La Fonda Latino Grill
5350 N. Broadway St.
Chicago, IL 60640Neighborhood:
Latin / SpanishPrice: $30 and under
La Fonda Latino Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.lafondalatinogrill.com/
- Phone: (773) 271-3935
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:00 AM - 3:00 PM, Saturday - Sunday: 11:30 AM - 3:00 PM.
Lunch Buffet: Tuesday - Friday: 11:00 AM - 2:30 PM.
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 3:00 PM - 9:00 PM, Friday - Saturday: 3:00 PM - 9:30 PM, Sunday: 3:00 PM - 8:30 PM.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Argentinean, Latin / Spanish
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Please Inquire Within.
A word from La Fonda Latino Grill
La Fonda specializes in Colombian and Latin dishes. The restaurant has a full bar that"s ready to accommodate with a variety of drinks. Specials are available and they change daily. Moreover, the restaurant is decorated in a contemporary fashion, but with a Colombian theme, adding the more traditional flavor. La Fonda has an extensive list of entree options - along with quite a few specials. We also have famous margaritas which are shaken at the table and are delicious. One of our most famous appetizer;s is the special empanada appetizer - ground beef with raisins. Some popular dishes are the churrasco with chimichurri sauce, the brisket served with multiple sides with the entrees, including great plantains. We have the best service in town and great food. Stop in La Fonda Latino Grill today!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
La Fonda Latino Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
9 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelQuiet
neighborhood gem (6)good for groups (3)fit for foodies (2)romantic (1)special occasion (1)notable wine list (1)great for lunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- RobbyVIPDined on 9/20/2014Five of us had dinner at La Fonda early on a Saturday after a play matinee. Our group likes to share, so we started with a lot of appetizers and followed up with only a couple of entrees. The appetizers were more inventive then the entrees. The entrees were good but not particularly special. The best appetizers we had were: Tostonachos Caribenos, Arepas Rellanas and Arepa de Choclo con Camarones. The deserts were great! The wine list tried to draw on a lot of Latin America, but the selections were modest in quality and price. I definitely recommend La Fonda for the great service, appetizers and desertsSpecial Features:
- Delicious FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/29/2014I didn't know this area before I decided to dine at La Fonda. The location of this restaurant detracts from what is surprisingly delicious food inside. Our family of four didn't expect to be wowed with the flavors and variety of interesting and well-prepared entrees. The service was friendly and responsive. But, the price was higher than what I'd expect to pay, given the plastic menus, tablecloths, and the busy commercial street outside. we had leftovers which were tasty the next day - another good sign that what comes from the kitchen is authentic.Special Features:
- Great food, service!BedfordDined on 8/9/2014Can't wait to return. Food was excellent! Everyone there was SO nice AND offered superb service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 27 reviews are from the La Fonda Latino Grill reviews archive.
- forgotten gem well pricedcptquinlanVIPDined on 7/12/2014Used to go to LaFonda when it first opened and we lived in the area, have not been there in years. So had some folks in from the burbs and decided to revisit - as they get cranky with the city parking, so this was perfect as they always have street parking and when the bank closed you can park there - wow, just like the burbs!! It was great to be back, not much has changed, and that is okay with me! Every dish was wonderful, no complaints, and trust me, the folks we were with would!Had the tilapia in white wine sauce, light, sauce lovely. Hubby had a chicken dish -he raved. Love plaintains & yuca fries. Not overly crowded at the time we went. Tired of the long waits and then so loud can not have a conversation!Special Features:
- Great Colombian Food & ReasonableChicafoodieDined on 6/28/2014The Colombian food is absolutely delicious. The family-owned restaurant provides a very personable environment and our hosts along with waitress were very attentive to our needs. I would be returning again.Special Features:
- YumladybugDined on 6/11/2014Food is great, quiet space good for med-small groups or a romantic date.Special Features:
- Great group experiencehadgoodtimeDined on 6/7/2014We had a small group on a Saturday night and had a great experience. Everyone thought the food was great, as well as the service. We were seated on the upper level, so we didn’t realize the restaurant had been closed for over an hour until we left! There was absolutely no sense of being hurried by our waitress or any of the other staff. They continued to refill our water well after we finished dessert and didn’t bring the check until we asked for it. Their casual demeanor gave us no indication that they had already put up the chairs in the lower section. So, they definitely deserve an “outstanding” in the service category. Our (mild) criticism is that the bright lighting gave a taqueria-feel and betrayed the otherwise charming décor.Special Features:
- Enjoyed La FondamorepleaseVIPDined on 6/4/2014Very nice restaurant. Will definitely go back. Cuisine is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We enjoyed the food, ambienceChicagolove7Dined on 3/15/2014We enjoyed the food, ambience and the service. The hostess served us and we highly recommend this Colombian restaurant.Special Features:
- Truly an unexpected gemRustyHVIPDined on 3/8/2014The food and service were phenomenal. A true family owned and operated restaurants that will accomodate any special requests. The mojitos were awesome. The food was very fresh, great selection and quite delicious. I knew nothing of the restaurant. Found it open table, read through the material and figured I'd give it a try. I am very glad I did. I will certainly return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New go to resturantOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/2/2014Exploring my new neighborhood. Stumbled on this resturant. Food was amazing. Beef was tender and cooked raw as I asked. Subtle flavors. Extensive dining list plus specials. Will definitely go back to explore the rest of the menu. So many choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food has always been goodLovesGoodFoodVIPDined on 12/8/2013Friend and I met at 3:30 on a Sunday and were the only one's there but began to fill up later in the evening. Not your standard mexican food thank goodness. The enchiladas were excellent along with the sweet plaintains. Eaten here at least twice a year for about 5 years and haven't had a bad meal yet. Try the carne asada. Server was extremely accommodating and although not a selection made a pitcher of iced tea for friend.Special Features:
- unusual and delicious dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/8/2013unusual and delicious dinner choices....everything was terrific and attractive. The guava crepes & ice cream are worth a special trip!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful surprise!imwriterDined on 5/16/2013The food was innovative in its combination of different Latin cuisines, and our meal was not only delicious but also a very good value.Special Features:
- ur food was very good andsekislusfudDined on 12/11/2012ur food was very good and the service was excellent. We plan toreturn to explore more menu itemsSpecial Features:
- Not good anymore....RalphmarpleVIPDined on 12/1/2012I was honestly bothered with the decline in the food quality at this place. The service was really nice, very attentive, but the food, OMG. I have been coming to this place for a long time and it used to be a lively atmosphere with great fresh food... My partner and I sat down for dinner, we got stale chips, watered down salsa and our entrees felt like they were reheated. left most of my steak and chicken intact as they were super dry and flavorless. This used to be a nice little place, but why would I pay $18 for dried meat, the only thing that was enjoyable was the fried yuca and the red beans, bot nothing else.... after spending $60 for rice and beans I was very dissapointed and on a Saturday night, should they have their A Game on?!
- Delicious food and very friendlyMashaO413Dined on 11/3/2012Delicious food and very friendly service, what more can one ask for from a good restaurant?Special Features:
- I came here for dinner withOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/2/2012I came here for dinner with my father and thought the food was very good. Menu offers mostly Cuban and some Mexican dishes. Prices are average for the quality and portions. I will definitely return to try more dishes.Special Features:
- I was pleasantly surprisedchefpeachesDined on 9/27/2012I was pleasantly surprised and how delicious my meal was. The service was pleasant, food well balanced and better than I anticipated. i would definitely suggest La Fonda for a pleasant dinner or date.Special Features:
- Our son attends Loyola UniversityOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/8/2012Our son attends Loyola University Lake Shore campus so we are always looking for a new restaurant to try when we visit/take him out for dinner. I found La Fonda Latino Grill on Open Table and the menu looked good so we decided to give it a try. All three of us agreed that this is a place that we not only recommend but that we will come back to. The food was incredible, the wait staff friendly, and some of the best margarita's we've ever had. Definitely recommend giving it a try. We will be back!Special Features:
- A group of friends enjoyedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2012A group of friends enjoyed a delightful meal of shared appetizers before going to a play. Everything we tried was inventive and delicious! We'll definitely go back for a full meal. The entree selection looked enticing.Special Features:
- Great food close to Steep TheaterOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/4/2012My husband and I had dinner here before seeing a performance at the Steep Theater. Food was excellent and our waitress was very attentive, friendly and helpful with recommendations. I had the Enchiladas Cubano and an empanada appetizer. Really delicious with a mix of sweet and savory flavors. We'd definitely return.Special Features:
- Great food, slow serviceToviDined on 3/3/2012The food is great and the restaurant is clean and has a good ambiance. Service was friendly and courteous BUT SLOW. They seem to only have two servers for the whole restaurant and we had to wait a long time to place our order and especially to receive the check.Special Features:
- Excellent food at reasonableGastroPubLVrVIPDined on 12/3/2011Excellent food at reasonable prices! Highly recommended!!Special Features:
- Overall, our 1st experiencejoeliquorVIPDined on 8/20/2011Overall, our 1st experience at La Fonda was good. It was a quiet night and I was expecting more people for a Saturday night. I started with a caipirinha, which was refreshing, but a bit weak alcohol-wise IMO. Service was very good, with our waitress giving good feedback when we asked for recommendations. We started with the AREPA DE CHOCLO CON CAMARONES, which was very tasty and the spinach/mushroom empanadas. We both had specials for the mains. I don't recall what my gf had, but she enjoyed her dish. My special included steak and shrimp. The shrimp were grilled to perfection, but I wished they were bigger. The steak pretty good, albeit closer to medium well than medium. Torta de Chocolate was fabulous. I'd go back for that alonSpecial Features:
- Went at lunch. Lots of grilledEricaDVIPDined on 8/19/2011Went at lunch. Lots of grilled meats available, all done differently and all done well. Lunch buffet is a great deal that many regulars seem to take advantage of. Portions are generous, prices are good. The appetizer sampler is good for at least 4 people (or a lunch meal with leftovers for dinner). House wines are a great bargain (taste great at $5). Might branch into seafood offerings next time.Special Features:
- We had a delightful expeerienceSuziVIPDined on 6/30/2011We had a delightful expeerience at the restuarant. When asked for suggestions they did not shy away and were very helpful. Great Margaritas.Special Features:
- The food was so deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/18/2011The food was so delicious and the service was Great! The Only problem I had was that I expected a larger group. Our gracious server told me tSpecial Features:
- Small, clean, well-run establishmenOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/18/2011Small, clean, well-run establishment. Good food, nice wine list and attentive service all add up to a positive dining experience and a reason to go back.Special Features:
- Limited wine selections available.GeneDined on 5/6/2011Limited wine selections available. Bar traffic was disruptive and reduced the overall experience of the dinner. Food and service were good