La Fonda on Main
2415 N. Main Ave
San Antonio, TX 78212Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
La Fonda on Main
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.lafondaonmain.com/
- Phone: 2107330621x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily (Monday - Saturday): 11:00am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 3:00pm - 10:30pm
Brunch: Sunday: 10:30am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Traditional Mexican, Mexican
- Executive Chef: Victor Maldonado
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from La Fonda on Main
Located just a few minutes from downtown in architecturally rich Monte Vista, La Fonda on Main is the oldest Mexican food restaurant in San Antonio. La Fonda serves both the best of Tex-Mex cuisine as well as authentic dishes of interior Mexico in a fun and casual setting with beautiful patio dining. Open daily serving lunch and dinner as well as a memorable Sunday brunch menu, we offer a full bar with a wide variety of liquor, beer and wine. Our famous margaritas are made with hand-squeezed limes and your choice of a large selection of tequilas.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
La Fonda on Main - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
La Fonda on Main reviews from OpenTable diners
131 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (100)neighborhood gem (94)special occasion (62)good for groups (54)fit for foodies (54)great for lunch (53)great for brunch (46)romantic (45)kid-friendly (30)scenic view (22)hot spot (12)late-night find (3)notable wine list (3)Show More
- Great LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014Our first time here and we really enjoyed the food and atmosphere was good. Nice view of patio area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014The food was delicious and despite being a busy friday evening, we were seated promptly and the food arrived within a reasonable amount of time.Special Features:
- La FondaJudespDined on 9/15/2014This is a great place. When you walk up to a restaurant on a Monday at 1:30 p.m. and there is a line, you know something is right. Food was terrific and service was as well. We will definitely be back. Fish tacos were first rate.Special Features:
- Wonderful evening in San AntonioTleeeeeDined on 9/14/2014We just loved this place. The atmosphere is fabulous, the architecture is special and the food and service was excellent. Diverse menu with fair prices and a beautiful courtyard. Our waiter Zeke was very professional and knowledgeable about the menu and how to serve. I enjoyed a chorizo and potato soup and the house salad and my husband ordered and loved "The Old # 7" We also had a fried cheese plate that was neither greasy nor breaded. The dipping sauce that went with it was delicious. Great margaritas and art on the walls. Comfortablke chairs and tables and plenty of free parking in a lot across the street.Special Features:
- Muy Bueno!FoodieQueenDined on 9/14/2014We fell in love with this restaurant! Great food and service. Their chicken enchiladas with mole sauce is fabulous, as well as the prickly pear margaritas.Special Features:
- SadinerDined on 9/14/2014Incredible Sunday Brunch on their gorgeous patio! Diverse choices and just wonderful, flavorful food! Dine there all of the time, but first time for brunch - just delicious!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jamieSATXDined on 9/12/2014Wonderful server and great food -- everything was wonderful except for our arrival. We made a reservation on Open Table at 7:25 pm for a table at 7:45 pm. When we arrived, I said "we just made a reservation on Open Table." The host responded that we should never say that, because when we say that we **just** made a reservation, they can put us to the back of the line and not honor the reservation. That seems like such a bizarre business practice. Why allow people to make reservations if when you show up, you threaten to not honor them? And why does the restaurant keep taking reservations if there are already people waiting? We were seated very promptly and everything else was great, but the interactions we had with the host were bizarre.Special Features:
- Always excellentJPfourDined on 9/7/2014La Fonda on Main always delivers. Great food, good serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality food and drinksdiningdivaDined on 9/6/2014I would put great for dining outside, but maybe not during the hot summer time. I had the special steak dish for the evening and it was the most tender steak with great flavor. Great quality food and representation. I highly recommend La Fonda for special occasions and gatherings. A bit pricey, but would go again for a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great San Antonio night out!GreatPatioDined on 9/4/2014We loved the outdoor patio and attentively service. The good was good, especially the homemade chips and vegetarian enchiladas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceTravelfoodieDined on 8/30/2014Brought a group of 9 people for a wonderful dinner outside on the patio. Great food and service. Will be sure to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top 5 Mex in SAdiningdivaDined on 8/30/2014Consistently great Mex in San Antonio. Wonderful innovative menu choices, and excellent Tex Mex as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Drove here...AlwxiDined on 8/30/2014We drove from Austin just to eat here. It's one of our favorites, and the pork in mole is so delicious. The patio is beautiful on a pleasant evening, and the wait staff was prompt and good.Special Features:
- Fitting Celebratinglily22Dined on 8/30/2014My daughter and I celebrated her move to San Antonio with a wonderful supper at La Fonda. The beauty of the setting, natural and easy camaraderie of the servers, inventive and delicious cuisine made this truly memorable. Thank You!Special Features:
- Better Tex MexJazzerciseMomVIPDined on 8/29/2014La Fonda on Main is a cut above the usual Tex Mex with interesting specials and friendly, fast service. They do a brisk business but you don't feel rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid meal and serviceCariAnnDined on 8/23/2014Great appetizers and fish tacos. My daughter hurt herself in the parking lot and the staff was extremely nice and brought her ice, and checked on her several times. Thanks La Fonda!Special Features:
- TastyTexanExpatDined on 8/19/2014Great Mexican food in a historic neighborhood. Lots of space in the shady patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nxr1nxr1Dined on 8/13/2014We all enjoyed our entrees, shrimp, duck tacos & spinach enchiladas. Busy on a Wednesday night. Server friendly & informed. We had a very nice relaxed dinner. This is one of my favorite neighborhood places. I am glad they updated they menu. I will be back.Special Features:
- UpscaleOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/11/2014Not kid friendly on food but everything else was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 8/10/2014What a great place. Always excellent food with the Lawton familySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time at La FondaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014The chips/salsa/queso were AMAZING, truly the best queso I have ever had. But I must say, I was underwhelmed with the main course food quality. I ordered the fish tacos and the fish tasted like chemicals... The corn tortillas were honestly the best part. My fiance enjoyed the "Notalotta" plate but was underwhelmed too, the rice was very dry and the beans had a strange taste. Our friends loved their steak fajitas but also ordered the special - the filet - and the accompaniment was bland and forgettable. The service was stellar and we LOVED our server! We were very excited to try somewhere new but I believe we'd only consider coming back for the back patio and your queso.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellence "On Main"gr8diningonmainstDined on 8/8/2014La Fonda on Main is one of our favorites in San Antonio. The menu offers something for everyone, even those with the most discriminating tastes. The chicken and beef are of the highest quality. Beef is like Prime Tenderloin, not the usual skirt steak used at so many places. Chicken breast could be cut with a fork. Nightly specials are culinary delights with great presentation. The chef creates new desserts that are divine, but don't stay around very long. PLEASE bring back the orange flan!!!! Overall, one can't miss when choosing La Fonda on Main.Special Features:
- First timers loved it here!love2dineDined on 8/8/2014We found a positive review online and decided to visit. We loved it a lot. Great menu selections. Wonderful service and atmosphere. We'd love to come when it not "summertime hot" in San Antonio, and try dining outdoors. Food was delicious and we tried some new dishes too. You will enjoy this place. We thought it was reasonably priced as well.Special Features:
- Convenient!longtimecustomerDined on 8/8/2014The on-line reservations were quick, convenient and accurate. We walked in and were seated immediately. Had a great waiter, and, as usual, the food was superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Mexican FoodTexasBornDined on 8/8/2014Texas born and bred, so I know my mexican food. I can heartily recommend this place for a little bit more of an upscale mexican food experience. The queso is excellent, very rich golden cheese with peppers and such in it. Chips are a bit thick but homemade and really good, as is the red sauce. Fajitas were flavorful, tacos with pork were awesome, stuffed poblano excellent, cheese enchiladas wonderful. Everything my table had was a winner. We ended with the flan which was best ever tasted, according to my father-in-law, who spent most of his life in the Rio Grande valley. If you're looking for Tex-MEx that's been elevated a little, given some gourmet touches, and a fun atmosphere - pick this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nicejdkjtDined on 8/3/2014Quite pace for an early brunch, we enjoyed the food and service as usual!Special Features:
- TastyRoyTDined on 8/2/2014As expected, La Fonda did not disappoint. Service was excellent. The food was tasty.Special Features:
- Our Favorite Mexican Restaurant...Guido0815Dined on 7/26/2014...In San Antonio...and that says it all. They offer Tex-Mex fare, but also traditional Mexican dishes. Then they experiment with some unique flavor combinations that rock the palate. We love it all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a treat!RetiredDined on 7/25/2014My Enchiladas de Espinacas and the La Fonda salad (beets, candied walnuts, goat cheese) and my husband's fish Especialidades - A La Playa were together a lovely dinner! Of course, we started with a traditional margarita to take the heat out of the summer evening. I was a little skeptical about eating on the patio, but we joined the other folks who were outside and found the many fans hidden in the trees created a lovely breeze and we were very comfortable! La Fonda is a dining spot to share with a special someone, or with a group of friends...and I really like eating outside on the patio!Special Features:
- ExcellentSherryDined on 7/13/2014I saw great reviews, but the taxi was worth the food! I heard this is the place for brunch. Their Sunday Meal was amazing. The eggs with queso were the best I have ever had. The bacon was a little spicy but good. The Mexican french toast--To die for! I recommend this place. I have been here for a few days and have yet to enjoy a meal up to par with this restaurant.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 7/12/2014Excellent food and service. Very interesting menu, not just TexMex.Special Features:
- Not to misskiki2mylovesDined on 7/11/2014We live 3 hours away and will always eat here when in San Antonio. In fact, if we are even traveling through San Antonio we always try to stop in for lunch. In other words, if you are close, you always need to stop in! The service and food are top notch.Special Features:
- DisappointedDinnerfor2Dined on 7/8/2014Took my wife for her birthday and was a little disappointed. Food was okay, but nothing special. Tried to eat in the patio which is much quieter than inside the restaurant but weather forced us inside. The noise level was high and tables were close together which made it difficult to carry on a quiet conversation. Our server was somewhat inattentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner ReviewNihonDinerDined on 7/5/2014The dining experience was good. Reservations were ready, wait staff was knowledgeable and efficient, food was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YUMMM and service tooNicknameDined on 7/5/2014We can be picky eaters. No problem. We can be foodies too - they deliver!. We like a nice table. Got it. This is 2nd time eating here; loved it so much during our visit to San Antonio last year, we came back. GREAT GEM!!!!Special Features:
- 4th of July Visit to SAYon57VIPDined on 7/3/2014A friend recommended that any visit to San Antonio include a meal at La Fonda because it its where the locals go for their Tex-Mex. Requests made through Open Table were accommodated; round table as we were a party of 6, not in the center of the noisy part of the restaurant so we could easily visit & 3 separate bills. The server was a little pushy with wanting our drink orders as soon as we were seated before we had even seen the menu (maybe locals already know the drink menu) or were served ice water & tortilla chips/salsa & also disappeared for extended periods during our meal. The food was good, served hot, big portions. Would enjoy sitting on the lovely patio on another visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/1/2014Great mexican food, very good waiter Caleb who explained what was in each plate. Beautiful outdoor patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch the Mexican WayHenryVIPDined on 6/29/2014We go to Sunday Brunch at La Fonda whenever the opportunity presents itself. We recommend that you do to. The menu offers a long list of brunch items, all inspired by Mexican or Tex-Mex cuisine. Many are old standards, but the most interesting are specials that change from week to week. This week, I settled on pancakes with banana cream nestled by a mound of scrambled eggs and bacon. The ensemble was amazing. My wife had a classic Mexican plate featuring a cheese enchilada. Equally good.Special Features:
- Loved ItBigRobDined on 6/28/2014Definitely a great place to enjoy dinner with your loved one and/or friends. Margaritas were to die for. Can't go wrong with this on. Great food, great service and definitely a place I will visit next time in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loved!guymelchanDined on 6/24/2014this was the perfect place for us! the food and atmosphere and service were all great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.