La Fonda on Main
2415 N. Main Ave
San Antonio, TX 78212Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
La Fonda on Main
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.lafondaonmain.com/
- Phone: 2107330621x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily (Monday - Saturday): 11:00am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 3:00pm - 10:30pm
Brunch: Sunday: 10:30am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Traditional Mexican, Mexican
- Executive Chef: Victor Maldonado
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from La Fonda on Main
Located just a few minutes from downtown in architecturally rich Monte Vista, La Fonda on Main is the oldest Mexican food restaurant in San Antonio. La Fonda serves both the best of Tex-Mex cuisine as well as authentic dishes of interior Mexico in a fun and casual setting with beautiful patio dining. Open daily serving lunch and dinner as well as a memorable Sunday brunch menu, we offer a full bar with a wide variety of liquor, beer and wine. Our famous margaritas are made with hand-squeezed limes and your choice of a large selection of tequilas.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
La Fonda on Main - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
La Fonda on Main reviews from OpenTable diners
139 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (108)neighborhood gem (99)special occasion (67)great for lunch (65)fit for foodies (58)great for brunch (54)good for groups (48)romantic (44)kid-friendly (36)scenic view (25)hot spot (17)late-night find (5)notable wine list (3)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/30/2014Brought a group of 9 people for a wonderful dinner outside on the patio. Great food and service. Will be sure to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top 5 Mex in SAdiningdivaDined on 8/30/2014Consistently great Mex in San Antonio. Wonderful innovative menu choices, and excellent Tex Mex as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Drove here...AlwxiDined on 8/30/2014We drove from Austin just to eat here. It's one of our favorites, and the pork in mole is so delicious. The patio is beautiful on a pleasant evening, and the wait staff was prompt and good.Special Features:
- Fitting CelebratingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014My daughter and I celebrated her move to San Antonio with a wonderful supper at La Fonda. The beauty of the setting, natural and easy camaraderie of the servers, inventive and delicious cuisine made this truly memorable. Thank You!Special Features:
- Better Tex MexJazzerciseMomVIPDined on 8/29/2014La Fonda on Main is a cut above the usual Tex Mex with interesting specials and friendly, fast service. They do a brisk business but you don't feel rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid meal and serviceCariAnnDined on 8/23/2014Great appetizers and fish tacos. My daughter hurt herself in the parking lot and the staff was extremely nice and brought her ice, and checked on her several times. Thanks La Fonda!Special Features:
- TastyTexanExpatDined on 8/19/2014Great Mexican food in a historic neighborhood. Lots of space in the shady patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nxr1nxr1Dined on 8/13/2014We all enjoyed our entrees, shrimp, duck tacos & spinach enchiladas. Busy on a Wednesday night. Server friendly & informed. We had a very nice relaxed dinner. This is one of my favorite neighborhood places. I am glad they updated they menu. I will be back.Special Features:
- UpscaleOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/11/2014Not kid friendly on food but everything else was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 8/10/2014What a great place. Always excellent food with the Lawton familySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time at La FondaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014The chips/salsa/queso were AMAZING, truly the best queso I have ever had. But I must say, I was underwhelmed with the main course food quality. I ordered the fish tacos and the fish tasted like chemicals... The corn tortillas were honestly the best part. My fiance enjoyed the "Notalotta" plate but was underwhelmed too, the rice was very dry and the beans had a strange taste. Our friends loved their steak fajitas but also ordered the special - the filet - and the accompaniment was bland and forgettable. The service was stellar and we LOVED our server! We were very excited to try somewhere new but I believe we'd only consider coming back for the back patio and your queso.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellence "On Main"gr8diningonmainstDined on 8/8/2014La Fonda on Main is one of our favorites in San Antonio. The menu offers something for everyone, even those with the most discriminating tastes. The chicken and beef are of the highest quality. Beef is like Prime Tenderloin, not the usual skirt steak used at so many places. Chicken breast could be cut with a fork. Nightly specials are culinary delights with great presentation. The chef creates new desserts that are divine, but don't stay around very long. PLEASE bring back the orange flan!!!! Overall, one can't miss when choosing La Fonda on Main.Special Features:
- First timers loved it here!love2dineDined on 8/8/2014We found a positive review online and decided to visit. We loved it a lot. Great menu selections. Wonderful service and atmosphere. We'd love to come when it not "summertime hot" in San Antonio, and try dining outdoors. Food was delicious and we tried some new dishes too. You will enjoy this place. We thought it was reasonably priced as well.Special Features:
- Convenient!longtimecustomerDined on 8/8/2014The on-line reservations were quick, convenient and accurate. We walked in and were seated immediately. Had a great waiter, and, as usual, the food was superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Mexican FoodTexasBornDined on 8/8/2014Texas born and bred, so I know my mexican food. I can heartily recommend this place for a little bit more of an upscale mexican food experience. The queso is excellent, very rich golden cheese with peppers and such in it. Chips are a bit thick but homemade and really good, as is the red sauce. Fajitas were flavorful, tacos with pork were awesome, stuffed poblano excellent, cheese enchiladas wonderful. Everything my table had was a winner. We ended with the flan which was best ever tasted, according to my father-in-law, who spent most of his life in the Rio Grande valley. If you're looking for Tex-MEx that's been elevated a little, given some gourmet touches, and a fun atmosphere - pick this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nicejdkjtDined on 8/3/2014Quite pace for an early brunch, we enjoyed the food and service as usual!Special Features:
- TastyRoyTDined on 8/2/2014As expected, La Fonda did not disappoint. Service was excellent. The food was tasty.Special Features:
- Our Favorite Mexican Restaurant...Guido0815Dined on 7/26/2014...In San Antonio...and that says it all. They offer Tex-Mex fare, but also traditional Mexican dishes. Then they experiment with some unique flavor combinations that rock the palate. We love it all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a treat!RetiredDined on 7/25/2014My Enchiladas de Espinacas and the La Fonda salad (beets, candied walnuts, goat cheese) and my husband's fish Especialidades - A La Playa were together a lovely dinner! Of course, we started with a traditional margarita to take the heat out of the summer evening. I was a little skeptical about eating on the patio, but we joined the other folks who were outside and found the many fans hidden in the trees created a lovely breeze and we were very comfortable! La Fonda is a dining spot to share with a special someone, or with a group of friends...and I really like eating outside on the patio!Special Features:
- ExcellentSherryDined on 7/13/2014I saw great reviews, but the taxi was worth the food! I heard this is the place for brunch. Their Sunday Meal was amazing. The eggs with queso were the best I have ever had. The bacon was a little spicy but good. The Mexican french toast--To die for! I recommend this place. I have been here for a few days and have yet to enjoy a meal up to par with this restaurant.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/12/2014Excellent food and service. Very interesting menu, not just TexMex.Special Features:
- Not to misskiki2mylovesDined on 7/11/2014We live 3 hours away and will always eat here when in San Antonio. In fact, if we are even traveling through San Antonio we always try to stop in for lunch. In other words, if you are close, you always need to stop in! The service and food are top notch.Special Features:
- DisappointedDinnerfor2Dined on 7/8/2014Took my wife for her birthday and was a little disappointed. Food was okay, but nothing special. Tried to eat in the patio which is much quieter than inside the restaurant but weather forced us inside. The noise level was high and tables were close together which made it difficult to carry on a quiet conversation. Our server was somewhat inattentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner ReviewNihonDinerDined on 7/5/2014The dining experience was good. Reservations were ready, wait staff was knowledgeable and efficient, food was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YUMMM and service tooNicknameDined on 7/5/2014We can be picky eaters. No problem. We can be foodies too - they deliver!. We like a nice table. Got it. This is 2nd time eating here; loved it so much during our visit to San Antonio last year, we came back. GREAT GEM!!!!Special Features:
- 4th of July Visit to SAYon57VIPDined on 7/3/2014A friend recommended that any visit to San Antonio include a meal at La Fonda because it its where the locals go for their Tex-Mex. Requests made through Open Table were accommodated; round table as we were a party of 6, not in the center of the noisy part of the restaurant so we could easily visit & 3 separate bills. The server was a little pushy with wanting our drink orders as soon as we were seated before we had even seen the menu (maybe locals already know the drink menu) or were served ice water & tortilla chips/salsa & also disappeared for extended periods during our meal. The food was good, served hot, big portions. Would enjoy sitting on the lovely patio on another visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/1/2014Great mexican food, very good waiter Caleb who explained what was in each plate. Beautiful outdoor patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch the Mexican WayHenryVIPDined on 6/29/2014We go to Sunday Brunch at La Fonda whenever the opportunity presents itself. We recommend that you do to. The menu offers a long list of brunch items, all inspired by Mexican or Tex-Mex cuisine. Many are old standards, but the most interesting are specials that change from week to week. This week, I settled on pancakes with banana cream nestled by a mound of scrambled eggs and bacon. The ensemble was amazing. My wife had a classic Mexican plate featuring a cheese enchilada. Equally good.Special Features:
- Loved ItBigRobDined on 6/28/2014Definitely a great place to enjoy dinner with your loved one and/or friends. Margaritas were to die for. Can't go wrong with this on. Great food, great service and definitely a place I will visit next time in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loved!guymelchanDined on 6/24/2014this was the perfect place for us! the food and atmosphere and service were all great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DELISH and charmingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/24/2014Always exceeds expectations and the food is perfectSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great evening outSavacationersDined on 6/24/2014We were in town on vacation. Went there for dinner. One on our party was vegetarian. All left happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale Tex-MexCherVIPDined on 6/23/2014Not your usual Tex-Mex, when a taco, an enchilada, and rice plate sets you back $13. To be fair, our fajita taco plate was delicious, with plenty of medium rare meat as requested, although the guacamole wasn't pleasing (so no complaints on the skimpy portion). The salad leaves also did not taste pleasant, but the onions, peppers, and corn tortillas (my friend had flour) were very good. The table chips were HEAVEN and so was the salsa. Our waiter said yes to whatever we asked, even when it was the wrong answer (i.e. are the shrimp in the tacos grilled? YES). Nice ambience and decor. Which you pay for. Show-off to visitors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favoriteTonyGDined on 6/22/2014The food is excellent, the inside dining is comfortable and relatively quiet, and the outdoor courtyard is charming. Our latest trip was for their Sunday brunch. I had their "Sunday Breakfast" which included a petite tenderloin, bacon, queso scrambled eggs and "Mexican-French" toast. The petite steak was cooked to order, the scrambled eggs were not too runny and the bacon was thick slices with a smokey flavor. My companion had their "Steak and Migas", which had tender steak strips along with scrambled eggs, tomato, onion, jalepeno, tortilla strips and queso fresco. All was very good. We highly recommend La Fonda on Main whether it be for dinner, lunch or Sunday brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BrunchjdkjtDined on 6/22/2014Nice surprise, as our first brunch. The dinner rolls were great, and when I still asked for salsa and chips they smiled! Entree was catch of the day, and it was excellent and well presentedSpecial Features:
- Missed apetizerTejawatersDined on 6/21/2014Everything was fine except for the waitress forgetting the appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Neighborhood DiningBruceDined on 6/20/2014Had not been back to La Fonda in year or so. No excuse. Food very good, margaritas terrific. Bit noisy, but it was Friday night and several groups waiting for space. Definitely use Open Table and get a reservation ahead. Fun to be back ... won't wait so long next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- charming patio, great foodAustinLizDined on 6/15/2014La Fonda on Main has a lovely patio and excellent Mexican food that reminded me more of the Mexican food I ate at nice restaurants in Guadalajara than of typical Tex-Mex food. The duck tacos are particularly outstanding, as were the nopales (cactus) salad and the chocolate flan. The waitress was kind to my 6 year old daughter and knew the menu well enough to make good recommendations for all of us. My husband and I also enjoyed the margaritas.Special Features:
- The Perfect Sunday BrunchBeccalynDined on 6/15/2014The food and service here is always great. My family has been coming here for years. It was our regular Friday night ritual until my mother died. They greet us like family, and serve yummy food any mom would be proud of. My husband, who grew up in Mexico City, comes here for the authentic and imaginative dishes. The Egg Benedictos at Sunday Brunch is addicting! They use gorditas instead of a muffin like Eggs Benedict, and now I can't have them any other way. And the Bloody Mary's . . . yummmmm. Beautiful outdoor patio, with fans to keep things cool.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Father's Day BrunchTaco57Dined on 6/15/2014The food was excellent but the service was slow. They could have used some additional staff to refill chips, drinks while we were waiting for our meal to be served. I made a reservation for 12:45 and we were not seated until 1:05. There was a table available while we were waiting and when I asked if we could have that table I was told it was reserved for a larger party. La Fonda has great food but they need to be more organized and more attentive to their customers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.