La Fonda on Main
2415 N. Main Ave
San Antonio, TX 78212Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
La Fonda on Main
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.lafondaonmain.com/
- Phone: 2107330621x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily (Monday - Saturday): 11:00am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 3:00pm - 10:30pm
Brunch: Sunday: 10:30am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Traditional Mexican, Mexican
- Executive Chef: Victor Maldonado
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from La Fonda on Main
Located just a few minutes from downtown in architecturally rich Monte Vista, La Fonda on Main is the oldest Mexican food restaurant in San Antonio. La Fonda serves both the best of Tex-Mex cuisine as well as authentic dishes of interior Mexico in a fun and casual setting with beautiful patio dining. Open daily serving lunch and dinner as well as a memorable Sunday brunch menu, we offer a full bar with a wide variety of liquor, beer and wine. Our famous margaritas are made with hand-squeezed limes and your choice of a large selection of tequilas.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
La Fonda on Main - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
La Fonda on Main reviews from OpenTable diners
136 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (96)neighborhood gem (94)special occasion (63)fit for foodies (60)good for groups (56)great for lunch (43)romantic (38)great for brunch (37)kid-friendly (27)scenic view (19)hot spot (13)notable wine list (3)late-night find (2)Show More
- Best Mexican food I have ever hadjapickarDined on 10/17/2014Excellent dining experience from appetizer to dessert. The la fonda layered dip is just awesome, steak fajitas were melt in your mouth tender, and the pumpkin flan was great as well. Would highly recommend this place to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A FavoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/17/2014There is no better patio dining than La Fonda on Main.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing lamb enchiladas!LoveTexasFoodDined on 10/11/2014Someone told me that LaFonda's good days were over, but I went anyway when I was in San Antonio visiting for a weekend. I'm so glad that I decided to go ahead! The food was delicious! We all especially loved the chips (not your usual Mexican restaurant chips!), the lamb enchiladas, and the margaritas (on the rocks with top shelf tequila). If I go back to San Antonio, I'm going to make sure that I go to LaFonda for dinner and I think that my friends will agree.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the usualOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/10/2014The reservation was not quite as helpful as hoped. There was a wedding rehearsal dinner in the other part of the restaurant. The service was not great. Had to ask for water, never received the tortillas/chips were late to the table. They seemed busier than they could handle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service and Great food!Geo14Dined on 10/10/2014Great place to take out of town guests. This time food was exceptional and service was over the top. La Fonda on Main rarely disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The legend of LaFonda lives onoldmanbellVIPDined on 10/10/2014One can be thankful that some things continue and continue to be the best. LaFonda was the best sixty years ago and continues today. It has changed a little with the times, but the atmosphere and the service remain top notch. Using Open Table assures planning for the "rest of the evening", and I appreciate that, as well. And if you're in doubt about what to order.... "old number 7" will never disappoint.Special Features:
- Great Mexican food on MainDrewsDined on 10/10/2014La Fonda has enough range on the menu to satisfy anyone; we had enchiladas, steak fajitas (thick, juicy, and delicious), and fish tacos. We would go more often if they had more variety in the seafood on the menu; the usual Veracruz style and La Playa style were the only choices. What we had was perfect. When we left for the Playhouse at 7, it was packed and people lined up out the door. Prices are reasonable.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not to be missed in San AntonioGeorgiaGirlVIPDined on 10/8/2014This historic restaurant has kept up with the times, and is one of the best places to dine in San Antonio. The atmosphere is fabulous, as is the food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb mexican diningBilyuDined on 10/5/2014This mexican restaurant was the overall favorite of a recent trip by me and my wife to San Antonio. We had determined to eat almost exclusively Mexican or Tex-Mex on this five day trip. We dined at two other Mexican restaurants, both of which were memorable, but La Fonda on Main rated a return visit. Though relatively quiet, that quietness combined with the traditional adobe and wood to create a very enjoyable atmosphere. The food was excellent, fairly traditional tex-mex but a step up in quality. Best of all was the service. Our service person the first night, David, was superbly informed as to the ingredients and preparation of each dish, and was helpful to a fault. We highly recommend this experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experiance like always.AcuribeDined on 10/4/2014My family and I have been eating at La Fonda on main for years and they have always had great service and food. Their drinks are reasonable our favorite is the jalapeño magarita.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to go backmightymouseDined on 10/4/2014Mexican food that's fresh and inventive, on a beautiful patio.Special Features:
- Very overpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/1/2014I ordered a lunchtime Cobb salad and glass of iced tea. For San Antonio, $ 18.00 is very pricey. I have had Cobb salads at Alamo Cafe that would put the one I had to shame. Not only was the Cobb overpriced, it was way undersized. The menu description says there is chicken in the salad. Really? 6 half-inch cubes of chicken does nt make it.
- La Fondamikey43040Dined on 9/29/2014We went to La Fonda on a Trip Advisor recommendation and boy we were not disappointed. Nick our waiter was more than gracious and helpful. Not only did he point out La Fonda specialties on the menu making recommendations he provided us with a lovely conversation on San Antonio and what the city has to offer. The food was outstanding. If you in for a margarita try the cactus pear very good. We look forward to returning to San Antonio and going to La Fonda again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite placesSamanthaDined on 9/28/2014Wonderful food, perfect place to sit outside and enjoy drinks and excellent food in a wonderful atmosphere. Always our family favorite for a special birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maintains its reputationTejawatersDined on 9/22/2014Though it has changed owners, the Lawtons have kept the Berry family friendly atmosphere and excellent food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014Our first time here and we really enjoyed the food and atmosphere was good. Nice view of patio area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014The food was delicious and despite being a busy friday evening, we were seated promptly and the food arrived within a reasonable amount of time.Special Features:
- La FondaJudespDined on 9/15/2014This is a great place. When you walk up to a restaurant on a Monday at 1:30 p.m. and there is a line, you know something is right. Food was terrific and service was as well. We will definitely be back. Fish tacos were first rate.Special Features:
- Wonderful evening in San AntonioTleeeeeDined on 9/14/2014We just loved this place. The atmosphere is fabulous, the architecture is special and the food and service was excellent. Diverse menu with fair prices and a beautiful courtyard. Our waiter Zeke was very professional and knowledgeable about the menu and how to serve. I enjoyed a chorizo and potato soup and the house salad and my husband ordered and loved "The Old # 7" We also had a fried cheese plate that was neither greasy nor breaded. The dipping sauce that went with it was delicious. Great margaritas and art on the walls. Comfortablke chairs and tables and plenty of free parking in a lot across the street.Special Features:
- Muy Bueno!FoodieQueenDined on 9/14/2014We fell in love with this restaurant! Great food and service. Their chicken enchiladas with mole sauce is fabulous, as well as the prickly pear margaritas.Special Features:
- SadinerDined on 9/14/2014Incredible Sunday Brunch on their gorgeous patio! Diverse choices and just wonderful, flavorful food! Dine there all of the time, but first time for brunch - just delicious!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jamieSATXDined on 9/12/2014Wonderful server and great food -- everything was wonderful except for our arrival. We made a reservation on Open Table at 7:25 pm for a table at 7:45 pm. When we arrived, I said "we just made a reservation on Open Table." The host responded that we should never say that, because when we say that we **just** made a reservation, they can put us to the back of the line and not honor the reservation. That seems like such a bizarre business practice. Why allow people to make reservations if when you show up, you threaten to not honor them? And why does the restaurant keep taking reservations if there are already people waiting? We were seated very promptly and everything else was great, but the interactions we had with the host were bizarre.Special Features:
- Always excellentJPfourDined on 9/7/2014La Fonda on Main always delivers. Great food, good serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality food and drinksdiningdivaDined on 9/6/2014I would put great for dining outside, but maybe not during the hot summer time. I had the special steak dish for the evening and it was the most tender steak with great flavor. Great quality food and representation. I highly recommend La Fonda for special occasions and gatherings. A bit pricey, but would go again for a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great San Antonio night out!GreatPatioDined on 9/4/2014We loved the outdoor patio and attentively service. The good was good, especially the homemade chips and vegetarian enchiladas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceTravelfoodieDined on 8/30/2014Brought a group of 9 people for a wonderful dinner outside on the patio. Great food and service. Will be sure to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top 5 Mex in SAdiningdivaDined on 8/30/2014Consistently great Mex in San Antonio. Wonderful innovative menu choices, and excellent Tex Mex as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Drove here...AlwxiDined on 8/30/2014We drove from Austin just to eat here. It's one of our favorites, and the pork in mole is so delicious. The patio is beautiful on a pleasant evening, and the wait staff was prompt and good.Special Features:
- Fitting Celebratinglily22Dined on 8/30/2014My daughter and I celebrated her move to San Antonio with a wonderful supper at La Fonda. The beauty of the setting, natural and easy camaraderie of the servers, inventive and delicious cuisine made this truly memorable. Thank You!Special Features:
- Better Tex MexJazzerciseMomVIPDined on 8/29/2014La Fonda on Main is a cut above the usual Tex Mex with interesting specials and friendly, fast service. They do a brisk business but you don't feel rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid meal and serviceCariAnnDined on 8/23/2014Great appetizers and fish tacos. My daughter hurt herself in the parking lot and the staff was extremely nice and brought her ice, and checked on her several times. Thanks La Fonda!Special Features:
- TastyTexanExpatDined on 8/19/2014Great Mexican food in a historic neighborhood. Lots of space in the shady patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nxr1nxr1Dined on 8/13/2014We all enjoyed our entrees, shrimp, duck tacos & spinach enchiladas. Busy on a Wednesday night. Server friendly & informed. We had a very nice relaxed dinner. This is one of my favorite neighborhood places. I am glad they updated they menu. I will be back.Special Features:
- UpscaleOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/11/2014Not kid friendly on food but everything else was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 8/10/2014What a great place. Always excellent food with the Lawton familySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time at La FondaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014The chips/salsa/queso were AMAZING, truly the best queso I have ever had. But I must say, I was underwhelmed with the main course food quality. I ordered the fish tacos and the fish tasted like chemicals... The corn tortillas were honestly the best part. My fiance enjoyed the "Notalotta" plate but was underwhelmed too, the rice was very dry and the beans had a strange taste. Our friends loved their steak fajitas but also ordered the special - the filet - and the accompaniment was bland and forgettable. The service was stellar and we LOVED our server! We were very excited to try somewhere new but I believe we'd only consider coming back for the back patio and your queso.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellence "On Main"gr8diningonmainstDined on 8/8/2014La Fonda on Main is one of our favorites in San Antonio. The menu offers something for everyone, even those with the most discriminating tastes. The chicken and beef are of the highest quality. Beef is like Prime Tenderloin, not the usual skirt steak used at so many places. Chicken breast could be cut with a fork. Nightly specials are culinary delights with great presentation. The chef creates new desserts that are divine, but don't stay around very long. PLEASE bring back the orange flan!!!! Overall, one can't miss when choosing La Fonda on Main.Special Features:
- First timers loved it here!love2dineDined on 8/8/2014We found a positive review online and decided to visit. We loved it a lot. Great menu selections. Wonderful service and atmosphere. We'd love to come when it not "summertime hot" in San Antonio, and try dining outdoors. Food was delicious and we tried some new dishes too. You will enjoy this place. We thought it was reasonably priced as well.Special Features:
- Convenient!longtimecustomerDined on 8/8/2014The on-line reservations were quick, convenient and accurate. We walked in and were seated immediately. Had a great waiter, and, as usual, the food was superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Mexican FoodTexasBornDined on 8/8/2014Texas born and bred, so I know my mexican food. I can heartily recommend this place for a little bit more of an upscale mexican food experience. The queso is excellent, very rich golden cheese with peppers and such in it. Chips are a bit thick but homemade and really good, as is the red sauce. Fajitas were flavorful, tacos with pork were awesome, stuffed poblano excellent, cheese enchiladas wonderful. Everything my table had was a winner. We ended with the flan which was best ever tasted, according to my father-in-law, who spent most of his life in the Rio Grande valley. If you're looking for Tex-MEx that's been elevated a little, given some gourmet touches, and a fun atmosphere - pick this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.