La Fontana Del Mare
1 S. Commonwealth Avenue
Strathmere, NJ 08248Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
La Fontana Del Mare
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.lafontanadelmare.com/
- Phone: 6092637700x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday: 2:00pm - 10:00pm, Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Bujar Daku
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, BYO Liquor, Delivery, Entertainment, Fireplace, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We cater for parties of 10 people and up.
- Private Party Facilities: We offer private dining options for business meetings, birthdays, weddings & rehearsal dinners. Please contact us directly for more details.
- Private Party Contact: Bujar Daku 6092339660x
A word from La Fontana Del Mare
La Fontana Del Mare was first opened in 1998 by Bujar Daku, the head chef and Gani Daku. It is a landmark restaurant, only a block away in small town Strathmere (midway between Sea Isle City and Ocean City). It is a place where diners by the sea can get a splendid taste of Italian from the City of Brotherly Love in a round-about way. The restaurant offers adjusted menus for all kind of diets, therefore making the place open to everyone. We are also accessible to those with disabilities fulfilling the ADA requirements.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
La Fontana Del Mare - Best Restaurants in Strathmere ›
La Fontana Del Mare reviews from OpenTable diners
70 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (36)neighborhood gem (35)special occasion (26)good for groups (19)romantic (13)kid-friendly (8)hot spot (6)scenic view (2)notable wine list (1)great for outdoor dining (1)late-night find (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- A Must StopDrewDined on 9/12/2014One of the must stops when at the Jersey Shore, the food is outstanding and priced very reasonable, our reservation was for 8 PM we arrived 10 minutes early and were seated immediately.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant niteTishDined on 9/12/2014Very satisfying meal delivered in polite and timely manner. Would recommend to a friend. Enjoyed red snapper and my lady enjoyed seafood and pasta.Special Features:
- Good and badRustyVIPDined on 9/6/2014Only complaint is honoring reservations. We know this and compensate since we live in neighborhood. Be prepared to wait 1/2 hour even with reservation getting pricy as all ala carte. Food worth th waiteSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wendy 910OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/5/2014Great food as always. Since Todd has been on board the reservations are always on time . We can walk to this restaurant and it really is a gem. I had the lobster ravioli and man was it good. I recommend this restaurant to anyone. Being BYOB just adds to the fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014there was only a 430,500,and 900 reservation avail on opentable. 5 is a bit early for us but took it anyway. when we left at 615 there was plenty of space to sit. not sure why we could not get a later reservation. I cannot trust your website anymore to make reservsations very disappointed with the time frame available and what was the real truth. please email me on this,i would like to know your side of this error. Maria LeoneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!GinaDined on 8/30/2014Risotto is the best! Love all of the Fontana's in Strathmere, Sea Isle and Avalon!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!NeverBetterDined on 8/26/2014Fantastic experience, fantastic dinner, fantastic price, fantastic service!Special Features:
- LuperduperLuperduperDined on 8/25/2014The six of us were given a round table....a big plus! The food was excellent and the service was wonderful. We actually had such a terrific time that we were the last to leave...and they didn't push us out. We all look forward to more visits here.Special Features:
- Great Italian Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/21/2014Delicious food. Nice atmosphere and BYOB. Perfect chicken and veal dishes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to eat!Golf2XSDined on 8/14/2014First trip was there last year and we were hooked! We were 4 adults and an adventurous teen and everyone found something they enjoyed. Grab a bottle or two of your favorite wine and go - you won't be disappointed. Sadly we can only go once a year.Special Features:
- Great dinner and BYOB OptionJeffDined on 8/12/2014Great dinner and BYOB Option, Veal Fontanta was cooked perfectly, house vinegarette was delightful and even though you won't need it with the portions being as large as they are, I'd recommend a side of sausage in marinara - it was just a great dining experience for the beach out side of the hustle and bustle of ocean city or sea isleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OK not great.ddrewVIPDined on 8/7/2014We were going to share the calamari appetizer but our waiter said it was too small to share. Well it was plenty big enough. We both ordered the veal special and at $36.95 thought it was pricy and just so-so. Veal a bit chewey. Our waiter was efficient but seemed sad. Maybe just a bad day but made it less enjoyable for us.Special Features:
- Excellent start to finishMjploveslifeDined on 8/5/2014If you want to come off the beach after a great day, get a little casually dressed up, go to La Fontana. Strath mere is the quintessential small beach town and then you enter La Fontana and you forget you are at the beach, which is ok for a little while. The wait staff comes over and opens that favorite bottle your brought along tells you of the specials and your night begins. Great food follows at a great pace and as you leave they genuinely thank you for visiting with them. Don't miss the Veal dishes, pastas are excellent, seafood was also a star. A great great night!!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentOdiebeansDined on 8/1/2014Great food as always. Service and ambience enjoyable.Special Features:
- Great Italian foodBatman1964Dined on 7/31/2014Food is awesome !! Very good all around!! Best in StrathmereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I highly recommend this restaurant.AlanDined on 7/31/2014Go on and try it. You'll love the food. My wife and two boy's are also foodies. We must have spoken about the restaurant a half a dozen times or so that week.Special Features:
- Arrogant service, very poor foodGenieDined on 7/30/2014The waitress, Bettina, was rude & annoyed when asked for a kids menu. She informed us it was unavailable. When asked questions about the items on the menu - she said "whatever it says there." Individual side dishes were ordered for the kids & 2 entrees for the adults. When the food arrived, the pastas were very under cooked, & the chicken was over cooked & could not be cut. The string beans tasted & smelled like fish. We tried to get our waitress's attention but were rebuffed. We could not finish our meals. The check was brought to the table & the waitress charged each kid for an entree they did not order. When this was disputed, the waitress argued with us. The manager said he had no knowledge of what we had so he couldn't help.
- Excellent BYOB Italian RestaurantBYOBforMeDined on 7/29/2014Delicious meals, excellent portions, knowledgeable and personable waiter. 4th time there and enjoyed each timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A disappointmentSoosDined on 7/28/2014We have been to this spot before. The staff is charming and terrific. Appetizers were great although the olive oil brought with the bread tastes more like cooking oil. This time we ordered 2 of the specials; a fish and oso buco. The meat was tender and flavorful but the risotto was tasteless and mushy, boiling hot in the middle of the serving. It had clearly been zapped in the microwave. The fish looked beautiful, served with a tomato sauce. It too, had very little flavor and was boiling on the inside. The green beans served with it were grey from being over cooked. We you pay $40 for an entree like we did with both of these you wouldn't expect the quality we received.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/26/2014I live in neighborhood and am sad when it closes for the season. Excellent food and atmosphere . Bujar continues to produce excellent food and reservations are actually honored . We had a great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Dining Down the ShoreOysterLoverDined on 7/24/2014Consistently excellent Italian food that includes a lot of seafood dishes. Service is very good and the waiter was very knowledgeable. Food came out at the proper temperature. Desserts are tasty and made on site. Never disappoints. Not your typical beach restaurant.Special Features:
- Dinner for familyCudablgDined on 7/18/2014Dinner with family during vacation in sea isle. Scallops wrapped in bacon were excellent but waitress only brought 1 order instead of 2. She rectified situation and gave us a 15% discount. Veal dish and pasta special were very goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodocdiningDined on 7/12/2014Food was very good. Waitress was very good; other wait staff was a little rough (may have been a language thing.) Had an 8pm reservation for 6 people and sat immediately on a Saturday night in July (maybe we got lucky?) Would highly recommend. Be prepared though - it is pricey.
- family traditionOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/8/2014We have dined at La Fontana every summer for the last 4 years. The food and service is always excellent. Kid friendly as well. Our waiter Rilind (goes by Roland) was very attentive and friendly. Looking forward to returning for another great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous DinnerMS32PMDined on 7/3/2014Dinner was fabulous. Food and service excellent. Hidden gem. Will definitely visit Rittenhouse location at home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice mealTomCDined on 7/1/2014We ate early (6:30pm) to avoid the crowds during the July 4th week. The restaurant was pleasant and just slightly formal (not a bad thing) . The waiter and other staff were attentive without being too friendly or pushy. We had good veal dishes, something you don't find in many restaurants anymore. BYOB is nice. The restaurant has several others in its family of restaurants. We would go back for another meal in a heart beat.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!Suziep7Dined on 6/19/2014It's hard to find good food at the shore but La Fontana Del Mare had exceptional dinners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurant at the shoreHealthyMomDined on 6/18/2014The food here was amazing and we decided that it was our favorite restaurant at the shore. Their angel hair pasta was the thinnest I have ever had and was amazing. Their special arugula salad was gourmet quality and their special lobster ravioli in a blush sauce was the best! I hope they put both items on the menu every night. The dinner was topped off by a complimentary glass of homemade Lemoncella that was excellent. We will definitely be coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodloverDined on 6/15/2014we love to come here. The food is always good and service is very good also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant weekRickcontiDined on 6/9/2014We had a great time. Worth talking about our server Vigan that made our night even more special A++..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently a Great ExperiencenjBeachYOGADined on 6/7/2014We are fans of both La Fontana Del Mare and La Fontanna Coast. The service is courteous and they keep your water glasses full before you need to ask. You genuinely feel like they are so happy to have your business! Food is fresh, delicious and nice portions. We love it.Special Features:
- The following 96 reviews are from the La Fontana Del Mare reviews archive.
- Nice placelovetoeatDined on 5/11/2014Chose La Fontana for Mother's Day dinner. Not crowded. Dining room was not quite 1/2 full. Music was a little loud. Food was excellent. Service was very good. Would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MikeVIPDined on 5/11/2014Our favorite Italian Restaurant at the shore. Enjoyed the grilled octopus special for appetizer. Little pasta hats stuffed with figs an Gorgonzola topped With shrimp and scallops in a light rose sauce was awesome.
- Summers overKarenKVIPDined on 10/4/2013We ate at La Fontana in Strathmere this past Friday. The food and service were very good. Nice to BYOB. The place was still quite crowded even though the beach resort streets are empty now. Everyone down here must be at La Fontana for dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great mealGZEEDined on 9/28/2013My family and friends love La Fontana Del Mare. We were seated immediately upon arrival. The waiter, whose name escapes me, from Albania, answered all questions and was very helpful to those undecided when choosing their meal. Gnocchi Sorrentino is out of this world. We always have a delicious meal.Special Features:
- My wife and I are long termBobFVIPDined on 9/27/2013My wife and I are long term patrons of La Fontana de Mar. Traditionally, the food is/was excellent and the service prompt and professional. Unfortunately, on our last vist, the service was horrible. Long wait fro the server to show at our table (we actually asked another server to have our server come to our table), long wait for him to take our order, and to bring us our check. We were very diappointed. The managemment needs to fix the service issue!!! Now on a positive note, the food as always was excellent. Well preparted, nicely prosented. Unfortunately, the service issue generally spoiled the dinner and our vist.Special Features:
- Not Great..mpageVIPDined on 9/21/2013Having been here before we were looking forward to introducing some friends to this place. It was a mistake to have gone. The Open Table reservation meant nothing. When we got there on time, we were told it would be 10 more minutes, which is acceptable on any Saturday nght. However, it was just short of an hour before we were seated. The special appetizer of the evening looked and tasted like it had been prepared hours before and kept in a warmer. The ingredients and flavors were indistiguisable. One of our parties entree was so poorly prepared and over-salted as to be inedible. Location is everything and this restaurants proximity to Ocean City makes it popular despite its misfires. I can't say we will return.
- It was a slow night, onlyOut2eatDined on 9/12/2013It was a slow night, only about 6 other tables. They were very accommodating for my vegan husband. I'm not sure they would have been on a busy night. Food was good. Service was good except they didn't give us our 20% off as advertised on the sign out front. It read 20% off total bill for diners between 4-6:00pm. We were seated at 5:20 and got our check at 6:30. After bringing it to the waiters attention we received the discount. Would return to this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- worth the waitGMRCAMVIPDined on 9/7/2013We had to wait an hour after our reservation to be seated and they were out of the vegetable lasagna which I ordered. The hostess brought glasses outside and opened bottles so we could have some wine while waiting for our table. We were treating our friends who had not been there before. As always, the food was superb and the service was excellent. We had clams, pasta, risotto, and two people ordered a veal special, which they really enjoyed. Despite the long wait, La Fontana did not disappoint. We always enjoy our meals there.
- Great place to find a biteEddieDined on 9/1/2013Great place to find a bite to eat that is not your standard beach fare.I would recommend this to a friend.