La Fonda on Main
2415 N. Main Ave
San Antonio, TX 78212Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
La Fonda on Main
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.lafondaonmain.com/
- Phone: (210) 733-0621
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily (Monday - Saturday): 11:00am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 3:00pm - 10:30pm
Brunch: Sunday: 10:30am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Traditional Mexican, Mexican
- Executive Chef: Victor Maldonado
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from La Fonda on Main
Located just a few minutes from downtown in architecturally rich Monte Vista, La Fonda on Main is the oldest Mexican food restaurant in San Antonio. La Fonda serves both the best of Tex-Mex cuisine as well as authentic dishes of interior Mexico in a fun and casual setting with beautiful patio dining. Open daily serving lunch and dinner as well as a memorable Sunday brunch menu, we offer a full bar with a wide variety of liquor, beer and wine. Our famous margaritas are made with hand-squeezed limes and your choice of a large selection of tequilas.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
La Fonda on Main - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
La Fonda on Main reviews from OpenTable diners
149 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (99)neighborhood gem (97)good for groups (73)fit for foodies (68)special occasion (64)great for lunch (52)great for brunch (40)romantic (38)kid-friendly (25)hot spot (12)scenic view (11)late-night find (3)notable wine list (2)Show More
- Excellent!francesca123Dined on 11/12/2014Delicious upscale Mexican, taking this food genre to a new level. Excellent service as well. A must when visiting San Antonio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A night at the TheaterPeggyDined on 11/9/2014My husband and I enjoyed a fabulous meal before heading to the Majestic. A great night!Special Features:
- service lackingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014The staff attempted to dissuade me from my of seativoiceseastng great table on the patio because the table had , four chairs and there were two of us. There were v other open tables. We were persistent and enjoyed the better table. Food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An old favorite updated....Foodie1VIPDined on 11/4/2014La Fonda has a long history in San Antonio. The newest owners have managed to retain much of the old--decor, charm, ambience--while adding a more varied menu selection. Fortunately, the La Fonda Special plate continues the best of Mexican food in the tradition of Tex-Mex. From chips and salsa to more contemporary selections this restaurant delivers an excellent experience. Dining on the patio, when weather allows, is an added bonus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always very goodJPfourDined on 11/2/2014Food is always very good and service is never lacking. Great place to take out-of-town guestsSpecial Features:
- Oustanding food and serviceDynamiteDined on 10/25/2014The food was outstanding; only get to San Antonio twice a year and this one of the restaurants I look forward to eating excellent Mexican food. The service was excellent. Ashley attended to our every need and very pleasant. Can't wait to return to San AntonioSpecial Features:
- Friday Evening DinnerTejawatersVIPDined on 10/24/2014We were able to make a reservation 30 minutes ahead. Everything was perfect, as usual.Special Features:
- Very good Mexican off beaten pathNukeitout1Dined on 10/24/2014Wife and I had reservations for outdoor patio. Gorgeous, under large trees and surrounded by lush vegetation. They had big fans running to cool the diners. These were, in our view, unnecessary, and the fan noise and breeze were distracting. Temperature was 80 degrees in late October. Wife ordered fish dish, which she said was excellent. She out-ordered me, since I went with enchiladas that were good but not extraordinary. Chips looked home-made, and they and the salsa were excellent. A couple of miles north of downtown/Riverwalk district, and worth the trip.Special Features:
- Just as good, 70 years later!Traveler5708Dined on 10/24/2014LA FONDA is still the nicest and best Mexican restaurant in San Antonio. My wife, who first knew and liked LA FONDA in the 40's, introduced me to it in the 50's and we still schedule at least one meal there whenever we visit San Antonio, a long way from our home in Virginia!TravelerSpecial Features:
- Wonderful experiencefoodycatVIPDined on 10/23/2014We were celebrating 3 birthdays in our group of 6 and requested outside. The patio is moderate sized but very lovely and private. The little nuts/acorn that fell from the above trees hurt when they hit me (4 times) but actually became a joke between all of us and had us laughing when someone was next to get it. The menu combined the usual fav's with some interesting choices. I had the combo of marinated rib eye and seafood enchilada. The steak was OUTSTANDING, the seafood was good but not great. Margarita's were super good, salsa fresh and tasty, the special empanada's yummy. It was probably the best evening of our 5 day trip. We were treated to one piece of their tres leaches cake for the birthday girls, very yummy.Special Features:
- Not your average Tex-Mex RestaurantMichaelVIPDined on 10/21/2014La Fonda occupies a redone home in a nice residential district 10 minutes by car from the River Walk area. Well worth the drive. Lovely outdoor seating area; helpful, attentive service. But be warned -- this isn't Tex-Mex, but rather an imaginative take on Mexican food in general. Unusual dishes (a special appetizer the night we went was blue crab & Guacamole in small fried trumpets). Quality is great, but the variety and taste may not be what the average diner is looking for. If you are tired of the same old and looking to try something new (or if you are familiar with Mexican cooking and still looking for something new) you'll like La Fonda.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb brunch!TexasSourdoughVIPDined on 10/19/2014Met friends for Sunday brunch. Sat on patio. Busy but not crowded. The food was simply superb - Eggs Benedict over pulled pork and gorditas and an omelette with shrimp were both divine. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Mexican food I have ever hadjapickarDined on 10/17/2014Excellent dining experience from appetizer to dessert. The la fonda layered dip is just awesome, steak fajitas were melt in your mouth tender, and the pumpkin flan was great as well. Would highly recommend this place to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Favorite78212PJDined on 10/17/2014There is no better patio dining than La Fonda on Main.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great San Antonio introduction!WandererVIPDined on 10/17/2014We had just arrived in town and La Fonda was on the list of "must go" places suggested to us. We were impressed! The receptionist suggested outside seating, which was outstanding ... on the verandah, beneath the limbs of one of the huge trees, enjoying the warm evening. Our server was helpful, guiding us through the dishes and checking in with us throughout the meal. We didn't feel rushed and sat back to enjoy the experience plus the ambiance of a great restaurant in a great city ... bravo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing lamb enchiladas!LoveTexasFoodDined on 10/11/2014Someone told me that LaFonda's good days were over, but I went anyway when I was in San Antonio visiting for a weekend. I'm so glad that I decided to go ahead! The food was delicious! We all especially loved the chips (not your usual Mexican restaurant chips!), the lamb enchiladas, and the margaritas (on the rocks with top shelf tequila). If I go back to San Antonio, I'm going to make sure that I go to LaFonda for dinner and I think that my friends will agree.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the usualOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/10/2014The reservation was not quite as helpful as hoped. There was a wedding rehearsal dinner in the other part of the restaurant. The service was not great. Had to ask for water, never received the tortillas/chips were late to the table. They seemed busier than they could handle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service and Great food!Geo14Dined on 10/10/2014Great place to take out of town guests. This time food was exceptional and service was over the top. La Fonda on Main rarely disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The legend of LaFonda lives onoldmanbellVIPDined on 10/10/2014One can be thankful that some things continue and continue to be the best. LaFonda was the best sixty years ago and continues today. It has changed a little with the times, but the atmosphere and the service remain top notch. Using Open Table assures planning for the "rest of the evening", and I appreciate that, as well. And if you're in doubt about what to order.... "old number 7" will never disappoint.Special Features:
- Great Mexican food on MainDrewsDined on 10/10/2014La Fonda has enough range on the menu to satisfy anyone; we had enchiladas, steak fajitas (thick, juicy, and delicious), and fish tacos. We would go more often if they had more variety in the seafood on the menu; the usual Veracruz style and La Playa style were the only choices. What we had was perfect. When we left for the Playhouse at 7, it was packed and people lined up out the door. Prices are reasonable.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not to be missed in San AntonioGeorgiaGirlVIPDined on 10/8/2014This historic restaurant has kept up with the times, and is one of the best places to dine in San Antonio. The atmosphere is fabulous, as is the food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb mexican diningBilyuDined on 10/5/2014This mexican restaurant was the overall favorite of a recent trip by me and my wife to San Antonio. We had determined to eat almost exclusively Mexican or Tex-Mex on this five day trip. We dined at two other Mexican restaurants, both of which were memorable, but La Fonda on Main rated a return visit. Though relatively quiet, that quietness combined with the traditional adobe and wood to create a very enjoyable atmosphere. The food was excellent, fairly traditional tex-mex but a step up in quality. Best of all was the service. Our service person the first night, David, was superbly informed as to the ingredients and preparation of each dish, and was helpful to a fault. We highly recommend this experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experiance like always.AcuribeDined on 10/4/2014My family and I have been eating at La Fonda on main for years and they have always had great service and food. Their drinks are reasonable our favorite is the jalapeño magarita.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to go backmightymouseDined on 10/4/2014Mexican food that's fresh and inventive, on a beautiful patio.Special Features:
- Very overpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/1/2014I ordered a lunchtime Cobb salad and glass of iced tea. For San Antonio, $ 18.00 is very pricey. I have had Cobb salads at Alamo Cafe that would put the one I had to shame. Not only was the Cobb overpriced, it was way undersized. The menu description says there is chicken in the salad. Really? 6 half-inch cubes of chicken does nt make it.
- La Fondamikey43040Dined on 9/29/2014We went to La Fonda on a Trip Advisor recommendation and boy we were not disappointed. Nick our waiter was more than gracious and helpful. Not only did he point out La Fonda specialties on the menu making recommendations he provided us with a lovely conversation on San Antonio and what the city has to offer. The food was outstanding. If you in for a margarita try the cactus pear very good. We look forward to returning to San Antonio and going to La Fonda again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite placesSamanthaVIPDined on 9/28/2014Wonderful food, perfect place to sit outside and enjoy drinks and excellent food in a wonderful atmosphere. Always our family favorite for a special birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maintains its reputationTejawatersVIPDined on 9/22/2014Though it has changed owners, the Lawtons have kept the Berry family friendly atmosphere and excellent food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014Our first time here and we really enjoyed the food and atmosphere was good. Nice view of patio area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014The food was delicious and despite being a busy friday evening, we were seated promptly and the food arrived within a reasonable amount of time.Special Features:
- La FondaJudespDined on 9/15/2014This is a great place. When you walk up to a restaurant on a Monday at 1:30 p.m. and there is a line, you know something is right. Food was terrific and service was as well. We will definitely be back. Fish tacos were first rate.Special Features:
- Wonderful evening in San AntonioTleeeeeDined on 9/14/2014We just loved this place. The atmosphere is fabulous, the architecture is special and the food and service was excellent. Diverse menu with fair prices and a beautiful courtyard. Our waiter Zeke was very professional and knowledgeable about the menu and how to serve. I enjoyed a chorizo and potato soup and the house salad and my husband ordered and loved "The Old # 7" We also had a fried cheese plate that was neither greasy nor breaded. The dipping sauce that went with it was delicious. Great margaritas and art on the walls. Comfortablke chairs and tables and plenty of free parking in a lot across the street.Special Features:
- Muy Bueno!FoodieQueenDined on 9/14/2014We fell in love with this restaurant! Great food and service. Their chicken enchiladas with mole sauce is fabulous, as well as the prickly pear margaritas.Special Features:
- SadinerDined on 9/14/2014Incredible Sunday Brunch on their gorgeous patio! Diverse choices and just wonderful, flavorful food! Dine there all of the time, but first time for brunch - just delicious!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jamieSATXDined on 9/12/2014Wonderful server and great food -- everything was wonderful except for our arrival. We made a reservation on Open Table at 7:25 pm for a table at 7:45 pm. When we arrived, I said "we just made a reservation on Open Table." The host responded that we should never say that, because when we say that we **just** made a reservation, they can put us to the back of the line and not honor the reservation. That seems like such a bizarre business practice. Why allow people to make reservations if when you show up, you threaten to not honor them? And why does the restaurant keep taking reservations if there are already people waiting? We were seated very promptly and everything else was great, but the interactions we had with the host were bizarre.Special Features:
- Always excellentJPfourDined on 9/7/2014La Fonda on Main always delivers. Great food, good serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality food and drinksdiningdivaDined on 9/6/2014I would put great for dining outside, but maybe not during the hot summer time. I had the special steak dish for the evening and it was the most tender steak with great flavor. Great quality food and representation. I highly recommend La Fonda for special occasions and gatherings. A bit pricey, but would go again for a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great San Antonio night out!GreatPatioDined on 9/4/2014We loved the outdoor patio and attentively service. The good was good, especially the homemade chips and vegetarian enchiladas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceTravelfoodieDined on 8/30/2014Brought a group of 9 people for a wonderful dinner outside on the patio. Great food and service. Will be sure to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top 5 Mex in SAdiningdivaDined on 8/30/2014Consistently great Mex in San Antonio. Wonderful innovative menu choices, and excellent Tex Mex as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.