room in the lower level -- a perfect setting for a group this size. Noise was not a factor and we felt much less rushed and the food was still as delicious (and portions quite large!).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful as always.DennieDined on 5/6/2014We have dined here many times. This time we brought someone, that has never been to La Fontana Della Citta. He enjoyed immensely. He is going again in two weeks.Special Features:
- Date NightAmberDined on 5/3/2014on arrival to the resturant there were multiple groups of 10+ . We were told there was no room inside due to the large groups however the owner immidiatly accompanied us to a table outside which worked out wonderful since they have heat lamps. The staff was very prompt and the food was delicious. I had the Penne alla vodka and my boyfriend had the special with crab meat and sausage.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fairSandyVIPDined on 5/2/2014We were somewhat disappointed in our dining experience. My fish had little taste and I had to send the dessert back.
- Great foodBertieVIPDined on 5/2/2014The head waiter is very friendly and knowledgable. At our previous visit we forgot to bring wine...so he provided 2 glasses of wine for free....BYOB RESTAURANT.Special Features:
- Good but not greatnightvouyerDined on 4/24/2014Service people seemed to have a bit of attitude. Food was delicious. We were somewhat disappointed that they were not part of Dining Out for AidsSpecial Features: