La Fontaine Restaurant
186 Castro Street
Mountain View, CA 94041Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
La Fontaine Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.lafontainerestaurant.com/
- Phone: (650) 968-2300
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: M-F 11:30am-2:00pm
Dinner: Su-M 5:00pm-9:00pm
Dinner: T-Th 5:00pm-9:30pm
Dinner: F-Sa 5:00pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, French
- Executive Chef: Hasan Yildiz
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please inquire about catering for your event our meeting. We can create menus according to your event and budget.
- Cross Street: Villa Street
- Public Transit: CalTrain: The Mountain View stop is two blocks from the restaurant.
Public Transportation: The VTA bus stop is in front of the restaurant.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking: We recommend the 4-story parking structure behind the restaurant (enter on Cherry).
There are also other parking lots along Cherry or street parking.
A word from La Fontaine Restaurant
Spiced with the flavors of France and Italy, La Fontaine serves an array of pasta dishes, entrees (chicken, veal, or fish) and seafood specialties. Whether you're craving something creamy, tomato-based or succulent, there's a dish for everyone to enjoy. Be sure to check out our full bar and happy hour specials (M-F from 5-7pm).Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
La Fontaine Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
52 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (26)neighborhood gem (23)great for outdoor dining (12)special occasion (10)romantic (9)great for lunch (9)good for groups (8)great for brunch (4)vibrant bar scene (4)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (3)notable wine list (3)late-night find (2)hot spot (2)Show More
- Would definately go back.OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 11/21/2014The service started slow but did improve.. It is very noisy and hard to hear without shouting.. We had 6 different entrees and everyone loved theirs. Salads were ok but not exceptionalI would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, nice servicefoodcriticDined on 11/21/2014The food was very nice. The service was good. The restaurant will be much nicer if they will introduce some sound absorbent surface to lower the level of noise. We will go back but only during warmer nights so we can stay outside and enjoy not only very good food but also nice conversation. DB level was so high when the restaurant was full that you could not hear the person next to you talking. It might be OK for 20 something, but for a middle age person the noise level is deafening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food, fantastic serviceSeanDined on 11/15/2014We had reservations and arrived a little early so sat at the bar and ordered wine. The bartender was very friendly and service was great. Service continued to be great as the rest of our party arrived and we moved to a table. The catch of the day was sole, and it was wonderfully prepared. I'd also recommend the Cordon Bleu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale dining in the neighborhoodMilpitasVIPDined on 11/12/2014We tried La Fontaine for the first time a couple of days ago, and were very impressed. We were seated immediately (we had reservations), and greeted right away. Drinks were great - unique and yummy. We had the calamari fritti appetizer - small portion but cooked perfectly with wonderful sauces. Beet salad was a little "meh" - lovely, but not very flavorful to my taste buds, and the beets were slightly undercooked. The halibut special was delicious, but the braised short ribs over polenta was over-the-top SCRUMPTIOUS! We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/8/2014The food was good, except for the pumpkin gnocchi (sauce) which was way too salty.
- Gourmet Food served here!SweetBasilVIPDined on 11/6/2014Our first visit was lunch and we wanted to try as much as we could. the Bruschetta & the Gratin of eggplant & ricotta were wonderful as was the arugula and beet salad. Our main courses were the Chx Scaloppini and the Sole. The whole meal was truly gourmet experience. I want to try the Gnoochi next time because the waitress let us try the sauce & it was heavenly!Special Features:
- My Review of La FontaineMeFoodieDined on 11/2/2014I came for dinner and ordered the crab cakes appetizer followed by the boulibaise as a main entrée. The appetizer consisted of two crab cakes served on a bed of arugula. The boulibaise consisted of a large bowl with a combination of mussels, clams, scallops, prawns and salmon. I thought the crab cakes were very good and the boulibaise was just good. Unfortunately, the restaurant became very noisy as I was finishing my meal.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/29/2014The food and service were outstanding at La Fonaine Restaurant. We started with the olive appetizer which was delicious and artfully displayed. The warm goat cheese appetizer encrusted with pistchios with crostini was very tasty. The salmon wellington was beautiful with risotto underneath it and served with veggies. Delicious. The dessert was divine - profiteroles. We loved the whole dinner. The weak point was the small wine list. Our server was very friendly and helpful. The ambience was lovely and the back-lit bar was very pretty. I would definitely go again!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant eveningBachanDined on 10/29/2014This is a nice little restaurant with tasty food and attentive service.Special Features:
- Glad We Came!AHreviewVIPDined on 10/27/2014La Fontaine was a great choice for a birthday lunch. We ate indoors, but there are tabes out front as well. We loved the food and service. The menu has many choices. We had baked goat cheese with honey and pistachios, followed by lovely greens with hazenuts and red and yellow beets - plenty to share. Both were super. Our entrees were shellfish over pasta in a tomato sauce, and chicken with mushrooms in a white sauce. Wonderful. We'll be back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Had the Salmon Wellington and it was delicious! Would definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Review of La FontaineMeFoodieDined on 10/23/2014I ordered the salmon wellington and my wife ordered the boulibaise. Although it was recommended by a former waitress, I thought my entre was just okay - nothing special. However, my wife's boulibaise was much better, although not as quite as good as at some other places. The service was very good, but the restaurant got to be quite noisy before we left.Special Features:
- My Review of La FontaineMeFoodieDined on 10/18/2014This is the third time I've eaten at this restaurant. While my experience hasn't always been good, in this case both the food and service were excellent. I ordered the eggplant augratin appetizer and the steak frites entre (consisting of a good quality rib eye steak served with a mushroom sauce and very slender French fried potatoes). In addition, the service could not have been better!Special Features:
- Excellent food and serviceEhowesDined on 10/15/2014Service was excellent with no rushing and the food was excellent. Will go again. The only problem was trying to find a parking spot. Five minute walk from parking spot. (on a week day, Wednesday!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- service slow , food is great.foodcriticsDined on 10/1/2014we reserved for a party of 6 on tuesday evening, and the restaurant was half full. The appetitizer came pretty quick and it was very tasty。 We then order main dishes and we have waited for at least 45 mins for them to prepare. Meanwhile, we asked for more bread but they never got back to us. After little less than an hour, the food came, my corden bleu was a little overcooked, and the portion is a little small.Special Features:
- Lovely Sunday brunchNum2NumDined on 9/28/2014Enjoyed our brunch at La Fontaine very much. Delicious food and attentive service - perfect! Strongly recommend it to all.Special Features:
- Erratic Quality - Pleasant AmbienceBusinessDinerDined on 8/10/2014The outside dinning ambience was pleasant with good food presentation. My companion said the Chicken Paillard was tasty and hot when served. My short ribs were tender, seasoned nicely but barely warm, and the meat had an "off" taste - not quite freezer burn but old. This was a business meeting so I could not afford to appear finicky by sending the ribs back - so I ate bread. Only half the outside tables were occupied and the multiple servers were polite but it took two requests, and what felt like forever, to get the bread basket replenished. There are plenty of other restaurants on Castro Street so I do not plan to return and have let my friends know that while pleasant the quality was erratic so they might enjoy another restaurant better.Special Features:
- Nice French RestaurantSiyuDined on 8/8/2014I would say this is an authentic French restaurant. I and my friend enjoy the meal from the appetizer to dessert. Meanwhile, in the bar, two ladies laughed really loudly and continuously during our dinner, it was the most loud laughing I had never met. I didn't really mind, but I had to speak loudly to make the beautiful young lady facing on me hear well. So if you are looking for good foods, here is for you. If you want to have a romantic dinner, I won't recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, as alwaysrodcDined on 8/8/2014Another delightful meal, well-presented and thoroughly enjoyed!Special Features:
- The following 44 reviews are from the La Fontaine Restaurant reviews archive.
- Great food, great service!rodcDined on 7/11/2014my wife and I ate dinner here and we were shown immediately to our nice table. The servers were prompt and courteous, attentive to our every need. The menu had many intriguing items and we found the food to be very tasty! We will definitely be back soon! It also looked like there were plenty of items on the menu for the kids, so we'l bring them next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful intimate restaurantVictoriaDined on 6/29/2014I love this restaurant for lunch and dinner, whether it's a large dinner party, a work lunch, or a romantic dinner with my sweetie. The restaurant is small and intimate with attentive waiters (but they don't hover!) who are content for you to have a quick meal or a two hour dining experience--whatever you desire. Don't miss the goat cheese appetizer because it's spectacular!Special Features:
- Great Father's Day LunchKWlovefoodDined on 6/14/2014I wanted to have French-Italian food for my Father's Day lunch and found La Fontaine on Castro Street. The restaurant has been opened for about a year but there are only a couple of reviews about it. We found the bartender/waiter extremely friendly and helpful. He spoke with a lovely European accent and was attentive throughout our dining experience. We enjoyed our drinks and every dish we ordered especially the fantastic dessert choices. At the end, I was treated to a free glass of Cosmopolitan served in an artistic cocktail crystal to celebrate my Father's Day! My wife was happy to pay the bill which was quite reasonable considering the quality of the food and the wonderful service. I must go back for dinner soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChildrenOliverDined on 6/10/2014Out of control children. Management did nothing to stop the noise. Ruined for everyone else.
- Good OpportunitySWoodDined on 6/7/2014The food was OK, but nothing special. The staff were attentive. The location is great and the outdoor dining nice.Special Features:
- Fine selection and serviceJWalTDined on 6/1/2014We've dined at La Fontaine a few times in the past year, including New Year's Eve, and have always left satisfied. The wait staff is attentive without hovering. They provide excellent wine recommendations and the menu is diverse. Is it French or Italian? As they say, it's a fusion. They use an interesting combination of ingredients and unique sauces, pay attention to presentation, and, if you want it, a variety of pasta dishes. Portions are relatively generous. There's nothing unique about the dessert selection, but often decorated with fresh fruit and always tasty.Special Features:
- DrnotthatfussyDined on 5/31/2014From the review we expected a good, if not great dinner. Unfortunately, our entrees were below par. The ribs were fairly dry, and not tasty; the duck didn't have much flavor either. The profiteroles were good, though small. For a restaurant on Castro in Mt. View to be half-full Saturday night, we are not the only ones who think it's time for a new chef or a menu review.
- Great startWinstonDined on 5/23/2014This restaurant is relatively new and could use improvements in service and food. My seafood boulabaisse was lukewarm and bland. I had them reheat it in the microwave. The others in our party also thought their dishes were too bland. The service was great with drink ordèrs but slow after that. This can become a terric dining option with some minor adjustments.Special Features:
- LenoreDined on 5/22/2014Menu was quite varied. We had four people and we ordered different dishes. All were quite good. Staff was friendly and service was fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- too noisy this timeCarolynVIPDined on 5/14/2014I always enjoy La Fontaine, but for some reason this time, the music was playing at too loud of a volume and it was not easy to have an enjoyable conversation. I have not had this issue there beforeSpecial Features:
- Always wonderfulCarolynVIPDined on 5/2/2014When I have someone coming from out of town, I always impress them with the food and service here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place for quiet lunchMikeDined on 4/28/2014Had lunch with a friend at sidewalk tables outside restaurant. Very nice and good for conversation. Not hurried at all. Good service.Special Features:
- tapsDined on 4/27/2014We were a party of 10 on a Sunday night, our table was ready and wait staff were also. Service was prompt and unobtrusive. Food was very good, except one pasta dish was a bit dry. We brought our own wine for the main course, but did order a bottle to share before ordering. Corkage was a reasonable $15/bottle. We enjoyed dinner very much and will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French/Italian FusionGordonVIPDined on 4/25/2014This restaurant serves the best of what France and Italy have to offer. Definitely not your usual pasta place! The Salmon Wellington with beurre blanc sauce was innovative and satisfying; both my date and I enjoyed it. We shared the house salad with Italian olives and found it just the right prelude to the dinner.Special Features:
- Great Italian food in Mountain ViewmvdenizenDined on 4/18/2014If you've been waiting for a solidly decent Italian meal in Mountain View, La Fontaine is the answer to your prayers. Bread came first, and it was a great start. The olive oil had a nice blend of herbs and spices, surprisingly spicy. The cobb salad was fresh and vibrant, with sweet fresh tomatoes, crisp lettuce, and perfectly cooked bacon. The angel hair pasta was well-cooked and well-seasoned. I got mine with clams (instead of chicken or shrimp) and they were fresh and meaty. The sauce light yet flavorful. There was enough pasta for 2 meals. The gnocchi was perfectly cooked, with sauce that was super creamy. Drinks were well-made and delicious. Service was casual and delightful. We plan on making this a regular dinner spot.Special Features:
- Nice atmosphere, bland foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/12/2014It's a happy place, with decent service and an upbeat vibe. But the food is bland. I was looking forward to enjoying the salmon Wellington, but its looks far out-shined its taste. Likewise, the bruschetta of smoked salmon and artichoke sounded great, but was merely adequate (bread, cream cheese, a sliver of lox and a sliver of artichoke: that's NOT bruschetta...it should have olive oil & rubbed garlic, not cream cheese!). Dinner for two will easily cost over $100. For just a little bit more you can avail yourself of a truly upscale restaurant.
- Wonderful findbeeliaDined on 4/10/2014Great food, excellent service, quiet enough to have a long conversation. We will be back!Special Features:
- Always excellent food and serviceCarolynVIPDined on 4/7/2014It is nice to have a good ciOntinental restaurant in the heart of the ethnic area of Mountain View- food and service and wines excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average foodMarieHeleneVIPDined on 4/4/2014I have mix review about this place. Some dishes were average and some dishes were below average. Appetizers were good and the bouillabaisse was ok. However my husband had the veal cutlet . This dish was bad: the sauce was wrong and the veal was thin and no taste.Special Features:
- Delicious!ComfortFoodDined on 3/29/2014Carrot and potato soup was wonderful, and seabass was cooked perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Difficult to find Cordon Bleu, Yes!BfromCAVIPDined on 3/15/2014I love the Cordon Bleu which is difficult to find in the US. I like that the kitchen is so visible in the restaurant behind glass. On Saturday night, the live music was entertaining and created a nice atmosphere. Some reviewers were talking about the menu choices being traditional, I rather enjoy some real tasty classic preparations, Cordon Bleu being one of them. The service was impeccable and we will certainly come back, often :-).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.