La Fondue - Saratoga
14550 Big Basin Way
Saratoga, CA 95070Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
La Fondue - Saratoga
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lafondue.com/
- Phone: 4088673332x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:15pm, Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:15pm, Friday: 5:00pm - 10:15pm, Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:15pm
***Just Dessert Chocolate Fondue only is served (Sunday-Thursday) between 9:30 pm - 10:00 pm and (Friday-Saturday) 10:30 pm -11:00 pm on a first come first serve basis! (No reservations will be accepted=please walk in!).
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fondue, French, Swiss
- Executive Chef: Wine Director: M. Cutler
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, BYO Liquor, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: There is convenient public parking located behind La Fondue in the parking districts. Lafondue has a valet parking service located in front of the restaurant on Friday & Saturday Nights.
- Private Party Facilities: A special occasion warrants a special dining experience. Lafondue offers private dining for up to 12 guests and larger semi-private rooms for 20, 28 and 36 guests. All are ideal for special events. Or, if you would enjoy dining al fresco, take advantage of our 2 outdoor year round patios(heated and covered) with seating for 24 guests each. Each patio has 19th century reclaimed Provence Farmhouse tiles, Phillipe Starcke chairs and a wonderful Alpine setting!
- Private Party Contact: Manager 4088673332x
- Entertainment: Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday nights are BYOB (No corkage fee!). All other nights BYOB is $25 per 750 ml, including all holidays. We have two dog-friendly patios with doggy tie downs and complimentary filet mignon trimmings. Double burner tables are available for 5 or more persons.
- Special Events: Mon,Tues and Wed nights are BYOB (no corkage fee!-except holidays). Valentines Day and NY's Eve are special prix-fix packages. Closed: July 4, Thanksgiving and Christmas Nights.
A word from La Fondue - Saratoga
The NY Times editorial says "La Fondue is the place to go in the South Bay"! Consistently named the "Best Restaurant", "Best Special Occasion" and "Best Romantic Restaurant" in San Jose by the likes of The San Jose Mercury News,The Metro, The Silicon Valley Concierge Association, and The Wave Magazine. La Fondue brings quality service together with an eclectic chill vibe that caters to the "communal experience" we all crave. Nestled in the Saratoga foothills, Mitchell & Tracey Cutler founded La Fondue Restaurant in 1992 as a boutique dining environment. A kind of Alpine wonderland meets Beverly Hills/19th century Paris lounge kind of vibe. Colors of crushed crimson, gold and royal purples blend with champagne oak and European antiques. La Fondue specializes in international fondues. Come, celebrate a memorable evening!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
La Fondue - Saratoga - Best Restaurants in Saratoga ›
La Fondue - Saratoga reviews from OpenTable diners
298 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (253)romantic (228)fit for foodies (125)good for groups (85)neighborhood gem (63)late-night find (40)hot spot (26)notable wine list (25)kid-friendly (24)great for outdoor dining (11)great for brunch (7)scenic view (4)great for lunch (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Great food but not cheaploveFondueDined on 9/12/2014I have been frequenting this restaurant for the last 20 year, never a bad moment but I save it for special occasions as its a bit pricy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eating is an event at La fonduelivetoeatDined on 9/11/2014We had a great time at La Fondue. I say a great time as we were there almost 3 hours. The time spent was very enjoyable even with a 6 year old and her parents and grandparents. The service was just right; the 3 courses we ordered came at just the right times and spending an evening eating was just great fun for all 3 generations. The restaurant is a little dark for us older folks. Bring a small flashlight or your smart phone with a light to read the wine list and even some of the extensive menu. It is a bit expensive, but when you consider the cost/hour, it is a bargain.Special Features:
- Great food, service but......SpecialplaceDined on 9/10/2014Very noisy, hard to communicate with my wife across from. Food is wonderful, and Brad really took care of us. We will of course go again, but not as often if it were more intimate, and we were able to coomunicate.Special Features:
- Fun and differentAbalone8Dined on 9/9/2014The waiter was very knowledgeable but a bit fast with the words...but was polite as I had to get a word in.... Food was very tasty but was told I smelled like garlic the next day.....my fault.... :) Ordered a bottle of wine and waited 15 minutes or so and had to get another waiter to get the bottle for us.....he apologized....(our waiter) over all good but after $300 + for 2....it will be a while for us to go back..... Thanks, TomSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good experience!FeathertuscaderoDined on 9/8/2014The service quality of the food is unbeatable. The staff is always great. This place, in all the times I've gone there, has never been a let down in any way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- La Fondue Is a Neighborhood GemCameron228Dined on 9/7/2014I have been coming to La Fondue for nearly 25 years, yet it still rates consistently as not only a neighborhood gem, but as a the most romantic restaurant in the eclectically trendy Bay Area. With food such as cheese, veggie, meat, and chocolate fondue, this restaurant is sure to please foodies, kids, parents, and the romantics in all of us. My children were first introduced to fondue at age 1 1/2, with the caution that the pots were hot. My eldest son could say fondue before he could say "Mama". We still go to La a Fondue together for birthdays, and special occasions. Sometimes as many as 12 of us come in. La Fondue is worth the time, and we love them for being the most consistently wonderful experiences we've ever had.Special Features:
- Great time for allCraigDined on 9/7/2014We had a large party and had a great time! Service was a little slow but the food made up for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- serviceJake88Dined on 9/6/2014Our servers were awesome. Very sociable and knowledgeable. Upbeat attitude.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- niceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/6/2014Had a lovely time. Choices of food were very good. I appreciate that we were challenged to try new meats.Special Features:
- Delicious meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/5/2014The restaurant is gorgeous, the food is delicious and the wait staff is really nice. The prices have gone up quite a bit and it's hard to keep the total meal cost under $100 for 2 people. For me, this is a 1-2 times per year dining event.Special Features:
- Great for Special occasionsBucketlist2014Dined on 9/2/2014Purchased the "Fondue Experience" off of Living Social and it was worth every penny! Everyone should try this at least once. It allows you the oppty to try Every single meat, fish, chicken they offer and we got a bottle of wine with our meal. My boyfriend took me for my bday & it was awesome! Bon appetite!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice for a special occasionPWG1Dined on 8/31/2014Went there for my wife's birthday and we used a gift certificate we got as a wedding gift in 2002. Great service from the hosts to the service team. Checked up on us, but we're never hovering. Great place foe a special occasion.Special Features:
- Dimly lit romantic diningSouthbayMaxDined on 8/30/2014This restaurant has a very romantic ambiance. Lit only by four candles at each table, the dimly lit room encourages a quiet dining experience. My dinner included a salad, cheese fondue, exotic meats, and chocolate for dipping your favorite fruits and treats. I would definitely recommend this venue when you don't mind spending just over a hundred dollars a couple.Special Features:
- High Expectations-sad resultsHad2SayDined on 8/27/2014My husband and I went for our 11 year anniversary. We were expecting a romantic place where we could both just relax and enjoy each other's company. Turns out the cheese tasted bad- we tried too. The bread was cold, it was too dark and we talked more to the waiter than to each other because the waiter is so highly involved . We also found out we had to cook the meat ourselves! It was totally not what we expected needless to say we opted out of the cheese and meats and just had dessert. If we had gone just for dessert it would get 5 stars. The dessert was delicious, but it was still a wreck. I don't think we will ever be back there. It was too pricey , for food that had no love in it.Special Features:
- Wedding AnniversaryBooplovesBearDined on 8/24/2014This was our first time at La Fondue. We were celebrating our 23 years of marriage. What a wonderful place and very romantic. Our server was excellent and the food was great. I love the salad that we started with. Different than any other restaurant , was so good! The chocolate fondue was to die for!!!!! First time we ever cooked our dinner at our table, was an experience. We enjoyed. We left feeling very full and satisfiedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dipping stuff in cheese is goodelectrox3dDined on 8/23/2014dipping stuff in cheese is good. you get to dip it and ask for more and dip some more. you also get to dip stuff in chocolate. that's super good too. all super high quality cheese, stuff to dip, and chocolate.Special Features:
- Great ServicepeachmangoDined on 8/21/2014The food was very good. We, a table of 6, ordered a variety of meats. Some didn't please so many, others pleased all (pork). Clean and pleasant restrooms. Some remarked that the amount of chocolate in the dessert was smaller than other visits but after the few thousand calories we had in the other 3 courses, I guess they were doing us a favor as we had cleaned every dish and then polished off the chocolates. No one left hungry but everyone wanted to eat more, it's just that their stomachs wouldn't allow it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- special occasionsfredDined on 8/20/2014Took my daughter there for her 16th birthday....perfect placeSpecial Features:
- Pleasurable EveningGratefuldinerDined on 8/18/2014As returning diners, we were again delighted with the total experience. From the first welcoming words to the delivery of boxes of salad and desert to take home, we had a most pleasurable evening. This is a lovely place for a leisurely evening. And with no corkerage fee on Monday evening it becomes even more of a lovely yet not overly costly night outSpecial Features:
- Fun Place for Special OccasionjeangamDined on 8/17/2014We wen't back to celebrate 2 year anniversary. We ordered the Feast, it was a lot of food, but a good way to try a variety of meats (6). It is a bit noisy inside, if you want a quieter experience I would dine outside.Special Features:
- Stepping back in time to the 70'sstanfordprofDined on 8/17/2014I feel like I stepped back in time to the 70's with 70's decor, music and food. The service is okay but a bit too rehearsed for my taste. It's more performance than service. I would rather less talking from waiters so that I could talk with my friends. Really, fondue is not that difficult that we need long instructions. The fondu was fine. Loved the buffalo meat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unique dining experience.....letseat64Dined on 8/16/2014Always look forward to dining at La Fondue. Came with a friends from L.A. first time for one , third time visit for the other friend. They love the ambiance, decor , unique dining experience and most of all the chocolate dessert fondue!Special Features:
- disappointedfonduefanDined on 8/16/2014I have dined at La Fondue many times and always loved it. However, this time I was repeatedly disappointed. We choose the La Fondue combo option and wanted the fish swapped out. We said we were flexible with any beef/pork/lame option. However, when the meat appeared a repeat of one of the chicken options was on the plate and a sorry from the waiter. Paying $98 for mostly chicken did not feel like we got our money's worth for sure. I also have ordered the punch cooking method may times, this time it was like cooking in potpourri. The waiter was not very helpful in offering an alternative until we insisted. Several times during the meal we found it hard to get any server's attention.Special Features:
- NOT IMPRESSED!!!tigerlilyDined on 8/15/2014It was an overpriced gimmick!!! The menu was confusing. The drinks were overpriced. I got half of a glass of mediocre white wine for $13. The cheese fondue was ok, but the bread was stale. We had to cook our own food on a hot plate, that was only hot in the very middle. The dipping sauces for the meat likely came out of a jar. The chocolate desert fondue came with marshmallows, cookies, snicker bar, 1 piece of banana and one strawberry. For the price of the meal, we expected better quality food. My husband and I were celebrating our 21st wedding anniversary. We left there extremely disappointed. We will never go back.
- Great romantic date nightGreggersDined on 8/15/2014This is a wonderful restaurant for a romantic special occasion. The ambiance, service, and food are designed for an experience... Not just a meal. You will be doing some of your own cooking, and you will like it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always amazingAjdiazDined on 8/14/2014My wife and I come here for our anniversary and her birthday! We love and enjoy everything about La Fondue! We definately come back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the place was niceniceDined on 8/14/2014it mentioned it was a small place but it didn't seem small to me. My first time there, it was nice, I would go back for the cheese and chocolate only. The meats didn't impress me.Special Features:
- Good food, excellent service!CraigDined on 8/13/2014We love the food here and have been coming here for years! The service was amazing!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Time!vickynDined on 8/13/2014We had a great time. It was our first time at La Fondue. The food was wonderful. I was worried that they tell you to expect it to be a two hour experience that it was drag on too long, but I loved that we were able to eat slowly and take our time with the food. The food was wonderful. Absolutely loved the Stinky Rose Cheese Fondue, we had the surf and turf entrée. Again, wonderful! then came the chocolate dessert fondue. you can never go wrong with chocolate!! Todd was our main server and he was extremely knowledgeable and very helpful with food recommendations. I have Celiac Disease and have to eat gluten free. He was very attentive to that aspect and recommended the items that would be best for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/10/2014La Fondue is always an interesting place to dine. The full fondue meal takes at least 2 hours. The menu is a bit confusing due to all the options available and the menu layout. The food is great. Save room for dessert. The decor is eclectic. The gold handgun and assault riffle lamps seemed perhaps more appropriate for one of Saddam Hussein's palaces -- but I was told by the waiter that the decor changes periodically so maybe some of the tackier items wont survive. The noise level is good; there's background music and general clatter, but you can easily talk to everyone at your table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So much food!maw531Dined on 8/9/2014Come hungry or you will be uncomfortable! We had 5 in our group, we ordered two packages, everyone got salad, 2 cheese fondue, the pesto and 4 cheese, we ordered 2 plates of meat/fish choices, and then the choc fondue. Everything was delicious. I just wish we had ordered less.Special Features:
- Great Food, Service and Ambience OKFancyDined on 8/9/2014The service was fair with our main server being assisted by 3 other runners. Either our server was lazy and had one of the runners do most of his work or the runner was being trained, but either way, there was a lack of coordination. After a cocktail I ordered a beer from one of the runners, not sure when it came but it was placed on the far side of the table where I couldn't reach it. The salads came up and were just thrown down on the table and was immediately followed by the cheese fondue, creating a rushed atmosphere. The grill was brought out by one of the runners, then our server came out and looked a little horrified and took the grill away. For dessert the chocolate was mixed early and we waited nearly 10 more minutes for it to heatSpecial Features:
- My favorite restaurantshodoshanDined on 8/9/2014This place makes all other fondue restaurants pale in comparison. It has been my favorite restaurant for 13 years and will probably stay in that #1 spot as long as it's around. Each room of the restaurant is decorated slightly differently - all with panache and flair. The food is unbelievably delicious, and just try to walk out of there without a stomach ache from eating too much - I bet you can't do it. Even the salads are to die for, with their lemon tarragon dressing being the only salad dressing I've ever liked. You can't go wrong with La Fondue. It's perfect for dates, celebrations, and small groups. Don't even try to go there with more than 8 people though - it's horrid for big groups.Special Features:
- Normally greatAussieinusaDined on 8/8/2014I'm often a huge fan of La Fondue, I came for my birthday and whenever we have visitors in town we usually take them here. However this particular time was not so great. They didn't have the table ready for the time we requested - the waiter introduced himself but then never came back until the end - he seemed a little out of it as well. Overall the food was delicious however the service was just not up to standard this time.Special Features:
- Not at all what we expectedEric318Dined on 8/8/2014Reading the raving reviews (awards for most romantic place in the world, best French restaurant, etc.), this place sounded totally ideal for a super romantic, classy and unusual dinner date. It turned out to be a rather average, yet slightly unusual joint, but no way near anything the reviews lead to expect. The good: nice fondue. some of the decor The not so good: tables too wide for a romantic date, the salads very average, the ... guns, the ... spiderweb (yep, right there next to us), the waitress taking our bottles of champagne away before we had finished them off. The way off expectations: this is NOT a super romantic place for an unusual date. The family with kids jumping up and down the sofas at the entrance clearly gave that away.Special Features:
- Birthday celebrationSherbearDined on 8/7/2014La Fondue is the perfect place for a special occasion. A little pricey but worth the splurge once in a while. The service was outstanding, and my son had a ball trying some exotic meats. A great time was had by all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bland fondue,despite creative namesHckolbVIPDined on 8/7/2014The fondue was surprisingly bland. Given the creative titles for the dishes (e.g. "stinky rose", suggesting lots of garlic), we ended up eating a "soup" of liquid cheese, prepared for us at the table, that tasted really like nothing. We cannot recommend this to fondue lovers. The ambience and service were good.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/6/2014Everything was outstanding. I would have liked: * salt on the table * better lightingSpecial Features:
- la fondue has changedLiyndaLDined on 8/6/2014Loved to dine here for special occasions. Recently we took the kids and grandparents, a party of seven. Ordered three combinations, drinks and had a bill close to $1000.00. Since we were seven, they could only fill one of the pots of the cheese and chocolate 3/4 of the way. Rediculous. Even the full pot was not full. Not sure if it's worth the $$ any longer.
- Terrific!ez2pleaseDined on 8/3/2014La Fondue is one of our favorite restaurants. We always cocktail and dine here when headed to the Mountain Winery for a concert. Terrific as usual!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.