La Fontaine Restaurant
186 Castro Street
Mountain View, CA 94041Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
La Fontaine Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.lafontainerestaurant.com/
- Phone: (650) 968-2300x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: M-F 11:30am-2:00pm
Dinner: Su-M 5:00pm-9:00pm
Dinner: T-Th 5:00pm-9:30pm
Dinner: F-Sa 5:00pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, French
- Executive Chef: Hasan Yildiz
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please inquire about catering for your event our meeting. We can create menus according to your event and budget.
- Cross Street: Villa Street
- Public Transit: CalTrain: The Mountain View stop is two blocks from the restaurant.
Public Transportation: The VTA bus stop is in front of the restaurant.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking: We recommend the 4-story parking structure behind the restaurant (enter on Cherry).
There are also other parking lots along Cherry or street parking.
A word from La Fontaine Restaurant
Spiced with the flavors of France and Italy, La Fontaine serves an array of pasta dishes, entrees (chicken, veal, or fish) and seafood specialties. Whether you're craving something creamy, tomato-based or succulent, there's a dish for everyone to enjoy. Be sure to check out our full bar and happy hour specials (M-F from 5-7pm).Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
La Fontaine Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
35 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (16)neighborhood gem (14)great for outdoor dining (12)romantic (9)special occasion (9)good for groups (8)great for lunch (8)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (4)late-night find (4)notable wine list (4)vibrant bar scene (3)hot spot (3)scenic view (3)Show More
- My Review of La FontaineMeFoodieDined on 10/18/2014This is the third time I've eaten at this restaurant. While my experience hasn't always been good, in this case both the food and service were excellent. I ordered the eggplant augratin appetizer and the steak frites entre (consisting of a good quality rib eye steak served with a mushroom sauce and very slender French fried potatoes). In addition, the service could not have been better!Special Features:
- Excellent food and serviceEhowesDined on 10/15/2014Service was excellent with no rushing and the food was excellent. Will go again. The only problem was trying to find a parking spot. Five minute walk from parking spot. (on a week day, Wednesday!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- service slow , food is great.foodcriticsDined on 10/1/2014we reserved for a party of 6 on tuesday evening, and the restaurant was half full. The appetitizer came pretty quick and it was very tasty。 We then order main dishes and we have waited for at least 45 mins for them to prepare. Meanwhile, we asked for more bread but they never got back to us. After little less than an hour, the food came, my corden bleu was a little overcooked, and the portion is a little small.Special Features:
- Lovely Sunday brunchNum2NumDined on 9/28/2014Enjoyed our brunch at La Fontaine very much. Delicious food and attentive service - perfect! Strongly recommend it to all.Special Features:
- Erratic Quality - Pleasant AmbienceBusinessDinerDined on 8/10/2014The outside dinning ambience was pleasant with good food presentation. My companion said the Chicken Paillard was tasty and hot when served. My short ribs were tender, seasoned nicely but barely warm, and the meat had an "off" taste - not quite freezer burn but old. This was a business meeting so I could not afford to appear finicky by sending the ribs back - so I ate bread. Only half the outside tables were occupied and the multiple servers were polite but it took two requests, and what felt like forever, to get the bread basket replenished. There are plenty of other restaurants on Castro Street so I do not plan to return and have let my friends know that while pleasant the quality was erratic so they might enjoy another restaurant better.Special Features:
- Nice French RestaurantSiyuDined on 8/8/2014I would say this is an authentic French restaurant. I and my friend enjoy the meal from the appetizer to dessert. Meanwhile, in the bar, two ladies laughed really loudly and continuously during our dinner, it was the most loud laughing I had never met. I didn't really mind, but I had to speak loudly to make the beautiful young lady facing on me hear well. So if you are looking for good foods, here is for you. If you want to have a romantic dinner, I won't recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, as alwaysrodcDined on 8/8/2014Another delightful meal, well-presented and thoroughly enjoyed!Special Features:
- Great food, great service!rodcDined on 7/11/2014my wife and I ate dinner here and we were shown immediately to our nice table. The servers were prompt and courteous, attentive to our every need. The menu had many intriguing items and we found the food to be very tasty! We will definitely be back soon! It also looked like there were plenty of items on the menu for the kids, so we'l bring them next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful intimate restaurantVictoriaDined on 6/29/2014I love this restaurant for lunch and dinner, whether it's a large dinner party, a work lunch, or a romantic dinner with my sweetie. The restaurant is small and intimate with attentive waiters (but they don't hover!) who are content for you to have a quick meal or a two hour dining experience--whatever you desire. Don't miss the goat cheese appetizer because it's spectacular!Special Features:
- The following 42 reviews are from the La Fontaine Restaurant reviews archive.
- Great Father's Day LunchKWlovefoodDined on 6/14/2014I wanted to have French-Italian food for my Father's Day lunch and found La Fontaine on Castro Street. The restaurant has been opened for about a year but there are only a couple of reviews about it. We found the bartender/waiter extremely friendly and helpful. He spoke with a lovely European accent and was attentive throughout our dining experience. We enjoyed our drinks and every dish we ordered especially the fantastic dessert choices. At the end, I was treated to a free glass of Cosmopolitan served in an artistic cocktail crystal to celebrate my Father's Day! My wife was happy to pay the bill which was quite reasonable considering the quality of the food and the wonderful service. I must go back for dinner soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChildrenOliverDined on 6/10/2014Out of control children. Management did nothing to stop the noise. Ruined for everyone else.
- Good OpportunitySWoodDined on 6/7/2014The food was OK, but nothing special. The staff were attentive. The location is great and the outdoor dining nice.Special Features:
- Fine selection and serviceJWalTDined on 6/1/2014We've dined at La Fontaine a few times in the past year, including New Year's Eve, and have always left satisfied. The wait staff is attentive without hovering. They provide excellent wine recommendations and the menu is diverse. Is it French or Italian? As they say, it's a fusion. They use an interesting combination of ingredients and unique sauces, pay attention to presentation, and, if you want it, a variety of pasta dishes. Portions are relatively generous. There's nothing unique about the dessert selection, but often decorated with fresh fruit and always tasty.Special Features:
- DrnotthatfussyDined on 5/31/2014From the review we expected a good, if not great dinner. Unfortunately, our entrees were below par. The ribs were fairly dry, and not tasty; the duck didn't have much flavor either. The profiteroles were good, though small. For a restaurant on Castro in Mt. View to be half-full Saturday night, we are not the only ones who think it's time for a new chef or a menu review.
- Great startWinstonDined on 5/23/2014This restaurant is relatively new and could use improvements in service and food. My seafood boulabaisse was lukewarm and bland. I had them reheat it in the microwave. The others in our party also thought their dishes were too bland. The service was great with drink ordèrs but slow after that. This can become a terric dining option with some minor adjustments.Special Features:
- LenoreDined on 5/22/2014Menu was quite varied. We had four people and we ordered different dishes. All were quite good. Staff was friendly and service was fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- too noisy this timeCarolynVIPDined on 5/14/2014I always enjoy La Fontaine, but for some reason this time, the music was playing at too loud of a volume and it was not easy to have an enjoyable conversation. I have not had this issue there beforeSpecial Features:
- Always wonderfulCarolynVIPDined on 5/2/2014When I have someone coming from out of town, I always impress them with the food and service here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place for quiet lunchMikeDined on 4/28/2014Had lunch with a friend at sidewalk tables outside restaurant. Very nice and good for conversation. Not hurried at all. Good service.Special Features:
- tapsDined on 4/27/2014We were a party of 10 on a Sunday night, our table was ready and wait staff were also. Service was prompt and unobtrusive. Food was very good, except one pasta dish was a bit dry. We brought our own wine for the main course, but did order a bottle to share before ordering. Corkage was a reasonable $15/bottle. We enjoyed dinner very much and will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French/Italian FusionGordonVIPDined on 4/25/2014This restaurant serves the best of what France and Italy have to offer. Definitely not your usual pasta place! The Salmon Wellington with beurre blanc sauce was innovative and satisfying; both my date and I enjoyed it. We shared the house salad with Italian olives and found it just the right prelude to the dinner.Special Features:
- Great Italian food in Mountain ViewmvdenizenDined on 4/18/2014If you've been waiting for a solidly decent Italian meal in Mountain View, La Fontaine is the answer to your prayers. Bread came first, and it was a great start. The olive oil had a nice blend of herbs and spices, surprisingly spicy. The cobb salad was fresh and vibrant, with sweet fresh tomatoes, crisp lettuce, and perfectly cooked bacon. The angel hair pasta was well-cooked and well-seasoned. I got mine with clams (instead of chicken or shrimp) and they were fresh and meaty. The sauce light yet flavorful. There was enough pasta for 2 meals. The gnocchi was perfectly cooked, with sauce that was super creamy. Drinks were well-made and delicious. Service was casual and delightful. We plan on making this a regular dinner spot.Special Features:
- Nice atmosphere, bland foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/12/2014It's a happy place, with decent service and an upbeat vibe. But the food is bland. I was looking forward to enjoying the salmon Wellington, but its looks far out-shined its taste. Likewise, the bruschetta of smoked salmon and artichoke sounded great, but was merely adequate (bread, cream cheese, a sliver of lox and a sliver of artichoke: that's NOT bruschetta...it should have olive oil & rubbed garlic, not cream cheese!). Dinner for two will easily cost over $100. For just a little bit more you can avail yourself of a truly upscale restaurant.
- Wonderful findbeeliaDined on 4/10/2014Great food, excellent service, quiet enough to have a long conversation. We will be back!Special Features:
- Always excellent food and serviceCarolynVIPDined on 4/7/2014It is nice to have a good ciOntinental restaurant in the heart of the ethnic area of Mountain View- food and service and wines excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average foodMarieHeleneVIPDined on 4/4/2014I have mix review about this place. Some dishes were average and some dishes were below average. Appetizers were good and the bouillabaisse was ok. However my husband had the veal cutlet . This dish was bad: the sauce was wrong and the veal was thin and no taste.Special Features:
- Delicious!ComfortFoodDined on 3/29/2014Carrot and potato soup was wonderful, and seabass was cooked perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Difficult to find Cordon Bleu, Yes!BfromCAVIPDined on 3/15/2014I love the Cordon Bleu which is difficult to find in the US. I like that the kitchen is so visible in the restaurant behind glass. On Saturday night, the live music was entertaining and created a nice atmosphere. Some reviewers were talking about the menu choices being traditional, I rather enjoy some real tasty classic preparations, Cordon Bleu being one of them. The service was impeccable and we will certainly come back, often :-).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth coming back forDebgokDined on 3/13/2014This cute little French-Italian fusion restaurant is unique for its neighborhood. We sat outside on a cool evening, but when it got colder, they gladly moved us in for our main course. The calamari was very fresh and crisp and everyone was happy with their entres. I went with a group of die-hard "foodies," so there's a lot to be said for that. The short ribs are particularly good and the menu has something for everyone. Overall positive experience.Special Features:
- decent food - easy locationSusanKDined on 3/8/2014This restaurant is on the edge of a remodeled mall with lots of parking. The staff is exceptionally friendly and inviting. The menu items are tasty.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceCarolynVIPDined on 2/15/2014I have been to La Fontaine twice and both times the food and service were great. It is nice to have a good Mountain View for something non- Asian! We will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was excellent both inbari68Dined on 2/14/2014Food was excellent both in presentation and taste - Service was superb - a must dining experience- Plan on going back many times!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- classic food, well-preparedLaurahVIPDined on 2/8/2014Not an exciting menu, but a good range of choices. I had the chicken Cordon Bleu, my husband the veal saltimbocca. Both were delicious. Our friends had the game hen and the trout special and were very happy. We tried several appetizers as well. My favorite was the mushrooms with polenta, but all were tasty.I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place is AMAZING.JessicaDined on 2/1/2014We had the shrimp appetizer, salmon and veal saltimbocca - TO DIE FOR. Seriously, the best Italian food I have ever had outside of Italy. Nick and Hilary gave us rockstar service, drinks were divine. The atmosphere is excellent, beautiful lighting, romantic feel, and the acoustics didn't make us feel like everyone could hear our conversation. A big plus! Have dinner here sometime, you won't regret it! In fact, I'm sure you'll be back for more!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Food and ServiceSemimagicVIPDined on 2/1/2014We weren't actually looking for a spectacular restaurant when we made our reservation. There are a lot of good restaurants on Castro St in Mountain View. Visually, La Fontaine does not distinguish itself from many others. However, the staff was warm and outstanding. The menu was great and food superlative! The décor was clean and up-scale but not spectacular, probably limited by the long/thin dimensions of its allotted space. Not bad, just not up to the outsanding food and service! We will definitely go back! Excellent value, too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, good serviceBirthdayBobDined on 1/22/2014We were at La Fontaine on a Wednesday evening, with the end of the office-party crowd whooping it up (8 people at a table), and not many other customers. The greeter was also our waiter, and seemed to be managing the staff too. Our service was prompt and friendly, but neither the service nor the table settings was "special" in the way one appreciates for a special event. We had the goat cheese and caramelized onions (and more!) and the eggplant gratin for starters. Both delicious, the goat cheese dish outstanding. We had fish -- a red snapper special and the Salmon Wellington -- both good, but I really liked the Wellington. We chose a white wine, Pecorino Salva, by the glass, which was a wonderful accompaniment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All around excellentCarolynVIPDined on 12/30/2013My friend and I really enjoyed this restaurant. It is one of the few non-Asian restaurants on Castro Street and we found the food excellent. I was especiallly happy to see a restaurant that can offer chicken that is not chicken breast--the Coq au vin was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!drdon1996Dined on 12/30/2013This is an amazing place. If you are looking for quick service and a rushed meal then stay away, go to McDonald's. If you are looking for great food, great wine, and a relaxed atmosphere, then this is an excellent restaurant. My wife and I both enjoyed everything about La Fontaine, I have been looking for a great dill sauce served with salmon for some time and found it here. The spinach salad was incredible. The bottle of Italian red wine was perfect with our entrees. The texture of the creme brulee had the perfect amount of creaminess that this dessert is supposed to have. The one negative would be the tv over the bar but even that is smaller than most and not as in your face. We will be coming back often!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A relaxing, pleasant experiencefeedmeDined on 12/13/2013Two of us ordered the risotto of the day, Poulet Cordon Bleu (going old school for a change of pace) and a Caesar salad. Everything was well-prepared and reasonably-priced. The service was friendly and competent, as was the pacing of the courses. The room was quiet and attractive. Perhaps, most important, La Fontaine is one of the few places on Castro St. serving European cuisine, let alone French, at reasonable prices. All in all. We had no surprises, good or bad. Just a pleasant neighborhood restaurant that we'll return to. Note that three stars is not a bad review for me. Three is my average score for a "good" restaurant, which I believe is how the scale is supposed to work. Others seem to grade on an easier curve.Special Features:
- Menu a little boringJeanDined on 11/15/2013they need to add more variety, especially with pastas. Choices are dated 70's and 80's.