2316 Polk St.
San Francisco, CA 94109Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lafolie.com/
- Phone: 4157765577x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
Friday & Saturday:5:00pm-1:00am
We are closed Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Years Day
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Roland Passot
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from La Folie
La Folie is a French restaurant located in Russian Hill of San Francisco. Chef Roland Passot, with his wife Jamie opened La Folie in March of 1988. He combines the freshest ingredients in exotic combinations. Each plate leaves the kitchen resembling art-a canvas of color and design that tastes even better than it looks. La Folie continues to be rated as one of the top restaurants, receiving a star from the Michelin Guide, 4 stars from the San Francisco Chronicle and 4 stars from San Francisco Magazine. In celebration of 21 years, The Passots have expanded their bar into a lounge located next door, perfect for before or after dinner drinks.Continued
**We thank all of our guests for voting La Folie
Best French Restaurant - 7x7 Magazine
Best French Restaurant - San Francisco Magazine
Best French Restaurant - SF Weekly
Best Restaurant - Eater SF
**We thank all of our guests for voting La Folie
Best French Restaurant - 7x7 Magazine
Best French Restaurant - San Francisco Magazine
Best French Restaurant - SF Weekly
Best Restaurant - Eater SF
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
La Folie - Best Restaurants in Russian Hill ›
La Folie reviews from OpenTable diners
174 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (142)fit for foodies (133)romantic (116)notable wine list (86)neighborhood gem (48)hot spot (11)vibrant bar scene (5)good for groups (5)late-night find (3)great for outdoor dining (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- 25 and CountingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/21/2014My wife and I celebrated our 25 year anniversary at La Folie. The food and the service were wonderful. The combinations of flavors and the presentation made for a true fine dining experience. We look forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first fine dining experieneOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014This was my first fine dining experience and I loved it. The food was delicious and beautifully presented. The amuse bouchers were a wonderful surprise (the first was my favorite). The servers knew the menu very well and made us feel so welcome and special.Special Features:
- SJSHDined on 10/18/2014Nice place to celebrate special occasion! Asked to be seated in the green room! Sommelier is knowlegeable. Good service. Entrees were tasteful. The portions are bigger than most French restaurants I've eaten.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great serviceNameVIPDined on 10/17/2014Food was wonderful. Loved the goat cheese tatin. The poached lobster was cooked perfectly; excellent mixture of textures on the plate along with the sauce. The lamb was cooked as ordered (medium rare), but the sauces were outstanding. My brother thought the cauliflower soup had an excellent taste and sturdy, but too watery or too thick of a consistency. He loved his Wagyu beef. The miss was one of the sorbets (apple being the weakest; raspberry excellent). Chocolate fondant was perfect. Service was fine; a bit too structured and rehearsed, but not fussy or overly solicitous. Love the atmosphere - the place is just the right size for an intimate dinner or dinner with a few friends. And it definitely was not loud (kudos for that).
- Always wonderfulOldad41Dined on 10/14/2014Remains one of the most innovative restaurants, high quality ingredients, wonderful and warm service, beautiful preparation and delicious food on each course. My favorite in San FranciscoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A-MA-ZING! C'est vraiment la Folie!jujulebourgDined on 10/11/2014Lovely tucked away 5 star gem boasting reasonable 3, 4 & 5 coarse 'Folie' menues. Follow the Chef's savory line-up or customize your own. Bountiful affectionato wine listing ideal for pairing. Impeccable service ;)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely No Folly Here!FoodCriticSFVIPDined on 10/11/2014La Folie remains one of the best restaurants in the Bay Area. An outstanding wine list, exemplary service and a creative array of food choices. For serious foodies there's no way you can go wrong. Bring plenty of ca$h though. Prices start at $100 per person, excluding wine. Well worth it in my opinion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High Quality food worth the priceEnchanteVIPDined on 10/11/2014This is our second time here, and the food and service was fantastic as before. I have been to restaurants double/triple the price of La Folie with famous reputation, but we find La Folie waaaaayyyyy better, and fairly priced for the high quality dishes. Highly recommended! For the quality of food, quality of service, price point, I think I can safely say that this is the best French Restaurant in SF!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal, could be more special..applejaxVIPDined on 10/11/2014My girlfriend and I celebrated our anniversary at La Folie and were very impressed with the food. Having dinned at Gary Danko and Quince on previously I expected a similar experience with La Folie. At dinner I found that this was not the case, while most of the clientele was well dressed (one man in a tuxedo), several of the patrons were not. One couple dining near us was dressed in t-shirts, jeans, and sneakers, the wife spent the entire meal browsing on her iPad. Another group of 5 or 6 twenty year olds in jeans arrived with a infant only to sit for a few minutes then walk out. We felt this significantly detracted from what was otherwise a very good meal, service was very good despite never receiving a call to confirm our reservations.Special Features:
- Traditional excellenceJohnnyKDined on 10/9/2014Our dinner at La Folie was very well done in the classic French manner. Service was excellent but unobtrusive, food was beautifully presented and prepared with great detail. Great tastes and particularly great sauces.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Dining at its bestFineDinerDined on 10/6/2014The food was out of this world. The flavers, presentation, and service were all top notch. I would highly recommend this restaurant for an amazing fine dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special placeJimboDined on 10/4/2014Excellent food that is both visually and sensually stimulatingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining experienceDebsd222VIPDined on 10/3/2014This is as good as it gets for the overall Old School French Dining. Be sure to start with the caviar, it was the highlight of our meal. Everything was beautiful. Our only letdown course was a trio of oyster, scallop ceviche and hamachi. Everything was covered in TONS of orange roe, masking the favors of everything else. The scallop ceviche was in a creamy sauce, not acidic as I expected. Soft on soft, couldn't taste the scallop. That being said, everything else was really good . Love the bearnaise croquette and the tendon chip. The baked Alaska was gorgeous.Special Features:
- Super amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014The food is just a delight! Everything is delicately cooked and served. It is amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine DiningMIKEVIPDined on 10/1/2014We visited La Folie for my wife's birthday. She was excited because she has wanted to eat there for many years. I was hoping for the best. To our mutual pleasant surprise it turned out to be the most memorable dining experience we have had in at least the past ten years. The food was complex, exquisitely prepared, and most of all wonderful to eat! The dining room was relaxed and quiet, the service was attentive but not intrusive. This is truly a great restaurant and we will keep it at the top of our event dining choices. We thought it was a good sign that Jacques Pepin was having dinner at a nearby table with his wife and friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MJW1Dined on 9/30/2014Food and wine were superb-service was just as good.Special Features:
- Great food, service, presentationEntertainingClientsDined on 9/29/2014Absolutely every part of this meal was outstanding! Excellent service staff was very polite as they brought each course out, explained the ingredients, and even recommended how to eat it! Wine list and expertise was top-notch. Expensive, but worth it for the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Felt like I was back in ParisOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/24/2014This is one of the best French restaurants I've experienced in this area. It's a family-run business; after you dine you get to meet the chef, who comes to your table and asks how you enjoyed it. The servers explain the various dishes and how to enjoy them. The entire experience is more of a tasting: they present an impressive array of items in small portions. One of my guests, a priest from Versailles, very much enjoyed the Nouvelle Cuisine as a "taste of home" as well as the conversation with the chef and his brother, who serves the wine. It was a beautiful evening for everyone.Special Features:
- Amazing MealjtwurthDined on 9/23/2014La Folie was recommended to us by a friend stating that it was his favorite French restaurant in San Francisco. Did I mention our friend is a French Master Chef and a winner of the JBA. It lived up to our expectations. The food was perfection. Service was excellent. They were attentive and helpful. A dinner here will cost you but this was for our wedding anniversary so well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazinglovelyladyDined on 9/22/2014I went to la folie with my mother when we had a long weekend in San Fran .... I found it through tripadvisor ... It was a great restaurant! Everything was delicious, the service was awesome and everything in betweenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Alex C.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/20/2014I had an amazing time celebrating my wife's birthday. The service was impeccable and the food delicious. I really appreciate the attention to detail as we had food restrictions. It was a nice way to celebrate and will remember this night for a while.Special Features:
- Wasnt for meOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/19/2014Obviously a good restaurant but the food was not for me. It was my first time at a French restaurant and had heard amazing reviews but came out of the experience unimpressed. The food was very heavy and the flavors that came out did not agree with my palette. Aside from my general opinion, it was my first time eating snails and I thought they were awesome. girlfriend loved it but she likes French cooking. My guess is that I am not that into French cooking buy if you are then you will love it.Special Features:
- Perfect!LizTDined on 9/19/2014Attentive service, wonderful creative food, couldn't have been better!Special Features:
- Highly RecommendKapmanDined on 9/17/2014It was our 21st Anniversary and the restaurant simply treated us like king and queen throughout the evening without overdoing it. We sat in the best seat in the house in the front window area. Server was a veteran and professional. He provided great recommendations and did not push the most expensive items (ie five courses versus three or four), simply what he thought we would enjoy based on our interaction. We had three courses plus started with a half portion of caviar. The dessert course had a nice touch of 21st Anniversary chocolate. It was a wonderful evening and dining experience. Great choice and highly recommend. Chef visited the table to see if we were enjoying our evening.......always a nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014The food and service at La Folie is excellent. Keep in mind you will most likely be there 3 hrs so this is not a place to bring your kids.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary nightOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/13/2014They took the extra time to make or night special. They even put the flowers I delivered out on our table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/12/2014The food was incredible, and the service was outstanding! We had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- renobobDined on 9/11/2014The cuisine was as good as Le Cirque in the 1980's in NYC and Bras, a Michelin starred restaurant where I dined in France. The server, Diane, deserves a sixth star.Special Features:
- High hopes but disappointedMistyVIPDined on 9/6/2014From the reviews, we had very high expectations of La Folie. The meal started off well - the corn soup and burrata salad were outstanding. The second course was escargot, but one of the snails was sandy and tasted bad. With the third course the beef was excellent, but the scallop dish included a poached oyster. When I cut into the oyster, gray ooze ran out onto my plate and the smell from the inerts was overwhelming and made both of us lose our appetites. I did appreciate when I let the wait staff know I had gotten a bad oyster the chef came out to talk to us and assured us the oyster was fresh and that is how they are when they are poached. If that is the case I would leave the oyster out or prepare it differently.Special Features:
- Great food, great nightlerchDined on 9/6/2014The tasting menu was 100% fantastic. There were interesting things, and comforting things, and all of it was delicious. You'll be stuffed by the end too so don't worry that it will be so delicate that you'll need a supplementary meal afterwards. It seems that there are some complaints when people pick off their a la carte menu, but the tasting menu is the true way to experience the place anyway so don't bother with anything else. The only complaint I would have is that over the course of the meal we had 3 different people delivering the food. The courses were complex enough to mandate a description when they arrived, and the waiters were greatly varied in how clear the description was. But a minor flaw to be sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOW!HyperCriticDined on 9/6/2014Dinner at La Folie was just amazing. Every dish was exceptional: wonderful flavor, interesting combinations, lovely presentation. This was the first time we were seated in the 'back' room which is quieter, more intimate and romantic. What a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- paulVIPDined on 9/5/2014SUPERB WORLD CLASS INNOVATIVE FOOD. ROLAND PASSOT MAY BE THE BEST CHEF IN CALIFORNIA. VERY PROFESSIONAL SERVICE A BRILLIANT PLACE AND HAS BEEN FOR 25YEARSSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as on previous visitsOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/5/2014This used to be our favorite fine dining restaurant in SF. Unfortunately, we were disappointed on our last visit. We were seated in a back room, not the main dining room where we previously have always eaten (I made the reservation months in advance). Our waitress was not great--somewhat condescending and did not provide the type of service I expect in a fine dining restaurant. This was despite the fact that we started with caviar service in addition to the $85 3 course menu and ordered a $200+ bottle of wine. I especially didn't care for her omitting some of the "gifts from the chef" that we have had on previous visits and were brought to other tables. Highlight was George, the sommelier. Always makes great suggestions!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/5/2014Wonderful and inventive menu. Great service. Outstanding all the way around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeBreadboyy2002Dined on 9/2/2014Amazing! A meal of a lifetime! Every bit was perfect, really. I could since that all the tables felt like they were getting extra special treatment, and they were. Everybody feels like the restaurant opened just for them. I can not express how thankful we are that we got to experience La Folie!Special Features:
- More to fine dining than food...smokyDined on 8/30/2014The food and the wine, as far as we were able to enjoy them, were impeccable, but the overall dining experience horrible as the back room's ambient temperature must have been about 100 degrees Fahrenheit. The chef acknowledged the issue to us - so why did La Folie choose to seat people in that room? I am not impressed at all, especially for a venue at this price point. Fine dining is something we enjoy and make an event of. We had booked a suite at a top hotel for this evening and felt the physical effects of sitting in the overbearing heat well into the next day.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/30/2014We had unforgettable experience. Food and service were perfect. Thanks for very nice evening.Special Features:
- Exquisite Dining ExperiencePeggyVIPDined on 8/29/2014Incredible French cuisine-- we loved each course and surprises. Portions were ample. Service was attentive and friendly--overall wonderful experience. Highly recommend for not only a special occasion but just to indulge yourself to a lovely evening which was what my friend & I did.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious dinnerthereseVIPDined on 8/25/2014We had a wonderful birthday dinner at La Folie. The tempura duck egg, lobster and mushroom risotto (with shaved truffles), rabbit, quail/squab and peach melba baked alaska were all delicious with a careful attention to detail that I really appreciate. There are few restaurants in the area that I would recommend for a very special occasion, but this is definitely one of them, if not the best. The restaurant was busy, but the noise level was very manageable and the service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As good as everyone saysqwerty1Dined on 8/23/2014Food: amazing complex flavors (most importantly). amazing presentation. chef provided tasters throughout the meal which were a great break from the things I ordered. Service: OUTSTANDING, from the front of house, to our server, to the supplemental servers - everyone was very attentive, well versed on the menu, and service was very smooth. Ambiance: Romantic and formal for the SF food scene. Decor is old-school, which is a lovely break from all the modern restaurants these days.Special Features: