La Fontana Della Citta
1701 Spruce Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
La Fontana Della Citta
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.lafontanadellacitta.com/
- Phone: 2158759990
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 2:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Bujar Daku
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: 10 people and up
- Private Party Facilities: Business meeting, Birthdays, Weddings & Rehearsal Dinners. Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Bujar or Rafael. 2158759990
A word from La Fontana Della Citta
Jersey Shore pilgrims might be familiar with La Fontana Del Mare ("The Fountain of the Sea"), the award-winning restaurant in Strathmere. Owner Rafael Kupa is excited to bring his most popular dishes to Philly at this new "Fountain of the City," a 100-seat BYOB right off Rittenhouse Square.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
La Fontana Della Citta reviews from OpenTable diners
46 reviews since April 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (25)great for outdoor dining (16)good for groups (14)special occasion (13)fit for foodies (12)romantic (11)hot spot (2)great for lunch (1)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- AmazingNYfoodloverDined on 8/12/2014Food and service are consistently amazing. I'm from New York and this is one of my favorite Italian restaurants in Philly. Food is always fresh and high quality.Special Features:
- Wait staffBarbDined on 8/8/2014Although the wait staff were friendly enough, they just weren't present. And I was never sure who our waiter was....we had many different waiters. My friend and I sat for about 20 minutes before we finally asked if we could order. And they seemed surprised when we asked for an ice bucket for our white wine after we had been there awhile. It then took a long time to get a dessert menu and, then again, to get our check. We were sitting outside and think we could have just left without paying and no one would have noticed! Food was good, not overpriced for what it was. Sitting outside was pleasant but it was very noisy inside and we were glad we had not gone inside to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious specialsmariekVIPDined on 7/20/2014We each had one of the specials. They were fantastic. We had outdoor seating, so I can't comment on the noise level. It was our first time there and it was great.I had the fish special and my husband had pasta with shrimp, crab, and hmmm, I don't recall, maybe asparagus. great sauce. My fish also had asparagus.Special Features:
- Monday NightMWRJDined on 7/14/2014I had relatives in town and decided to go there so we could walk around Rittenhouse afterwards. I made reservations, but we were the only ones there at 6:30. It got a little busier later, but it was still quiet. The food was excellent. One person had the gnocchi and said it was perfect. The dessert was very good too. I had been before and that time we sat outside which was great.Special Features:
- DeliciousJenniDined on 7/4/2014Great friendly service. Yummy food. Cork fee 1.95. Long wait for entrees but five if you sip wine and order appetizers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodvcvcVIPDined on 6/27/2014It was our first time here and we will return. The food was good; in fact better than good.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/21/2014Can't say enough about the service - such a great place! Staff was so wonderful and very friendly - again great place!Special Features:
- lunchMetzVIPDined on 6/19/2014Lunch is same menu including prices as dinner. Ordered a special and it was over $30. They should let you know. Place was empty and I now know why. I will stick to dinner here.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/14/2014Food was delicious. Service was very poor. We had a reservation and still waiting 20 minutes to get seated. We were seated outside and we were somewhat forgotten about periodically throughout the evening.Special Features:
- FayeDined on 6/11/2014Brought another couple from out of town. California! Loved their dinner. They couldn't believe that you could bring your own bottle of wine. Server could have been more attentive. A great place to gather itch friendsSpecial Features:
- Worst dining experience ever!Jerseymike83Dined on 5/31/2014I made a reservation for two at 8pm. We arrive and were seated pretty quickly which was probably the best part of our experience. 30 minutes go by before we even get a glass of water and place an order for our appetizer. This was unacceptable. A server didn't even take our order. It was the hostess who sat us that took it. We didn't even know if there were specials that night Bc she came over and was like "I can help you, are you ready." Umm we've been ready! It was horrible and I'll never recommend this place to anyone.Special Features:
- Way too NoisyDonnVIPDined on 5/24/2014Food and service is unparalleled. Unfortunately, the great ambience was tarnished by the boisterous noise level of patrons drinking too much during a holiday weekend. First time this ever happened at this marvelous restaurant, but we will not be returning on a weekend night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid Italian fareAndrewVIPDined on 5/20/2014Solid Italian fare at reasonable prices. Good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- La Fontana Della CittaHungryhippoDined on 5/16/2014Our food was Delicious and teh service was great. My only concern was that it was really noisy and sometimes hard to have a conversation. Would definitely recommend this BYOB. We were pre-theatre and got served in plenty of time to make our show!Special Features:
- Enjoyable ExperienceJamieKDined on 5/7/2014Celebrated my daughter's 24th birthday there. Had read some reviews that it was noisy and the diners felt rushed - found both of these to be true. However, the food was very good, the staff was very nice (although extremely difficult to hear over the noise and we did feel a bit rushed) and overall it was a nice experience. We coincidentally were invited to the same restaurant a week later. This time, we were guests at an event of about 16 to 20 people. We were in a private room in the lower level -- a perfect setting for a group this size. Noise was not a factor and we felt much less rushed and the food was still as delicious (and portions quite large!).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful as always.DennieDined on 5/6/2014We have dined here many times. This time we brought someone, that has never been to La Fontana Della Citta. He enjoyed immensely. He is going again in two weeks.Special Features:
- Date NightAmberDined on 5/3/2014on arrival to the resturant there were multiple groups of 10+ . We were told there was no room inside due to the large groups however the owner immidiatly accompanied us to a table outside which worked out wonderful since they have heat lamps. The staff was very prompt and the food was delicious. I had the Penne alla vodka and my boyfriend had the special with crab meat and sausage.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fairSandyVIPDined on 5/2/2014We were somewhat disappointed in our dining experience. My fish had little taste and I had to send the dessert back.
- Great foodBertieDined on 5/2/2014The head waiter is very friendly and knowledgable. At our previous visit we forgot to bring wine...so he provided 2 glasses of wine for free....BYOB RESTAURANT.Special Features:
- Good but not greatnightvouyerDined on 4/24/2014Service people seemed to have a bit of attitude. Food was delicious. We were somewhat disappointed that they were not part of Dining Out for AidsSpecial Features:
- The following 547 reviews are from the La Fontana Della Citta reviews archive.
- EASTER SUNDAYIRISHGEMDined on 4/20/2014MY FAMILY AND I WENT THERE ON EASTER SUNDAY FOR DINNER THE EXPERIENCE WAS AWESOME.! THE WAITERS WERE GREAT THE FOOD WAS SUPERB i COULD NOT ASK FOR ANYTHING MORE.Special Features:
- Perfect place for a celebrationprofviolet417Dined on 4/17/2014La Fontana della Città proved once again to be an excellent choice for our celebration with family and friends. The food is always lovely and the service impeccable. The atmosphere was appropriately joyous. We appreciated the extra attention and generous treat offered by the staff in honor of my son's milestone birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spring flingSpeedbumpDined on 4/12/2014Our party of six enjoyed a very nice spring dinner at La Fontana this Saturday. We were seated immediately and thus begun a lovely evening. The appetizers of fried calamari and antipasto were both delicious and freshly prepared. Our entrees were all satisfying because of the generous portions and attention to fine preparation. Our waiter, Florent was wonderful. He was attentive to our needs and requests, prompt with service, courteous and made certain that our evening was very enjoyable. He was gracious enough to offer us house wine because we forgot that La Fontan is BYOB. At my request , he pulled together a wonderful birthday celebration for our friend with a Tiira Misu cake and candle and a troop of waiters to sing Happy Birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Confused DinningSuburbanDinerDined on 4/5/2014Chaotic, noisy, crowded but delicious - that sums up La Fontana Della Citta. The food was terrific. All of us really enjoyed the quality, preparation and presentation. It is a red sauce Italian, but the flavors were outstanding, the portions perfectly sized and the food came to us quickly. On the down side, the first page of the menu had rules (WTF?), the staff was constantly bumping into us and as soon as the last bite was eaten, the server stood by our table to get us to leave. On the way out, the hostess ran in to me attempting to get back to her station. They seemed to reserve the front for the well dressed, lawyers and trophy wives and put everybody else out of sight in the back. In a nut shell, great food poor experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- MenuanonDined on 4/5/2014While the menu looks wonderful in general, the very first items on the 1st page list all the rules of the house: minimum per person charge for dining, not to overstay at the table when done, #'s of credit cards per table and several others....To us that is distasteful, not to publish but to have it located as the 1st thing you see....Sets a tone like you are in school and being told what the rules are or you will get in trouble.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- spottyVinsMomVIPDined on 4/2/2014We have had good meals here and then sometimes much less than good. My pasta the other night was incredibly tasteless. The white wine sauce tasted of raw flour. ….as did the parmesan cheese…had it been cut with flour? To be fair, my guest liked his pasta a lot. The service is normally fine. Will I go back, probably, and hope that I catch it on an upswing.
- Great service!Ehoop20Dined on 3/23/2014The service was outstanding! My friend and I both enjoyed our food, but I would definitely go back there mainly for how nice we were treated!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced CarboHridoydoctorVIPDined on 3/23/2014Good location. Did not realize a dish overwhelmingly dominated by pasta and a few pieces of protein could be so expensive. Certainly overpriced. Waited long for pasta dishes to be prepared.Special Features:
- The food is pretty good, butOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/22/2014The food is pretty good, but we'll not return. They charge a corkage fee, and will only take 2 credit cards per table. They hustle you to pay and leave once your plates are cleared.
- first time and loved it!lafontanawesomeDined on 3/22/2014I went to La Fontana with my girlfriend for the first time this weekend. She had been before and raved about it so I thought we'd give it a try. I don't think I can say one bad thing about our experience. I reservation was for 6:45 and after walking around the city we thought around 6:15 we'd see if there was a possibility of getting in a little early. They took us immediately and put us at a nice little table in the back where it was nice and quiet. Our server was very polite and made the dining experience memorable. The food was absolutely amazing. We had the portobella mushroom in basalmic appetizer and it was absolutely amazing! We both tried on of the dinner specials and the food was incredible. Definitely recommend and we will be backSpecial Features:
- Great food...not-so-good serviceRachelDined on 3/22/2014We had made a reservation for 3 through Open Table for a Saturday night. We arrived right on time, however, the servers did not have a table ready for us, and then crammed the 3 of us into a table for 2 against the wall. We were constantly being hit by the servers and other customers trying to get around us. The food was fantastic...however, the experience was not fantastic. The restaurant was also very loud and noisy because everyone was seated so close together.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulRickJBDined on 3/15/2014Really fantastic food, good lively and young atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodPhillyphanDined on 3/15/2014Our overall experience was a pleasant one. The ceasar salad was bland but enjoyed everything else we ordered. The service was good but after dessert our waiter disappeared and we had to wait for the check. I would return to this byob and give it another try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre Theater dining. AttentiveOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/14/2014Pre Theater dining. Attentive service, food good, byob nice. Atmosphere -- a bit dated and worn.
- The food was just ok thisMitchdishVIPDined on 3/13/2014The food was just ok this time. I have been at this restaurant many, many times and the food has been better.
- We were a group of 5, servicedishDined on 3/13/2014We were a group of 5, service excellent. We all had different entres and everyone commented on how good their dinner was. The staff was most accomodating and friendly.Special Features:
- eat and move!BWHCDined on 2/22/2014Not only could we barely hear each other, we were packed in like sardines and the only service we received was when they needed something - like to have us change tables. There are numerous Italian restaurants in Philly, I'd say try one of the others first.Special Features:
- A great mealSunnyDined on 2/22/2014Looking for terrific old school Italian food with flair - this is the spot. It is cozy, warm, and classy. Presentation is perfect. Food is tasty. Staff is attentive. Really recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top notchOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 2/18/2014Very good experience from start to finish. Service was outstanding. Seated on time for my reservation at a great table by the window. Food was served promptly and piping hot. Everything tasted great and I plan on returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best food AND it's a BYOB!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/15/2014Best BYOB I've ever been to. the food is absolutely delicious and the staff is always friendly. Never had to wait if I made reservations. Staff wasn't pushy to get us out either. I've been here three times and this weekend went with my boyfriend for dinner to celebrate. It was very romantic and I liked that the staff didn't bother us much (they could tell we were fine though, weren't neglecting us).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.