La Fondue - Saratoga
14550 Big Basin Way
Saratoga, CA 95070Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
La Fondue - Saratoga
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lafondue.com/
- Phone: 4088673332x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:15pm, Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:15pm, Friday: 5:00pm - 10:15pm, Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:15pm
***Just Dessert Chocolate Fondue only is served (Sunday-Thursday) between 9:30 pm - 10:00 pm and (Friday-Saturday) 10:30 pm -11:00 pm on a first come first serve basis! (No reservations will be accepted=please walk in!).
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fondue, French, Swiss
- Executive Chef: Wine Director: M. Cutler
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, BYO Liquor, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: There is convenient public parking located behind La Fondue in the parking districts. Lafondue has a valet parking service located in front of the restaurant on Friday & Saturday Nights.
- Private Party Facilities: A special occasion warrants a special dining experience. Lafondue offers private dining for up to 12 guests and larger semi-private rooms for 20, 28 and 36 guests. All are ideal for special events. Or, if you would enjoy dining al fresco, take advantage of our 2 outdoor year round patios(heated and covered) with seating for 24 guests each. Each patio has 19th century reclaimed Provence Farmhouse tiles, Phillipe Starcke chairs and a wonderful Alpine setting!
- Private Party Contact: Manager 4088673332x
- Entertainment: Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday nights are BYOB (No corkage fee!). All other nights BYOB is $25 per 750 ml, including all holidays. We have two dog-friendly patios with doggy tie downs and complimentary filet mignon trimmings. Double burner tables are available for 5 or more persons.
- Special Events: Mon,Tues and Wed nights are BYOB (no corkage fee!-except holidays). Valentines Day and NY's Eve are special prix-fix packages. Closed: July 4, Thanksgiving and Christmas Nights.
A word from La Fondue - Saratoga
The NY Times editorial says "La Fondue is the place to go in the South Bay"! Consistently named the "Best Restaurant", "Best Special Occasion" and "Best Romantic Restaurant" in San Jose by the likes of The San Jose Mercury News,The Metro, The Silicon Valley Concierge Association, and The Wave Magazine. La Fondue brings quality service together with an eclectic chill vibe that caters to the "communal experience" we all crave. Nestled in the Saratoga foothills, Mitchell & Tracey Cutler founded La Fondue Restaurant in 1992 as a boutique dining environment. A kind of Alpine wonderland meets Beverly Hills/19th century Paris lounge kind of vibe. Colors of crushed crimson, gold and royal purples blend with champagne oak and European antiques. La Fondue specializes in international fondues. Come, celebrate a memorable evening!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
La Fondue - Saratoga - Best Restaurants in Saratoga ›
La Fondue - Saratoga reviews from OpenTable diners
312 reviews since April 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (266)romantic (241)fit for foodies (128)good for groups (86)neighborhood gem (57)late-night find (43)notable wine list (31)hot spot (29)kid-friendly (25)great for outdoor dining (11)great for brunch (8)scenic view (3)vibrant bar scene (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Pleasurable EveningGratefuldinerDined on 8/18/2014As returning diners, we were again delighted with the total experience. From the first welcoming words to the delivery of boxes of salad and desert to take home, we had a most pleasurable evening. This is a lovely place for a leisurely evening. And with no corkerage fee on Monday evening it becomes even more of a lovely yet not overly costly night outSpecial Features:
- Fun Place for Special OccasionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014We wen't back to celebrate 2 year anniversary. We ordered the Feast, it was a lot of food, but a good way to try a variety of meats (6). It is a bit noisy inside, if you want a quieter experience I would dine outside.Special Features:
- Stepping back in time to the 70'sstanfordprofDined on 8/17/2014I feel like I stepped back in time to the 70's with 70's decor, music and food. The service is okay but a bit too rehearsed for my taste. It's more performance than service. I would rather less talking from waiters so that I could talk with my friends. Really, fondue is not that difficult that we need long instructions. The fondu was fine. Loved the buffalo meat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unique dining experience.....OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/16/2014Always look forward to dining at La Fondue. Came with a friends from L.A. first time for one , third time visit for the other friend. They love the ambiance, decor , unique dining experience and most of all the chocolate dessert fondue!Special Features:
- disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014I have dined at La Fondue many times and always loved it. However, this time I was repeatedly disappointed. We choose the La Fondue combo option and wanted the fish swapped out. We said we were flexible with any beef/pork/lame option. However, when the meat appeared a repeat of one of the chicken options was on the plate and a sorry from the waiter. Paying $98 for mostly chicken did not feel like we got our money's worth for sure. I also have ordered the punch cooking method may times, this time it was like cooking in potpourri. The waiter was not very helpful in offering an alternative until we insisted. Several times during the meal we found it hard to get any server's attention.Special Features:
- NOT IMPRESSED!!!tigerlilyDined on 8/15/2014It was an overpriced gimmick!!! The menu was confusing. The drinks were overpriced. I got half of a glass of mediocre white wine for $13. The cheese fondue was ok, but the bread was stale. We had to cook our own food on a hot plate, that was only hot in the very middle. The dipping sauces for the meat likely came out of a jar. The chocolate desert fondue came with marshmallows, cookies, snicker bar, 1 piece of banana and one strawberry. For the price of the meal, we expected better quality food. My husband and I were celebrating our 21st wedding anniversary. We left there extremely disappointed. We will never go back.
- Great romantic date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/15/2014This is a wonderful restaurant for a romantic special occasion. The ambiance, service, and food are designed for an experience... Not just a meal. You will be doing some of your own cooking, and you will like it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always amazingAjdiazDined on 8/14/2014My wife and I come here for our anniversary and her birthday! We love and enjoy everything about La Fondue! We definately come back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the place was niceniceDined on 8/14/2014it mentioned it was a small place but it didn't seem small to me. My first time there, it was nice, I would go back for the cheese and chocolate only. The meats didn't impress me.Special Features:
- Good food, excellent service!CraigDined on 8/13/2014We love the food here and have been coming here for years! The service was amazing!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Time!vickynDined on 8/13/2014We had a great time. It was our first time at La Fondue. The food was wonderful. I was worried that they tell you to expect it to be a two hour experience that it was drag on too long, but I loved that we were able to eat slowly and take our time with the food. The food was wonderful. Absolutely loved the Stinky Rose Cheese Fondue, we had the surf and turf entrée. Again, wonderful! then came the chocolate dessert fondue. you can never go wrong with chocolate!! Todd was our main server and he was extremely knowledgeable and very helpful with food recommendations. I have Celiac Disease and have to eat gluten free. He was very attentive to that aspect and recommended the items that would be best for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/10/2014La Fondue is always an interesting place to dine. The full fondue meal takes at least 2 hours. The menu is a bit confusing due to all the options available and the menu layout. The food is great. Save room for dessert. The decor is eclectic. The gold handgun and assault riffle lamps seemed perhaps more appropriate for one of Saddam Hussein's palaces -- but I was told by the waiter that the decor changes periodically so maybe some of the tackier items wont survive. The noise level is good; there's background music and general clatter, but you can easily talk to everyone at your table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So much food!maw531Dined on 8/9/2014Come hungry or you will be uncomfortable! We had 5 in our group, we ordered two packages, everyone got salad, 2 cheese fondue, the pesto and 4 cheese, we ordered 2 plates of meat/fish choices, and then the choc fondue. Everything was delicious. I just wish we had ordered less.Special Features:
- Great Food, Service and Ambience OKFancyDined on 8/9/2014The service was fair with our main server being assisted by 3 other runners. Either our server was lazy and had one of the runners do most of his work or the runner was being trained, but either way, there was a lack of coordination. After a cocktail I ordered a beer from one of the runners, not sure when it came but it was placed on the far side of the table where I couldn't reach it. The salads came up and were just thrown down on the table and was immediately followed by the cheese fondue, creating a rushed atmosphere. The grill was brought out by one of the runners, then our server came out and looked a little horrified and took the grill away. For dessert the chocolate was mixed early and we waited nearly 10 more minutes for it to heatSpecial Features:
- My favorite restaurantshodoshanDined on 8/9/2014This place makes all other fondue restaurants pale in comparison. It has been my favorite restaurant for 13 years and will probably stay in that #1 spot as long as it's around. Each room of the restaurant is decorated slightly differently - all with panache and flair. The food is unbelievably delicious, and just try to walk out of there without a stomach ache from eating too much - I bet you can't do it. Even the salads are to die for, with their lemon tarragon dressing being the only salad dressing I've ever liked. You can't go wrong with La Fondue. It's perfect for dates, celebrations, and small groups. Don't even try to go there with more than 8 people though - it's horrid for big groups.Special Features:
- Normally greatAussieinusaDined on 8/8/2014I'm often a huge fan of La Fondue, I came for my birthday and whenever we have visitors in town we usually take them here. However this particular time was not so great. They didn't have the table ready for the time we requested - the waiter introduced himself but then never came back until the end - he seemed a little out of it as well. Overall the food was delicious however the service was just not up to standard this time.Special Features:
- Not at all what we expectedEric318Dined on 8/8/2014Reading the raving reviews (awards for most romantic place in the world, best French restaurant, etc.), this place sounded totally ideal for a super romantic, classy and unusual dinner date. It turned out to be a rather average, yet slightly unusual joint, but no way near anything the reviews lead to expect. The good: nice fondue. some of the decor The not so good: tables too wide for a romantic date, the salads very average, the ... guns, the ... spiderweb (yep, right there next to us), the waitress taking our bottles of champagne away before we had finished them off. The way off expectations: this is NOT a super romantic place for an unusual date. The family with kids jumping up and down the sofas at the entrance clearly gave that away.Special Features:
- Birthday celebrationSherbearDined on 8/7/2014La Fondue is the perfect place for a special occasion. A little pricey but worth the splurge once in a while. The service was outstanding, and my son had a ball trying some exotic meats. A great time was had by all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bland fondue,despite creative namesHckolbVIPDined on 8/7/2014The fondue was surprisingly bland. Given the creative titles for the dishes (e.g. "stinky rose", suggesting lots of garlic), we ended up eating a "soup" of liquid cheese, prepared for us at the table, that tasted really like nothing. We cannot recommend this to fondue lovers. The ambience and service were good.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/6/2014Everything was outstanding. I would have liked: * salt on the table * better lightingSpecial Features:
- la fondue has changedLiyndaLDined on 8/6/2014Loved to dine here for special occasions. Recently we took the kids and grandparents, a party of seven. Ordered three combinations, drinks and had a bill close to $1000.00. Since we were seven, they could only fill one of the pots of the cheese and chocolate 3/4 of the way. Rediculous. Even the full pot was not full. Not sure if it's worth the $$ any longer.
- Terrific!ez2pleaseDined on 8/3/2014La Fondue is one of our favorite restaurants. We always cocktail and dine here when headed to the Mountain Winery for a concert. Terrific as usual!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellenthappydogDined on 8/2/2014Always a favorite. Superb food and service! Fun restaurant for romance or small group fun!Special Features:
- 1st wedding anniversaryMrsHDined on 8/1/2014We had an amazing time here for our first anniversary. Our server, Brandon was great! Very nice staff, great food and drinks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/30/2014Our service Matt was impeccable! He was knowledgeable and made great recommendations to us. Food as always was delicious!
- Gone downhill!!!xmaseveVIPDined on 7/30/2014I have been going here for years and have seen many managers come and go. The current managers is one of the most inept, rude ones I have come across. I will not be going until he is replaced. The menu has changed and the portions have shrunk. These very odd salads are forced upon you with the cheese fondue. The price has gone up from $38 to $50 and portions have shrunk. They servers seem frustrated and dippers are slow to come (intentionally). They now limit extra desert dippers to 4 per pot of chocolate. When we complained to the manager that things have changed, he told us that each pot of chocolate was meant for 2 people and we had 3 people to a pot. It's a pity! Used to love this place and the staff.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/30/2014A very different dining experience. Quite fun! But a little too dark and a lot too chilly.Special Features:
- Birthday treatFoodie4VIPDined on 7/28/2014This place is expensive so we reserve it for special occasions. The cheese fondues are my favorite part of the meal. Funky decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Bday celebrationsCydsterDined on 7/27/2014My friend wanted La Fondue for her birthday dinner and she should it was going to just be 2-3 of us going. I was able to round up a few people and surprise her with a birthday dinner with 7 other people. Half the group had been there before and half had never heard of the place. The newbies were very lost in the beginning and there was a little fear in their eyes. Our servers helped them feel comfortable and explain the process. The table was tight for a group of 8 (I think the table is meant for 6) but we are a close group so that was not a problem. We were all close to the food. Great cocktails ( loved the French Pear martini!) and a good wine list. It is a place I love to go too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeEatmgirlDined on 7/26/2014I have been going here for 5 years and love it every time. The service is great and the atmosphere is amazing!!! Go here if you can!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ShyGirlDined on 7/25/2014Jeff, our server, was friendly and awesome. He helped us get settled into a lovely booth in the back room and explained the process of ordering the 4 course meal. He gave us top notch service and even took the time to take a very nice photo of us (at my request), as it was a special occassion. My boyfriend, who can be very particular about food quality, loved this place! Thank you for making the evening so special. Well worth the money spent.Special Features:
- My fave place for fondue, but $$$$$birthdaygirlDined on 7/24/2014This is my favorite place to go for my birthday. Haven't been there since they changed their menu and raised their prices. We were in sticker shock after we opened our menus and ordered less than we normally do. It's a little too dark and noisy (my dad had to shut off his hearing aids), but the fondue is still quite good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- just plain fun!metalmaxDined on 7/23/2014Nice place for a date. Be prepared to eat.... As in a LOT! There's a lot to choose from on the menu, it can be daunting- but the staff does an excellent job helping explain.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre Concert Dining @ La FondueOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/23/2014Incredible assortment of foods and a fun experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top of the List!TrinityB13Dined on 7/22/2014This is one of my most favorite places. I enjoy every time like it was the first time also! We frequently done with Stephanie who's service is such caring quality! We have come to enjoy her just as much!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- La Fondue a Neighborhood TreasureCameron228Dined on 7/22/2014I have been going to La Fondue since it opened some 21 years ago. Together we've taught friends and family about the joys of truly amazing food, ambiance, and yes, love. My children have grown up there, and now take their dates to La Fondue. Menu changes are infrequent but always positive. Service is world class. Food is outstanding. Mitch and Tracy Cutler have truly made magic here. I would enthusiastically recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for my groupWorkinggirlsDined on 7/21/2014I came for a work dinner and it was very fun to make the food with my co- workers. It was a way to bond and have great conversation. Cheese was all of our favorites.Special Features:
- Disappointing2peoplesopinionDined on 7/20/2014Service: Terrible...yes, we got the waiter like others who stacked our dishes a foot off our table top and came back and cleared them twenty minutes later. He never checked back with us after bringing our courses. Fortunately the waiter from the adjacent table helped us. Food: Salad Ok (C)Cheese fondue good (B); Meat fondue poor as most of the meat tasted the same (D). One good sauce out of the six (D+). Chocolate Dessert fondue very good (B+). Price: Insanely high. Odd none of the myriad of positive reviews mentioned the price. The many positive reviews on yelp are baffling. I can only surmise that the people who wrote them are quite happy to pay a huge amount of money to a restaurant for the opportunity of cooking their own food.
- Excellent mealtiggerrooDined on 7/20/2014We enjoyed our anniversary dinner here with a special we purchased from Living Social. This included all three courses and the meat course included everything on the menu. We had so much food, we ended up taking about half of it home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable dining experienceVGDinerDined on 7/19/2014I absolutely adore the food here. The pesto cognac cheese fondue is my favorite . . . it's very flavorful and creamy. The spinach salad is superb, and I like to nibble on it throughout the meal. For the meat portion, I don't love having to cook my own food, but my friend was happy to do the grilling, so that worked out fine. If you don't love cooking, order the smallest amount of meat possible. For dessert, I had the milk chocolate with Frangelico. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM! (A word to the wise . . . if you don't like lasers and techno music, avoid the techno room.)Special Features: